MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Baseball bat for home defense, metal or wood? How long?
#272509 - 01/09/12 04:32 AM

The gun argument is lost and hopeless so what kind of bat should I get my friend for her first apartment? (Her father got her a pistol which she refused.)

If someone breaks into her place I want her to have SOMETHING a bit more substantial than the iPhone while she's making a run for it...

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Baseball bat for home defense, metal or wood? How long? new [Re: aavada]
#272512 - 01/09/12 04:48 AM

> The gun argument is lost and hopeless so what kind of bat should I get my friend for
> her first apartment? (Her father got her a pistol which she refused.)
>
> If someone breaks into her place I want her to have SOMETHING a bit more substantial
> than the iPhone while she's making a run for it...

Wood. Metal will vibrate if you hit bone, and probably hurt her hands more than the intruder. Go for a light weight. You want speed over mass in this case. Ash is preferable over maple, but either will do. If the maple bat splits she can use it as a stake.

(obligatory "That's just what I've heard" statement)

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#272513 - 01/09/12 04:58 AM

Wasp and Hornet spray. The kind that sprays 25+ feet.

I'm sure that would drop anyone to the floor if you sprayed them in the face! Plus, she won't feel guilty like if she killed the fucker with a gun.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#272517 - 01/09/12 05:14 AM Attachment: vandamnit.jpg 206 KB (1 downloads)

Get her one of these.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

aavada
master of unlocking
Send PM

Re: Baseball bat for home defense, metal or wood? How long? new [Re: redk9258]
#272519 - 01/09/12 05:19 AM

> Wasp and Hornet spray. The kind that sprays 25+ feet.

Excellent idea! She doesn't want a gun because it's going to be "the hangout" and all of her friends have little kids who'll surely be nosing around every chance they get. This may be acceptable though.

aavada
master of unlocking
Send PM

I would if I could... _nt_ new [Re: Smitdogg]
#272520 - 01/09/12 05:20 AM

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: I would if I could... _nt_ new [Re: aavada]
#272523 - 01/09/12 05:26 AM Attachment: topheavy.jpg 191 KB (1 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#272524 - 01/09/12 05:27 AM

> > Wasp and Hornet spray. The kind that sprays 25+ feet.
>
> Excellent idea! She doesn't want a gun because it's going to be "the hangout" and all
> of her friends have little kids who'll surely be nosing around every chance they get.
> This may be acceptable though.

Better yet, why not get her pepper spray which is specifically designed for the purpose? She can keep one in the nightstand and one in her purse. She'll be far more likely to be able to use it effectively than a baseball bat. Plus, if any little kids get into it, they won't suffer any permanent damage and they'll learn an important lesson about messing with other people's things.

aavada
master of unlocking
Send PM

Re: Baseball bat for home defense, metal or wood? How long? new [Re: DMala]
#272525 - 01/09/12 05:37 AM

> Plus, if any little kids get into it, they won't suffer any permanent damage and they'll learn an important lesson about messing with other people's things.

I like your style.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#272554 - 01/09/12 02:53 PM

> The gun argument is lost and hopeless so what kind of bat should I get my friend for
> her first apartment? (Her father got her a pistol which she refused.)
>
> If someone breaks into her place I want her to have SOMETHING a bit more substantial
> than the iPhone while she's making a run for it...

Good choice. What some gun owners don't foresee is a personal weapon can be used against you too.

It may look ugly to some of you, but I love my windows with bars and my concrete house. Plus a concrete wall and a metallic door bordering the terrain. We don't have the "a thief broke in through my window at night while I was sleeping" non-sense.

BTW, what about tasers? It could be handy along the pepper spray.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#272573 - 01/09/12 08:45 PM

As far as mace or sprays are concerned, those are for stunning an assailant to securing your own retreat, and aren't intended for "defend in place" situations like home invasion since they don't stop the threat.

>She doesn't want a gun because it's going to be "the hangout" and all
> of her friends have little kids who'll surely be nosing around every chance they get.

If that's truly the objection to the gun, then what she needs is a biometric gun safe...

It will keep the kids out, but can be opened in 1 second flat.

