MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

What ever happened to the Crazy Otto project?
#265502 - 10/02/11 02:45 PM

I remember reading last year about MAMES inclusion of Crazy Otto.Did MAME drop the project? I also read that Gantino made one,But it wasn't an official build. Anybody have an update on Crazy Otto and if it's going to be part of MAME?

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: What ever happened to the Crazy Otto project? new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#265506 - 10/02/11 03:47 PM

> I remember reading last year about MAMES inclusion of Crazy Otto.Did MAME drop the
> project? I also read that Gantino made one,But it wasn't an official build. Anybody
> have an update on Crazy Otto and if it's going to be part of MAME?

I wouldn't hold my breath. That issue is completely in the hands of the owner of the original pcb. When source was submitted originally nearly 2 years back, the romset needed to power that new set (Crazy Otto) were not made available.
So, we wait.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#265508 - 10/02/11 05:44 PM

The owner won't release the roms, probably not ever.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

I wouldn't care about it.... new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#265518 - 10/02/11 10:44 PM

I played the Gat version. A great effort.

The game ain't that different than MsPac, and the Otto character is just a bizarre sight, and kind of detracting. MsPac FTW.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

Re: What ever happened to the Crazy Otto project? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#265530 - 10/03/11 05:44 AM

> The owner won't release the roms, probably not ever.

What a shame.It's such a historical piece of video game history. Well, at least we got the army prototype of Battlezone.At least that's preserved.Unfortunately, if it's not dumped it will deteriate and be amongst the lost games of UnMamed emulation forever. Really sad.

He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#265531 - 10/03/11 05:45 AM

It's dumped, he just refuses to release the roms.

FrizzleFried
Reged: 09/28/06
Send PM

Re: What ever happened to the Crazy Otto project? new [Re: Tafoid]
#265675 - 10/05/11 03:19 PM

The answer is that he was about to release the roms when someone decided it would be a great idea to post about it here thereby screwing the whole deal up...

[url=http://www.idahogaragecade.com[/url] Idaho Garagecade (Updated 08/02/18)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: What ever happened to the Crazy Otto project? new [Re: FrizzleFried]
#265685 - 10/05/11 04:57 PM

Bullshit

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#265706 - 10/05/11 09:33 PM

> The answer is that he was about to release the roms when someone decided it would be
> a great idea to post about it here thereby screwing the whole deal up...

You misspelled "the guy with the ROMs did a lavish PR tour of gaming-related magazines and websites proclaiming himself the savior of preservation-oriented emulation, submitted the MAME driver, and then refused to give anyone the ROMs".

Understandable mistake.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#265823 - 10/07/11 03:13 AM

> Anybody have an update on Crazy Otto and if it's going to be part of MAME?

Not anytime soon. Apologies for making it appear otherwise. Misunderstanding on my part. In my haste to share the news of Otto's resurrection I failed to comprehend what intentions were. I am not as bright as I am sometimes portrayed.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Tingoes
Old game finder!
Reged: 10/03/05
Send PM

#265848 - 10/07/11 11:01 AM

I didn't buy it 'cause smitdogg said he didn't want no more worthless hack bullshit. -nt

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: What ever happened to the Crazy Otto project? new [Re: Tingoes]
#265858 - 10/07/11 04:20 PM

If you ever found one for sale, it was a copy of what Gatinho made on his PC, not the actual kit from the 80's.

Tingoes
Old game finder!
Send PM

#265899 - 10/08/11 03:34 AM

Just dragging your chain.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#265922 - 10/08/11 02:48 PM

Mame is not about releasing ROMs. Mame is about preservation of the game hardware. So if it is dumped, what is stopping the team to document it? It doesn't mean you have to release the ROM to the general public.

