View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

thehuntsmen5434
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/13/11
Send PM

MAME corrupt roms????
#271012 - 12/15/11 04:48 PM

I was on the verge of finishing my Arcade at least for a few weeks when all of a sudden about half my MAME games are corrupt.

Has this happened to anyone else? my most played WORKING games suddenly start saying files in the .zip are corrupt.

Alexis B.
Historian
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Cannes, FRANCE
Send PM

Re: MAME corrupt roms???? new [Re: thehuntsmen5434]
#271014 - 12/15/11 04:54 PM

Your hard drive is soon dead. How old it is ?

See my collection: here

thehuntsmen5434
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME corrupt roms???? new [Re: Alexis B.]
#271019 - 12/15/11 05:42 PM

Its about 5 years old, but your probably right. I need one with more space anyways.

time to hit newegg.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#271021 - 12/15/11 05:58 PM

> Its about 5 years old, but your probably right. I need one with more space anyways.
>
> time to hit newegg.

Yeah, I generally replace drives once they hit around 3 years old just to be safe.

thehuntsmen5434
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME corrupt roms???? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#271026 - 12/15/11 07:06 PM

I was so close to actually having all the software stuff done. 10 different emulators with all the games working with their specific settings.

My arcade is going to be the death of me I swear to god.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#271028 - 12/15/11 07:21 PM

I recommend Western digital "green" drives. They are 5400 rpm so they are very, very quiet, run very cool, and last a long time. They have a large cache, so for most uses, you won't notice any difference in performance compared to a 7200 rpm drive.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: MAME corrupt roms???? new [Re: krick]
#271033 - 12/15/11 10:51 PM

I do not recommend any of those "green" / "eco" drives. not from Samsung, not from Western Digital, not from LG or any other brand.
these drives have variable disc rotation between 5400 rpm to 7200 rpm and get damaged in half the time of a regular drive.

get the "blue" model from Western Digital. it's a 5400 rpm unit, very quiet and good speed.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: MAME corrupt roms???? new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#271035 - 12/15/11 11:27 PM

If he's talking about replacing a C/Windows drive, I don't know why anyone would consider anything other than a solid state drive these days unless you like wasting your time. For D/E etc. I could understand saving a few bucks on an oldschool type though going under 7200 seems pointless.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: MAME corrupt roms???? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#271036 - 12/16/11 01:02 AM

I have a Samsung 500GB 7200 rpm as my main partition.
I also have 2 500GB 5200 rpm external pocket drives to store my HD movies. they are great as you don't need high speed for HD movies (or MAME games).

when SSD drives get cheaper, I'll get a 60GB one for my main partition. more than that is just a waste as SSD drives are way too expensive.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#271056 - 12/16/11 07:22 AM

> I do not recommend any of those "green" / "eco" drives. not from Samsung, not from
> Western Digital, not from LG or any other brand.
> these drives have variable disc rotation between 5400 rpm to 7200 rpm and get damaged
> in half the time of a regular drive.
>
> get the "blue" model from Western Digital. it's a 5400 rpm unit, very quiet and good
> speed.

I don't know about Samsung or LG, but the Western Digital "green" drives are ONLY 5400 rpm, not variable. I've been using them in my computers for years with no problems. My current computer runs 24/7/365. I won't buy anything else. In fact, current TiVO PVRs use WD Caviar Green drives because of how quiet and cool they are.

The Caviar Blue series are all 7200, not 5400.

The Caviar Green list "IntelliPower" instead of the actual rpm, but they are all 5400 rpm in reality. There are no hard drives that change the speed of the platter. Speeding up and slowing down the platter would waste energy and make them more noisy. They're either not spinning, or 5400 rpm. That's about as variable as it gets. It's all marketing hype since people have had 7200 rpm drilled into their heads for so long that they think 5400 drives are inferior.

