View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

I'm boycotting clrmpro.....
#270390 - 12/07/11 07:53 AM

This is about the dumbest program I've had to use. If this thing were done right, you would say THIS ONE or THESE, and DO THAT. And it would be done.

But no. You have to create a profile. You have to make sure you manually create a dat before that. Then you have to load the piece of shit. Oh, that's only the first part....

Lord fucking help you if you get a 'bad exe output' message or the like.

I like you, Roman, but I hate your program.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: I'm boycotting clrmpro..... new [Re: mogli]
#270393 - 12/07/11 08:20 AM

> This is about the dumbest program I've had to use. If this thing were done right, you
> would say THIS ONE or THESE, and DO THAT. And it would be done.
>
> But no. You have to create a profile. You have to make sure you manually create a dat
> before that. Then you have to load the piece of shit. Oh, that's only the first
> part....
>
> Lord fucking help you if you get a 'bad exe output' message or the like.
>
> I like you, Roman, but I hate your program.

Are you Drunk dude?

hahahaha go ahead and rename/rebuild manually using windows explorer ;-)

Don't try and load unofficial crap and you won't get any error messages.

Best of Luck

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#270396 - 12/07/11 09:31 AM

> You have to make sure you manually create a dat

what are you trying to do?

if you use MAME/MESS, you just tell cmpro to use the exe
if you use a premade datfile, you just use Add dat

basic usage of cmpro needs 3 steps:
1. choose exe/dat
2. setup folder
3. scan/rebuild

you seem to need multiple operation for step 1, which suggests you are doing something wrong at your end or using a broken emulator exe

ETA: I'm not saying that cmpro is the easiest program to use, but difficulties only arise if you need "special" operations to be performed (like rebuilding subsets of a dat, or creating custom dats, etc.). basic rom management is pretty straightforward

Edited by etabeta (12/07/11 09:35 AM)

Roman
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

#270398 - 12/07/11 09:52 AM

it's called pro because it's for professionals or people who like to spend 5 min to follow a tutorial. I boycott photoshop because it takes hours to draw a circle doesnt it?

No really...you don't to manually create a dat. Yes, you need some basic knowledge about rom storing and terms like "merging", parent/clone relationships, biossets and devices.

1) Profiler, creates you a database based on your MAME binary (if prompts appear, 'answer yes to all')
2) Settings, drag'n drop or import your rompaths
3) Scanner, hit the scan button

That's it. With this procedure it tells you what is wrong with your collection without touching it. Then you can enable the fix options (1 click) and do the fixing...

If you get a "bad exe output" it simply means that your MAME binary is not ok (not using an official build? bad self compiled build or locked by the system) and MAME most likely crashes when -listxml is run or it produces a bad xml output.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: I'm boycotting clrmpro..... new [Re: Roman]
#270399 - 12/07/11 11:04 AM

> it's called pro because it's for professionals or people who like to spend 5 min to
> follow a tutorial. I boycott photoshop because it takes hours to draw a circle doesnt
> it?

Hahaha "pro" - do you mean professional ROM collectors (i.e. pokeROMs)? Because if you mean business professionals who just happen to want to clean up their MAME sets, they're going to be exactly the kind of people who'll want it to "just work" without having to do a tutorial. "Pro" shouldn't ever mean "difficult to use."

(Disclaimer: I've never used clrmamepro and I don't know whether it's easy to use or not - I'm just objecting to this use of the word "pro." While I'm on the topic, I wish Apple would stop degrading the term "pro" with things like Final Cut Pro X, which is an insult to professional video guys - how can you take a great product and re-invent it as such an epic pile of shit?)

Roman
Regular
Send PM

Re: I'm boycotting clrmpro..... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#270401 - 12/07/11 11:14 AM

I've mentioned 'pro' because you need some basic understanding of MAME, File and storing methods. It *is* easy to use if you spend 5 minutes and got the basic knowledge of MAME and its storing methods.
If you're a neogeo kiddie who wonders why Samurai Showdown 1293812 doesn't run anymore, tough luck, I don't care.
Users are always welcome to raise requests/ideas at the cmpro forum....

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#270402 - 12/07/11 12:52 PM

> If you're a neogeo kiddie who wonders why Samurai Showdown 1293812 doesn't run
> anymore, tough luck, I don't care.
> Users are always welcome to raise requests/ideas at the cmpro forum....

For them there is always RomCenter. It's (or was) a quite friendly rom manager. I used to be one of those hunting MAME 0.36 roms and maintaining the sets manually. RomCenter was the best solution when I considered ClrMAME "buggy" (there was a new version with fixes every week).

