MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

channelmaniac
Mr Neo Fix-It
Reged: 09/02/11
Loc: Dallas, TX, Metromess
Send PM

midwunit.c
#264453 - 09/11/11 03:09 AM

States this:

Quote:

Main processor(s)- seems the main processOr is made by Texas Instruments but does have Williams Electronics on it. 5410-12862-00

Only other notable processor is Texas Instruments TMS34010FNL-50 Use is still unknown due to lack of Schematics.

The 5410-12862-00 chip was used in other Williams boards and is listed in the T Unit CPU Addendum as being a DMA2 (Direct Memory Access) controller.

If you look at the T unit schematics on page 3-14, CPU Sheet 8/22, or page 50/74 as listed in Adobe Acrobat, you'll see the pinout for the chip.

I have had a board on my bench with graphic corruption which was caused by popped solder connections on the pins of this DMA2 controller. It did not cause any crashes.

Also, check page 43/74, CPU Sheet 1/22, to see how they used the 34010 chip on the T unit. Data sheets on the TMS34010 can be found out at http://www.datasheetarchive.com

RJ

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: midwunit.c new [Re: channelmaniac]
#264467 - 09/11/11 07:35 AM

> States this:
>
> Main processor(s)- seems the main processOr is made by Texas Instruments but does
> have Williams Electronics on it. 5410-12862-00
>
> Only other notable processor is Texas Instruments TMS34010FNL-50 Use is still unknown
> due to lack of Schematics.
>
>
> The 5410-12862-00 chip was used in other Williams boards and is listed in the T Unit
> CPU Addendum as being a DMA2 (Direct Memory Access) controller.
>
> If you look at the T unit schematics on page 3-14, CPU Sheet 8/22, or page 50/74 as
> listed in Adobe Acrobat, you'll see the pinout for the chip.
>
> I have had a board on my bench with graphic corruption which was caused by popped
> solder connections on the pins of this DMA2 controller. It did not cause any crashes.
>
> Also, check page 43/74, CPU Sheet 1/22, to see how they used the 34010 chip on the T
> unit. Data sheets on the TMS34010 can be found out at http://www.datasheetarchive.com
>
> RJ

Thanks.

Actually, I think this is one of those cases where the knowledge of the system and how it worked outpaced comments in the source: in other words, that is actually known, just not commented upon.

Still, I'll prod someone to update the sourcecode comments

- Stiletto

TheGuru
MAMEDev Dumper
Reged: 06/13/04
Loc: Dumpville
Send PM

Re: midwunit.c new [Re: Stiletto]
#264534 - 09/12/11 12:54 PM

> > States this:
> >
> > Main processor(s)- seems the main processOr is made by Texas Instruments but does
> > have Williams Electronics on it. 5410-12862-00
> >
> > Only other notable processor is Texas Instruments TMS34010FNL-50 Use is still
> unknown due to lack of Schematics.
>
> Actually, I think this is one of those cases where the knowledge of the system and
> how it worked outpaced comments in the source: in other words, that is actually
> known, just not commented upon.

hmmm yeah that's funny. the main CPU **IS** the TMS34010 and it's totally documented.
I don't see any such comments in the src?

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: midwunit.c new [Re: TheGuru]
#264536 - 09/12/11 02:30 PM

> > > States this:
> > >
> > > Main processor(s)- seems the main processOr is made by Texas Instruments but does
> > > have Williams Electronics on it. 5410-12862-00
> > >
> > > Only other notable processor is Texas Instruments TMS34010FNL-50 Use is still
> > unknown due to lack of Schematics.
> >
> > Actually, I think this is one of those cases where the knowledge of the system and
> > how it worked outpaced comments in the source: in other words, that is actually
> > known, just not commented upon.
>
> hmmm yeah that's funny. the main CPU **IS** the TMS34010 and it's totally documented.
> I don't see any such comments in the src?

My only hit comes up as a PCB-info from 1998 where that wording was used. Not everything was known the moment MAME came into existence, so I'd have to assume it's simply a case of inability to find documentation at the time.