The only thing to be concerned about, and this pretty much applies to ALL current large hard drives is that they now use 4K sectors. If you intend to use these drives with XP, then you need to use the manufacturer's formatting utility because XP cannot format and align the partitions properly on these drives. More info...
http://forum.hddguru.com/sector-formatting-what-you-need-know-t15827.html

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

#271058 - 12/16/11 07:33 AM

> I was so close to actually having all the software stuff done. 10 different emulators
> with all the games working with their specific settings.
>
> My arcade is going to be the death of me I swear to god.

If your partitioning is set the same, then it's just a data transfer away from running again.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

#271059 - 12/16/11 07:36 AM

> when SSD drives get cheaper, I'll get a 60GB one for my main partition. more than
> that is just a waste as SSD drives are way too expensive.

I don't get this. At most, I partition 30gb for System - though with TinyXP, and given I don't have assloads of large apps, I only do 10gb and have a few left after all's said an done.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

Re: MAME corrupt roms???? new [Re: mogli]
#271062 - 12/16/11 07:58 AM

> I don't get this. At most, I partition 30gb for System - though with TinyXP, and
> given I don't have assloads of large apps, I only do 10gb and have a few left after
> all's said an done.

My arcade cabinet has a 40GB Intel SSD as the primary boot drive. I'm using a stock install of XP 64-bit edition and I have tons of free space. I have a secondary 500GB western digital caviar green drive for emulators, ROMs, and my front-end. Eventually, I'll probably need to swap it out for a 1TB WD green drive, but for now, it's plenty large enough.

Browsing Newegg.com, you can get 32GB SSD drives for $60, and 64GB SSD drives for $100. The prices are always coming down. I think I paid around $100 for my 40G.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: MAME corrupt roms???? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#271100 - 12/16/11 07:14 PM

> If he's talking about replacing a C/Windows drive, I don't know why anyone would
> consider anything other than a solid state drive these days unless you like wasting
> your time. For D/E etc. I could understand saving a few bucks on an oldschool type
> though going under 7200 seems pointless.

For ROMs and CHDs, 5400 is fine, and saves you some power/heat/noise.

If you're also using the drive to install games and stuff then yes 7200 is much better.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#271101 - 12/16/11 07:16 PM

> I don't know about Samsung or LG, but the Western Digital "green" drives are ONLY
> 5400 rpm, not variable. I've been using them in my computers for years with no
> problems.

WD has claimed at various times that the "green" drives do change rotation speeds. It's just that nobody's ever observed it actually happening.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#271103 - 12/16/11 07:37 PM

> WD has claimed at various times that the "green" drives do change rotation speeds.
> It's just that nobody's ever observed it actually happening.

Schrödinger's platters?

krick
Get Fuzzy
Send PM

#271104 - 12/16/11 07:48 PM

> WD has claimed at various times that the "green" drives do change rotation speeds.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/western_digital_caviar_green_2tb

Editorial Correction: This review initially stated that the WD Caviar
Green 2TB has a variable rotation speed between 5400rpm and 7200rpm.
WD has since clarified that Caviar Green drives have steady spindle
speeds, but they don't disclose the exact speeds, except that they are
somewhere between 5400 and 7200rpm.

jclampy
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/16/11
Send PM

#271137 - 12/17/11 02:20 AM

I use 10000rpm WD Raptors in raid mode and have never had problems in the last 6 years. In fact between my brother and father and I we have about 9x Raptor drives and none have ever failed.

We've had Maxtor, Seagate, plain Wester Digitals in the past and all have failed after 5 years or so.

So the Raptors are the only drives I can trust. Mind you, I would like to go SSD one day but they are all not created equally. In fact, the slow SSD drives are not much faster than normal HDD's, so make sure you do your research before hand. Cheaper is not always the way to go.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: MAME corrupt roms???? new [Re: jclampy]
#271143 - 12/17/11 02:39 AM

> I use 10000rpm WD Raptors in raid mode and have never had problems in the last 6
> years. In fact between my brother and father and I we have about 9x Raptor drives and
> none have ever failed.
>
> We've had Maxtor, Seagate, plain Wester Digitals in the past and all have failed
> after 5 years or so.
>
> So the Raptors are the only drives I can trust. Mind you, I would like to go SSD one
> day but they are all not created equally. In fact, the slow SSD drives are not much
> faster than normal HDD's, so make sure you do your research before hand. Cheaper is
> not always the way to go.