If it were not now for ClrMAME Pro, I'd wasting more time maintaining than playing/testing emulated things. Oh, and MESS softlist while large they hide nice curiosities I wouldn't have known.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#270408 - 12/07/11 02:55 PM

> This is about the dumbest program I've had to use. If this thing were done right, you
> would say THIS ONE or THESE, and DO THAT. And it would be done.
>
> But no. You have to create a profile. You have to make sure you manually create a dat
> before that. Then you have to load the piece of shit. Oh, that's only the first
> part....
>
> Lord fucking help you if you get a 'bad exe output' message or the like.
>
> I like you, Roman, but I hate your program.

Mogi,

If you don't like it, write your own program the way you would like it. Otherwise, just ask Roman for a refund.

Roman,

Thanks for clrmamepro! It rocks!

Cable
retro gamer
Reged: 08/30/08
Loc: UK
Send PM

#270413 - 12/07/11 04:38 PM

Thats it ive had enough! Im boycotting this thread.... Oh wait???

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: I'm boycotting clrmpro..... new [Re: BIOS-D]
#270437 - 12/07/11 08:36 PM

> > If you're a neogeo kiddie who wonders why Samurai Showdown 1293812 doesn't run
> > anymore, tough luck, I don't care.
> > Users are always welcome to raise requests/ideas at the cmpro forum....
>
> For them there is always RomCenter. It's (or was) a quite friendly rom manager. I
> used to be one of those hunting MAME 0.36 roms and maintaining the sets manually.
> RomCenter was the best solution when I considered ClrMAME "buggy" (there was a new
> version with fixes every week).
>
> If it were not now for ClrMAME Pro, I'd wasting more time maintaining than
> playing/testing emulated things. Oh, and MESS softlist while large they hide nice
> curiosities I wouldn't have known.

Fun fact, I tried RomCenter and I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

CLRMame is much easier to use.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

Re: I'm boycotting clrmpro..... new [Re: Foxhack]
#270441 - 12/07/11 09:34 PM

> Fun fact, I tried RomCenter and I couldn't make heads or tails of it.
>
> CLRMame is much easier to use.

Same here.I played around with it for 20 minutes and read a tutorial,and I still ended up deleting entire sets.

Thanks for clrmamepro,Roman.
Also thanks for the enormous amount of time & aggravation you and your program has saved me.

jclampy
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/16/11
Send PM

#270481 - 12/08/11 05:39 AM

> 1) Profiler, creates you a database based on your MAME binary (if prompts appear,
> 'answer yes to all')

Hi Roman,

I get these messages;
Issue: Can't merge set due to equal names for different ROM hashes
Press yes to remove parent/clone relationship or no to force split-merge mode.

and...
Issue: Possible wrong nodump definition found
A valid checksum for it within its parent/clone relationship was found though.
Insert found checksum instead of using the 'nodump'?

I always answer 'No' to force split-merge mode and 'No' to use 'nodump'. Should I be putting 'Yes' to all and can you please explain why that is better than the way I have been doing it?

Thanks,
JClampy

Read about my latest custom HLSL setup here;
http://gamingnos.blogspot.com/

Roman
Regular
Send PM

Re: I'm boycotting clrmpro..... new [Re: jclampy]
#270496 - 12/08/11 10:28 AM

Nothing is better or worse. It's purely your personal taste. In case of # MAME sets > 10000 and multi terabyte hds, neither of the options do really matter...

In the parent/clone case, you only force yourself into a split merged collection but the chance that you change your mind to use full merged is relatively low anyway...

In case of the nodump it's just either having a file more or not. It might be possible that the clones do work with a file from the related setsbut it also might be that they don't...so..again...personal taste...

MAMu_
Icon Master
Reged: 01/06/04
Send PM

Re: I'm {NOT} boycotting clrmpro... new [Re: Roman]
#270498 - 12/08/11 12:55 PM

> I've mentioned 'pro' because you need some basic understanding of MAME, File and
> storing methods. It *is* easy to use if you spend 5 minutes and got the basic
> knowledge of MAME and its storing methods.
> If you're a neogeo kiddie who wonders why Samurai Showdown 1293812 doesn't run
> anymore, tough luck, I don't care.
> Users are always welcome to raise requests/ideas at the cmpro forum....

Roman, Clrmame, add pro or not, is to my opinion a piece of... wonderful software No kidding, it's my favorite MAME tool, the most reliable in terms of scanning and repairing a rom database (I hate to say collection) and I use it at each new MAME build.

