View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

MAME Plus vs MAMEUIFX
#266980 - 10/22/11 06:58 AM

What are some of the differences between "MAME Plus" and "MAMEUIFX"? Also is "MAME Plus Plus" the same thing as "MAME Plus"? If not, what are the difference between those two as well?

I tried researching this on Google but couldn't find much information on the differences.

Do all three of those versions of MAME let you utilize the history.dat file, snapshots, flyers, cabinets, marquees, cpanel, etc.?

Because I think it might be time to switch from using MAMEUI since it is no longer being developed. But I want to beable to still use the history.dat file along with the images that MAMEUI utilizes.

I assume that all three of those versions has the option to utilize those features. But I would like to know the differences between "MAME Plus", "MAME Plus Plus", and "MAMEUIFX"

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus vs MAMEUIFX new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#266982 - 10/22/11 07:11 AM

Why not use official MAME in a frontend such as GameEX, IV play, emuloader, or Hyperspin?

Click the links for pics of GameEX

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573028/GameEx%20trackball%202.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573028/GameEx%20trackball%201.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573028/GameEx%202011-02-14%2017-04-08-77.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573028/GameEx%202010-11-18%2019-52-54-31.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573028/2.png

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus vs MAMEUIFX new [Re: B2K24]
#266986 - 10/22/11 08:01 AM

My computer is too old to display those 3D features of those frontends. And IV Play requires .NET Framework 4, which I refuse to download since it slows down the boot time of my computer alot. It is a known problem that Microsoft refuses to fix for Windows XP 32-bit users.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Italy
Send PM

#266995 - 10/22/11 09:56 AM

Nobody has said that MAMEUI is no longer developed. Some fans me included are trying to keep it updated and working. In any case both MAMEPlus and MAMEUIFX are strongly dependant from MAMEUI source... so if MAMEUI dies, it's probably that they will quit too. I'm the developer of MAMEUIFX so you can trust my words.
However, yes, they shares the same features of official MAMEUI with some nice changes.
For more info about FX: http://mame32fx.altervista.org/features.htm

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

#266996 - 10/22/11 11:00 AM

> Why not use official MAME in a frontend such as GameEX,Hyperspin?

I for one would NEVER use either of these, paying for a front end is just an indirect way of financially gaining from MAME and as far as im concerned shouldnt be allowed.

s4turn3
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/15/07
Send PM

#266999 - 10/22/11 02:22 PM

This question is still valid.

Mamesick does a good job listing features for MAMEUIFX. It's basically MAMEUI with a lot of nice features and some patches. It uses the same ROM set as MAME.

MAMEPlus is also a nice build. It add some MESS console drivers and also International support. There are a lot of other features, but it's hard to find an entire list. There are a few extra ROMS added mostly from MESS. Also take a look at MAMEPlusGUI.

MAME Plus Plus is an "illegal" build, as it volatiles the MAME license. Not sure of the details built I think it has network gaming support and has Zinc drivers.

Also take a look at MAMEUIXT. EmuLAB has a newer build. It's based on MAMEUIPlus and/or MAMEUIFX. Adds a lot of artwork support.

Edited by s4turn3 (10/22/11 02:26 PM)

B2K24
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus vs MAMEUIFX new [Re: Ziggy100]
#267010 - 10/22/11 06:34 PM

> I for one would NEVER use either of these, paying for a front end is just an indirect
> way of financially gaining from MAME and as far as im concerned shouldnt be allowed.

Payment is not a requirement to use any of the frontends I have listed.

Anyway, it's your choice to miss out on using impressive software. Feel free to stick with unstable ui's.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

#267013 - 10/22/11 06:47 PM

> My computer is too old to display those 3D features of those frontends.

GameEX min requirements are a P3 850mhz

Edited by mesk (10/22/11 06:51 PM)

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#267014 - 10/22/11 06:58 PM

> Why not use official MAME in a frontend such as GameEX, IV play, emuloader, or
> Hyperspin?
>

What makes these official? I don't see a link or recommendation on mamedev.org to any of those.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Loc: Italy
Send PM

#267015 - 10/22/11 07:00 PM

> Anyway, it's your choice to miss out on using impressive software. Feel free to stick
> with unstable ui's.

