MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

Customize sound samples
#267286 - 10/26/11 03:36 PM

A few years back before I knew about the forums.I contacted Twisty through E-mail with this question. How can I implement my own samples into games that have no sound perticulary Sega's Tranqulizer Gun.His answer was to use the sounds from Sega's Carnival and to ask the forums.That's how I came to be a member here but, I Didn't ask here before so how does MAME know it"s samples and can a layman like me implement sound.I do recall some type of list of samples that roms needed on MAME's site but I never could understand it.Can anybody help me understand how samples are recognized and how they work in MAME.

NOTE: NO TROLLING. I MEAN IT.

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Customize sound samples new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#267299 - 10/26/11 08:27 PM

> A few years back before I knew about the forums.I contacted Twisty through E-mail
> with this question. How can I implement my own samples into games that have no sound
> perticulary Sega's Tranqulizer Gun.His answer was to use the sounds from Sega's
> Carnival and to ask the forums.That's how I came to be a member here but, I Didn't
> ask here before so how does MAME know it"s samples and can a layman like me implement
> sound.I do recall some type of list of samples that roms needed on MAME's site but I
> never could understand it.Can anybody help me understand how samples are recognized
> and how they work in MAME.

End users can't add sample support to games without it.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#267301 - 10/26/11 08:55 PM

> A few years back before I knew about the forums.I contacted Twisty through E-mail
> with this question. How can I implement my own samples into games that have no sound
> perticulary Sega's Tranqulizer Gun.His answer was to use the sounds from Sega's
> Carnival and to ask the forums.That's how I came to be a member here but, I Didn't
> ask here before so how does MAME know it"s samples and can a layman like me implement
> sound.I do recall some type of list of samples that roms needed on MAME's site but I
> never could understand it.Can anybody help me understand how samples are recognized
> and how they work in MAME.
>
>
> NOTE: NO TROLLING. I MEAN IT.

mame name-of-game -listsamples

tells you what it needs. If Twisty doesn't have the required sampleset, you can supply your own. But if the list produces nothing, there is nothing YOU can do about it.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#267303 - 10/26/11 10:05 PM

>...so how does MAME know it"s samples and can a layman like me implement sound.I do
>recall some type of list of samples that roms needed on MAME's site but I never could
>understand it.Can anybody help me understand how samples are recognized and how they
>work in MAME.

As mentioned before, it is better to have schematics to know what sounds are generated from the game. But since those are very hard to find, you would have to have a working pcb, set up in a test rig/unit, or if lucky find a cab....if even possible these days to make audio recordings of what audio sounds the game generates. There are others here that can provide exact audio recording tips...assuming you ever do find a working pcb sometime later.

Be familiar with self compiling of MAME debug builds and also be familiar with disassembly of 8080 or z80 instructions from the Tranquilizer Gun game roms in hopes to find when some unknown sound effect is activated. Really look over how Carnival or Depthcharge external audio sample support works since that is same hardware (Depthcharge uses 8080 while later games are z80 based).

Keep on searching for any Tranquilizer Gun pcbs parts such as a fully working boardset ....consists of two pcbs (main board and audio card iirc) or keep searching for any schematics paperwork that the game uses. The searching might take a couple years because it took that long to find Ramtek Trivia logic schematics for Ramtek Trivia.

*excerpt from old post, from thread this year*
========
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...part=1&vc=1

As for Sega/Gremlin vic dual hardware games, Derrick Renaud mentioned that many sounds make use of resistors and capacitors. Each sound effect from any of those games might require a fair amount of time spent on testing to see if audio output matches as to what is described in the logic schematics of a manual or going by recordings of actual audio sound effects from a game, or lastly by comparing actual audio hardware from the pcb.

Tranquilizer Gun logic schematics has not yet been found. Those appear to be printed on separate blue print sheets because I do have a Japanese region Tranquilizer Gun service manual but do not have the logic schematics blue print sheets.

For the time spent searching over last several years, my guess is Tranquilizer Gun paperwork might have only been printed in Japan. I have yet to see any N. American region manual prints for Tranquilizer Gun.
====

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

Re: Customize sound samples new [Re: gregf]
#267332 - 10/27/11 06:59 AM

Ok, I understand now. You guys need the blue prints to see the sample logic and how it's implemented.So it seems this job for implementing samples is more likely for the MAME team and not a noob like me. I hope we find these blueprints one day as the longer they are out there the harder they might be to find. Thank you guys for clearing that up for me and reminding me of that post. It slipped my mind. I really appreciate it.

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 499 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1995