Yes that was hard the 1st time using it to understand everything, more because english is not my native language, but that was yeaaaars ago. If you know how MAME works, you understand very easily what each option does. I could use it now closing my eyes...

Thanks for it.

Edited by MAMu_ (12/08/11 12:56 PM)

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

Re: I'm {NOT} boycotting clrmpro... new [Re: MAMu_]
#270500 - 12/08/11 03:20 PM

> > I've mentioned 'pro' because you need some basic understanding of MAME, File and
> > storing methods. It *is* easy to use if you spend 5 minutes and got the basic
> > knowledge of MAME and its storing methods.
> > If you're a neogeo kiddie who wonders why Samurai Showdown 1293812 doesn't run
> > anymore, tough luck, I don't care.
> > Users are always welcome to raise requests/ideas at the cmpro forum....
>
> Roman, Clrmame, add pro or not, is to my opinion a piece of... wonderful software No
> kidding, it's my favorite MAME tool, the most reliable in terms of scanning and
> repairing a rom database (I hate to say collection) and I use it at each new MAME
> build.
>
> Yes that was hard the 1st time using it to understand everything, more because
> english is not my native language, but that was yeaaaars ago. If you know how MAME
> works, you understand very easily what each option does. I could use it now closing
> my eyes...
>
> Thanks for it.

Agreed on all points.

If only it were open source with a Linux native build..

B2K24
Send PM

#270508 - 12/08/11 04:55 PM

I have always answered No To All & No To All for those and never had issues loading games in MAME.

Be aware for Supermodel 3 0.2a emulator you need to have Non-Merged Sets otherwise games will fail to load.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: I'm {NOT} boycotting clrmpro... new [Re: Shoegazr]
#270513 - 12/08/11 05:31 PM

> If only it were open source with a Linux native build..

I think we've established by now that Roman is ashamed of his code ;-)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: I'm boycotting clrmpro..... new [Re: B2K24]
#270514 - 12/08/11 05:34 PM

> Be aware for Supermodel 3 0.2a emulator you need to have Non-Merged Sets otherwise
> games will fail to load.

Merged sets are also generally a pain in the ass, that aside.

Roman
Regular
Send PM

Re: I'm {NOT} boycotting clrmpro... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#270518 - 12/08/11 06:44 PM

not ashamed but it's ugly as hell..what do you expect after 14 years with no time to rewrite

DaffyDuck
As silly/crazy as possible
Reged: 10/04/06
Send PM

Re: I'm {NOT} boycotting clrmpro... new [Re: Roman]
#270526 - 12/08/11 10:52 PM

> not ashamed but it's ugly as hell..what do you expect after 14 years with no time to
> rewrite

Either way I love clrmamepro, it's the best roms manager (and yes I have tried RomCenter and RomVault).

So, thanks

Edited by DaffyDuck (12/08/11 10:56 PM)

Daffy Duck

B2K24
Send PM

Re: I'm boycotting clrmpro..... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#270534 - 12/09/11 02:33 AM

> > Be aware for Supermodel 3 0.2a emulator you need to have Non-Merged Sets otherwise
> > games will fail to load.
>
> Merged sets are also generally a pain in the ass, that aside.

/me totally agrees

soviet
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/18/09
Send PM

#270556 - 12/09/11 01:41 PM

> I get these messages;
> Issue: Can't merge set due to equal names for different ROM hashes
> Press yes to remove parent/clone relationship or no to force split-merge mode.
>
> and...
> Issue: Possible wrong nodump definition found
> A valid checksum for it within its parent/clone relationship was found though.
> Insert found checksum instead of using the 'nodump'?
>
> I always answer 'No' to force split-merge mode and 'No' to use 'nodump'. Should I be
> putting 'Yes' to all and can you please explain why that is better than the way I
> have been doing it?

These popups when loading profiles are a large portion of confusion/annoyance sources in cmpro.
Maybe they should be relegated to a "special cases" menu that isn't shown normally, with a default to the normal way to do things:

• Split sets.
  • In particular, no conflict between reused names appearing in parent and clone, because actual ROM files will be segregated into split sets.
  • Don't replace nodump ROMs with parent files of the same names: the definitions are 99.99% not "possibly wrong" and the files aren't used anyway.
  • Treat sample-only sets as sample-only sets (why is it even a warning?), perhaps marking and listing them as such in the appropriate places.

The strange warnings about multiple roms with the same name and wrong merge tags don't involve any user choice (except deciding to avoid using a defective profile or to file a MAME bug), while seriously adding to the WTF factor: listing these special occurrences and others (like sample-only sets) in an easily ignored summary screen at the end of profile loading (similar to the one at the end of scanning) would be nicer.