If they owner wants to sell the ROMs afterwards, isn't it his prerogative?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: What ever happened to the Crazy Otto project? new [Re: ]
#265927 - 10/08/11 04:05 PM

No. It was the prerogative of "the owner" to start a career based off of stealing Namco's IP, hacking it up illegally and then tricking a confused court system into dragging things out long enough for the real IP owners to throw their hands up in the air and buy them out so they could leave the pain in the ass and go back to Japan. Decades later when the anniversary editions came out they had the retard nuts to sue Namco again based off of the previous lawsuit agreement. I guess today they are kinda paranoid about releasing a rom set that only they have since even they can't come up with a distorted way of arguing that they "own" it in court since it was bought by the company who already owned it in the 80's lawsuit. It would be funny to watch the same thing try to play out today. It would be like some guy hacking World of Warcraft to make it run faster and change some of the face graphics and title screen to look unprofessional, and then try to sell it. You wouldn't know this because you ignore pertinent information that comes up on the forum if it doesn't plug directly into your agenda and also you suffer from Ass Burgers Syndrome making you a socially inept.

Tingoes
Old game finder!
Send PM

#265928 - 10/08/11 04:33 PM Attachment: Troll Bait.png 76 KB (0 downloads)

Bizimonki.

Either you can't read english or you are lacking in cognative thinking skills.

I will endeavour to make it simple for you.

The owner of the PCB hasn't shared the roms with us yet.

Get it?

Y/N?

N ???

No, I know you didn't because you are as thick as a bowling ball, and twice as sharp.

So I will attempt to explain it all again for you.

The owner of the PCB (General Computer Corp) has not provided the roms to the MAME team yet.

So therefore Crazy Otto is not emulated.

No roms = no game.

If you want to help there are many games that have not been bought and dumped, then may I suggest you donate money to the Dumping Union.

Bizimonki if you continue to post stupid shit on the forums then you are just the dumbest troll posting in the forums.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#265959 - 10/09/11 05:24 AM

> what is stopping the team to document it

It is documented.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#265977 - 10/09/11 06:39 PM

> No. It was the prerogative of "the owner" to start a career based off of stealing
> Namco's IP, hacking it up illegally and then tricking a confused court system into
> dragging things out long enough for the real IP owners to throw their hands up in the
> air and buy them out so they could leave the pain in the ass and go back to Japan.
> Decades later when the anniversary editions came out they had the retard nuts to sue
> Namco again based off of the previous lawsuit agreement. I guess today they are kinda
> paranoid about releasing a rom set that only they have since even they can't come up
> with a distorted way of arguing that they "own" it in court since it was bought by
> the company who already owned it in the 80's lawsuit. It would be funny to watch the
> same thing try to play out today. It would be like some guy hacking World of Warcraft
> to make it run faster and change some of the face graphics and title screen to look
> unprofessional, and then try to sell it. You wouldn't know this because you ignore
> pertinent information that comes up on the forum if it doesn't plug directly into
> your agenda and also you suffer from Ass Burgers Syndrome making you a socially
> inept.

Hey, lets not start blaming it on Aspegrers...

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

#265978 - 10/09/11 06:44 PM

HEAR ! HEAR!
Well said.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#265982 - 10/09/11 07:36 PM

> No. It was the prerogative of "the owner" to start a career based off of stealing
> Namco's IP, hacking it up illegally and then tricking a confused court system into
> dragging things out long enough for the real IP owners to throw their hands up in the
> air and buy them out so they could leave the pain in the ass and go back to Japan.
> Decades later when the anniversary editions came out they had the retard nuts to sue
> Namco again based off of the previous lawsuit agreement. I guess today they are kinda
> paranoid about releasing a rom set that only they have since even they can't come up
> with a distorted way of arguing that they "own" it in court since it was bought by
> the company who already owned it in the 80's lawsuit. It would be funny to watch the
> same thing try to play out today. It would be like some guy hacking World of Warcraft
> to make it run faster and change some of the face graphics and title screen to look
> unprofessional, and then try to sell it. You wouldn't know this because you ignore
> pertinent information that comes up on the forum if it doesn't plug directly into
> your agenda and also you suffer from Ass Burgers Syndrome making you a socially
> inept.

What a crazy situation! Almost as crazy as Otto.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#265988 - 10/09/11 08:10 PM

Quote:

The owner of the PCB ( General Computer Corp) has not provided the roms to the MAME team yet.

OK so...Nintendo gave the Mamedevs permission and access to all their arcade roms? Or did Namco for that matter? How about Atari?

Is that true? Hmm?