Gah. I should show you a picture of all the dead Raptors/Velociraptors I have at work.

Just goes to prove my point of view that - name a HDD manufacturer or model, and you'll find people who swear by them, and people who'll never buy one again. Which makes me believe that reliability/longevity is mostly a crapshoot and has more to do with luck, electrical environment, mechanical environment, and thermal environment.

- Stiletto

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: MAME corrupt roms???? new [Re: Stiletto]
#271145 - 12/17/11 02:46 AM

> Gah. I should show you a picture of all the dead Raptors/Velociraptors I have at
> work.
>
> Just goes to prove my point of view that - name a HDD manufacturer or model, and
> you'll find people who swear by them, and people who'll never buy one again. Which
> makes me believe that reliability/longevity is mostly a crapshoot and has more to do
> with luck, electrical environment, mechanical environment, and thermal environment.
>
> - Stiletto

DING DING DING!!!!

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

#271149 - 12/17/11 02:55 AM

Yeah well we're all clued up on temperatures,etc.. But yeah, I have seen lot's of people with hardware dying that are not so clued up. In that regard nothing is safe. Look after something and it lasts for a long time.

PS: I know 'work' computers are pretty plain and not modded like enthusiast home pc's. Also, were those OEM Raptors? I haven't actually used those personally (my brother has a pair with HP branding and so far no problems).

> Just goes to prove my point of view that - name a HDD manufacturer or model, and
> you'll find people who swear by them, and people who'll never buy one again.

Umm, that is the fundamental of all discussions.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#271214 - 12/18/11 02:41 AM

> Gah. I should show you a picture of all the dead Raptors/Velociraptors I have at
> work.
>
> you'll find people who swear by them, and people who'll never buy one again. Which
> makes me believe that reliability/longevity is mostly a crapshoot and has more to do
> with luck, electrical environment, mechanical environment, and thermal environment.

Couldn't be said better. Personally I trust Seagate Barracuda hard drives, 10 years running almost 24/7 and still working. Of course, the case of my PC is permanently open so any hard disk will do.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#271219 - 12/18/11 04:35 AM

My $0 hard-waste-saved Seagate 60GB drive is still going strong here, I use it to dump PS2 DVDs, so it gets a lot of heavy use out of it. I've had this drive since 2008. Also, my Acer OEM Seagate 40GB (2005) is still my C: drive with the original OS on it.

The most notable survivor I've had has been a seized 1998 8GB Quantum drive, which I found in early 2010. The PC it came in survived being thrown around side streets by random idiots and dumped in a garden near a train subway! When I took it home, the only damage (aside from the case which was bent around 20 degrees from the bottom) was a blown power supply, of which I noted it was set to 115V when I found it.

After swapping the power supply and running the PC board on the table, when I first plugged in the drive, it made a few noises but wouldn't spin up (seized spindle). On the second attempt, the drive actually spun up by itself (I have an audio recording of this, making a humming/groaning noise), but couldn't get full rotational speed by the time the PC's POST came up, so it wasn't detected. On the third attempt, the drive started perfectly and loaded its old Windows 98 as if nothing had happened.

I formatted it straight away and installed XP on it, and put it in my hard-waste-find 3GHz Pentium 4 and it still runs perfectly today, easily capable of browsing the net, watching YouTube videos and viewing Google maps (the original late-Pentium 1 ATX system was retired soon after I originally tested it - no problems with it, cards or the CD drive either, despite the machine being thrown around the road/subway by idiot kids!).

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#271221 - 12/18/11 04:36 AM

I don't think they have claimed that, although what they have said might be interpreted as that.