Ideally, listxml loading should be completed without being interrupted to ask largely pointless questions whose answers should be part of the profile definition (with options such as "ignore sample-only sets" or "what to do if homonymy makes merged sets impossible").

Roman
Regular
Send PM

Re: I'm boycotting clrmpro..... new [Re: soviet]
#270558 - 12/09/11 02:41 PM

profiler -> options -> hide common

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#270578 - 12/09/11 06:38 PM

His point is where they should be by default (hidden).

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#270629 - 12/10/11 08:12 AM

> it's called pro because it's for professionals or people who like to spend 5 min to
> follow a tutorial. I boycott photoshop because it takes hours to draw a circle doesnt
> it?
>
> No really...you don't to manually create a dat. Yes, you need some basic knowledge
> about rom storing and terms like "merging", parent/clone relationships, biossets and
> devices.
>
> 1) Profiler, creates you a database based on your MAME binary (if prompts appear,
> 'answer yes to all')
> 2) Settings, drag'n drop or import your rompaths
> 3) Scanner, hit the scan button
>
> That's it. With this procedure it tells you what is wrong with your collection
> without touching it. Then you can enable the fix options (1 click) and do the
> fixing...

Hahahahah. A lot of good humor here. I was thinking I might earn a prompt ban, simply for posting here instead of the clrmpro forums.

A-nyways. I haven't used it for recent MAME, only for older versions, mostly .69 or .37 . I have in most cases tried to use MAME32, but I think I tried [a fresh copy of] baseline, and had the same issue. So I asked somewhere else about it, and they said to manually create a DAT. I added it, and that allowed my profile to be loaded.

I rebuilt (the focus here is on stunrun), but they still didn't work. I think I had all the sets for that version, but I was still getting roms missing errors when loading the game. So maybe that was it. But it was still involved.

I've rebuilt sets over the years, and had issues, but I think have succeeded. This time was just a nightmare. I'll try again, and see what happens.

((Current MAME should be handled like torrent files are handled, with the addition of reading an ini. So, you press 'update', and it does only your sets.))

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Roman
Regular
Send PM

#270633 - 12/10/11 09:20 AM

for old mame versions you need to switch to 'old mame' in profiler create.
scanner tells you exactl what you miss. rebuilder does not.

Bugfinder
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Send PM

#270689 - 12/11/11 03:48 AM

Just where is the line that divides current from 'old MAME'? I mean, what is the oldest MAME version that can already be included in current?

Edited by Bugfinder (12/11/11 03:48 AM)

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#270695 - 12/11/11 08:01 AM

> for old mame versions you need to switch to 'old mame' in profiler create.
> scanner tells you exactl what you miss. rebuilder does not.

Yeahh, I remember that now. I forgot to look for that. To clarify, I did scan, and I think rebuild (it's been a week now), and I don't know why it didn't work, because I think it was mostly a renaming of four sets, but I've acquired those and don't need clrmamepro for this. Thank you for your help.

The Culture

Roman
Regular
Send PM

Re: I'm boycotting clrmpro..... new [Re: Bugfinder]
#270705 - 12/11/11 10:35 AM

in profiler create you got a drop down box to import from mame, mess, pinmame and eg old_mame.
it switches then from -listxml to -listinfo to get the data from the mame binary.
dont now at the moment when mame did that switch but I guess around 6 years ago or something.

StevieWunderful
Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: NY
Send PM

#270710 - 12/11/11 12:17 PM

I build PCs from scratch. Fix computer / virus problems. Woodwork, Paint, basic electronic wiring, fix mechanical stuff like pinball machines, and heck, I even figured out how to run mame with options.. in Dos mode, back in the day.
And much more..

However, Clmpro, is the one of the most unfriendly and confusing program Ive ever used.

There are so many options... and the descriptions of those options dont make any sense to me. After hours of messing with it, I THINK Ive gotten it to work correctly in the past. However, Im highly uncertain of the results.. AND, when Ive been away from the program for any length of time, I completely forget how to operate it all over again.

Face it... the program is for the Programmer minded person... or for the dedicated junkie who has no life whatsoever outside of the Emu scene. Heck, even some of them cant understand your program.

I think anyone can appreciate what you do... but be real, the program isnt in any way, shape, or form, easy.

Id re-download every single rom, before trusting myself to using it.