That's quite offensive to all people have kept MAMEUI alive on those years. If you don't like it, don't use it. Stop. Otherwise you are strongly invited to contribute and help (or to shut up).

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus vs MAMEUIFX new [Re: redk9258]
#267017 - 10/22/11 07:11 PM

> > Why not use official MAME in a frontend such as GameEX, IV play, emuloader, or
> > Hyperspin?
> >
>
> What makes these official? I don't see a link or recommendation on mamedev.org to any
> of those.

He said official MAME .. as in the command-line binaries.
Then he suggested some Front-Ends which he has used or heard about which are popular.

If you want an extensive list of Front-Ends, go here:
http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Front-Ends

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#267018 - 10/22/11 07:26 PM

> > Why not use official MAME in a frontend such as GameEX, IV play, emuloader, or
> > Hyperspin?
> >
>
> What makes these official? I don't see a link or recommendation on mamedev.org to any
> of those.

MAMEdev doesn't formally recommend front ends, but those 4 plus QMC2 are the ones I personally tell noobs to look at.

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus vs MAMEUIFX new [Re: Ziggy100]
#267019 - 10/22/11 07:29 PM

> > Why not use official MAME in a frontend such as GameEX,Hyperspin?
>
>
> I for one would NEVER use either of these, paying for a front end is just an indirect
> way of financially gaining from MAME and as far as im concerned shouldnt be allowed.

They do more then just MAME.Other emulators,movies,music

ReadOnly
MESSfan
Reged: 10/24/10
Loc: Paris La Défense
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus vs MAMEUIFX new [Re: R. Belmont]
#267020 - 10/22/11 07:35 PM

> > > Why not use official MAME in a frontend such as GameEX, IV play, emuloader, or
> > > Hyperspin?
> > >
> >
> > What makes these official? I don't see a link or recommendation on mamedev.org to
> any
> > of those.
>
> MAMEdev doesn't formally recommend front ends, but those 4 plus QMC2 are the ones I
> personally tell noobs to look at.

Are you implying that liking user friendly interface makes one a "noob" ?

B2K24
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus vs MAMEUIFX new [Re: R. Belmont]
#267021 - 10/22/11 07:41 PM

> MAMEdev doesn't formally recommend front ends, but those 4 plus QMC2 are the ones I
> personally tell noobs to look at.

I forgot to give QMC2 an honorable mention as it's a very impressive software. #2 in my book for MAME and #1 for MESS.
Definitely worth a look and I highly recommend it.

DaffyDuck
As silly/crazy as possible
Reged: 10/04/06
Send PM

#267023 - 10/22/11 08:12 PM

> Also is "MAME
> Plus Plus" the same thing as "MAME Plus"? If not, what are the difference between
> those two as well?

Mame Plus Plus has support for Kaillera netplay. All other features are the same as far as I know.

Daffy Duck

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus vs MAMEUIFX new [Re: ReadOnly]
#267029 - 10/23/11 12:16 AM

> > > > GameEX, IV/play, emuloader, or Hyperspin?
> > > >
> > > What makes these official?
> >
> > MAMEdev doesn't formally recommend front ends, but those 4 plus QMC2 are the ones I
> > personally tell noobs to look at.
>
> Are you implying that liking user friendly interface makes one a "noob" ?

No, I'm stating that "MAMEdev doesn't formally recommend front ends, but those 4 plus QMC2 are the ones I personally tell noobs to look at."

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus vs MAMEUIFX new [Re: Mamesick]
#267032 - 10/23/11 02:58 AM

> Nobody has said that MAMEUI is no longer developed. Some fans me included are trying
> to keep it updated and working. In any case both MAMEPlus and MAMEUIFX are strongly
> dependant from MAMEUI source... so if MAMEUI dies, it's probably that they will quit
> too. I'm the developer of MAMEUIFX so you can trust my words.
> However, yes, they shares the same features of official MAMEUI with some nice
> changes.
> For more info about FX: http://mame32fx.altervista.org/features.htm

Thanks for trying to keep MAMEUI working MameSick. I really like MAMEUI. I love reading the history.dat on games, especially the 'Trivia' section. There are some really interesting reads in that section. I also like seeing all the images of the game (cabinet, flyer, control panel, marquee, snapshot, & title.) Before playing a game, I read the history of the game, then I look at the images so I get a better feel for the game and how it would really be/feel like playing it on a real cabinet. Whoever originally thought of that idea to include the images & history of the games is awesome.

