View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

systemmeister
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/17/11
Send PM

Old amateur MAME user back for more.......but now stuck :/
#271127 - 12/17/11 01:24 AM

Looking for a bit of a push in the right directions please good folks......

I used to play the classic 80's games of my youth on one of my PCs just using DOS or Windows 95 (iirc) with no fancy anything.

The roms were in a directory and would load up ok.

After planning to build a MAME machine from scratch, the idea never materialised into reality...however

A couple of years ago I bought a pre-converted Jamma cabinet which housed a PC, a 19" LCD monitor and sound system, along with an interface from Jamma (two player controls), to PS2(keyboard/mouse interface) I assume.

The PC came with a CD in the drive loaded with plenty of ROMS - many of my faves...

The PC is running a Linux OS called Unbuntu, with a GUI desktop and Lemonloader (none of these I am familiar with at all....very foreign to use :/ ).

The PC boots straight into the MAME front end GUI, and then I can access the list of games, but not all the ROMS on the disc are visible in this list......they don't appear to load up??!

I was considering scrapping the Linux OS and going for Windows XP - just so's I can get to grips with that part a bit easier......but, if there's a simple fix to my problem i'd rather not spend the effort reloading a new OS and so on.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks - Jon / UK

systemmeister
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Old amateur MAME user back for more.......but now stuck :/ new [Re: systemmeister]
#271142 - 12/17/11 02:37 AM

The interface.

The cab

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Old amateur MAME user back for more.......but now stuck :/ new [Re: systemmeister]
#271158 - 12/17/11 04:00 AM

> The PC boots straight into the MAME front end GUI, and then I can access the list of
> games, but not all the ROMS on the disc are visible in this list......they don't
> appear to load up??!

Missing files - get the missing files.

> I was considering scrapping the Linux OS and going for Windows XP - just so's I can
> get to grips with that part a bit easier......but, if there's a simple fix to my
> problem i'd rather not spend the effort reloading a new OS and so on.

The fix for that is to make sure that the ROMs you have match with the MAME version you are using.

This is a very delicate subject and you are basically on your own. Follow the two links up top for more information (EasyEmu and MAME FAQ).

S

systemmeister
MAME Fan
Send PM

#271243 - 12/18/11 02:47 PM

Well, I took the plunge, and loaded windoze XP.

Got one million the updates loaded......up to SP3 now.

Loaded drivers for my Audigy 2Z, and managed to find some driver for the VIA onboard S3 graphics card.

I've gotten MAMEUI, MAME for Windows and a couple of other MAME GUI's installed.

I have a problem with the ROMS running unbearably slow.

If I use the "insert" keyboard button to speed things up, it kinda works ok but only temporarily whilst holding this key.

I know the CPU in the PC is not ultra-fast, however it's an AMD equivalent to a P4, with 1GB Ram etc.

I've looked for processes running in the background but can't see anything.

This is annoying, as the previous installation with Linux/Unbuntu had none of these issues!

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#271254 - 12/18/11 06:08 PM

That "AMD equivalent to a P4" processor is killing you. I would scrap it and at least get a Core2Duo. Alternately use a version of MAME from the era that the processor was sold.

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: Old amateur MAME user back for more.......but now stuck :/ new [Re: redk9258]
#271257 - 12/18/11 06:27 PM

More likely the VIA S3 onboard graphics are what's killing him.

Although the "AMD equivalent to a P4" could be anything from a Thunderbird to an early Athlon64. It'd help if he was more specific as to just how old this machine is.

systemmeister
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Old amateur MAME user back for more.......but now stuck :/ new [Re: AWJ]
#271280 - 12/18/11 10:31 PM

AMD Sempron 3000+ 1.6GHz woooooooooo!! f'kin hooooooo!!
I'm not sentimental about the PC at all, as it was supplied as part of the mame cabinet which cost me 100 quid.....ie less than 150 dollars.

I have a redundant Dell PC kicking about which has half decent external graphics card (NViDIA or similar), and a P4 3,0GHz HT setup.

Would this be a better setup?

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#271289 - 12/19/11 12:17 AM

> AMD Sempron 3000+ 1.6GHz woooooooooo!! f'kin hooooooo!!
> I'm not sentimental about the PC at all, as it was supplied as part of the mame
> cabinet which cost me 100 quid.....ie less than 150 dollars.
>
> I have a redundant Dell PC kicking about which has half decent external graphics card
> (NViDIA or similar), and a P4 3,0GHz HT setup.
>
> Would this be a better setup?

Speaking as I have a HT P4, tons better than the dinosuar in the cab now. Ofcourse, it all depends on what games you care about. Most 80's games work fine on a P4 (well, P4 with 64-bit OS and 64-bit MAME) and a few 90s games work good too, but C2D should be better and cooler.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#271291 - 12/19/11 12:44 AM

> Would this be a better setup?

Yes.

- Stiletto

James
Lurker
Reged: 12/22/03
Send PM

Re: Old amateur MAME user back for more.......but now stuck :/ new [Re: Stiletto]
#280927 - 03/30/12 12:23 AM

Ok well I'm currently running the latest MAME on a IBM Notebook with a Pentium M 1.6 and 1.5GB ram. It has an ATI Radeon 9000 mobile. Most games up to and including Street Fighter 3 run great. The Pentium M is faster than an equiv P4 or Semperon but still you shouldn't be seeing really slow performance in 80s games. I've got faster systems but this laptop works good enough for most of the games I want to play and I don't mind using the hacked CRT_Emudriver for 15khz output and 120+ modelines on it.

I plan to do a comparison between with a Toshiba 2.8 or 3.0ghz P4 laptop with same video card and same RAM because I'm curious to know which one will perform better. I know which one runs cooler and quieter though =o

Edited by James (03/30/12 12:27 AM)

Elke77
MAME addicted
Reged: 10/08/11
Send PM

Re: Old amateur MAME user back for more.......but now stuck :/ new [Re: James]
#280959 - 03/30/12 02:11 PM

Check this out, it depends so much on the MAME version.

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 302 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1999