MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Quick Question about Tetris
#266430 - 10/15/11 06:09 AM

Which Tetris is the original Tetris? There are a few Tetris games for MAME and I'd like to know which is THE original?

And which Tetris was the most popular?

(No sequels count)

colour_thief
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/01/04
Send PM

Re: Quick Question about Tetris new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#266431 - 10/15/11 06:19 AM

> Which Tetris is the original Tetris? There are a few Tetris games for MAME and I'd
> like to know which is THE original?
>
> And which Tetris was the most popular?
>
> (No sequels count)

The original Tetris wasn't an arcade game.

Atari's Tetris is the first version released to arcades outside Japan, and Sega's Tetris is the first version released to arcades inside Japan.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Quick Question about Tetris new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#266433 - 10/15/11 06:27 AM

> Which Tetris is the original Tetris? There are a few Tetris games for MAME and I'd
> like to know which is THE original?
>
> And which Tetris was the most popular?
>
> (No sequels count)

It's a little fuzzy because the Soviets were playing games with the licensing, but I believe the Atari version came first. If you're talking about the original original, i.e. the one actually created by Alexey Pajitnov, that one is not in MAME. It ran on a Russian DEC knockoff called the Elektronika 60.

Of the ones in MAME, I have no idea which one was most popular. Probably Atari? If you're talking in general, the Nintendo version for the Gameboy is the most popular by a country mile.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 394 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1764