MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Has anyone ever seen a MAME cabinet in a real Arcade?
#271984 - 01/02/12 07:51 AM

Has anyone ever seen a MAME cabinet in a real arcade? (I'm not talking about someone's personal arcade that they have at their residence. I'm talking about a place where people go and pay to play arcade games.) Because isn't it technically illegal for an arcade owner to make money off of his customers by using a MAME cabinet? I hope it would be illegal, it would be messed up if someone did that. From my understanding of what I read at the official MAME website, it is illegal to do that. But if it was legal, instead of paying hundreds and even thousands of dollars for a single, arcade machine... an arcade owner could just use a MAME cabinet. And I've never seen or heard of an arcade owner doing this. So I was just curious if anyone has ever seen or heard of someone doing something messed up like this.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Has anyone ever seen a MAME cabinet in a real Arcade? new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#271988 - 01/02/12 08:18 AM

Yes, it has been done. As a matter of fact MAME emulates an arcade PCB that is running MAME. And, yes it is illegal and against the MAME license.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Has anyone ever seen a MAME cabinet in a real Arcade? new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#271991 - 01/02/12 08:37 AM

I doubt it was MAME, but it was a multi-game... thingy. It had a LONG list of games to scroll through. It did strike me as very odd -of course. "odd" as in wrong.

LEVEL-4

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Has anyone ever seen a MAME cabinet in a real Arcade? new [Re: redk9258]
#271999 - 01/02/12 09:58 AM

> Yes, it has been done. As a matter of fact MAME emulates an arcade PCB that is
> running MAME. And, yes it is illegal and against the MAME license.

Are you referring to this?: "Classical Game Collection [39 in 1] (c) 2004 Unknown"

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#272002 - 01/02/12 11:14 AM

> Has anyone ever seen a MAME cabinet in a real arcade? (I'm not talking about

I cannot find a real arcade...

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Has anyone ever seen a MAME cabinet in a real Arcade? new [Re: Robbbert]
#272004 - 01/02/12 12:40 PM

> I cannot find a real arcade...

+1

Arcades are just as dead down 'Mexico' way. A few DDR type games, post-2008 fighting games (e.g. sucky), old games like Daytona (or one of its hacked 'updates'), a Time Crisis/Point Blank/HOTD type shooter of some sort, the usual redemption/photo/claw games and games entirely in Japanese that I can't understand (speaking of which, it really is a spot the Aussie inside a video arcade, the majority of people in there are Asian). The most off-putting thing is, most of the games are $2 per credit or card-only (so they can set them up in increments of $1.20 or whatever). The oldest game I've seen in a long time was a TMNT, but that was in a pizza store, not a video arcade. No Neo-Geos, no Street Fighters (except the latest one), no Mortal Kombats, no early Tekken (pre-5), and most certainly no golden era games like Pac-Man.

The real arcades in Victoria these days are the gaming rooms, just make sure you have photo ID before you enter...

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#272006 - 01/02/12 01:10 PM

I did. they had MAME running that, and worse... with my own frontend as a GUI.

I told the owner (who is a moron and an idiot kid), to remove those cabinets with MAME.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#272008 - 01/02/12 01:47 PM

> Has anyone ever seen a MAME cabinet in a real arcade? (I'm not talking about
> someone's personal arcade that they have at their residence. I'm talking about a
> place where people go and pay to play arcade games.) Because isn't it technically
> illegal for an arcade owner to make money off of his customers by using a MAME
> cabinet? I hope it would be illegal, it would be messed up if someone did that. From
> my understanding of what I read at the official MAME website, it is illegal to do
> that. But if it was legal, instead of paying hundreds and even thousands of dollars
> for a single, arcade machine... an arcade owner could just use a MAME cabinet. And
> I've never seen or heard of an arcade owner doing this. So I was just curious if
> anyone has ever seen or heard of someone doing something messed up like this.

In Trowbridge UK, I think I saw a milkshake shop with one running what I thought was MAME. It was only 20p and I always wanted to try it, but alas, I moved to Cheltenham before I could..

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#272015 - 01/02/12 05:06 PM

> > Yes, it has been done. As a matter of fact MAME emulates an arcade PCB that is
> > running MAME. And, yes it is illegal and against the MAME license.
>
> Are you referring to this?: "Classical Game Collection [39 in 1] (c) 2004 Unknown"

Yup. There are literally dozens of "XXX-in-1" PCBs (some are just pre-packaged JAMMA PCs) that are intended to make money using MAME (and yes, it's illegal). Tim S. has one called "Happy Fish 302-in-1" up and running in MAME now (it uses modified GP2X ports of MAME, FBA, and some Neo Geo emulator running on Linux).

