MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

OldSchoolGamer
Reged: 10/12/11
Loc: New Jersey & New York
Send PM

Arcade game "Journey" explodes after affair with guitarist Neil Schon and Michaele Salahi
#266394 - 10/15/11 02:22 AM

The arcade game "Journey" has seen a great increase in sales, downloads, and play time after the widely publicized affair involving lead guitarist Neil Schon and 'groupie slut' Michaele Salahi.

hehe. Well... it made me atleast play it. Anyone else get curious about the game after reading about the widely publicized affair? I had never played it before, but upon hearing about the affair and then seeing that there was a "Journey" arcade game that existed, I just had to give it a wirl. It's not that bad either, contrary to what majority of the people feel about it. It's an easy and stress free game.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Arcade game "Journey" explodes after affair with guitarist Neil Schon and Michaele Salahi new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#266397 - 10/15/11 02:26 AM

I used to play it in an arcade, was my favorite game for a while. It sucks in mame without the 8-way enabled, though. The real machine has a 4-way restrictor plate installed over an 8-way leaf switch joystick. You can still go in diagonals on some sections of the game. Used to be set to 8 in mame until someone who has never played the real cab read the manual and ruined it.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Arcade game "Journey" explodes after affair with guitarist Neil Schon and Michaele Salahi new [Re: Smitdogg]
#266399 - 10/15/11 02:32 AM

> I used to play it in an arcade, was my favorite game for a while. It sucks in mame
> without the 8-way enabled, though. The real machine has a 4-way restrictor plate
> installed over an 8-way leaf switch joystick. You can still go in diagonals on some
> sections of the game. Used to be set to 8 in mame until someone who has never played
> the real cab read the manual and ruined it.

Yes. Your displeasure about the situation is legendary!
I would have figured, though, you'd have patched that already in your local build tree..

There was talk of making all games have the ability to change 4 or 8-Way through a configuration menu option - but none of the people who specialize in the input core have gone ahead and done it yet/are not current active. Expect it fall under the "wait for cool things to happen" proviso.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Arcade game "Journey" explodes after affair with guitarist Neil Schon and Michaele Salahi new [Re: Tafoid]
#266401 - 10/15/11 02:39 AM

My local build tree is a git download, I can't make custom changes to that multiple times per week.

Anyway there is not one arcade game where diagonals were present in the software and removed in hardware. If there was ever a game like that I want to know what it is. I think these same changes killed Domino Man too, but I haven't played that in years.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Arcade game "Journey" explodes after affair with guitarist Neil Schon and Michaele Salahi new [Re: Smitdogg]
#266402 - 10/15/11 02:41 AM

was this "4-way restrictor" used for all the Journey cabinets? Because maybe it was just used for some of the cabinets, but not all? Did you explain this to the MAME dev person who changed it to a 8-way? What was his response to you?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Arcade game "Journey" explodes after affair with guitarist Neil Schon and Michaele Salahi new [Re: OldSchoolGamer]
#266403 - 10/15/11 02:46 AM

It's just a plate. It's like the ones in 8-way setups but instead of making a square it made a diamond, so like in Pac-Man you get sent the right ways in a natural way. You can still go diagonal though in Journey, by mashing the joystick against the walls. It was meant to make you stick to non-diagonals for the most part. I don't think certain cabs had different sticks, no. But if you find them today you might find that some have been restored incorrectly.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

#266405 - 10/15/11 02:49 AM

Yea that's what I figured it was.

I'm curious...Did you explain this to the MAME dev person who changed it to a 8-way? What was his response to you?

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#266407 - 10/15/11 02:52 AM

> Yea that's what I figured it was.
>
> I'm curious...Did you explain this to the MAME dev person who changed it to a 8-way?
> What was his response to you?

Read away:
http://www.mametesters.org/view.php?id=2650

Note: The bug is still OPEN - so nothing is set in stone.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#266408 - 10/15/11 02:53 AM

At first there was some confusion because a 4-way is listed in the manual (doubt anyone checked if it was a type that had leafs that could have 2 touching at once) and I've even posted a video of me playing a cab showing that you can go diagonal and I have a friend who owns a cab who says the same thing. After a while I just didn't get anymore responses. I am sure it will eventually be changed back to 8-way.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#266420 - 10/15/11 03:51 AM

> My local build tree is a git download, I can't make custom changes to that multiple
> times per week.
>
> Anyway there is not one arcade game where diagonals were present in the software and
> removed in hardware. If there was ever a game like that I want to know what it is. I
> think these same changes killed Domino Man too, but I haven't played that in years.

On my build, I change Donkey Kong to have an 8-Way input so I can play it with a keyboard. There was a change a LOONNGG time ago that made it damn near impossible to play on a keyboard. If you had a true arcade stick it would have the restrictor plate and you would not notice the difference.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Arcade game "Journey" explodes after affair with guitarist Neil Schon and Michaele Salahi new [Re: redk9258]
#266434 - 10/15/11 06:31 AM

> On my build, I change Donkey Kong to have an 8-Way input so I can play it with a
> keyboard. There was a change a LOONNGG time ago that made it damn near impossible to
> play on a keyboard. If you had a true arcade stick it would have the restrictor plate
> and you would not notice the difference.

I'm curious, what does changing Donkey Kong to 8-way do for keyboard input? I would think it would be even easier to avoid diagonals on a keyboard.

