View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Cheesoid
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/20/07
Send PM

HLSL and Linux
#269005 - 11/18/11 11:26 PM

Is HLSL supported on Linux, or is it still Windows only?

------
Parallel Realities

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: HLSL and Linux new [Re: Cheesoid]
#269007 - 11/18/11 11:43 PM

> Is HLSL supported on Linux, or is it still Windows only?

(SDL)MAME has supported using pixel shaders to screw with the output since 2007. HLSL is Windows (well, baseline, since SDLMAME for Windows has always had GLSL) catching up.

ETA: Here's how it works. Download the CRT shader and unzip it (this is the same one you can use with bsnes). Run MAME with -gl_glsl -glsl_shader_mame0 ./CRT/CRT (the path needs to be to the CRT.vsh file that was unpacked, but you leave off the extension). Presto, glorious CRT simulation

Edited by R. Belmont (11/18/11 11:53 PM)

Cheesoid
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/20/07
Send PM

Re: HLSL and Linux new [Re: R. Belmont]
#269014 - 11/19/11 12:43 AM

> > Is HLSL supported on Linux, or is it still Windows only?
>
> (SDL)MAME has supported using pixel shaders to screw with the output since 2007. HLSL
> is Windows (well, baseline, since SDLMAME for Windows has always had GLSL) catching
> up.
>
> ETA: Here's how it works. Download the CRT shader and unzip it (this is the same one
> you can use with bsnes). Run MAME with -gl_glsl -glsl_shader_mame0 ./CRT/CRT (the
> path needs to be to the CRT.vsh file that was unpacked, but you leave off the
> extension). Presto, glorious CRT simulation

Cool, thanks, I'll give it a go.

------
Parallel Realities

franciscohs
M.A.M.E. fan
Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Argentina
Send PM

#269064 - 11/19/11 05:09 PM

> > Is HLSL supported on Linux, or is it still Windows only?
>
> (SDL)MAME has supported using pixel shaders to screw with the output since 2007. HLSL
> is Windows (well, baseline, since SDLMAME for Windows has always had GLSL) catching
> up.
>
> ETA: Here's how it works. Download the CRT shader and unzip it (this is the same one
> you can use with bsnes). Run MAME with -gl_glsl -glsl_shader_mame0 ./CRT/CRT (the
> path needs to be to the CRT.vsh file that was unpacked, but you leave off the
> extension). Presto, glorious CRT simulation

How does the comment you made on your blog on 6/14 about porting HLSL to SDL fit with this comment?

I've known this method for some time, and effects are great. However, it's not so easy to configure and I've had mixed results on the output, even with modern cards (GeForce 320M). For example, many games don't show any output at all, and most games that show an output have some kind of artifacts at the bottom or top of screen.

The games that do show an output however, give an example of how good this is, I just hope support gets better.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: HLSL and Linux new [Re: franciscohs]
#269227 - 11/21/11 05:28 PM

> I've known this method for some time, and effects are great. However, it's not so
> easy to configure and I've had mixed results on the output, even with modern cards
> (GeForce 320M). For example, many games don't show any output at all, and most games
> that show an output have some kind of artifacts at the bottom or top of screen.

The artifacts around the edges have been fixed for u1, so you can get all fishbowl-y if you like. To make all games show output, you need to chain the glsl_plain shader that comes with the MAME source (it's in src/osd/sdl/shader), and run things like so:

mame -glsl_shader_mame0 glsl_plain -glsl_shader_mame1 CRT

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#269290 - 11/22/11 10:53 AM

> > I've known this method for some time, and effects are great. However, it's not so
> > easy to configure and I've had mixed results on the output, even with modern cards
> > (GeForce 320M). For example, many games don't show any output at all, and most
> games
> > that show an output have some kind of artifacts at the bottom or top of screen.
>
> The artifacts around the edges have been fixed for u1, so you can get all fishbowl-y
> if you like. To make all games show output, you need to chain the glsl_plain shader
> that comes with the MAME source (it's in src/osd/sdl/shader), and run things like so:
>
> mame -glsl_shader_mame0 glsl_plain -glsl_shader_mame1 CRT

actually, you need to also add the path to the shaders: so either in the ini or at command line you need e.g.

mame -gl_glsl -glsl_shader_mame0 ./src/osd/sdl/shader/glsl_plain -glsl_shader_mame1 ./CRT/CRT

which works fine for every game if you have the CRT.vsh shader in a CRT/ subfolder of your MAME folder

franciscohs
M.A.M.E. fan
Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Argentina
Send PM

Re: HLSL and Linux new [Re: etabeta]
#269310 - 11/22/11 06:23 PM

> > > I've known this method for some time, and effects are great. However, it's not so
> > > easy to configure and I've had mixed results on the output, even with modern
> cards
> > > (GeForce 320M). For example, many games don't show any output at all, and most
> > games
> > > that show an output have some kind of artifacts at the bottom or top of screen.
> >
> > The artifacts around the edges have been fixed for u1, so you can get all
> fishbowl-y
> > if you like. To make all games show output, you need to chain the glsl_plain shader
> > that comes with the MAME source (it's in src/osd/sdl/shader), and run things like
> so:
> >
> > mame -glsl_shader_mame0 glsl_plain -glsl_shader_mame1 CRT
>
> actually, you need to also add the path to the shaders: so either in the ini or at
> command line you need e.g.
>
> mame -gl_glsl -glsl_shader_mame0 ./src/osd/sdl/shader/glsl_plain -glsl_shader_mame1
> ./CRT/CRT
>
> which works fine for every game if you have the CRT.vsh shader in a CRT/ subfolder of
> your MAME folder

Good to know, I will try it out, thanks.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 487 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6807