Hence the ton-of-bricks that often ensues when people ask about hooking up a coin slot to MAME or removing MAME's on-screen UI; we obviously can't stop talented people from doing so, but at least there's *some* barrier to entry.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: Has anyone ever seen a MAME cabinet in a real Arcade? new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#272017 - 01/02/12 05:33 PM

> I did. they had MAME running that, and worse... with my own frontend as a GUI.

That must have been a great conversation...

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Has anyone ever seen a MAME cabinet in a real Arcade? new [Re: italie]
#272030 - 01/02/12 08:52 PM

> That must have been a great conversation...

Any chance it's on youtube somewhere?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Has anyone ever seen a MAME cabinet in a real Arcade? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#272035 - 01/02/12 11:00 PM

I plan to complete a project similar to this with a larger coin box for use with CoinOPS3 and the Xbox. Great for collecting loose change.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: Has anyone ever seen a MAME cabinet in a real Arcade? new [Re: B2K24]
#272058 - 01/03/12 01:03 AM

no.
I just told him those cabinets were illegal and I was going to call the cops.
he replied that he didn't care.

and so I did. called the police, told them there was illegal arcade cabinets there. the police did nothing, as usual.

but, since he used to play very loud music all the time, specially at Saturday nights.
neighbors complained about the loud music, and he got screwed.

the police finally shut his place down, and he got a huge fine, due to the illegal arcade machines, but also for selling booze to minors...

I didn't say anything about he using my frontend.
it's freeware and open source. if you want to use EL for profit, that's your call, but if I find out...

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

Quantum Leaper
OCRer and Monkey Typist for Galaxy Game
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Orion spiral arm of the Milky Way
Send PM

Re: Has anyone ever seen a MAME cabinet in a real Arcade? new [Re: Robbbert]
#272060 - 01/03/12 01:34 AM

> > Has anyone ever seen a MAME cabinet in a real arcade? (I'm not talking about
>
> I cannot find a real arcade...

There is a Nickel arcade across town, but I have been there in years.

I have seen a Mame cabinet at a nickel arcade near Chicago once, it was set for free play, and had about 20 games in it from different companies. I think it was around 2004, I do know the arcade is gone now, the build it was in is long gone also. It's a restaurant now that serves over priced crappy food.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Has anyone ever seen a MAME cabinet in a real Arcade? new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#272077 - 01/03/12 03:47 AM

> no.
> I just told him those cabinets were illegal and I was going to call the cops.
> he replied that he didn't care.

That's when you take a baseball bat to those MAME cabinets.

Brian Deuel
Old Man
Reged: 01/09/04
Send PM

Re: Has anyone ever seen a MAME cabinet in a real Arcade? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#272082 - 01/03/12 04:15 AM

> Yup. There are literally dozens of "XXX-in-1" PCBs (some are just pre-packaged JAMMA
> PCs) that are intended to make money using MAME (and yes, it's illegal). Tim S. has
> one called "Happy Fish 302-in-1" up and running in MAME now (it uses modified GP2X
> ports of MAME, FBA, and some Neo Geo emulator running on Linux).
>
> Hence the ton-of-bricks that often ensues when people ask about hooking up a coin
> slot to MAME or removing MAME's on-screen UI; we obviously can't stop talented people
> from doing so, but at least there's *some* barrier to entry.

There's one of those XXX-in-1 games at the local Game and Trade for a quarter a play, plus another one at an 80s-themed bar in downtown Grand Rapids, MI.

I built my cabinet back in 1999 using an early prototype of the iPac that Andy Warne of Ultimarc designed (I still have it. Anyone want it?) to help him test and debug the device. I don't remember how many inputs it had (8, maybe?) but I was able to hook up the coin switches and, if I recall correctly, used a front-end that removed the startup UI messages that were in MAME at that time. This was all before I bought my arcade/pool hall in 2000, so I never operated it (it was dismantled when the PC monitor in it died), and wouldn't have in the first place, as I was part of MAMEDEV at the time and I had built it for my own pleasure. After getting into the business, it sat idle most of the time, as it just wasn't the same to me as the real thing that I was able to collect and play at that time. Even if I would have wanted to use it to make money, it wouldn't have, as the kids that hung out there played the more modern games and rarely coined up the games on my classic wall in the first place...

"One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces!"- Nick Mason, Pink Floyd

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/28/10
Send PM

#272098 - 01/03/12 07:46 AM

While travelling in the sunshine coast of Australia about 3 years ago I took my kids to a children's play center that had an arcade cabinet that played Galaga and maybe some other games, I can't remember. I figured out that it was MAME when the system rebooted and I saw the BIOS come up and a Windows desktop flashed at one point with shortcuts named something that suggested MAME, can't remember what they were exactly, but I remember being convinced it was MAME.

