MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

MAME Samples
#266511 - 10/16/11 05:44 AM

Are MAME samples needed anymore? What exactly are samples. All I know is samples are additional sound/music. But can somebody explain in more detail what samples are? Also, are samples still needed with newer versions of MAME? Or are they only needed for older versions of MAME.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: MAME Samples new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#266516 - 10/16/11 06:42 AM

Yes they are still needed for some games. They are wav files that are played in place of a sound that has not been emulated yet. Not all samples are available because some have not been recorded yet. There are some 0 byte samples floating around that were made just to pass an audit. The best place to download samples is http://samples.mameworld.info/

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Re: MAME Samples new [Re: redk9258]
#266521 - 10/16/11 06:57 AM

Are all these samples on Twisty's page needed for these games? Meaning, have some of these games already have these samples included in them already?

How do I know which games on this list still need to have samples?

How come these sounds/music weren't just included in the emulation of these games to begin with?

Will any of these samples interfere with the already existing sound/music of the game?

I'm assuming only the "Current Samples" should be used.

Is the song in the first level of "Psycho Soldier" considered a sample? (Psycho Soldier was the first-ever video game featuring a vocal soundtrack)

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

#266538 - 10/16/11 12:26 PM

> Are all these samples on Twisty's page needed for these games? Meaning, have some of
> these games already have these samples included in them already?

http://samples.mameworld.info/Current%20Samples.htm
Those are needed in the current version of MAME.

> How do I know which games on this list still need to have samples?

See above. The "Current Samples" link are the ones which are still needed. The other links and not necessarily needed.

> How come these sounds/music weren't just included in the emulation of these games to
> begin with?

It's more complex and difficult to emulate sound (Especially discrete) than other components of a game at times or/and lack of interest to do so.

> Will any of these samples interfere with the already existing sound/music of the
> game?

No.

> I'm assuming only the "Current Samples" should be used.

"Should" be used, not necessarily; but can be used and is needed if you want to hear all sounds from the games listed (Some games have partial emulated/partial sample sounds). You may hear some sound from some games without the samples dependent on its current emulated state.

> Is the song in the first level of "Psycho Soldier" considered a sample? (Psycho
> Soldier was the first-ever video game featuring a vocal soundtrack)

A "sample" soundtrack in a game is different than a "sample" file used in MAME. Strictly speaking a "sample" file in MAME is just an audio recording of the sound effects/music from the original PCB of an arcade game. An Arcade game may incorporate a sample of music in its audio, but whether or not that is emulated is not necessarily conditioned upon the nature or source of the sound/music from the Arcade PCB.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#266554 - 10/16/11 04:40 PM

> Are MAME samples needed anymore? What exactly are samples. All I know is samples are
> additional sound/music. But can somebody explain in more detail what samples are?
> Also, are samples still needed with newer versions of MAME? Or are they only needed
> for older versions of MAME.

Samples are used to "pinch hit" for missing audio emulation in some games. Naturally, the need for them has lessened over time but some games (especially those with custom analog synthesizer circuitry which is difficult and math-intensive to emulate) still use them.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: MAME Samples new [Re: R. Belmont]
#266560 - 10/16/11 06:14 PM

difficult to emulator ? I say it's almost impossible to emulate it. at least 100%, specially the discrete audio circuits.

I think samples should be re-added as an alternate option for all those discrete audio games, until the circuits are fully emulated... but I know this will never happen.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 709 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1956