Personally, I used to like Romcenter. But infrequent releases, bug, crashes..etc. And even on RC, there were some confusion to what exactly I was looking at, at times.

etabeta
Send PM

Re: I'm boycotting clrmpro..... new [Re: StevieWunderful]
#270717 - 12/11/11 03:19 PM

> There are so many options... and the descriptions of those options dont make any
> sense to me. After hours of messing with it, I THINK Ive gotten it to work correctly
> in the past. However, Im highly uncertain of the results..

there must have been something wrong at your end, I fear.
99% of the times I just need the 3 steps as described in my previous post

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=270396

and never fiddling with any of the options (just using default ones and pressing yes to any prompt I get when importing the dat)

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#271099 - 12/16/11 06:56 PM

> Face it... the program is for the Programmer minded person... or for the dedicated
> junkie who has no life whatsoever outside of the Emu scene. Heck, even some of them
> cant understand your program.

What's so hard about that program? You only need to know this before using any ROM manager.

Ironic coming from someone who didn't know when to drop the 720° joystick argument.

EDIT: And before you jump what I mean is, if you're THAT dedicated you can easily dedicate 5 minutes to understand such simple program.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#271102 - 12/16/11 07:21 PM Attachment: image2509503j.jpg 16 KB (1 downloads)

Can we stop fighting about a stupid rom manager. It's pretty simple what needs to happen but won't. That is for ClrMame to add a new wizard/easy mode that pops up a window asking you to point it to your mame.exe, then a window asking to point to your roms folder, then a window telling you where it will put roms that were removed and then scan it while auto-oking any otherwise popup messages. Same thing for dats. Point to dat, point to folder to scan, done. Simple answer but Roman obviously isn't interested. I've never had a problem with it because when I learned it it was the same time I was learning all the other mame basics. It's awkward but after you learn it it gets the job done quickly. That said, if there was an easy mode like I described, I would probably use it because I just click yes to all on the popups and go through extra steps for nothing. Anyway, not sure what my point is. Oh yeah. Can't we all just get along?

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

B2K24
Send PM

Re: I'm boycotting clrmpro..... new [Re: Smitdogg]
#271107 - 12/16/11 08:14 PM

How much easier does it really have to get?

As long as some user doesn't machine gun click stuff without knowing in advance what it does. you can't possibly screw anything up. The same pretty much goes for all software.

Everything it removes goes into backup path anyway, and is not permanently deleted, so exactly what's the problem?

How about next version is command prompt only, then we can sit back and read about what people manage to screw up

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#271108 - 12/16/11 08:19 PM

Obviously you need to look outside of your own head/skills to see the problem. Every few weeks/months someone posts about it being too difficult or unintuitive so obviously there is a problem. It's sort of like basic html, simple once you have spent a couple of hours learning it but I've edited it in front of people who looked at me like I was a genius because all they see is computer code.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#271110 - 12/16/11 08:58 PM

> How much easier does it really have to get?
>
> As long as some user doesn't machine gun click stuff without knowing in advance what
> it does. you can't possibly screw anything up.

Asked and answered.

Also, CMP has more options than the cockpit of a jetliner. Smitt's suggested "Wizard" path would probably help a great deal.

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

#271135 - 12/17/11 02:07 AM

Thanks BIOS-D, that image showing the difference between "non-merged / merged / split" makes it very clear.

So when CMP says;
Issue: Can't merge set due to equal names for different ROM hashes
Press yes to remove parent/clone relationship or no to force split-merge mode.

I assume this means that CMP can't do 'merged' so wants to know wether to do 'non-merged' or 'split'. I would personally prefer 'split' because refering to the picture 'non-merged' mode would increase the HDD space requirements for ROM storage which should also be a factor for some people.

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

#271146 - 12/17/11 02:49 AM

> In case of the nodump it's just either having a file more or not. It might be
> possible that the clones do work with a file from the related setsbut it also might
> be that they don't...so..again...personal taste...

The games that are marked in MAME as 'working' and have a file missing for 'no dump' but still work anyway I doubt would show any difference if CMP added an extra file. But are you saying that if a game that is marked as 'not working' in MAME and has a file missing for 'no dump' and CMP can add an extra file due to some form of 'matching', that the game could then work? If so, have you seen this actually happen?