You are so funny its embarrassing.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#265989 - 10/09/11 08:20 PM

> The owner of the PCB ( General Computer Corp) has not provided the roms to the MAME
> team yet.
>
> OK so...Nintendo gave the Mamedevs permission and access to all their arcade roms? Or
> did Namco for that matter? How about Atari?
>
> Is that true? Hmm?
>
> You are so funny its embarrassing.

Did Paramount studios and Patrick Stewart give you permission to use copyrighted material from TNG for exaggeration of your pointless argument?

/me prepares a message

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: What ever happened to the Crazy Otto project? new [Re: B2K24]
#265990 - 10/09/11 08:42 PM

> > The owner of the PCB ( General Computer Corp) has not provided the roms to the MAME
> > team yet.
> >
> > OK so...Nintendo gave the Mamedevs permission and access to all their arcade roms?
> Or
> > did Namco for that matter? How about Atari?
> >
> > Is that true? Hmm?
> >
> > You are so funny its embarrassing.
>
> Did Paramount studios and Patrick Stewart give you permission to use copyrighted
> material from TNG for exaggeration of your pointless argument?
>
> /me prepares a message

LOL follow the image link and ask him. Pointless? I think there is a huge point in my reply. Like people who live in greenhouses do not throw stones or something along those lines. Let sleeping dogs lie. Any more?

Besides its legal for me to use photographic imagery that is published on the Internet, well it is in the UK. Maybe not in Canada or Mexico.

Somebody dumped a ROM and mamedev documented it. It is not available for Billy and his mates to play with as the owner of the said rom has not given permission.

Sorry...What does this have to do with Mame again? The devs do not release the roms to the general public, so why would that fact impact this project?

I'm sure someone will come along and give a witty explanation.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#265991 - 10/09/11 09:20 PM

mamedev don't have the roms, so it can't be checked to see if/when an update breaks the emulation, therefore it cannot be enabled, no matter what its effect is on your thesis.

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

#265992 - 10/09/11 09:33 PM

Im not sure why you guys feed this troll.He is clearly some sort of deranged advocate troll of copyright laws.

PS: dont bother trying to come up with a real killer,something along the lines of Im a mame troll,or fanboy or whatever.I wont be reading it,I will be enjoying the hard,generous work of the MAME team.

Tingoes
Old game finder!
Send PM

#266000 - 10/10/11 02:23 AM Attachment: Troll Bait.png 76 KB (0 downloads)

Dear Bizimonki,

after you read this take your fallacious arguments elsewhere. or go hang yourself.

http://www.igda.org/wiki/images/8/83/IGD...White_Paper.pdf

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Send PM

Re: What ever happened to the Crazy Otto project? new [Re: mesk]
#266004 - 10/10/11 04:58 AM

> Im not sure why you guys feed this troll.He is clearly some sort of deranged advocate
> troll of copyright laws.
>
> PS: dont bother trying to come up with a real killer,something along the lines of Im
> a mame troll,or fanboy or whatever.I wont be reading it,I will be enjoying the
> hard,generous work of the MAME team.

Why the hell do I almost always get trolls stuck in my threads.Why are they so attracted to me.I even married one.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#266043 - 10/11/11 12:25 AM

Maybe you should read what you post first.

The legalese in that document suggests that companies support archiving of game software, not allowing archiving of game hardware. Library of Congress allows this function, but like the Moderators point out - Mame will deliver its code to them.

I really do not see where your post is relevant. I am asking about Crazy Otto, not the entire Mame catalog.

Those who think this is trolling, must have a guilty conscience. I am quite happy with the response Smitdogg gave. It makes sense.

I'll have to add an appendix now to document all the weirdos I encounter.

Tingoes
Old game finder!
Send PM

#266079 - 10/11/11 11:25 AM Attachment: Troll Bait.png 76 KB (2 downloads)

Bizimonki,

I give you something academic and you have confirmed my earlier suspicion that you dont comprehend things very well.

The White Paper specifically talks about emulating old redundant hardware as software in the migration of retro systems to newer computers and operating software.

It is retro gamers that are preserving old video games not the industry that developed these games.

Perhaps the example of Crazy Otto is relevant with this fact in mind.

AFAIK there was more than one Crazy Otto PCB made. Maybe one will turn up and someone will dump the roms.

Bizimonki you are a dumb troll.

