MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

dustmite
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/08/10
Send PM

xx-in-1 boards - how do they know when to exit the game?
#264212 - 09/08/11 05:28 AM

I have no interest in these boards really, but I do like that they exit back to the menu once your game is over. Anyone know how the heck that works? Would like to be able to do that with Mame on a cab and just do away with having an exit button. Could this be done with a special Mame compile or something?

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: xx-in-1 boards - how do they know when to exit the game? new [Re: dustmite]
#264216 - 09/08/11 06:32 AM

> I have no interest in these boards really, but I do like that they exit back to the
> menu once your game is over. Anyone know how the heck that works? Would like to be
> able to do that with Mame on a cab and just do away with having an exit button. Could
> this be done with a special Mame compile or something?

Its most likely done with hacks, i.e. code pc hooks for sequences which display game over or start the attract mode. However this feature is game/rom specific and so ripe for abuse that I don't think we're allowed to discuss it in more detail than that.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: xx-in-1 boards - how do they know when to exit the game? new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#264218 - 09/08/11 06:43 AM

I think some of them you could add another quarter while in the game and play again. I know one of the 3xx in 1 boards makes you hold a button down while inserting a quarter to exit, which is...sad. I can't imagine why you would want to do this with mame other than to not have to have a button on a cab for exit, but for that you could just set the tab menu to a funky button combination for exit that would never otherwise get pressed together.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: xx-in-1 boards - how do they know when to exit the game? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#264239 - 09/08/11 05:12 PM

> I think some of them you could add another quarter while in the game and play again.
> I know one of the 3xx in 1 boards makes you hold a button down while inserting a
> quarter to exit, which is...sad.

Happy Fish actually puts up a screen telling you inserted coins will be lost while it loads the emulator[1] from the front end. That's sloppy to a hilarious degree.

[1] It has 3 separate emulators, based on looking through the dump - a standalone CPS-1 emulator, a standalone Neo Geo emulator, and MAME to run everything else. So CPS-2 has better emulation quality than CPS-1 on it, which is funny.

Edited by R. Belmont (09/08/11 05:13 PM)

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: xx-in-1 boards - how do they know when to exit the game? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#264243 - 09/08/11 05:40 PM

Why would they bother to have a standalone Neo-Geo emulator unless they are using a build of MAME so old its Neo-Geo emulation is totally useless... Although, they could be doing what many neoragex kiddies did back in the day and running a standalone emu because their hardware sucks so much they need a Neo-Geo emulator that has all the "make stuff run faster" type hacks.

Surprised that any xxx-in-one board would have hardware new/powerful enough to even RUN Neo-Geo

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: xx-in-1 boards - how do they know when to exit the game? new [Re: jonwil]
#264249 - 09/08/11 05:58 PM

> Surprised that any xxx-in-one board would have hardware new/powerful enough to even
> RUN Neo-Geo

It's a 400 MHz ARM9 running a stripped-down Linux distro with SDL and directfb (note 163.com is in China), so yeah there's not really a lot of power there. I assume the NG emulation is missing the raster effects and the like, and I know a lot of the games don't run full framerate (you can Google up a lot of people complaining about that).

They did a better job than most at removing the usual telltale MAME strings, but the ROM data for e.g. the PGM games is clearly in GAME() and ROM_REGION format, and it actually has text identifying the emulators as "CPS-1", "NEOGEO", and "MAME".

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1627