They just don't want to use the actual RPM in their marketing.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#271223 - 12/18/11 04:48 AM

> I don't know about Samsung or LG, but the Western Digital "green" drives are ONLY
> 5400 rpm, not variable. I've been using them in my computers for years with no
> problems. My current computer runs 24/7/365. I won't buy anything else.

They are my hard drive of choice at the moment too. I've had a 2tb one in a nas for the last three years & my new nas has 2x3tb.

The drives don't spend all of their time running though, because I have it set to spin down after 10 minutes of inactivity.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: MAME corrupt roms???? new [Re: mogli]
#271226 - 12/18/11 07:05 AM

> > when SSD drives get cheaper, I'll get a 60GB one for my main partition. more than
> > that is just a waste as SSD drives are way too expensive.
>
> I don't get this. At most, I partition 30gb for System - though with TinyXP, and
> given I don't have assloads of large apps, I only do 10gb and have a few left after
> all's said an done.

I always have a boot partition 100 to 150 GB in size. Yes, it seems like a lot, but between your software (which may vary in size depending on what you do), OS updates, your own downloads, system restore, internet cache, the temp folder used by several programs, and the pagefile... better safe than sorry.

That is not to say your 30 GB aren't enough. Some of us just need more.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: MAME corrupt roms???? new [Re: Foxhack]
#271275 - 12/18/11 09:30 PM

> > > when SSD drives get cheaper, I'll get a 60GB one for my main partition. more than
> > > that is just a waste as SSD drives are way too expensive.
> >
> > I don't get this. At most, I partition 30gb for System - though with TinyXP, and
> > given I don't have assloads of large apps, I only do 10gb and have a few left after
> > all's said an done.
>
> I always have a boot partition 100 to 150 GB in size. Yes, it seems like a lot, but
> between your software (which may vary in size depending on what you do), OS updates,
> your own downloads, system restore, internet cache, the temp folder used by several
> programs, and the pagefile... better safe than sorry.
>
> That is not to say your 30 GB aren't enough. Some of us just need more.

My /Windows is ~23 GB. That's 64-bit Windows 7 SP3 with the SP3 backup files removed. For Windows 7 30 GB is definitely not enough.
How big is the Windows folder on a fully updated Windows XP?

S

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME corrupt roms???? new [Re: Sune]
#271276 - 12/18/11 09:42 PM

Well my WindowsXP and ProgramFiles take up 20GB at the moment. Mind you, I have removed a couple of GB worth of old Microsoft Auto Update backup files recently. Amazing how much room they steal over the years. I put .Net v4 on the other day, didn't end up using it so another waste of 1GB HDD space.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#271278 - 12/18/11 09:56 PM

> My /Windows is ~23 GB. That's 64-bit Windows 7 SP3 with the SP3 backup files removed.
> For Windows 7 30 GB is definitely not enough.
> How big is the Windows folder on a fully updated Windows XP?
>
> S

SP3 is not out for Windows 7. Neither is SP2.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: MAME corrupt roms???? new [Re: redk9258]
#271279 - 12/18/11 10:15 PM

> > My /Windows is ~23 GB. That's 64-bit Windows 7 SP3 with the SP3 backup files
> removed.
> > For Windows 7 30 GB is definitely not enough.
> > How big is the Windows folder on a fully updated Windows XP?
> >
> > S
>
> SP3 is not out for Windows 7. Neither is SP2.

Yes thank you I know that, it was a typo. I'm a human being.