Just curious, because if you were going to make certain defaults. I still prefer the 'split sets' and MAME 'no dump' specifications. Merged sets are interesting but would be really annoying if you had to do some manual housekeeping; ie having to hunt through the dat file. Also, 'split sets' makes it easy to remove unwanted 'clones' from your collection; ie just delete the zip file.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#271150 - 12/17/11 02:58 AM

> Thanks BIOS-D, that image showing the difference between "non-merged / merged /
> split" makes it very clear.
>
> So when CMP says;
> Issue: Can't merge set due to equal names for different ROM hashes
> Press yes to remove parent/clone relationship or no to force split-merge mode.
>
> I assume this means that CMP can't do 'merged' so wants to know wether to do
> 'non-merged' or 'split'. I would personally prefer 'split' because refering to the
> picture 'non-merged' mode would increase the HDD space requirements for ROM storage
> which should also be a factor for some people.

Re-word for effect:
Yeah, that message means "Cannot merge sets because there is the same filename in the the parent as well as the same filename in the clone, but they have different (CRC32/SHA1) checksums. You cannot have this in a ZIP file."

So at that point you need to do either "non-merged" ("remove parent/clone relationship") or "split" ("split-merge") because the same filename with different checksums can't exist in the same ZIP file (without doing some sort of directory structure within the ZIP file).

As it says at the EasyEmu Guide for CLRMame Pro...
"Non Merged Sets - Every rom file has all the roms it needs to run including sets.
Split Sets - All rom files are split into clones that share the roms from a parent rom file.
Merged Sets - All roms from sets are contained in one file."

---

"Remove parent/clone relationship" is almost a misnomer because the relationship will still exist as far as MAME's internal information goes. The first time I saw that message back in the early days of his program, I thought it implied farther-reaching effects.

*wonders if unmerge is a word... looks like it is, according to Merriam-Webster...*

- Stiletto

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I'm boycotting clrmpro..... new [Re: Stiletto]
#271153 - 12/17/11 03:17 AM

Yes it can be confusing with all the slightly different terminology/wording that is used between the different programs,etc.

What doesn't help is that there is no help documentation included in the distribution file.

Just checking the documentation on the official website. First english tutorial just mentions a 'samplefolder' error which doesn't interest me as I don't use samples anyway. Also says 'Just press "OK To All" and it will continue', which doesn't explain any of the other question boxes that popup. The second english tutorial is a dead link.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#271155 - 12/17/11 03:19 AM

> Yes it can be confusing with all the slightly different terminology/wording that is
> used between the different programs,etc.
>
> What doesn't help is that there is no help documentation included in the distribution
> file.
>
> Just checking the documentation on the official website. First english tutorial just
> mentions a 'samplefolder' error which doesn't interest me as I don't use samples
> anyway. Also says 'Just press "OK To All" and it will continue', which doesn't
> explain any of the other question boxes that popup. The second english tutorial is a
> dead link.

Seriously? For shame. Maybe I'll get off my duff one of these days and fix this properly. (or one of the other "community helpers" like etabeta, Andrew Gardner, Tafoid...)

- Stiletto

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I'm boycotting clrmpro..... new [Re: Stiletto]
#271156 - 12/17/11 03:23 AM

This statement on the official website might have thrown me in the past too;

"The documentation page is currently under construction. Please come back later. In the meantime, you can check out the clrmamepro documentation which comes with the installation package."

There is none.

StevieWunderful
Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: NY
Send PM

#271157 - 12/17/11 03:55 AM

Quote:

CMP has more options than the cockpit of a jetliner. Smitt's suggested "Wizard" path would probably help a great deal.

I agree. And thats my biggest issue with it. Theres a billion tick options, and the descriptions are gibberish to me, and just dont make any sense. And thats after you stumble through the method of creating a profile and loading things. Which I always seem to forget, since I dont use it often.

I like easy. Life can be stressful and hard enough, and theres barely enough time to get things done as it is. Trying to sit there and rack your brain over this stuff, just becomes a waste of time and energy... So Ill just waste your bandwidthz, and re-download every so many cycles.

I used to be up to date on everything, almost a perfect set. But now I hardly care. Especially with 35gb of useless gambling machines.

B2K24
Send PM

#271169 - 12/17/11 06:29 AM

Just because a billion of options exist it doesn't mean people have to tinker or play with them if they have no idea what they will do.

If creating a profile then scanning or rebuilding is to complex, then perhaps have a look at RomVault, which has a 30 minute video on how to use the software.

http://www.romvault.com/

Maybe it's the more "friendly" solution some people are looking for. AFAIK GordonJ hasn't yet incorporated a virtual hand that will reach through your display to hold your hand during the process.

Roman
Regular
Send PM

#271188 - 12/17/11 03:34 PM

ehehe I removed it from the package with the 4.x cycle since I wanted to write a new one. forgot to update the webpage. if you need the old doc just let me know. currently I have nearly no time to update the docs.

