View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

The hurricane that wasn't
#263322 - 08/29/11 10:42 PM Attachment: NOAA.GIF 21 KB (1 downloads)

According to the NOAA weather station in New York Harbor... the fastest winds recorded there were 39 knots (44.8 miles per hour). That's a common blustery day where I live.

Catagory 1 hurricanes are at least 74 miles per hour, this was just barely a "storm"... a knot or two slower and it would have been a "tropical depression". A "sad" rainfall.

Today the news is saying it wasn't the hurricane they expected... so is this just another example of the news creating panic where no panic was due? But prior and during they made it seem like Katrina 2.0.

Just throwing this out there for discussion.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by Gatinho (08/29/11 10:49 PM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: The hurricane that wasn't new [Re: GatKong]
#263324 - 08/29/11 10:49 PM

Weren't there over 3 million homes and businesses without power and all sorts of homes getting flooded? Billions in damage? That's what I read anyway.

jcroach
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/27/04
Loc: Bloomington, Indiana
Send PM

Re: The hurricane that wasn't new [Re: Smitdogg]
#263327 - 08/29/11 10:58 PM

> Weren't there over 3 million homes and businesses without power and all sorts of
> homes getting flooded? Billions in damage? That's what I read anyway.

Yeah, I never understood why it mattered what the classification of storms were. People are still dead, property is destroyed. Whether it was a hurricane or a tropical depression, the damage is till real for the people on the ground. In Indiana people always wonder if a storm was a tornado or "simply" straight line winds. If I'm the person who's house is now gone I say "Who fucking cares!"

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: The hurricane that wasn't new [Re: Smitdogg]
#263328 - 08/29/11 11:00 PM

>Weren't there over 3 million homes and businesses without power and all sorts of homes getting flooded? Billions in damage? That's what I read anyway.

No, all that is true... they got a butt load of rain... but there's a difference between a butt load of rain and seeing a city wiped out.

Water will drain away, power will get restored. But they were literally reporting on sky-scrapers being blown over... literally... NONE OF WHICH WAS RELEVANT... just seemed to gin up the panic factor (ie ratings). By the time it left the Carolinas is was already downgraded to tropical storm, but they kept reporting on the "hurricane bearing down" on the big cities.

Just seems like they super-panicked. I dunno... I used to live on the coast, weathered through countless actual hurricanes... which this wasn't. Maybe it's like when the south has a threat of cold weather, they close the whole damn city down in case it snows... whereas up North so long as the busses don't bottom-out on the snow drifts, they keep running.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#263330 - 08/29/11 11:06 PM

If you lived through hurricanes it sounds like you didn't have to deal with them flooding your property because it doesn't dry out as you say, it destroys everything from the inside out. Even if you can get your insurance to cover it (will likely take suing them) it's still a year of hassles. Another reason I like to rent. I have my own American dream, it doesn't include property tax etc.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

To look at the bright side new [Re: Smitdogg]
#263333 - 08/29/11 11:23 PM

Quote:

The storm never became the big-city nightmare forecasters and public officials had warned about. But it toppled trees and power lines and washed away roads and bridges -- some of them well inland from the coastal areas that bore the brunt of Irene's winds.

New England towns battled floods of historic proportions, utility crews struggled to restore power to 5 million people along the East Coast, and big-city commuters coped with transit-system disruptions Monday as the rainy remnants of Hurricane Irene finally spun into Canada.

Well, ok, all horrible news, and maybe I'm looking at the NEWS as a glass half empty and the reality as a glass half full (does that make me grumpy or cheerful), but way to look at the whole situation as half full is THANKFULLY it wasn't the absolute disaster they reported it could have been.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Take it from me, Floodmaster Magee new [Re: GatKong]
#263341 - 08/30/11 12:28 AM

NOAA was throwing balloons up at double the rate tracking this thing. You can only do so much to predict.

I'd prefer the media go nuts on the "be prepared for the worst" every time. I'd rather have the populous prepared for double the damage, and receive half. It doesn't matter if the winds never toppled 35 mph. Too many stupid people out there that just don't understand what 8-15 inches of water in a 24 hour span can do.

If I had my way, high schools would teach a common sense survival course. One of the lessons would have a fast flowing river simulator. Students would walk ankle to knee depth while attached to a safety rope, and get to feel how much force a tiny bit of water can exert. Maybe, just MAYBE we won't have all these dumb-asses driving through flooded roads, or saying things like "I'll sit this one out at home."

If I further had my way, anyone trapped in a hurricane by choice gets left behind. No rescue for you.

On the flip side, I can't fathom why so many people get all "It was a pussy storm, the media sucks and over hyped" after events like this. Storm fizzled. Lots of people spared a horrible horrible trauma. Accept what happened, what could have happened, and move on.

