MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DocMAME
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alliance, Ohio USA
Send PM

Making a comeback! DocMAME scores on Pooyan!
#267661 - 11/01/11 04:13 AM

With cold weather approaching in Ohio, I am returning to my MAME roots...

I just picked up a Stern Pooyan at our local weekly auction for $20. Well worth the waiting in the cold for the auctioneer to get to it. Monitor lights, but board is silent. Could be power supply, will look into it, but a very cool and easy cabinet to drop an LCD monitor in and a PC for MAME, and a simple control panel to replace without any mods to the cabinet. I am looking at setting a 17" Dell monitor on a shelf that can be easily rotated and set for either vertical or horizontal orientation. Still thinking about what frontend I want to use or just create my own with GameMaker.

Great to be back into MAME... Can't believe I've been here for at least 8 years! My oldest stored IM is from October 2003!

DocMAME

DocMAME

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: Making a comeback! DocMAME scores on Pooyan! new [Re: DocMAME]
#267824 - 11/02/11 10:42 PM

Quote:

a very cool and easy cabinet to drop an LCD monitor in and a PC for MAME, and a simple control panel to replace without any mods to the cabinet. I am looking at setting a 17" Dell monitor on a shelf

Dude. Please don't.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Making a comeback! DocMAME scores on Pooyan! new [Re: mogli]
#267831 - 11/02/11 11:41 PM

Pretty much yeah. The "new school" HD monitors are pretty bad for low res games, terrible compared to old CRT VGA monitors or CRT style televisions, but by far the worst offender for low res games (or actually anything at all) are the older LCD monitors, the ones that gave max 1024x768 or 1200 whatever res. Games on them look so absolutely hideous, both in the stretch, handling movement and possibly even input lag. The only thing they are adequate for is office style work, to save desk space. There is no worse choice for a monitor for an arcade cab, or any sort of video game, or video playing. There is nothing even close to as bad.

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

Re: Making a comeback! DocMAME scores on Pooyan! new [Re: mogli]
#267849 - 11/03/11 02:48 AM

>> I am looking at setting a 17" Dell monitor on a shelf
>
> Dude. Please don't.

What mogli and Smitdogg said x10000000000.

I'd strongly recommend taking a look at this site before you start in on this project and learn from others' atrocities.

DocMAME
Regular
Send PM

Re: Making a comeback! DocMAME scores on Pooyan! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#267856 - 11/03/11 03:58 AM

I know, it's not as nice as a Wells Garner in there, but it's one of many spares that I already have and I am satisfied with the quality that it provides.

A cloudy piece of smoked plexiglas and my aging eyesight offset the overly crisp display to make it a workable no-cost solution.

I hated when .39 dot pitch monitors came out too, too crisp after living with .52 dot pitch... in my old(er) age I've learned to compromise. My 21" KDS CRT won't fit

DocMAME

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#267857 - 11/03/11 04:08 AM

Just check pawn shops or Craig's List for used CRT tvs for like $30 or less and run S-Video into it. It's not worth putting effort into building something that is going to make you regret a decision every time you turn it on. A tv with S-Video looks fantastic for low res games. I had an old LCD in my supergun for a while and it drove me insane. I'm not even a purist, don't have an arcade monitor. But ugly is ugly no matter what. They look straight up terrible. The graphics look like Vaseline and with a trail sort of like the original Gameboy had. It's really bad, don't do it to yourself or your friends.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#267862 - 11/03/11 04:34 AM

Donation stores such as GoodWill or St. Vincent de Paul has TONS of CRT TV's for very cheap as well.

DocMAME
Regular
Send PM

#267863 - 11/03/11 04:39 AM Attachment: IMG_4237s.jpg 92 KB (1 downloads)

The effort was less than 5 minutes with my table saw narrowing a plywood shelf that was reclaimed from a kitchen remodel and attaching 1x3 pine siderails that dropped directly into the slots the arcade monitor came out of. With the plexi in place you can't even see the monitor case, just the display. The video quality is acceptable to me, and I didn't do anything irreversible to the cabinet. A quick removal of the back cover allows me to turn the monitor 90 degrees to change from a vertical to a horizontal machine.

I respect your opinion on the video quality, but in this case it is a low cost, potentially temporary machine that will be used only by immediate family, and we all are fine with the quality, especially after seeing the poor video condition of the actual machines at our local arcade! Can you say 'degauss'?

Monitor in the attached pic is in vertical configuration. You can see the 'no signal floating test pattern' in the upper right area of the monitor - near center of plexi, although the camera flash washed it out and reflected the cabinet much brighter. The monitor is almost identically sized and placed compared to original arcade monitor.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

DocMAME

DocMAME
Regular
Send PM

Re: Making a comeback! DocMAME scores on Pooyan! new [Re: B2K24]
#267864 - 11/03/11 04:56 AM

Actually I just paid big $$$ to dumpster about 20-30 perfectly good CRTs that were hanging around the house way too long... if I brought one back in I think my wife would have me sleeping in the garage!

DocMAME

Lilwolf
Lurker
Reged: 01/10/04
Send PM

#268004 - 11/04/11 08:56 PM

To use your existing monitor, try soft15k instead. Works great! Don't throw out the monitor unless its really dead dead!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 364 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1607