....and of course cmpro can do merging...

update: ok...I've added the old documentation on the homepage....

Edited by Roman (12/17/11 06:58 PM)

Roman
Regular
Send PM

#271189 - 12/17/11 03:48 PM

As mentioned...it is easy even if you don't see that on the first look. Updating from 1 MAME version to another is just "load the mame profiler in the profiler, enter the scanner, hit scan". Yes, of course you need to do a one-time setup where you 1) setup rompath in settings and 2) toggle the fix options in the scanner. That's basically it.

The default options are set to values which are fine for any standard mame user. You got tooltips for each option and usually they are self explaining -if you know the standard mame terms like "merging"-. I mean what do you expect from a "check name" or a "fix name" option...

And everybody is welcomed to bring in ideas for the layout of options on the cmpro board. Actually I ask about layout changes every now and then there and all replying users say the same: keep it as it is...

Yes...I need to update the docs...and I will do so if I got time.... and if it's too complex for you, simply use a different tool or write your own one. I already did remove several options which are hardly used/toggled in the past. Scanner Advanced Options became very small lately...
Yes, it might be more a 199x layout and not some fancy 2012 web / metro layout...but I actually don't care that much ... not to mention the needed time for a change which I don't have.

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

#271272 - 12/18/11 09:15 PM

The crux of the matter is that the program is asking users a question but they have not been given enough information to answer said question.

I assume when the program was first invisioned that it was to ease the maintenance of rom files. For all users including veterans and those new to rom files. Once it has been setup correctly I believe it does accomplish this.

I am able to use the program to get the results I want and have chosen it over Romcenter. I don't have problems with Clrmamepro once I have it setup. Although I am also comfortable performing ROM maintenance manually as well.

I agree with what was said by another poster earlier that the initial three different types of profile setup questions should automatically be taken care of behind the scenes by the program.

Whether the default action is 'Non-Merged' or 'Split', I vote for 'split' as it is more effecient.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#271307 - 12/19/11 02:09 AM

> I agree with what was said by another poster earlier that the initial three different
> types of profile setup questions should automatically be taken care of behind the
> scenes by the program.
>
> Whether the default action is 'Non-Merged' or 'Split', I vote for 'split' as it is
> more effecient.

More efficient for persons with full sets you mean. Not everyone has full sets or likes to waste hard disk space in games they won't play. For them there is 'non-merged' and the option to include BIOS files in every ZIP. If I'm not mistaken split is already a ClrMAME default, if not there's always the option to make your own default. All this is discussion for the official ClrMAME forum and not here anyway, but the option is present.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#271308 - 12/19/11 02:18 AM

> > I agree with what was said by another poster earlier that the initial three
> different
> > types of profile setup questions should automatically be taken care of behind the
> > scenes by the program.
> >
> > Whether the default action is 'Non-Merged' or 'Split', I vote for 'split' as it is
> > more effecient.
>
> More efficient for persons with full sets you mean. Not everyone has full sets or
> likes to waste hard disk space in games they won't play. For them there is
> 'non-merged' and the option to include BIOS files in every ZIP. If I'm not mistaken
> split is already a ClrMAME default, if not there's always the option to make your own
> default. All this is discussion for the official ClrMAME forum and not here anyway,
> but the option is present.

Also very, very useful to arcade techs who might actually repair their PCBs with ROM dumps from MAME's collection.

- Stiletto

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

#271353 - 12/23/11 11:11 AM

> More efficient for persons with full sets you mean. Not everyone has full sets or
> likes to waste hard disk space in games they won't play. For them there is
> 'non-merged' and the option to include BIOS files in every ZIP. If I'm not mistaken
> split is already a ClrMAME default, if not there's always the option to make your own
> default. All this is discussion for the official ClrMAME forum and not here anyway,
> but the option is present.

If you saw the descriptive picture posted further up you would see that there is no difference in HDD space taken between 'split' or 'merged' modes. Also I would expect those people that try to collect all ROMs would prefer 'merged' mode for *less* number of .zip files required.

I am not a full set 'collector' and I prefer 'split' mode.

'non-merged' is a waste of space unless you were refering to wanting to be able to run 'clones' but not 'parents'.

Also, most of this discussion is about the questions clrmamepro asks of the user when creating a new profile. It is not automated so there are no 'defaults', but maybe in the future? (but the question then is to what)

etabeta
Send PM

#271359 - 12/23/11 12:58 PM

> And everybody is welcomed to bring in ideas for the layout of options on the cmpro
> board. Actually I ask about layout changes every now and then there and all replying
> users say the same: keep it as it is...

what about adding to the "remove parent/clone relationship" prompt and to most of the others a text like "if you don't know what this message means, just press "yes" which is the option which makes no damage to your romset"

this might probably suggest that Yes and Default option values are the right choice for most prompts...