> According to the NOAA weather station in New York Harbor... the fastest winds
> recorded there were 39 knots (44.8 miles per hour). That's a common blustery day
> where I live.
>
> Catagory 1 hurricanes are at least 74 miles per hour, this was just barely a
> "storm"... a knot or two slower and it would have been a "tropical depression". A
> "sad" rainfall.
>
> Today the news is saying it wasn't the hurricane they expected... so is this just
> another example of the news creating panic where no panic was due? But prior and
> during they made it seem like Katrina 2.0.
>
> Just throwing this out there for discussion.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Take it from me, Floodmaster Magee new [Re: italie]
#263361 - 08/30/11 05:46 AM

> On the flip side, I can't fathom why so many people get all "It was a pussy storm,
> the media sucks and over hyped" after events like this. Storm fizzled. Lots of people
> spared a horrible horrible trauma. Accept what happened, what could have happened,
> and move on.

I don't think it really fizzled, though. The predictions I saw from very early on were for the storm to hit NY and New England as a minimal Cat 1 or a strong tropical storm. Of course predictions can be wrong to a certain degree, but the chances of this storm coming in like the '38 hurricane or Hurricane Carol were pretty much nil.

The problem is that the media doesn't have as much of a story as they'd like, so they start puffing it up with wild speculation about what might have happened, and with breathless live remotes perched precariously on the end of a dock with waves crashing all around. I know it's a pipe dream, but I'd love for the news to report the facts and save the drama for the reality shows.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: The hurricane that wasn't new [Re: jcroach]
#263362 - 08/30/11 05:50 AM

> Yeah, I never understood why it mattered what the classification of storms were.
> People are still dead, property is destroyed. Whether it was a hurricane or a
> tropical depression, the damage is till real for the people on the ground. In Indiana
> people always wonder if a storm was a tornado or "simply" straight line winds. If I'm
> the person who's house is now gone I say "Who fucking cares!"

It's a question of people who weren't there understanding the magnitude of the damage.

tree limbs knocked out power < tree fell on house < house blew away

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

so, is NJ devastated with floods or what? passed by the tv, and you'd think it was katrina 2.0. new [Re: italie]
#263399 - 08/30/11 03:44 PM

i learned everything i know from KC

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: Take it from me, Floodmaster Magee new [Re: DMala]
#263413 - 08/30/11 05:11 PM

Quote:

The problem is that the media doesn't have as much of a story as they'd like, so they start puffing it up with wild speculation about what might have happened...

This is what most "news" is about these days. With 24 hours to fill they just plain make up shit to fill the gaps between commercials.

Once I got rid of cable and got only Netflix streaming I get my news strictly from the web now and it's awesome. I'd never go back to cable.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: so, is NJ devastated with floods or what? passed by the tv, and you'd think it was katrina 2.0. new [Re: jopezu]
#263434 - 08/30/11 09:29 PM

Here, it was almost as bad as that last storm we had, back... whenever it was.

The town dug out the stream that is the overflow from the pond up on the hill after that time, so there was no flooding, really, after the storm had moved north, and not much before.

The tree that fell was unwell, there had already been concern that it wasn't safe.

Another house in the area was in a worse place, they did get flooded, and had quite a bit of damage when a tree fell on them.

BTW, we have trees here.

Now the tree is mostly chopped up, the stump is still too tall to haul off.

The rest of the state is probably about half as bad as whatever the news is claiming, but I haven't actually been watching any.

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

#263474 - 08/31/11 04:01 AM

> Today the news is saying it wasn't the hurricane they expected... so is this just
> another example of the news creating panic where no panic was due? But prior and
> during they made it seem like Katrina 2.0.

I don't know if the media is 100% at fault for getting people to panic, but all I know is when I did my usual stop at the grocery store Friday after work 99.999% of the milk was gone. I ended up buying the 2nd to last gallon of organic milk available. All the other gallon of milk types were picked clean and the store manager said they would get another shipment on Saturday. I actually stood starring at the empty milk shelves for 5 minutes shaking my head and thinking in the back of my mind WTF people? We are in Pennsylvania about an hour west of Philadelphia. This isn't the Jersey shore or any other parts of the eastern coast.

Kevin Eshbach

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

Re: Take it from me, Floodmaster Magee new [Re: Hizzout]
#263475 - 08/31/11 04:04 AM

> Once I got rid of cable and got only Netflix streaming I get my news strictly from
> the web now and it's awesome. I'd never go back to cable.

I'm finding the alternate media (RT, Al Jazeera English) more informative than the mainstream media.

Kevin Eshbach

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: The hurricane that wasn't new [Re: keshbach1]
#263476 - 08/31/11 04:28 AM

> I don't know if the media is 100% at fault for getting people to panic, but all I
> know is when I did my usual stop at the grocery store Friday after work 99.999% of
> the milk was gone. I ended up buying the 2nd to last gallon of organic milk
> available. All the other gallon of milk types were picked clean and the store manager
> said they would get another shipment on Saturday. I actually stood starring at the
> empty milk shelves for 5 minutes shaking my head and thinking in the back of my mind
> WTF people? We are in Pennsylvania about an hour west of Philadelphia. This isn't the
> Jersey shore or any other parts of the eastern coast.

I've never understood the frenzied purchasing of milk before a big storm anyway. You get hit and lose power, what's the first thing in your refrigerator that going to spoil?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 399 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1788