MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

windows 8 preview and media player
#271855 - 12/31/11 07:09 AM

Welp gave win8 preview a try with its latest ver of media player built in. Still corrupts mp3s with the TXXX tag in them. 3 years later and *STILL* broke...

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: windows 8 preview and media player new [Re: lharms]
#271861 - 12/31/11 08:15 AM

> Welp gave win8 preview a try with its latest ver of media player built in. Still
> corrupts mp3s with the TXXX tag in them. 3 years later and *STILL* broke...

They better taylor a copy of Win8 to a PC, cause that tablet-themed shit isn't going to fly with a mouse and keyboard.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#271864 - 12/31/11 08:52 AM

> Welp gave win8 preview a try with its latest ver of media player built in. Still

What is a TXXX tag? I think you can turn off downloading any additional information / tagging. Look in options.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: windows 8 preview and media player new [Re: italie]
#271865 - 12/31/11 08:52 AM

> They better taylor a copy of Win8 to a PC, cause that tablet-themed shit isn't going
> to fly with a mouse and keyboard.

It's easily disabled.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: windows 8 preview and media player new [Re: redk9258]
#271867 - 12/31/11 09:01 AM

I think you need to make your MP3 files read-only, then hope that windows honors the read-only flag. Any thing you do that modifies the MP3, like adding album art or adjusting the star rating.

More info here...
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=76998

A person on the microsoft forums figured out why this is happening. His post is near the end of this thread...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Foru...2-e9471b7a6d49/

Quote:

I have some insights as to why the tags are corrupted in the above scenario. I recently made a tag reader and while debugging it, I found that WMP does not store Frame sizes as SynchSafe integers, which is required by the official ID3v2 specifications. Rather it stores the sizes as simple 32-bit unsigned integers, which when treated as SynchSafe int will give wrong result for all values bigger than 127. Smaller frames with size less than 127 , like those which contain title, album etc, are read correctly. But the album art (Frame 'APIC') contains bitmap which is larger than 127 bytes. Hence unless treated as 32 bit uInt, all frames appearing after APIC, or any other larger-than-127-bytes frame, will not be read correctly by tag readers which follow the ID3v2 standard.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#271883 - 12/31/11 04:40 PM

Windows Media Player has been broken, slow and bloated since 6.4 (XP), can they do anything right these days?

Is Freecell and Spider Solitaire still broken like they were in Vista and 7? It's got to be embarrassing that the version of Spider bundled with Windows Me is more reliable. Click detection always fails in Vista Spider after a while, and Freecell eventually slows down to a crawl due to memory leaks every time a game is played. It's a shame they never updated the original version, which still remains in 640x480 and 16 colors after almost 20 years (originally bundled/playable with Win32s).

Not only that, but to top it off, MS Hearts will cheat more than ever, giving you non-stop impossible-to-win situations, with the 3 CPU players ganging up on you, so you will either 'win' the Queen of Spades and/or a bunch of hearts regardless of whether you're winning or not (but never all at once, just to make sure you can't shoot the moon - you will end up with either the Q/S and low hearts, K/A of spades and no/few others, or high hearts minus one of them so you can't take all of them). Sometimes the CPU will play 'fair', and sometimes the CPU will also cheat just to let you win, by giving you easy cards, letting you shoot the moon, or piling the point cards on one single CPU player to get them over 100 so you win by a mile.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: windows 8 preview and media player new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#271885 - 12/31/11 05:10 PM

I am using Windows 7 64-bit. I've never had any problems (that I know of) with WMP or Freecell. I don't play Spider Solitaire much, but have never had a problem. Maybe I'm not trying to do something like others are doing or something.

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: windows 8 preview and media player new [Re: krick]
#271906 - 01/01/12 12:08 AM

Nice to at least have a reason for it.

interessssssting... Wonder if I put the apic fame in last if I could get away with it not corrupting my data. Going to have to give that a try...

Bet this is closer to the root cause of the messup they had when they had the beta of win7. Its almost like they had a bad attempt at putting 2.4 in. Then left half of it in. Hmmm wonder if you could create an exploit with it, sounds like a buffer overrun to me. That would get it fixed pdq

I pretty much did the read only thing (or a variation of it, 2nd copy and when it messes up...). I do the 2nd copy as I use a vm with wmp 11 in it to find and fix tags that are wrong. Keeping them all read only is a pain when I want to fix them up. I also use mp3tag/mediamonkey/picard. Then I sync them to my main player with win 7 and wmp12. Also if you set mp3's read only wmp has a bad habit of rescanning continuously on some files and it didnt get better with wmp12.

Also to answer redk9258 the txxx tag is "User defined text information frame". A few programs use to to just jam extra junk in there. Specifically in my case picard puts its ids in there. Basically it is a catch all to allow other programs to create their own name value pair tags without having to extend the specification.
http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0#head-e4b3c63f836c3eb26a39be082065c21fba4e0acc
and
http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0#head-29e37534e169ad913deb6a4fee345028f3db7c3f

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

#271910 - 01/01/12 01:25 AM

> I am using Windows 7 64-bit. I've never had any problems (that I know of) with WMP or
> Freecell. I don't play Spider Solitaire much, but have never had a problem. Maybe I'm
> not trying to do something like others are doing or something.

Just play the crap out of Spider, and eventually you'll come to a stack of cards which will blatantly refuse to drag to another stack, and will not highlight when the mouse goes over it (e.g. attempting to move a stack of 9-3 cards onto a 10 in another row could become impossible, because the CPU won't let you drag past the 5 card despite being a legal move - the keyboard has to be used instead to manually select the cards).

Freecell doesn't seem to have any real bugs aside from a memory leak, which is noticeable after a number of games (I don't know what causes it, whether it's the undo feature, playing/winning a lot of games in a row, losing and restarting etc). My biggest gripe with the newer Freecell is the fact it still only randomly selects the base 32000 games from the original, despite having 1 million card combinations (which the 'old' XP version also had, same random select limitation of 32000 as well). Since giving up on the MS versions, I went to FCPro, which is an enhanced version with lots of options and does away with the limitations (although it is based on the original version, but you can actually specify the card size and maximize it unlike the original). There is also a hacked version of 'Vista' Freecell (and Spider/Hearts/Solitaire etc) which works on Windows XP, and this also exhibits the exact same bugs.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#271911 - 01/01/12 01:52 AM

Does this memory leak go away after you close FreeCell? I guess it's a good thing I have 4GB.

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

#271915 - 01/01/12 02:10 AM

Dont know. They probably are still broke. I usually only play one or two games then close it... Got tons of other games that I am more interested in.

But this is shaping up to be a skip windows... Just wait for the one after that...

The new GUI is rather annoying to use with a mouse. Would be decent from a pad though. AND they changed the start menu *again* from explorer (goes to the button screen).

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

#271916 - 01/01/12 02:15 AM

> Does this memory leak go away after you close FreeCell? I guess it's a good thing I
> have 4GB.

Nope, it's only when the program is running (e.g. on slower systems, dragging the cards will progressively get slower the more games you play in a row).

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 279 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1803