Wow, there sure is alot of different frontends etc. for MAME. For the moment, I'm going to stick with MAMEUI. But it's nice to know some of the other options incase I ever decide to switch. If/when I do switch, I think I'm leaning towards MAMEUIFX. It has some nice additions that I like, such as support for hiscore.dat and even the little things such as the system tray icon.

What is the official website of MAME Plus? I couldn't find it. All I found was it's SourceForge page.

Do all those other versions, such as MAMEUIFX & MAME Plus load slow like MAMEUI? You know how MAMEUI takes over a minute to load... well do those versions take long to load too?

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus vs MAMEUIFX new [Re: Tafoid]
#267045 - 10/23/11 07:15 AM

> He said official MAME .. as in the command-line binaries.
> Then he suggested some Front-Ends which he has used or heard about which are popular.
>
> If you want an extensive list of Front-Ends, go here:
> http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Front-Ends

My bad. I mis-read his post. Now let me go wipe that egg off my face.

kevenz
Reged: 04/25/11
Send PM

#267257 - 10/26/11 02:42 AM

I was using Mame plus last year but now I think the best option is using the original Mame64.exe + Emuloader.

Emuloader is super simple, fast, great looking, etc..

It takes 5 secs to start, click on the game you want to play and voila, plus you can add Model 2 and Model 3 games.

Hyperspin look nice but that's just overkill for me..... all those .avi and animation, people spend most of their time looking at their menus rather than play games.

B2K24
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus vs MAMEUIFX new [Re: kevenz]
#267259 - 10/26/11 03:16 AM

> Hyperspin look nice but that's just overkill for me..... all those .avi and
> animation, people spend most of their time looking at their menus rather than play
> games.

They now are .MP4 which looks great on a cab that most of the time stays in attract mode. In a few months HS 2.0 will be released and I expect it to be even more awesome.

For PC I tend to recommend GameEX or QMC2, but if emuloader is working good for you than that's Awesome
The important thing is your using official MAME

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#267261 - 10/26/11 04:47 AM

I have an older computer (Intel Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz.) So my computer can't display those fancy 3D animations etc. of frontends like HyperSpin etc. I want something where I can view games' images (flyers, cabinets, marquees, snapshots, titles, and control panels.) Also, I want to beable to view games' history.dat file. I love reading the history and trivia of games. That's why I like MAMEUI so much. But I'm starting to hear that MAMEUIFX is the way to go for people that have my preferences. I hear MAMEUIFX is very similiar to MAMEUI but has additional features. So I'm thinking about maybe checking it out and switching. It seems that MAMEUIFX has the same display, look, feel, and features as MAMEUI along with some additional features.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#267269 - 10/26/11 06:00 AM

> I have an older computer (Intel Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz.) So my computer can't display
> those fancy 3D animations etc. of frontends like HyperSpin etc.

Hyperspin is written in Flash and compiled to an EXE using a tool called SWF Studio.

I really doubt your claim that your Pentium 4 3.0 doesn't have enough power for Hyperspin.

Have you actually tried it?

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus vs MAMEUIFX new [Re: krick]
#267272 - 10/26/11 07:22 AM

> > I have an older computer (Intel Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz.) So my computer can't display
> > those fancy 3D animations etc. of frontends like HyperSpin etc.
>
> Hyperspin is written in Flash and compiled to an EXE using a tool called SWF Studio.
>
> I really doubt your claim that your Pentium 4 3.0 doesn't have enough power for
> Hyperspin.
>
> Have you actually tried it?

No I haven't tried it. That's what I read from a few people. Maybe they were mistaken. Now that I know my computer can handle it, I may give it a try. Thanks.

Cable
retro gamer
Reged: 08/30/08
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus vs MAMEUIFX new [Re: kevenz]
#267280 - 10/26/11 12:43 PM

> Hyperspin look nice but that's just overkill for me..... all those .avi and
> animation, people spend most of their time looking at their menus rather than play
> games. Yea i know i just decided recently to stop trying to add every system and get arround to building my cab to put it in. I sweare you can customize hyperspin for years and still find something else you could do. Its still amazing though

B2K24
Send PM

#267287 - 10/26/11 03:40 PM

> mistaken. Now that I know my computer can handle it, I may give it a try. Thanks.

