Skeptical Linkbot
Reged: 04/05/07
Loc: UK
Send PM

3 Principles of Self-Defense
#268397 - 11/11/11 01:52 PM

A really interesting read.

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-truth-about-violence/

"A word to the macho: You do not know who you are talking to—and you don’t know if he is armed."

Its amazing how many men forget that... usually when they are drunk.

There is no sin except stupidity.

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

^awesome read new [Re: DR]
#268412 - 11/11/11 05:25 PM

even the footnotes.

everybody should remind themselves of this stuff, especially the parts that show the reality of instinctual reaction in the presence of assailants and intruders. growing up where i did, this stuff is engrained in me, and i have my wife for everyday living proof that not everybody has the same mindset.

"shouldn't we keep the bullets and the gun stored in separate places?"

"are you fucking kidding me?"

it may be extreme, but i always assume anything out of the ordinary is a dangerous situation. i remember once where a female coworker and i were stopped by some guy in a mall parking lot that seemed a little drunk and was going on and on with us about a gallery he was walking to for a visit. after the first introductory sentences, i was like 'wtf, are we being set up / watched /etc'. i was watching over my shoulders, switching angles, just listening and responding to the guy in periphery, and had my right loaded. i'm positive i've gotten out of dozens of dangerous situations just by my paranoia and attention to detail.

i learned everything i know from KC

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: ^awesome read new [Re: jopezu]
#268424 - 11/11/11 08:28 PM

>I'm positive i've gotten out of dozens of dangerous situations just by my paranoia and attention to detail.

Paranoia helps for sure. I was mugged in Chicago while walking with my wife, who I had just warned because the guys behind us had switched places. Her words were "You're being paran..." Then they shoved her to the ground, clearly hoping she'd throw her arms out making it easy to grab her purse and run, but since she held it in her hand, not just over her shoulder, it went down with her and she landed on top of it, creating a physical altercation between me and the two muggers. Fortunately for me one ran immediately, and the other, after squaring off with me briefly, held up his arms saying "It's cool, man it's cool." We eyed each other for a bit, each wondering what the other would do, then he decided to run too. I was in no hurry to be any more physical with him than I had to, and letting him run worked for me. Had they not knocked my wife to the ground, who needed to be defended, I would have myself ran right from the git-go... who gives a shit about a purse. I'm thankful they weren't armed, and more thankful they were looking for an easier target and ran.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: ^awesome read new [Re: GatKong]
#268427 - 11/11/11 10:25 PM

> > I'm positive i've gotten out of dozens of dangerous situations just by my paranoia
> and attention to detail.
>
>
> Paranoia helps for sure. I was mugged in Chicago while walking with my wife, who I
> had just warned because the guys behind us had switched places. Her words were
> "You're being paran..." Then they shoved her to the ground, clearly hoping she'd
> throw her arms out making it easy to grab her purse and run, but since she held it in
> her hand, not just over her shoulder, it went down with her and she landed on top of
> it, creating a physical altercation between me and the two muggers. Fortunately for
> me one ran immediately, and the other, after squaring off with me briefly, held up
> his arms saying "It's cool, man it's cool." We eyed each other for a bit, each
> wondering what the other would do, then he decided to run too. I was in no hurry to
> be any more physical with him than I had to, and letting him run worked for me. Had
> they not knocked my wife to the ground, who needed to be defended, I would have
> myself ran right from the git-go... who gives a shit about a purse. I'm thankful they
> weren't armed, and more thankful they were looking for an easier target and ran.

That was you? Ooops.

//I keed, I keed.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: 3 Principles of Self-Defense new [Re: DR]
#268480 - 11/13/11 05:19 AM

> A really interesting read.
>
> http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-truth-about-violence/

Some excellent advice.

Moose

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Re: 3 Principles of Self-Defense new [Re: DR]
#268482 - 11/13/11 06:17 AM

Quote:

The challenge for every man is to decline to play an ancient game whose rules and imperatives have been inscribed in his very cells. If you want to avoid unnecessary violence, you must keep your inner ape on a very short leash.

DR
Skeptical Linkbot
Reged: 04/05/07
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: ^awesome read new [Re: jopezu]
#268553 - 11/14/11 05:24 PM

>i'm positive i've gotten out of dozens of dangerous >situations just by
> my paranoia and attention to detail.

You probably have and its not paranoia, like the text says its your instincts. I've said before my wife is a Police Officer and two of my brothers in law and they all say take notice of the way people people look, what demographic they fit into and if they make you feel uncomfortable. Its not discrimination its your survival instincts and we all need to use them. Who gives a shit if you upset some random stranger because you cross the street or shut the door in their face. As long as your not hurling insults at them so what, they will get over it.

People are to Politically Correct and criminals use that to their advantage.

My 6 year old and I have just started going to Karate together and my wife is going to join us hence my interest in the subject of the post. I think its the Britland equivalent of "it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it." It just takes a lot longer to learn to shoot

There is no sin except stupidity.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 154 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1407