MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Are Arcade PCB's & Original Arcade Cabinets Numbered in Order?
#270134 - 12/03/11 08:57 AM

Do arcade PCB's and original arcade cabinets numbered? Meaning, when they are produced and manufactured do they get numbered in order? For example, the first Donkey Kong PCB that was ever made, does it have a #1 somewhere on it that indicates that it is the first one that was made. And the next one would be numbered #2, the one after that #3, etc. And the same questions goes for ORIGINAL arcade cabinets.... do they get numbered in order etc.?

I was always curious if they did that. If so, then the first Puck-Man (Pac-Man) and Donkey Kong ever made must be worth so much money.

Speaking of that topic, what is the 'Holy Grail' of arcade games? Ya know how "Nintendo World Championship" is the Holy Grail of NES games... well what is the holy grail of arcade games?

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Are Arcade PCB's & Original Arcade Cabinets Numbered in Order? new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#270135 - 12/03/11 09:11 AM

I would think most things manufactured have serial numbers if for nothing else, warranty purposes. They probably don't start at 1, 2, 3, etc though. Think of the VIN number on a car. It tells much more information than 1, 2, 3 , etc.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Are Arcade PCB's & Original Arcade Cabinets Numbered in Order? new [Re: redk9258]
#270162 - 12/03/11 10:06 PM

Yea I know they just don't have a single digit. I meant are they numbered in a way that you can tell what number it was made PCB/Cabinet you got.

Do collectors care about what number PCB or Original Cabinet they have?

I've never read anywhere people talking about what number there PCB/Cabinet was made.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Are Arcade PCB's & Original Arcade Cabinets Numbered in Order? new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#270167 - 12/03/11 10:24 PM

> Do arcade PCB's and original arcade cabinets numbered? Meaning, when they are
> produced and manufactured do they get numbered in order? For example, the first
> Donkey Kong PCB that was ever made, does it have a #1 somewhere on it that indicates
> that it is the first one that was made. And the next one would be numbered #2, the
> one after that #3, etc. And the same questions goes for ORIGINAL arcade cabinets....
> do they get numbered in order etc.?
>
> I was always curious if they did that. If so, then the first Puck-Man (Pac-Man) and
> Donkey Kong ever made must be worth so much money.
>
> Speaking of that topic, what is the 'Holy Grail' of arcade games? Ya know how
> "Nintendo World Championship" is the Holy Grail of NES games... well what is the holy
> grail of arcade games?

Sometimes... depended on the manufacturer, and also the "era" the game came out

I read a discussion one time where a guy had. #008 Mr. Do. A particular Asteroids machine had gold artwork (though I orget the significance at the moment). Those are just a couple examples. You could probably find more going through the klov forums, which are more arcade focused.

As for holy grail, depends on the collector; there are multiple hard to find games still out there whih may be a grail to one person, but junk to another. Again, klov for more info.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Are Arcade PCB's & Original Arcade Cabinets Numbered in Order? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#270169 - 12/03/11 11:17 PM

Interesting...yea, I've noticed that the arcade-museum (Klov) is a really good forum and website.

I tried searching google but couldn't really find a clear answer to.. What is the most expensive Pinball machine of all-time?

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#270173 - 12/04/11 12:17 AM

> Interesting...yea, I've noticed that the arcade-museum (Klov) is a really good forum
> and website.
>
> I tried searching google but couldn't really find a clear answer to.. What is the
> most expensive Pinball machine of all-time?

Ask Kanye West.

LEVEL-4

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

#270181 - 12/04/11 01:23 AM

> Interesting...yea, I've noticed that the arcade-museum (Klov) is a really good forum
> and website.
>
> I tried searching google but couldn't really find a clear answer to.. What is the

Where KLOV is arcades...

IPDB is pinball

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#270185 - 12/04/11 04:20 AM

The most expensive pinball machine? ‘The Who’s: Tommy’ that was used as a stage prop during their Pinball Wizard tour sold for over $1 Million.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#270263 - 12/05/11 07:21 AM

> and website.