If you wanna look at flyers, cabinets, marquees, snapshots, titles, and control panels and read the history then HS is not the frontend for you.

You might consider looking at QMC2.

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

#267288 - 10/26/11 03:56 PM

> I have an older computer (Intel Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz.) So my computer can't display
> those fancy 3D animations etc. of frontends like HyperSpin etc. I want something
> where I can view games' images (flyers, cabinets, marquees, snapshots, titles, and
> control panels.) Also, I want to beable to view games' history.dat file. I love
> reading the history and trivia of games. That's why I like MAMEUI so much. But I'm
> starting to hear that MAMEUIFX is the way to go for people that have my preferences.
> I hear MAMEUIFX is very similiar to MAMEUI but has additional features. So I'm
> thinking about maybe checking it out and switching. It seems that MAMEUIFX has the
> same display, look, feel, and features as MAMEUI along with some additional features.

GameEX is the frontend for you.I used to run GameEX on a P4 2.6 & 3.2.All HS is about is custom made themes,it displays no artwork at all.

mesk
@ the arcade
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus vs MAMEUIFX new [Re: krick]
#267290 - 10/26/11 04:00 PM

> > I have an older computer (Intel Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz.) So my computer can't display
> > those fancy 3D animations etc. of frontends like HyperSpin etc.
>
> Hyperspin is written in Flash and compiled to an EXE using a tool called SWF Studio.
>
> I really doubt your claim that your Pentium 4 3.0 doesn't have enough power for
> Hyperspin.
>
> Have you actually tried it?

HS will not run on a P4.You need a dual core.I have tried it and even with everything turned down,it is still slow as molasses.GameEX or QMC2 is a far better choice.

Edited by mesk (10/26/11 04:01 PM)

B2K24
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus vs MAMEUIFX new [Re: mesk]
#267292 - 10/26/11 05:31 PM

> GameEX is the frontend for you.

Normally I would agree, but OSG wants to browse the history.dat and I don't see or can't find in GameEX to do this. I think QMC2 is the next best option for him.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#267293 - 10/26/11 05:44 PM

> > GameEX is the frontend for you.
>
> Normally I would agree, but OSG wants to browse the history.dat and I don't see or
> can't find in GameEX to do this. I think QMC2 is the next best option for him.

Mine does all that (view .dat, assorted .png files) but it's not a typical interface. I made it as a MAME32 substitute in the day that attempts to keep a retro DOS feel while giving you functionality and compatibility with MAME versions as old as 0.37b15. Just extract the program, place MAME in there (and needed libraries) and you are good to go.

http://mameload.mameworld.info

B2K24
Send PM

#267298 - 10/26/11 07:06 PM

Very cool software. I had no idea this even existed.
Will check it out, Thanks!

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#267322 - 10/27/11 04:21 AM

Thank you guys very much for the feedback and suggestions.

Ok, so Hyperspin is out of the question for me due to it running too slow on my Pentium 4.

GameEX, I watched a demo of it on youtube and didn't see the history & trivia information of the game. It seems like a cool front end, but I'm not really interested in all those non-mame features such as the radio, ability to view personal pictures, watching dvds, reading the news, etc. I have my own programs for viewing personal pictures, watching dvds, listening to the radio, and reading the news. So I would never use those features in GameEX. Some people like it because they feel its more convenient for them since you can do all those things all in the same program. But I personally would rather use my internet browser to read the news, Pandora to listen to the radio, and my dvd player program that automatically starts when inserting a dvd to watch a movie.

The images of the flyers, cabinets, marquees, and control panels that are displayed in GameEX seem to be displayed much smaller compared to MAMEUI, MAMEUIFX, and QMC2. Maybe that can be customized to make it larger in GameEX, I don't know.

Also, it seems GameEX is alot more CPU intensive than others such as MAMEUI, MAMEUIFX, and QMC2. While scrolling through the game selection in GameEX, each game plays a preview video of the gameplay. That seems CPU intensive and seems like it would slow down my computer and slow down the process of searching/finding my desired game. I'm sure you can turn off that feature but that defeats the purpose of that frontend since it's one of it's main features.

So due to the lack of the history.dat information, the non-mame features that I'd never use, and the CPU intensive, I don't think GameEX is the right frontend for me.