FWIW, I play Donkey Kong as-is with an unrestricted 8-way. You have to be very precise with your movements, but once you get used to it, it's really not that bad.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Arcade game "Journey" explodes after affair with guitarist Neil Schon and Michaele Salahi new [Re: DMala]
#266453 - 10/15/11 03:42 PM

> I'm curious, what does changing Donkey Kong to 8-way do for keyboard input? I would
> think it would be even easier to avoid diagonals on a keyboard.
>
> FWIW, I play Donkey Kong as-is with an unrestricted 8-way. You have to be very
> precise with your movements, but once you get used to it, it's really not that bad.

You don't have to be as precise trying to climb a ladder. You can be running and hit the UP key right before you get to the ladder and you will go up. While climbing a ladder, you can hit a LEFT or RIGHT arrow key (while holding the UP key) and when you get to the top, Jumpman will start running in that direction. In other words, It allows a little overlap.

It's been a while since I've played a real machine, but I don't recall having so much difficulty climbing ladders. Even though the joystick is a 4-way, I wonder if there wasn't a small amount of movement that actually overlapped directions. Kind of like how Smittdog was talking about Journey. I've never played Journey, so I'm not sure. Hell, maybe the restrictor plates were worn on the DK machines I've played.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Arcade game "Journey" explodes after affair with guitarist Neil Schon and Michaele Salahi new [Re: redk9258]
#266458 - 10/15/11 04:41 PM

> It's been a while since I've played a real machine, but I don't recall having so much
> difficulty climbing ladders.

Believe you me, it's just as hard on a real machine. I've played DK with a proper 4-way very recently.

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

Re: Arcade game "Journey" explodes after affair with guitarist Neil Schon and Michaele Salahi new [Re: Tafoid]
#266468 - 10/15/11 07:50 PM

> > Yea that's what I figured it was.
> >
> > I'm curious...Did you explain this to the MAME dev person who changed it to a
> 8-way?
> > What was his response to you?
>
> Read away:
> http://www.mametesters.org/view.php?id=2650
>
> Note: The bug is still OPEN - so nothing is set in stone.

Speaking of 4-way controls, really hoping this issue gets another look.

Q*bert used to be a lot of fun on arcade cabs before the change was made, when MAME took full advantage of its own A->D mapping capabilities. I'm hoping someday someone can take a second look at URebelScum's suggestion/fix, which seems to be a reasonable compromise that shouldn't impact accuracy.

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Arcade game "Journey" explodes after affair with guitarist Neil Schon and Michaele Salahi new [Re: Shoegazr]
#266492 - 10/16/11 01:58 AM

I wish somebody would respond to "SmitDogg's" last comment that he posted here: http://www.mametesters.org/view.php?id=2650

There were some interesting points on both sides (people that supported 4-way and people that supported 8-way.)

Here is what I'm curious about any given game... If a game was programmed to be 8-way movement, but the original cabinet that the game (pcb) came in has a control panel that allowed only strictly 4-way movement, how would the MAME dev team determine which to use? Would the MAME dev team have the game use a 8-way movement because that is what the game (pcb) was programmed for? Or would the MAME dev team have the game use a 4-way movement because the original cabinet of the game (pcb) has a control panel that allowed only strictly 4-way?

StevieWunderful
Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: NY
Send PM

#266523 - 10/16/11 08:13 AM

There Should be a way to do it both ways... (On everything).

Another menu option labeled "Alt.ernate Controls",
Or an option to use real arcade controls, would be optimal

Alternate 'Hacked controls' could be set to be the default as not to confuse users who do not have real controllers.. for example.

This is a huge issues with many games, because a lot of people want to build arcade accurate cabinets.. and games like Spy Hunter, cant use a real arcade 2way Shifter. (Paddle shifters stink, and also, can take too long on multiple gear games)

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: Arcade game "Journey" explodes after affair with guitarist Neil Schon and Michaele Salahi new [Re: R. Belmont]
#266961 - 10/21/11 07:02 PM

-blinks for a bit- The DK stick, which you can easily find documentation on, is only special in it's particular design, nor for its function. It's a fuckin 4-way. Any given 4-way will work decently to well.

I use a U360 pretty damn fine. A P360 set to 4-way works damn fine, too.

8-ways suck mastadon cocks for DK.

As for Journey, I remember the game being hard to control back then.

AND: What affair?

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Arcade game "Journey" explodes after affair with guitarist Neil Schon and Michaele Salahi new [Re: mogli]
#266963 - 10/21/11 07:26 PM

> -blinks for a bit- The DK stick, which you can easily find documentation on, is only
> special in it's particular design, nor for its function. It's a fuckin 4-way. Any
> given 4-way will work decently to well.
>
> I use a U360 pretty damn fine. A P360 set to 4-way works damn fine, too.
>
> 8-ways suck mastadon cocks for DK.
>
>
> As for Journey, I remember the game being hard to control back then.
>
> AND: What affair?

LEVEL-4

OldSchoolGamer
Send PM

Re: Arcade game "Journey" explodes after affair with guitarist Neil Schon and Michaele Salahi new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#266990 - 10/22/11 08:07 AM

The affair that has been all over the news for months now. Google it. TMZ couldn't get enough of it.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

#267513 - 10/29/11 11:32 PM

> The affair that has been all over the news for months now. Google it. TMZ couldn't
> get enough of it.

I have no 'news' exposure. I'm a kid, you know, and prefer more fun-like games and stuff.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 165 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2854