You are fast losing favour all over the forums. You have chosen to be condescending to the Devs and to the MAME project without doing any other research to back your baseless claims and opinions.

You have decided to take on the role of copyright advocate, and your lack of research into what is actually going on shows in all your posts

You threaten the MAME Devs and the whole project by saying people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

You big note yourself like you are a lawyer with a pending case against us the game preservation community.

You mislead yourself into believing that your arguments represent the views of the big game houses.

It is the altruism, passion and skill of the MAME community that have kept arcade games alive.

The only thing that I can agree on with you is that what Smitdogg said was right. You are Assburger.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#266084 - 10/11/11 12:56 PM

+1.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: What ever happened to the Crazy Otto project? new [Re: redk9258]
#266090 - 10/11/11 03:35 PM

+100000000000

bummer, it's to long for a sig

mesk
@ the arcade
Reged: 03/03/11
Loc: Rhode Island
Send PM

#266094 - 10/11/11 04:05 PM

Yes you are trolling.You fit the definition of a internet troll to a tee.You come onto a forum,where enthusiasts meet and talk about their shared interest,baiting people into arguments by talking negatively about the very subject that brings everyone here.That fits the bill of "internet troll" to me.

Maybe its you who has the guilty conscience,I am willing to bet that you have MAME and a full set on the very PC you are typing these posts on.

Lighten up a little.Life is far to short to have meaningless,petty internet arguments.Maybe you should try re-focusing this anger to a worthy cause.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: What ever happened to the Crazy Otto project? new [Re: B2K24]
#266152 - 10/12/11 04:08 PM

This appendix is starting to turn into a case study.

Tingoes
Old game finder!
Send PM

#268186 - 11/08/11 06:41 AM

Appendix this you assburger monkey moron.

FrizzleFried
Send PM

#268741 - 11/16/11 07:24 PM

Loose lips sink ships... and in at least one case cause someone to re-think releasing a ROM due to the number of emails/warnings he read about releasing said ROM...

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#268743 - 11/16/11 07:30 PM

Your wack cliche has proven it, Andrew should be officially demonized for trying (for years) to get the dump and then making an error when reading an e-mail. "Loose lips sink ships" proves that the lawsuits had nothing to do with it, it was a post on mame world instead. It's pretty simple, you're completely full of shit.

Matty_
Part-time troll
Reged: 01/25/08
Send PM

#268780 - 11/17/11 03:15 AM

WTF is with that post? Did you wake up in the morning and think, "I wonder if the people at MAMEWorld remember how much of a cock smoker I am? It's been a while - they might have forgotten. I'd better crawl out from under my rock and remind them."

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: What ever happened to the Crazy Otto project? new [Re: Matty_]
#268908 - 11/18/11 01:52 AM

> WTF is with that post? Did you wake up in the morning and think, "I wonder if the
> people at MAMEWorld remember how much of a cock smoker I am? It's been a while - they
> might have forgotten. I'd better crawl out from under my rock and remind them."

HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH. I like Frizz, but DAA-UMMMN.

FrizzleFried
Send PM

Re: What ever happened to the Crazy Otto project? new [Re: mogli]
#268952 - 11/18/11 08:51 AM

Bah... obviously touched a nerve with our barely pedestrian little friend.

FrizzleFried
Send PM

#268953 - 11/18/11 08:55 AM

Hey... shit happens. Believe whatever revisionist history you wish. It's not going to change things anyway.

BTW ... Crazy Otto is just Ms. Pac... if you've not heard.

AtTheMoment
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/02/08
Send PM

#268955 - 11/18/11 10:16 AM

> inept.