The forum is decent. The website still needs work. For information on emulated games, go to MAWS instead

- Stiletto

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Are Arcade PCB's & Original Arcade Cabinets Numbered in Order? new [Re: Stiletto]
#270269 - 12/05/11 09:14 AM

> > Interesting...yea, I've noticed that the arcade-museum (Klov) is a really good
> forum
> > and website.
>
> The forum is decent. The website still needs work. For information on emulated games,
> go to MAWS instead
>
> - Stiletto

Yea, I know. I've been using MAWS since I started playing MAME. MAWS is essential. The members of Arcade-Museum (KLOV) are arcade cabinet/pcb collectors, hobbyist, etc. and there is some interesting conversations on the forum along with high quality images of cabinets that the members snapped and posted of their cabinets that they own. I've even found some cabinet images on that forum that were not included in Progetto-SNAPS' cabinet images.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#270270 - 12/05/11 09:48 AM

> > > Interesting...yea, I've noticed that the arcade-museum (Klov) is a really good
> > forum
> > > and website.
> >
> > The forum is decent. The website still needs work. For information on emulated
> games,
> > go to MAWS instead
> >
> > - Stiletto
>
> yea I know. I've been using MAWS since I started playing MAME. MAWS is essential. The
> members of Arcade-Museum (KLOV) are arcade cabinet/pcb collectors, hobbyist, etc. and
> there are some interesting conversations on the forum.

Game ROMs don't generally have a serial number (some do, for example Namco System 12), and I don't think they would be burned onto each chip (or else MAME would have literally millions of ROM sets to find and dump!). A cabinet serial number wouldn't mean anything if the game was converted. For example, Radar Scope to Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong to Mario Bros, Mario Bros to a Nintendo VS. system. Same with PCBs - there are way too many Pac-Man conversions to write here.

Slot machines have cabinet serial numbers, but again, just about every machine will end up converted into a newer or more popular (or more profitable) game, for example, the Aristocrat MKV (series 1) cabinet has been known to have MK4 boards, MK5 boards and MK6 boards installed in them, and with any of these, all you have to do is swap EPROMs, artwork panels and button labels (if required) to install another game on the same hardware. Additionally, the MK4 board is also backwards compatible with older MK2.5 games.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: Are Arcade PCB's & Original Arcade Cabinets Numbered in Order? new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#270272 - 12/05/11 12:53 PM

Of course cabinets had/have serial numbers. I think the Namco machines had five digits, and probably started at 00001. The PCBs, I don't know. Smitty should know.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Are Arcade PCB's & Original Arcade Cabinets Numbered in Order? new [Re: mogli]
#270291 - 12/05/11 06:58 PM

Some do some don't.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Are Arcade PCB's & Original Arcade Cabinets Numbered in Order? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#270306 - 12/05/11 10:10 PM

Ok, so from my understanding, some PCBs and Original cabinets have serial numbers and some don't.

But how come you never hear anyone talking about that they have the first/second/third/etc. particular game PCB? or Original Cabinet? Normally, collectors & hobbyist of any given object, hold serial number types/production numbered in high regard. For example: Baseball collectors/hobbyist hold the first baseball player's card in high regard. Another example is you'll hear someone saying "I have the 5th *blah blah* ever made."

So how come you never hear this when it comes to arcade PCBs and Original arcade cabinets? How come you don't hear a person saying that he just aquired the 50th Pac-Man PCB ever made, etc? How come you don't see increased pricing nor high demand to own the first PCB/Original cabinet of a particular game?

You understand what I'm getting at and trying to say?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#270307 - 12/05/11 10:12 PM

You do hear about this in auctions when people have serials that seem rare, low etc. Especially on classic game cabs.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: Are Arcade PCB's & Original Arcade Cabinets Numbered in Order? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#270391 - 12/07/11 07:58 AM

In any circumstance where the cabinet is rare, in particularly good shape, or/and is from an employee/previous employee of Atari (etc) people mention it. At least in my experience.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 347 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2073