MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

How to check ROM set version?
#272618 - 01/10/12 08:18 AM

How do you check what ROM set version you have for a particular game? For example, if you download the parent ROM set for the game "Simpsons", how do you know what version that ROM set is?

(I'm just using a random game as an example)

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: How to check ROM set version? new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#272633 - 01/10/12 03:04 PM

> How do you check what ROM set version you have for a particular game? For example, if
> you download the parent ROM set for the game "Simpsons", how do you know what version
> that ROM set is?
>
> (I'm just using a random game as an example)

There are no tools that do that.

Just fix your ROMs and use the latest version of MAME. It's not practical to keep 27 versions of MAME to run your wrong ROMs.

S

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: How to check ROM set version? new [Re: Sune]
#272656 - 01/10/12 07:38 PM

> There are no tools that do that.
>
> Just fix your ROMs and use the latest version of MAME. It's not practical to keep 27
> versions of MAME to run your wrong ROMs.

What Sune said. MAWS used to inform the MAME versions a romset changed files but that's all, not further explanation about what changed and where it went. If you ever need romsets for a specific MAME version, you would need a painful collection called "MAME rollback" idling in your hard disk. It's probably even bigger than a complete MAME set without CHDs.

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

Re: How to check ROM set version? new [Re: BIOS-D]
#272660 - 01/10/12 08:52 PM

> It's probably even bigger than a complete MAME set without CHDs.

MAME 0.144 (No CHDs) 41.5GB
Rollback 0.144 7.05GB

Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: How to check ROM set version? new [Re: AeroCityMayor]
#272663 - 01/10/12 09:25 PM

> > It's probably even bigger than a complete MAME set without CHDs.
>
> MAME 0.144 (No CHDs) 41.5GB
> Rollback 0.144 7.05GB

Really? It's been a long time since the last time I saw any info about that collection. Of course, MAME too has added a lot of sets since then. Anyway, if anyone need things like CPS-2 XOR files or bad dumped NEOGEO MVS "M" files, "MAME Rollback" is the best option.

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Re: How to check ROM set version? new [Re: BIOS-D]
#272681 - 01/11/12 02:48 AM

I don't have nor want the complete MAME set/library. I have just one version of MAME, version 0.144. All my ROMs work fine. I was just curious if there was a way to check what version ROM sets are. It appears there is no tool to do that.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: How to check ROM set version? new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#272688 - 01/11/12 03:53 AM

> I was just curious if there was a way to check
> what version ROM sets are. It appears there is no tool to do that.

You could probably set up multiple versions of MAME in clrmamepro and scan your ROMs with each version to see which results in the most complete sets, but that would be fairly labor intensive.

The problem is that a zip of ROM files for a specific game may go through many versions of MAME with no changes at all, so there's no definitive way to look at a given zip file and say that it's for a specific single version of MAME. Now take this problem and multiply it by 6000 or however many sets there are in MAME and you see why such a tool as you describe will never exist.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 446 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 21069