MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

What's the difference between "Special Forces" & "Special Forces II"?
#269837 - 11/29/11 08:05 AM

What's the difference between "Special Forces" & "Special Forces II"? The games looks identicle except for the title screen in which the only difference is that there is a "II" at the end of the title "Special Forces"

EVERYTHING about these two games are the same. Even the WIP section in the mameinfo.dat is identicle.

So can someone inform me what the difference between these two games is?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: What's the difference between "Special Forces" & "Special Forces II"? new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#269856 - 11/29/11 04:24 PM

> What's the difference between "Special Forces" & "Special Forces II"? The games looks
> identicle except for the title screen in which the only difference is that there is a
> "II" at the end of the title "Special Forces"

You just answered your own question

More generally, in some cases manufacturers added a "II" to games for no obvious reason, the most famous being Sega's Afterburner II and Galaxy Force II.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: What's the difference between "Special Forces" & "Special Forces II"? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#269862 - 11/29/11 04:52 PM

> You just answered your own question
>
> More generally, in some cases manufacturers added a "II" to games for no obvious
> reason, the most famous being Sega's Afterburner II and Galaxy Force II.

After Burner II added the throttle control and changed the order of levels.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: What's the difference between "Special Forces" & "Special Forces II"? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#269885 - 11/29/11 08:58 PM

> > More generally, in some cases manufacturers added a "II" to games for no obvious
> > reason, the most famous being Sega's Afterburner II and Galaxy Force II.
>
> After Burner II added the throttle control and changed the order of levels.

Yes, but that generally doesn't merit calling it a sequel.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: What's the difference between "Special Forces" & "Special Forces II"? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#269899 - 11/29/11 11:08 PM

Those examples are similiar to Special Forces, but Special Forces is unique in that it literally is IDENTICLE game as Special Forces 2. There is not even the slightest difference at all. This might be the only game that is 100% identicle (besides the "II" in the title screen ofcourse)

In regards to another game... what is the difference between "Dyna Gear - An Action Adventure On The Era Of Dinosaur" and "King of Dynast Gear"?

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: What's the difference between "Special Forces" & "Special Forces II"? new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#269905 - 11/30/11 12:04 AM

> Those examples are similiar to Special Forces, but Special Forces is unique in that
> it literally is IDENTICLE game as Special Forces 2. There is not even the slightest
> difference at all
. This might be the only game that is 100% identicle (besides the
> "II" in the title screen ofcourse)

I don't know if you can say that with 100% certainty. I would think that any re-release of a title where they slap a "2" on it (and not being a true sequel of course) would indicate some kind of small technical changes or bug fixes. But I could be wrong (it isn't my intention to argue here).

I'm thinking... wondering... If someone could make an input file (where you record gameplay in MAME), change the necessary lines in the inp. file, then load it up with the supposed "exact same in every way but the title" type of game, and see if you get any kind of error or out of sync, etc. Then again, I'm sure there are other factors that could come into play that would make this not possible.

..Somebody should try it.

LEVEL-4

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#269907 - 11/30/11 12:41 AM

Just as TOM said, just cause you can't notice any changes, doesn't mean there weren't any. It could have, and was most likely, just a new version with bug fixes. But nothing noticable in terms of gameplay, graphics, etc. That has been known to happen also

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: What's the difference between "Special Forces" & "Special Forces II"? new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#269912 - 11/30/11 01:16 AM

Is there any way for any of us to find out more information about this game? Any way of contacting the developer? I can't find any information about this game.

Maybe the developers just wanted to trick people and make more money by putting a "II" at the end of the title?

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Send PM

#269930 - 11/30/11 06:44 AM

> What's the difference between "Special Forces" & "Special Forces II"? The games looks
> identicle except for the title screen in which the only difference is that there is a
>
> EVERYTHING about these two games are the same. Even the WIP section in the
> mameinfo.dat is identicle.
>
> So can someone inform me what the difference between these two games is?

> > What's the difference between "Special Forces" & "Special Forces II"? The games
> looks
> > identicle except for the title screen in which the only difference is that there is
> a
> > "II" at the end of the title "Special Forces"
>
> You just answered your own question
>
> More generally, in some cases manufacturers added a "II" to games for no obvious
> reason, the most famous being Sega's Afterburner II and Galaxy Force II.

