Pages: 1

techknight
3D printing evangelist
Reged: 06/16/10
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Send PM

Smitdogg - Bubble Bobble dump?
#263823 - 09/03/11 12:11 PM

Hey guys, I noticed for a while that Bubble Bobble is marked as "no good dump", but I only just remembered that I own what is ostensibly a Bubble Bobble PCB. I say ostensibly because it was purchased on eBay more than a decade ago and has never been powered on. Also I can't see any "Taito" or other plain text on either level of the board.

But, it does seem to have the ROMs that are undumped: (faintly marked I, II, III for some reason)

PAL16L8CN 1 of 2

PAL16L8CN 2 of 2

PAL16R4A

Anyway, if there isn't a dumping already in progress, I imagine that I can find someone here in Toronto to dump them.. Unless anyone has a recommendation?

(Edit: Oh, I'm addressing this to Smitdogg because I've donated to the Dumping Union a couple of times and I don't really know who else knows about the subject.)

Edited by techknight (09/03/11 12:32 PM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Smitdogg - Bubble Bobble dump? new [Re: techknight]
#263839 - 09/03/11 04:02 PM

Those are pals, so they need Charles' special reader and probably nobody in Toronto has it. But more importantly, it looks like your board is a bootleg, so bootleggers could have used custom content in them so I wouldn't bother.

techknight
3D printing evangelist
Reged: 06/16/10
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Send PM

Re: Smitdogg - Bubble Bobble dump? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#263853 - 09/03/11 06:40 PM

Ah, too bad.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Smitdogg - Bubble Bobble dump? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#263862 - 09/04/11 12:01 AM

> But more importantly, it looks like your board is a bootleg, so bootleggers
> could have used custom content in them so I wouldn't bother.

If the bootleggers used custom content, it wouldn't help much with getting a complete dump of the original game.

However, not sure if this is still the case ..... It used to be that if there were significant differences between the game and what has already been dumped, then it should still be dumped, even if it is a bootleg. The "significant" means that the changes have to be something other than just a title or copyright message hack (change "Invaders" to "Aliens " or similar). So, if the game has different attract mode, game play, graphics, levels, etc, then it should still be dumped.

Moose

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Smitdogg - Bubble Bobble dump? new [Re: Moose]
#263863 - 09/04/11 12:12 AM

We're talking about pals, not roms, and from a bootleg. Even if they were dumped we'd be lucky to get them reference-loaded. No chance in hell they would be hooked up in a way that affects the emulation, probably no chance of that even if they were pals for the original. All these would do is allow other bootleg owners to fix their board if a pal died on them and they happened to have a programmer that supported a compatible gal and they understood the jed utility etc. And Charles has about 100 more important things to do that he already doesn't have time for.

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: Smitdogg - Bubble Bobble dump? new [Re: techknight]
#263879 - 09/04/11 04:13 AM

> Ah, too bad.

I would dump them anyway; They could be added to whatever bootleg bubble bobble set matches yours that is already in mame, at the very least.

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 483 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3606