S

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#271300 - 12/19/11 01:32 AM

> Yes thank you I know that, it was a typo. I'm a human being.
>
> S

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: MAME corrupt roms???? new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#271303 - 12/19/11 01:49 AM

> The most notable survivor I've had has been a seized 1998 8GB Quantum drive, which I
> found in early 2010. The PC it came in survived being thrown around side streets by
> random idiots and dumped in a garden near a train subway! When I took it home, the
> only damage (aside from the case which was bent around 20 degrees from the bottom)
> was a blown power supply, of which I noted it was set to 115V when I found it.
>
> After swapping the power supply and running the PC board on the table, when I first
> plugged in the drive, it made a few noises but wouldn't spin up (seized spindle). On
> the second attempt, the drive actually spun up by itself (I have an audio recording
> of this, making a humming/groaning noise), but couldn't get full rotational speed by
> the time the PC's POST came up, so it wasn't detected. On the third attempt, the
> drive started perfectly and loaded its old Windows 98 as if nothing had happened.
>
> I formatted it straight away and installed XP on it, and put it in my hard-waste-find
> 3GHz Pentium 4 and it still runs perfectly today, easily capable of browsing the net,
> watching YouTube videos and viewing Google maps (the original late-Pentium 1 ATX
> system was retired soon after I originally tested it - no problems with it, cards or
> the CD drive either, despite the machine being thrown around the road/subway by idiot
> kids!).

Hahahaha... memories. When I was a tech long ago, we often used Quantum Bigfoot 5.25" HDDs as doorstops, bookshelf book holders, and even hammers. They either failed immediately, or ran like a tank for years and years, and you could use them as a hammer and they still might work afterwards. :P

- Stiletto

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#271304 - 12/19/11 01:50 AM

> > Yes thank you I know that, it was a typo. I'm a human being.
> >
> > S

Not only can I admit my mistakes, I can also answer my own question. I forgot that I have XP installed in a Parallels VM.

The Windows folder (fully updated XP SP3 Pro) is 4.77 GB.

S

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

#271354 - 12/23/11 11:21 AM

Hey Sune, my XP folder is currently 8GB but why would you not include programfiles folder as well or do you normally put that on another HDD? Also the swapfile if that was on the same drive. All those atleast would be required for a PC to run Windows.

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#271369 - 12/23/11 05:22 PM

> Hey Sune, my XP folder is currently 8GB but why would you not include programfiles
> folder as well or do you normally put that on another HDD? Also the swapfile if that
> was on the same drive. All those atleast would be required for a PC to run Windows.

Most installers lets you install "programs" (lol that's starting to sound real old school) where you want, you don't have to use the Program Files folder, that's just the default location.

From what I've read, the swap file works best if it's on the same partition as Windows, or on a different drive.

S

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

#271381 - 12/23/11 08:02 PM

I still have a Quantum Bigfoot 5.25" drive (quarter height, e.g. same height as a 3.5" drive) around here, don't think it works though.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

#271383 - 12/23/11 08:35 PM

> Hey Sune, my XP folder is currently 8GB but why would you not include programfiles
> folder as well or do you normally put that on another HDD? Also the swapfile if that
> was on the same drive. All those atleast would be required for a PC to run Windows.

A page file is not required to run Windows, and it can be disabled in System Properties > Advanced > Performance > Advanced (again) > Virtual memory (no paging file).

The Program Files folder isn't part of the Windows core, outside of being created during the initial install, along with the My Documents folder and the like. It is just there as a default path for program installers to work with. Installing something into Program Files will do the same job as installing it in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 or C:\YO\MAMA. Wherever the files go, a shortcut will end up in the start menu/desktop/quicklaunch and the program will run regardless, unless of course it's programmed so badly that it absolutely requires byte-identical folder names or it fails to load.

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME corrupt roms???? new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#271389 - 12/23/11 11:08 PM

> A page file is not required to run Windows, and it can be disabled in System
> Properties > Advanced > Performance > Advanced (again) > Virtual memory (no paging
> file).
>
> The Program Files folder isn't part of the Windows core, outside of being created
> during the initial install, along with the My Documents folder and the like. It is
> just there as a default path for program installers to work with. Installing
> something into Program Files will do the same job as installing it in
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 or C:\YO\MAMA. Wherever the files go, a shortcut will end up in
> the start menu/desktop/quicklaunch and the program will run regardless, unless of
> course it's programmed so badly that it absolutely requires byte-identical folder
> names or it fails to load.

