View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

The Big Man
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/08/06
Send PM

Alternantive to Triplebuffer
#261656 - 08/06/11 11:29 PM

Like most people when running games in mame my setup exhibits screen tear, if I enable Triplebuffer it stops this but I seem to have another issue while this is enabled.

The issue I am having is quite difficult to describe but its like I get extra/ghost controller inputs for example if you were to press left once, on occassion it would triple the input and you would see extra movement on screen.

To be fair I am using a fairly old version of mame, mame.83 to be precise and It does mention a problem with the Triplebuffer option of this version in the documentation.

So I suppose my question is does anyone know if this issue was addressed in a later build of mame or is there any other options that I can tweak to stop/minimize the screen tear? The reason I choose this version for my setup was I found that It was most compatible with the games I wanted on my system and when upgrading to a newer version you run the risk of some games no longer being supported.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Alternative to Triplebuffer new [Re: The Big Man]
#263473 - 08/31/11 03:32 AM

> The reason I choose this version for my setup was I found that It was
> most compatible with the games I wanted on my system and when upgrading to a newer
> version you run the risk of some games no longer being supported.

You're wrong (and your post in in the wrong section where nobody will see it). All you need to do is update your ROMs. There were no games in .83 that aren't supported in 143u4.

0.83 is 7 years old, you're missing out. Emulation of several classics has been greatly improved since then. Real speech in Berzerk, discrete sound emulation in Phoenix and Donkey Kong, SEGA1094 decryption, the video and input system were overhauled etc etc. Plus MAME now emulates a CRT arcade monitor using high level shader language on your GPU.. and much much more that I don't remember.

It's very possible that triple buffering will work better for you in the latest version of mame as well.

S

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Alternantive to Triplebuffer new [Re: The Big Man]
#263791 - 09/03/11 03:37 AM

If it were me I would disable triplebuffer and run in windowed mode.

window 1
maximize 1
keepaspect 1
prescale 1
waitvsync 1
syncrefresh 0
menu 0

try those out.

z80
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/01/11
Send PM

Re: Alternantive to Triplebuffer new [Re: The Big Man]
#265452 - 10/01/11 06:02 PM

what version windows are you running?

and what directX you have? and CPU?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Programming
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Pi 
0 registered and 115 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3105