Thunder Ceptor II. Same title screen and gameplay as the first, going by the screenshots (probably some minor updates though, never played it).
Super Mario Bros. 2 (Famicom). Similar title screen as the first one, slightly modified gameplay and new stages. Otherwise known as The Lost Levels.
Metal Soldier Isaac II. The 'first' version of this game was never released (according to arcade-history, the prototype/beta name was simply Metal Soldier Isaac without the II suffix).
Sweet Hearts II (Aristocrat slot machine). I don't think a Sweet Hearts '1' exists (unless it's an ancient mechanical slot from the 1940s or whatever).

An interesting twist, Atari's Sprint One came after Sprint 2. However, the numbers simply reflects the amount of players in the game.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Send PM

#269939 - 11/30/11 12:01 PM

> > After Burner II added the throttle control and changed the order of levels.
>
> Yes, but that generally doesn't merit calling it a sequel.

So they should've called it Afterburner 2.0 and everyone would have been happy.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: What's the difference between "Special Forces" & "Special Forces II"? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#269948 - 11/30/11 05:03 PM

Yeah, but games were never numbered like that back then. They probably thought it woulda confused people. Besides, who said anyone was unhappy with it being called After Burner 2?

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#269949 - 11/30/11 05:14 PM

> > > More generally, in some cases manufacturers added a "II" to games for no obvious
> > > reason, the most famous being Sega's Afterburner II and Galaxy Force II.
> >
> > After Burner II added the throttle control and changed the order of levels.
>
> Yes, but that generally doesn't merit calling it a sequel.

Afterburner 2 has more levels and missiles from behind, to force you to fly faster.

Quite why they called the original game Afterburner is a bigger question. As only the plane in the sequel actually had an Afterburner.

Alot of people didn't even realise that it was Afterburner 2, it's only the title screen vector balls that gives it away.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: What's the difference between "Special Forces" & "Special Forces II"? new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#269964 - 11/30/11 09:41 PM

> Besides, who said anyone was unhappy with it being called
> After Burner 2?

The people who obsessed over finding an Afterburner 1

S

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: What's the difference between "Special Forces" & "Special Forces II"? new [Re: Sune]
#269969 - 11/30/11 11:11 PM

I was talking about identicle except the title screen. There are many games such as the games you all have been naming that are extremely similiar but not 100% identicle. Special Forces is 100% identicle. Can anyone name any other games that are 100% identicle? (except the title screen)

On a side note, another one of your examples could be the NES' "Exerion" and "Exerion II".

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

They're different... subtly different, but different... new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#269978 - 12/01/11 12:33 AM

>
> EVERYTHING about these two games are the same. Even the WIP section in the
> mameinfo.dat is identicle.
>
> So can someone inform me what the difference between these two games is?

Just because you don't see what's different, doesn't mean that they aren't different.

1) Three roms are different: .8f, .3n, and .3p
2) Using a hex editor to look at 3n and 3p, they're practically identical, just a few bits here and there are different. 8f is where most things are different.
3) Aside from the title screen, the attract modes are different. Run both games at the same time in two different windows, and you'll see the differences after about a minute.

So why did this company release two very similar versions of the same game 26 years ago? Don't know.

On a side note, I'm actually interested in why one isn't considered a clone of the other.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: They're different... subtly different, but different... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#269982 - 12/01/11 12:41 AM

> 1) Three roms are different: .8f, .3n, and .3p
> 2) Using a hex editor to look at 3n and 3p, they're practically identical, just a few
> bits here and there are different. 8f is where most things are different.

Sounds like a job for Don Hodges.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: They're different... subtly different, but different... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#269984 - 12/01/11 01:24 AM

ah thank you very much. That is the response I was looking for.

What is the difference between "Dyna Gear - An Action Adventure On The Era Of Dinosaur" and "King of Dynast Gear"? It seems the one game's graphics might be slightly better than the other, but I don't know.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: They're different... subtly different, but different... new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#269985 - 12/01/11 01:33 AM

> ah thank you very much. That is the response I was looking for.
>
> What is the difference between "Dyna Gear - An Action Adventure On The Era Of
> Dinosaur" and "King of Dynast Gear"? It seems the one game's graphics might be
> slightly better than the other, but I don't know.

Dyna Gear is 1993 by Sammy...