It doesn't matter what name or where you put your 'program files' they still need HDD space somewhere. In regards to someone with only one HDD then they will need to be on that drive somewhere. There are folders under 'program files' where Windows does store things (even on Windows first install) and AFAIK the user is not asked where or what name to use for 'program files' when installing Windows, it just uses that as default.

About the pagefile; Windows can run without one but certain programs will not. Certain programs need/use the pagefile and will not start without one. They will error message with 'not enough memory available' even when you have 2GB of physical RAM chips. I don't know how many programs but the one or two I noticed were enough to make me go back to using a small pagefile of atleast 512MB.

All this is correct up to Windows XP. I have no interest in Vista or 7.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#271400 - 12/24/11 01:34 AM

> It doesn't matter what name or where you put your 'program files' they still need HDD
> space somewhere. In regards to someone with only one HDD then they will need to be on
> that drive somewhere. There are folders under 'program files' where Windows does
> store things (even on Windows first install) and AFAIK the user is not asked where or
> what name to use for 'program files' when installing Windows, it just uses that as
> default.
>
> About the pagefile; Windows can run without one but certain programs will not.
> Certain programs need/use the pagefile and will not start without one. They will
> error message with 'not enough memory available' even when you have 2GB of physical
> RAM chips. I don't know how many programs but the one or two I noticed were enough to
> make me go back to using a small pagefile of atleast 512MB.
>
> All this is correct up to Windows XP. I have no interest in Vista or 7.

Some people are moving special folders because they don't want to waste space on an expensive SSD. It's too bad you are not interested in Windows 7, it's a great OS. I like it much better than XP.

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

#271401 - 12/24/11 02:43 AM

It's to do with the Hardware I have and the Software I use.

I don't like the 'hoops' that I would have to jump through to do certain things with Vista or 7. Also I don't like the idea of using 'wrappers' or things like 'alchemy' if I don't have to. Then all the software and games that won't even run at all under vista or 7...

Funny eh, Microsoft tell's man to upgrade from XP to 7. Man finds his old computer or software no longer works straight out of the box as it use to or not at all. Microsoft responds with "Oh, try the included WinXP Compatibilty mode we included". (Wow, our new OS is SO good we need to include a compatibility mode to run software you were running under XP!)

Good luck with that. If it works at all, it would be slower than original WinXP and also does not do video card 3D hardware accleration at the least.

It's like upgrading your shoes to a new flash pair and then breaking one of your feet. Your not going to move faster if at all.

Ofcourse you could always dualboot or throw 50% of your software away and 50% of your previous computing interests as well.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#271403 - 12/24/11 03:06 AM

I've never had any problem getting software to run with the exception of Roxio Easy Media Creator 8. Unfortunately, this software is so deeply rooted into the OS, I think that was the problem. Plus, I am running Windows 7 64-bit. I think it would work on Windows 7 32-bit. As a matter of fact, I might try to install it in Windows 7 32-bit in Virtual PC just to see what happens. BTW, XP Mode in Virtual PC works pretty good too. Another cool thing you can do with Virtual PC is... I have taken a Ghost image of my Windows XP install and converted it to VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) that Virtual PC uses. I can boot my old PC just like the day the image was taken. Unfortunately, with the detected hardware change, I only get three days before I must reactivate. Since it's an OEM license, I cannot transfer the license.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

#271419 - 12/24/11 09:10 AM

20GB inside Program Files? My old PC had a 20GB hard drive! Microsoft must have shares in Seagate and Western Digital, for .net to take up 1GB just for what it is.

My entire Windows and Program Files folders have a combined total of 3.42GB according to the properties dialog. 23255 files, 2062 folders (and no games/movies/MP3s at all on the C: drive, which I always install on a second, larger drive). After going with a 2 drive system, I would never go back to having only a single hard drive. With one drive, as soon as that page file kicks in, you'll be lagging like a fly in molasses.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3431