Pages: 1

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

"HDMI is digital, so either it works or it doesn't"
#264439 - 09/11/11 01:12 AM

I'm so tired of seeing that posted (not here, I know you guys are smarter than that).

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: "HDMI is digital, so either it works or it doesn't" new [Re: Allnatural]
#264446 - 09/11/11 02:13 AM

Except when it works sometimes.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: "HDMI is digital, so either it works or it doesn't" new [Re: redk9258]
#264449 - 09/11/11 02:42 AM

> Except when it works sometimes.

IT works 100% of the time, 60% of the time.

Ad_Enuff
MAME Artwork Project
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: London, UK
Send PM

#264538 - 09/12/11 02:50 PM

> I'm so tired of seeing that posted (not here, I know you guys are smarter than that).

I think in the context of price say, over so called gold plated oxygen free, made by the finest fairies, it's a fair comment.

I've had many people compare analogue cabling over HDMI digital cables and making the assumption that if you pay £1000 for an HDMI 1.3 certified cable instead of £20 for a 1.3 certified cable the cable won't produce the same quality.

Ad_Enuff
MAME Hi-Res CD & DVD Covers / MAME Artwork Project

My current MAME system PC Specs: AMD Quad CORE 3.60GHz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, ATI RADEON HD 6570 1Gb RAM, DirectX 11 & 9.0c, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Derrick Renaud
Discrete Coder
Reged: 10/18/03
Loc: The Local Pub
Send PM

#264559 - 09/12/11 08:00 PM

If we are talking about cables, then a certain cable might work at 480p and 720p, but then fail at 1080p. The same cable may work fine between 2 certain devices at 1080p, but not work at 1080p with 2 different devices. The longer the cable, the better the quality needed.

That said, even cheaper cables are getting better these days. It is hard to find a bad cheap 6' cable. A fancy gold plated cable is not going to make the picture any crisper. It kills me when I see people talked into a $100 6' cable with their new TV. Go to the corner discount store and spend $5-$10.

Do not p-mail me for help compiling my updates, ask on the board.
Do not request sound for your favorite game. I work on whatever, when I get around to it.
If you have schematics for discrete sound games not easily found on the net, I would be interested.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: "HDMI is digital, so either it works or it doesn't" new [Re: Derrick Renaud]
#264561 - 09/12/11 08:09 PM

I'm not a cable guy... but when it comes to "cable", like coaxial, quality is apparently more important than the guy who built my house knew. Who ever wired my current house cut corners, and put in cheap ass coaxial... so yes, the entire house is wired for cable in every room... and all of it is useless. I've had several different companies out, and they all say the same thing... the cable is too shitty to handle todays satellite tv signals (cable service is not an option in BFE). I can spend a fortune rewiring my whole house, or run the crap all over the outside of the house, or live without TV. We live without tv.

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Send PM

Re: "HDMI is digital, so either it works or it doesn't" new [Re: Ad_Enuff]
#264576 - 09/13/11 12:07 AM

> I think in the context of price say, over so called gold plated oxygen free, made by
> the finest fairies, it's a fair comment.

True. My rant has more to do with the general cluelessness of many people in regards to electronics, especially the "it's digital so it's better" mentality.

Here's another example. I've seen many people claim that we need HDMI because component cables can't do 1080p (which is sort of true, but not for the reasons they think).

Llaffer
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/04/11
Send PM

#264592 - 09/13/11 06:29 AM

I've bought all of my HDMI cables from monoprice.com for $4 or less per cable (depending on length, and when I bought them. Some I bought last week, others several years ago).

I've never had any problem with any of their cables. Though I don't have any 1080p devices, the 1080i devices that I've connected them to work great.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: "HDMI is digital, so either it works or it doesn't" new [Re: GatKong]
#264594 - 09/13/11 07:11 AM

> I'm not a cable guy... but when it comes to "cable", like coaxial, quality is
> apparently more important than the guy who built my house knew. Who ever wired my
> current house cut corners, and put in cheap ass coaxial... so yes, the entire house
> is wired for cable in every room... and all of it is useless. I've had several
> different companies out, and they all say the same thing... the cable is too shitty
> to handle todays satellite tv signals (cable service is not an option in BFE). I can
> spend a fortune rewiring my whole house, or run the crap all over the outside of the
> house, or live without TV. We live without tv.

There are options...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q...ved=0CEQQ8wIwAA

You can do a lot to improve shitty runs of coax now that most cable companies have gone digital. If the cable impedance is really high it's always going to be a fight, but amplifiers will definitely help.

Bart T.
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: "HDMI is digital, so either it works or it doesn't" new [Re: GatKong]
#264595 - 09/13/11 09:04 AM

>
> We live without tv.

You aren't missing anything.

Bart

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Send PM

Re: "HDMI is digital, so either it works or it doesn't" new [Re: Llaffer]
#264603 - 09/13/11 02:39 PM

> I've bought all of my HDMI cables from monoprice.com for $4 or less per cable
> (depending on length, and when I bought them. Some I bought last week, others several
> years ago).

Love Monoprice. I love even more the reaction I get from people when I tell them about it.

"You mean I don't have to spend $80 (on sale!) for a 6' cable?"

Llaffer
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/04/11
Send PM

#264606 - 09/13/11 03:07 PM

Yeah. One segment of a podcast that I did last month talked about that new models of the PS3's component output would not have a higher resolution than 480i due to something written over 2 years ago by Sony about how BluRay players have to handle digital vs. analog output over a certain time frame. By 2014, analog output is supposed to be phased out, only having HDMI outputs.

I admitted it sounded like a commercial, but recommended that no one buy a cable from the same place that they purchase anything that connects to it (either the TV end or the media player/gamec console end) and suggested monoprice to my listeners.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 146 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1573