Outside of that, she's crazy to confront a potentially armed intruder with a bat or spray. When you confront someone in a life-or-death situation, you want a significant advantage, and you want the confrontation over as fast as possible. She's better to find a nice place to hide until the intruder is gone, or even to suffer at their mercy without confrontation, than she is confronting them with irritants or contests of strength. THAT will more likely get her killed. That would be my advice to her... no bat.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Baseball bat for home defense, metal or wood? How long? new [Re: GatKong]
#272593 - 01/10/12 01:42 AM

> As far as mace or sprays are concerned, those are for stunning an assailant to
> securing your own retreat, and aren't intended for "defend in place" situations like
> home invasion since they don't stop the threat.
>
> > She doesn't want a gun because it's going to be "the hangout" and all
> > of her friends have little kids who'll surely be nosing around every chance they
> get.
>
> If that's truly the objection to the gun, then what she needs is a biometric gun
> safe...
>
>
> It will keep the kids out, but can be opened in 1 second flat.
>

Right. That said, a gun should never be purchased for someone who isn't actively involved in the purchase, if they haven't got one already. A person needs to want to learn how to use a gun safely and properly, or they will make mistakes, which are liable to get the wrong people hurt or killed.

> Outside of that, she's crazy to confront a potentially armed intruder with a bat or
> spray. When you confront someone in a life-or-death situation, you want a significant
> advantage, and you want the confrontation over as fast as possible. She's better to
> find a nice place to hide until the intruder is gone, or even to suffer at their
> mercy without confrontation, than she is confronting them with irritants or contests
> of strength. THAT will more likely get her killed. That would be my advice to her...
> no bat.

Again, training is essential if you're going to go beyond "run away and hide."

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Baseball bat for home defense, metal or wood? How long? new [Re: TriggerFin]
#272602 - 01/10/12 04:31 AM

Agree with advice given above.

The BIG thing though is frame of mind. If you are going to pull a weapon on someone - even a low life, meth addict who has broken into your house - then you must be 100% prepared to use it, or it will be used against you. Don't pull a weapon as a deterent. Don't pull a weapon unless you are fully prepared to use it.

Gun, mace, taser, etc infinitely better than baseball bat especially in tight, indoor situations, and/or when confronting a potentially bigger / stronger / more deperate foe.

Also, get her to read and appreciate this excellent article (posted / discussed around here a month or so ago):
http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-truth-about-violence/

Moose

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Baseball bat for home defense, metal or wood? How long? new [Re: DMala]
#272604 - 01/10/12 05:05 AM

The only drawback to the irritant route is that an apartment is an enclosed space. You're just as likely to tag yourself along with your intruder in a small area. Then not only are you affected by your deterent, now you're trapped in a small area with an assailant who may or may not be partially incapacitated, with or without a weapon of their own, probably tweakin' on meth or bath salts, but is now most definetly PISSED OFF at you. I believe that's why they say on them 'Not For Indoor Use'.(the sprays not the metheads:)
If she's not going to go all out with the gun, it's not worth the chance of it NOT scaring them off and having to use it if she can't. Dialing 911 and winning a game of hide & seek is her best chance.

My :PIF

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

#272605 - 01/10/12 05:10 AM

How about a dog?

When my wife and I were dating and we lived in separate apartments she used to put a pair of my shoes outside her doorstep, making it look like a man was inside. I've heard that might ward off potential creeps/stalkers.

Another good one for the ladies would be a keychain kubotan that looks harmless until it's in your hands. Handy for slashing at a baddy and getting away.

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Re: Baseball bat for home defense, metal or wood? How long? new [Re: Hizzout]
#272621 - 01/10/12 08:31 AM

> How about a dog?
>
> When my wife and I were dating and we lived in separate apartments she used to put a
> pair of my shoes outside her doorstep, making it look like a man was inside. I've
> heard that might ward off potential creeps/stalkers.
>
> Another good one for the ladies would be a keychain kubotan that looks harmless until
> it's in your hands. Handy for slashing at a baddy and getting away.

Depending on the neighborhood one lives in, those pair of shoes would get stolen overnight... so it's best not to be a pair of Air Jordans

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1904