MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Save States Compatibility Version List
#269753 - 11/28/11 08:57 AM

Are save states compatibile between/future versions of MAME? After upgrading to the newest MAMEUI version, I tried a couple of my save states from version 0.142u2, and they did not work. Are most save states NOT compatible with a newer release of MAME?

Is there a list that informs the reader what games' save states are compatible with a newer MAME release?

I'd like to know about how many games have compatible save states in future MAME releases. Like is it about 90% of games that DON'T have save state compatibility in a newer release of MAME? Just an estimate?

(I'm NOT asking if a game has the ability to save it's state. I'm asking about games that already have been saved in a previous version of MAME and then you upgrade to a newer version of MAME, will that save state work?)

*Speaking of that though, It would be cool if there was also a list telling which games have the ability to save it's progress/state.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Save States Compatibility Version List new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#269782 - 11/28/11 07:46 PM

It depends on what has changed from version to version. Sometimes CPU emulation is improved, sometimes something to do with timing or clock speed. It would be virtually impossible to make a list of what save states can carry over from a previous version and which cannot. Best thinking is just to figure they do not carry over from version to version. If they do, it is a bonus.

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Re: Save States Compatibility Version List new [Re: redk9258]
#269801 - 11/29/11 12:16 AM

Oh ok. Well I guess I am going to have to just delete all my save states from version 0.142u2 since they probably can't carry over to version 0.144.

Maybe one day the save state feature will be greatly improved. I know it's probably not a top priority of the MAME devs since it has nothing to do with the MAME goal/purpose, but it would be really awesome if and when that feature ever gets improved.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 251 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1784