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I'm boycotting clrmpro..... new [Re: etabeta]
#271361 - 12/23/11 01:05 PM

> what about adding to the "remove parent/clone relationship" prompt and to most of the
> others a text like "if you don't know what this message means, just press "yes" which
> is the option which makes no damage to your romset"
>
> this might probably suggest that Yes and Default option values are the right choice
> for most prompts...

If 'yes' refers to creating 'non-merged' sets then I hope not as I would not want perhaps 500% more HDD space taken for no 'functional' reason.

Roman
Regular
Send PM

#271362 - 12/23/11 01:24 PM

Eeeerm....I guess you did not understand this...

If you select "yes", it will only remove the parent/clone relationship of the set in question. This does not affect merging (split/full/not merged) of the loaded database.

So if you got:

pacman (parent)
rom1.bin crc 12345678
-and-
pacman2 (clone of pacman)
rom1.bin crc 87654321

You can't full-merge this set (without using subfolders) since rom1.bin would overwrite the other instance. If you select "Yes", it will only remove the "clone of pacman" information from pacman2. So you only make pacman2 a standalone set.

If you select "Yes to all", it only means that further upcoming questions of that type will also be answered with "yes".

If you select "No" (No to all", the prefered merge mode will be set to split merged and you can't change it anymore in the scanner (however usually noone changes the merge mode after one initialization anyway...)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#271367 - 12/23/11 03:50 PM

> If 'yes' refers to creating 'non-merged' sets then I hope not as I would not want
> perhaps 500% more HDD space taken for no 'functional' reason.

Man, Bart's going to be thrilled to hear that "the ability to run Supermodel" is "no functional reason" ;-)

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

#271391 - 12/23/11 11:21 PM

> > If 'yes' refers to creating 'non-merged' sets then I hope not as I would not want
> > perhaps 500% more HDD space taken for no 'functional' reason.
>
> Man, Bart's going to be thrilled to hear that "the ability to run Supermodel" is "no
> functional reason" ;-)

Hmm, well I was referring to using clrmamepro with the MAME emulator not other emulators.

Apparently you got me there, ok, so maybe clrmamepro could have different 'auto default' setups for per emulator then.

PS: I primarily only use clrmamepro with MAME roms, so I am not sure how it functions elsewhere.

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

#271392 - 12/23/11 11:34 PM

> Eeeerm....I guess you did not understand this...
>
> If you select "yes", it will only remove the parent/clone relationship of the set in
> question. This does not affect merging (split/full/not merged) of the loaded
> database.
>
> So if you got:
>
> pacman (parent)
> rom1.bin crc 12345678
> -and-
> pacman2 (clone of pacman)
> rom1.bin crc 87654321
>
> You can't full-merge this set (without using subfolders) since rom1.bin would
> overwrite the other instance. If you select "Yes", it will only remove the "clone of
> pacman" information from pacman2. So you only make pacman2 a standalone set.
>
> If you select "Yes to all", it only means that further upcoming questions of that
> type will also be answered with "yes".
>
> If you select "No" (No to all", the prefered merge mode will be set to split merged
> and you can't change it anymore in the scanner (however usually noone changes the
> merge mode after one initialization anyway...)

Oh, so it doesn't actually physically effect anything, it just gives a green light as to whether you could 'non-merge'/'merge'/'split' further on or just 'split' only.

In the 'rebuilder' the 'split' mode is the default right? So, then everything works how I prefer anyway regardless.

In that case so that everyone can have full functionality regardless of their personal preference, all initial profile questions should be 'yes to all' done behind the scenes without need of user intervention I guess.

Roman
Regular
Send PM

#271393 - 12/23/11 11:46 PM

It only prevents you from overwriting identical named but bytewise different files in case you full merge the sets.

Either it forces you to switch to "prefer split-merged" mode (if you answer NO) or it will remove the clone relationship from the set (and only from *that* set) (if you answer YES). So a minimum gain of used diskspace for that now standalone set. Noone actually cares if total MAME is around 260GB and you get some additional bytes for these sets...

If you don't want user intervention, you can set Profiler->Options->DatFile Errors->Hide Common. "Yes" is iirc the default.

jclampy
MAME Fan
Send PM

#271395 - 12/24/11 12:10 AM

Thankyou for all your responses!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 234 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 8687