TheGuru
MAMEDev Dumper
Reged: 06/13/04
Loc: Dumpville
Send PM

Re: midwunit.c new [Re: Tafoid]
#264539 - 09/12/11 03:25 PM

> My only hit comes up as a PCB-info from 1998 where that wording was used. Not
> everything was known the moment MAME came into existence, so I'd have to assume it's
> simply a case of inability to find documentation at the time.

yeah sure, back then. But it shouldn't be there now and the OP seems to suggest it is?

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#264540 - 09/12/11 03:48 PM

> > My only hit comes up as a PCB-info from 1998 where that wording was used. Not
> > everything was known the moment MAME came into existence, so I'd have to assume
> it's
> > simply a case of inability to find documentation at the time.
>
> yeah sure, back then. But it shouldn't be there now and the OP seems to suggest it
> is?

Listing the driver one would assume he's talking about current source. It might be his source is outdated or he's looking at some old PCB-info writeup for it.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#264546 - 09/12/11 04:54 PM

> > > States this:
> > >
> > > Main processor(s)- seems the main processOr is made by Texas Instruments but does
> > > have Williams Electronics on it. 5410-12862-00
> > >
> > > Only other notable processor is Texas Instruments TMS34010FNL-50 Use is still
> > unknown due to lack of Schematics.
> >
> > Actually, I think this is one of those cases where the knowledge of the system and
> > how it worked outpaced comments in the source: in other words, that is actually
> > known, just not commented upon.
>
> hmmm yeah that's funny. the main CPU **IS** the TMS34010 and it's totally documented.
> I don't see any such comments in the src?

Yeah, I'm not sure what he's looking at. Current source has a genuine Guru Readme™.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: midwunit.c new [Re: Tafoid]
#264547 - 09/12/11 04:54 PM

> > > My only hit comes up as a PCB-info from 1998 where that wording was used. Not
> > > everything was known the moment MAME came into existence, so I'd have to assume
> > it's
> > > simply a case of inability to find documentation at the time.
> >
> > yeah sure, back then. But it shouldn't be there now and the OP seems to suggest it
> > is?
>
> Listing the driver one would assume he's talking about current source. It might be
> his source is outdated or he's looking at some old PCB-info writeup for it.

Indeed, I didn't verify current source when I wrote my reply... *puzzled*

[EDIT]
I got it, he's looking at MAWS!
http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/driverinfo/midwunit.c

Buddy, that's not our sourcecode. MAWS is drawing from MASH's olds PCBInfos pack to make that page. Also, MAWS is, while a good resource, technicaly "unofficial" and hasn't been updated in a good long period due to hard disk failure of the developer cutebutwrong.

Additionally, MASH's PCBInfos pack was discontinued *specifically* at the request of TheGuru, so while MAWS still incorporates that source, that package hasn't seen updates in many years. Nor does it need updates: everything known as far as PCB info should be in the source if necessary. Sadly, short of someone creating a new information resource or PCBInfo support being dropped in MAWS, this info won't be corrected.\

For the actual sourcecode, see here:
http://www.mamedev.org/source/src/mame/drivers/midwunit.c.html

- Stiletto

channelmaniac
Mr Neo Fix-It
Reged: 09/02/11
Loc: Dallas, TX, Metromess
Send PM

Re: midwunit.c new [Re: Stiletto]
#265012 - 09/25/11 12:06 AM

> Indeed, I didn't verify current source when I wrote my reply... *puzzled*
>
> [EDIT]
> I got it, he's looking at MAWS!
> http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/driverinfo/midwunit.c
>
> Buddy, that's not our sourcecode. MAWS is drawing from MASH's olds PCBInfos pack to
> make that page. Also, MAWS is, while a good resource, technicaly "unofficial" and
> hasn't been updated in a good long period due to hard disk failure of the developer
> cutebutwrong.
>
> Additionally, MASH's PCBInfos pack was discontinued *specifically* at the request of
> TheGuru, so while MAWS still incorporates that source, that package hasn't seen
> updates in many years. Nor does it need updates: everything known as far as PCB info
> should be in the source if necessary. Sadly, short of someone creating a new
> information resource or PCBInfo support being dropped in MAWS, this info won't be
> corrected.\
>
> For the actual sourcecode, see here:
> http://www.mamedev.org/source/src/mame/drivers/midwunit.c.html
>
> - Stiletto

Thanks for the correction!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 469 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2313