Dynast Gear is 1999; looks like a bootleg of a six year old game to run on different hardware, IMO

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Send PM

#269992 - 12/01/11 02:50 AM

> Is there any way for any of us to find out more information about this game? Any way
> of contacting the developer? I can't find any information about this game.
>
Ok, I'm glad Mr.Do was able to supply an answer, but did you really expect the devs to do this leg work for you? Or were you going to do this yourself? I think they have better things to do than to chase down this answer for you. If it's something you care so much about, then I think you should put in the work to find out. Sure post the question to see if someone has the answer, but to keep going on about it, acting obsessed about someone finding out for you, gets to be rediculous, and honestly, a bit selfish to expect others to do your leg work

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#269999 - 12/01/11 03:52 AM

> > Is there any way for any of us to find out more information about this game? Any
> way
> > of contacting the developer? I can't find any information about this game.
> >
> Ok, I'm glad Mr.Do was able to supply an answer, but did you really expect the devs
> to do this leg work for you? Or were you going to do this yourself? I think they have
> better things to do than to chase down this answer for you. If it's something you
> care so much about, then I think you should put in the work to find out. Sure post
> the question to see if someone has the answer, but to keep going on about it, acting
> obsessed about someone finding out for you, gets to be rediculous, and honestly, a
> bit selfish to expect others to do your leg work

I am not knowledgeable with stuff like that. If I could've done it myself, I wouldv'e. If he didn't want to find the answer, he wouldn't have. I'm sure he didn't mind. He was probably curious himself.

You assumed I was obsessed with it... you were WRONG.

You obviously assumed I knew how to do it myself... you were WRONG.

You assumed that I did not even try to do it myself... you were WRONG, as I stated in an earlier post, I could not find any information about this game.

You assumed that Mr. Do minded finding the answer... you were WRONG, as he said that he was actually "interested" about an aspect of my question (why it's not considered a clone.)

So you should think before butting in and posting a message full of exaggerations and wrong assumptions.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Send PM

#270000 - 12/01/11 04:02 AM

a) I didn't say Mr. Do had a problem with doing it. You assumed I thought that
b) read over your posts. You sounded quite obsessed with finding an answer. People gave you plausible answers and you acted like it wasn't good enough and you needed to know for sure
c) Tell me what research you did? Googled a little bit? It takes more than that. You could have asked questions about how to contact the company. What suggestions they'd have for you to find the answer yourself. If you don't know how to do something, be an adult and learn how to do it. If you're working at a job and you don't know how to do something, do you ask how to do it, or pass the job to someone else? (I'm kinda scared to know how you'd answer that)

Bottom line, where there's a will there's a way. If you wanted to know badly enough, you could have found a way to learn how to do it. I very rarely post questions in forums because I do the research myself. You, however, acted like they should have done all the research for you. Imposing on them to contact the company for you.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#270001 - 12/01/11 04:19 AM

I didn't impose on them to contact the developer. I even asked "Any way of contacting the developer? I can't find any information about this game". So you make no sense. I'm not spending anymore time responding to your wrong assumptions and statements. Mr. Do didn't mind, so you shouldn't mind. He even said it was "interesting" to an aspect of my question. I proved my point so stop acting like a school girl and move on. I'm done responding.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Send PM

#270002 - 12/01/11 04:33 AM

You didnt "prove" anything. At least your adult enough to drop it. I have to give you credit there. And, your post indicated you wanted someone to contact the company for you. There was no mis-interpreting what you were asking. I just hope in the future you think about what you post a little more thoroughly and try learning better skills into finding answers to your own questions. Ok, nuff said

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#270042 - 12/01/11 04:56 PM

> I was talking about identicle except the title screen. There are many games such as
> the games you all have been naming that are extremely similiar but not 100%
> identicle. Special Forces is 100% identicle. Can anyone name any other games that are
> 100% identicle?

identiCAL ffs

S

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#270097 - 12/02/11 04:08 PM

> I was talking about identicle except the title screen. There are many games such as
> the games you all have been naming that are extremely similiar but not 100%
> identicle. Special Forces is 100% identicle. Can anyone name any other games that are
> 100% identicle? (except the title screen)

Ferrari Challenge: Deluxe on consoles is another example, it was released with a different name to allow them to drop the price.

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=155556

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 214 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2629