I am pretty sure that it was pay-to-play too.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Has anyone ever seen a MAME cabinet in a real Arcade? new [Re: ]
#272102 - 01/03/12 09:02 AM

> I plan to complete a project similar to this with a larger coin box for use with
> CoinOPS3 and the Xbox. Great for collecting loose change.

Aaaaand the thread locks in 5... 4... 3...

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Has anyone ever seen a MAME cabinet in a real Arcade? new [Re: DMala]
#272103 - 01/03/12 09:31 AM

I don't understand the logic in locking a thread like this one. 99.9% of threads should never be locked.

If it was a joke in response to his comment, then nevermind my post.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#272104 - 01/03/12 09:41 AM

> I don't understand the logic in locking a thread like this one. 99.9% of threads
> should never be locked.

Rule 9.
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/rules.php?Cat=

- Stiletto

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#272105 - 01/03/12 10:54 AM

> I plan to complete a project similar to this with a larger coin box for use with
> CoinOPS3 and the Xbox. Great for collecting loose change.

prepare to be sniped

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Has anyone ever seen a MAME cabinet in a real Arcade? new [Re: Stiletto]
#272106 - 01/03/12 11:43 AM

> > I don't understand the logic in locking a thread like this one. 99.9% of threads
> > should never be locked.
>
> Rule 9.
> http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/rules.php?Cat=
>
> - Stiletto

Oh ok. But wait, where did he mention a coin drop box with a MAME cabinet? I think he mentioned X-Box and CoinOPS3, not MAME.

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

#272228 - 01/05/12 07:05 AM

Isn't it sad Schooly that this state hardly has any arcades?
We need more arcades in NJ.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Has anyone ever seen a MAME cabinet in a real Arcade? new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#272230 - 01/05/12 07:15 AM

> Isn't it sad Schooly that this state hardly has any arcades?
> We need more arcades in NJ.

True. The only real arcades I know of are down the shore on the boardwalk. I even think the Fun N Games arcade at the Willowbrook Mall closed down too. That was the last remaining arcade that was in the area.

By the way, out of curiousity, what town do you live in?

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

#272248 - 01/05/12 07:42 PM

Yes, Fun and Games is no more.I live in Union City.the only mall arcade that I know of is in Jersey Gardens. The closest arcade by me is in Jersey City called Barcade.It just opened and its filled with classics and a bar.Not a bad hangout.the link is here
http://barcadejerseycity.com/

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#272257 - 01/06/12 12:02 AM

I've seen a few here in Brazil. One of them in a huge mall close to where I live. It's gone now, nobody was playing it I guess.

S

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#272261 - 01/06/12 12:36 AM

> > > I don't understand the logic in locking a thread like this one. 99.9% of threads
> > > should never be locked.
> >
> > Rule 9.
> > http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/rules.php?Cat=
> >
> > - Stiletto
>
> Oh ok. But wait, where did he mention a coin drop box with a MAME cabinet? I think he
> mentioned X-Box and CoinOPS3, not MAME.

Thank you!

What is wrong in putting a coinbox in a Home Mame machine? Heck nearly all I see on the webs these days have a coin or token slot. Yes I know about commercial scumbags.

Actually I was checking so see if you girls got your panties in a bunch over CoinOPS3. Which works pretty damn well on a P3...But a hobby coinbox connected to a Xbox with an X Arcade? Geesh!

This place is sounding more like those weirdos on KLOV.

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

#272272 - 01/06/12 02:00 AM

> What is wrong in putting a coinbox in a Home Mame machine? Heck nearly all I see on
> the webs these days have a coin or token slot. Yes I know about commercial scumbags.

You just answered your own question.

I doubt that anyone here is against people making the coinboxes on their home-use-only MAME cabinets functional - and I'll stick my neck out here and admit that my (also HUO) MAME cabinet does have functional coin slots. But, as you brought up, there's little to stop someone putting one on location and making money from it - and I'm fairly certain that one running on location will not have 'add credit' buttons on the control panel (like the one in my basement does) for times when I'm out of change or feeling too lazy to use the coin slots.

> Actually I was checking so see if you girls got your panties in a bunch over
> CoinOPS3. Which works pretty damn well on a P3...But a hobby coinbox connected to a
> Xbox with an X Arcade? Geesh!

Got news for you: those have also been repackaged for use on location. Same was done (IIRC) with the Dreamcast, so it's nothing new and still remains a legal problem for MAME if a lawyer feels like pushing the point.

> This place is sounding more like those weirdos on KLOV.

Good job! I'm sure that nobody here is "one of those weirdos", as you chose to put it. No cross-pollination between forums at all in this hobby, oh no...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 240 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3894