It seems to me that frontends like HyperSpin and GameEX are better suited for people that have real arcade cabinets.

I checked out QMC2, and that seems alot better for my preference. It doesn't seem CPU intensive and it doesn't seem to have all those useless non-mame features.

So I think the two that fits my preference the best is MAMEUIFX and QMC2. I'm leaning towards MAMEUIFX at the moment, but I think I will try them both out to see which I like better. MAMEUIFX seems to be the most similiar to MAMEUI, which I like.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#267324 - 10/27/11 04:36 AM

You may want to try MAME+GUI

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#267325 - 10/27/11 04:45 AM

> You may want to try MAME+GUI

From my understanding, MAME+GUI is the same program as MAME Plus, right? They just renamed it? Because when I'm at MAMEWorld and I click on the link "MAME Plus!", it brings me to the same page as your link for MAME+GUI.

soviet
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/18/09
Send PM

#267336 - 10/27/11 09:29 AM

> > You may want to try MAME+GUI
>
> From my understanding, MAME+GUI is the same program as MAME Plus, right? They just
> renamed it? Because when I'm at MAMEWorld and I click on the link "MAME Plus!", it
> brings me to the same page as your link for MAME+GUI.
Residing on the same web page is expected for a project by the same team...

As you could tell by the small executable size and by the fact that it isn't updated along with MAME updates, MAME+ GUI is a front end that calls command line MAME; it deliberately resembles the traditional MAMEUI/MAME+ GUI.

I don't know how it compares with IV/Play, which seems to have a similar style.

s4turn3
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/15/07
Send PM

#267337 - 10/27/11 11:25 AM

MAME+GUI looks a lot like MAMEUI. That was intentional. It can be used with MAME+ or with MAME. As it looks like MAMEUI it does "feel" a little different, but I've gotten used to it quickly. I still prefer MAMEUI, but it's a good alternative also.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus vs MAMEUIFX new [Re: s4turn3]
#267350 - 10/27/11 07:00 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think you can download just the frontend alone. It comes with MAMEplus. I just extract the GUI into my MAME folder and use it with a standard MAME exe.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus vs MAMEUIFX new [Re: Mamesick]
#267480 - 10/29/11 05:37 AM

Hardly. Even you must admit baseline MAMEUI has been on life support for years. Even with the best efforts of some pretty damn good coders, there's only so much you can do with a crumbling foundation.

MAMETesters does not accept bug reports from baseline MAMEUI, much less the more borderline hacks you've been known to use in the past on MAMEUIFX. That by itself implies a certain wariness about MAMEUI's UI creating some potential issues with the emulation quality compared to MAME itself-- which has been demonstrated clearly through the years by bug reports that are directly related to MAMEUI or derivative builds.

Therefore, MAMEUI can be called buggy.

There's no offense inherent to that, either. I think even the guys who've kept MAMEUI shambling along at this point are willing to admit that-- like I said-- there's only so much that can be done with an old codebase with old assumptions.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#267481 - 10/29/11 05:41 AM

Wow. Really reminds me of a DOS-based front-end I wrote a revision or two before MAME could export the supported list.

It took me half the night to hard-code all those entries. When the update added the ability to export a list, I was so disgusted with myself that I just never bothered to update it again.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

#267521 - 10/29/11 11:57 PM

> What is the official website of MAME Plus? I couldn't find it. All I found was it's
> SourceForge page.

That is its offical page.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Two ends: gui, and Front End new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#267522 - 10/30/11 12:13 AM

Of course, googling both these terms, perhaps with 'emulator' or 'MAME' thrown in, would've given you the data you needed. Then trying a few of each.

All of which would've taken less time and told you A LOT more about this gig, plus given you insight into yourself and things game-related, than flitting about, here.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Two ends: gui, and Front End new [Re: mogli]
#267527 - 10/30/11 03:13 AM

> Of course, googling both these terms, perhaps with 'emulator' or 'MAME' thrown in,
> would've given you the data you needed. Then trying a few of each.
>
> All of which would've taken less time and told you A LOT more about this gig, plus
> given you insight into yourself and things game-related, than flitting about, here.

I first did try googling both terms but didn't get conclusive evidence that they are the same program. So I wanted to make sure that they were.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
2 registered and 314 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 16466