I would disagree with that characterization of the birth of Ms. Pacman/Crazy Otto
1. GCC created Crazy Otto as a speedup kit for Pac-Man. These were 100% legal. It's not like Crazy Kong where someone was taking Nintendo's ROMs and making them run on Scramble hardware. To run Crazy Otto, you had to have a real Pac-Man cabinet. The modification is with a daughterboard that requires the original ROMs be present. Namco/Midway wasn't losing any money because neither had a Pac-Man successor to sell and it wasn't like people couldn't buy a Crazy Otto cabinet INSTEAD of Pac-Man. This would be no different than rooting your smartphone (or for you older folks who had an Amiga, those Mac emulators that required you plug in real Mac ROMs to work). Think of Ms. Pac-Man as the first total conversion like say Counter Strike.
2. GCC approached Midway and asked for legal permission to distribute Crazy Otto mod boards. This was part of GCC's agreement with Atari. Atari tried to sue GCC over a Missile Command speedup kit and Atari ultimately decided they would rather hire GCC than sue them. GCC would go on to make a good chunk Atari's console releases over the next few years and also designed the Atari 7800 (after Atari botched the 5200). Crazy Otto wasn't the start of GCC's career (they already had a job) and it wasn't the end (again, they made tons of money from and for Atari). If you look at their other accomplishments, you can see they weren't a group of no-talent hacks.
3. Midway liked what they saw in Crazy Otto and decided to hire GCC to make Crazy Otto an official Pac-Man product. Unbeknowst to GCC, Midway was desperate for a sequel to Pac-Man when GCC approached them. Namco was working on the less successful Super Pac-Man, but that was not going to arrive in time to help Midway's sagging sales.
4. If anyone is to blame it is Midway. GCC didn't know Midway didn't have the legal authority to authorize a Pac-Man sequel. GCC was hired by Midway to make a Ms Pac-Man out of Crazy Otto and that's why Midway was sued by Namco instead of GCC. How Namco settled the suit is fuzzy in terms to what legal rights GCC had over its creation. GCC's contract with Midway said GCC had rights to the concept of the Pac-Man extended family, but since Namco and Midway settled (making Ms. Pac-Man part of the official Pac-Man family) where did that leave GCC? Namco was originally mad about Ms. Pac-Man, but it wasn't mad enough to ban its sale once they saw how much money it was raking in. They happily made it an official Namco product and used it (not regular or Super Pac-Man) when they made those retro half-Galaga cabinets.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: What ever happened to the Crazy Otto project? new [Re: AtTheMoment]
#268968 - 11/18/11 03:23 PM

I agree. It is more than just hacking up ROMs.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#268974 - 11/18/11 05:21 PM

They were never going to release the roms and I think it has to do with the lawsuit around the Reunion cab from around 10 years ago. I was talking to Andrew during the time (years) he was trying to get it from them. It's not as if they said they would release the roms and then after that post, decided against it, if that is actually what you think (though I think you are just trolling). And I know what it is. I don't care about getting it but if you want to spread lies about a forum member after he has tried to help us out, someone needs to set the truth straight. That e-mail he posted about said again they wouldn't release the roms but would add info to the mame source, then came the confused post here thinking they would release the roms with it, and you want to believe they were considering releasing roms still up until his post but clearly they were not.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#268975 - 11/18/11 05:30 PM

> Loose lips sink ships... and in at least one case cause someone to re-think releasing
> a ROM due to the number of emails/warnings he read about releasing said ROM...

So you're bumping a dead thread to remind people not to discuss the subject?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: What ever happened to the Crazy Otto project? new [Re: AtTheMoment]
#268977 - 11/18/11 05:33 PM

I agree it seems I confused one of the details of the 1980's lawsuit. I still have the same bad taste in the mouth over the Reunion cab lawsuit though. It was still Namco's game that they hacked up. Hacking games is illegal from what I've gathered regardless of if you just hack half of it and sell a replacement rom kit or not. I'm not going to look up the laws over it. I don't like GCC either way, they are full of themselves and had the audacity in a recent interview to say that using mame is wrong because you are playing with other people's roms after that is what started off their careers, and with them doing it in a way to make themselves rich as opposed to feeling nostalgia or preservation effort. I'm glad I don't care about getting the dump...

FrizzleFried
Send PM

Re: What ever happened to the Crazy Otto project? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#269024 - 11/19/11 01:19 AM

> > Loose lips sink ships... and in at least one case cause someone to re-think
> releasing
> > a ROM due to the number of emails/warnings he read about releasing said ROM...
>
> So you're bumping a dead thread to remind people not to discuss the subject?

I do think you missed the point. But almost.

kevenz
Reged: 04/25/11
Send PM

#269066 - 11/19/11 06:22 PM

So much drama for a pair of legs !

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 334 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 15880