MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Yeay! Both houses agree on a pile of crap!
#261170 - 08/01/11 06:33 AM Attachment: attempting-to-give-a-damn.gif 4 KB (1 downloads)

Quote:

"Despite what some Republicans have argued, I believe that we have to ask the wealthiest Americans and biggest corporations to pay their fair share by giving up tax breaks and special deductions. Despite what some in my own party have argued, I believe that we need to make some modest adjustments to programs like Medicare to ensure that they're still around for future generations. That's why the second part of this agreement is so important," Obama said from the White House briefing room.

1. "pay their fair share" usually means paying more than the share paid by everyone else, which in itself isn't fair.

2. "I believe that we need to make some modest adjustments to programs like Medicare" which we did last year at the cost of 1 trillion dollars... fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

3. We spend more 1 trillion this year, and "immediately save" 1 trillion over 10 years... but we all know budgets change year to year, so the "immediate savings" can (and will) get erased next budget. Duh. Plus, assuming next year they don't just redo the budget (which IS an annual event) the deficit is 19 trillion, so saving 1 trillion every 10 years will only take 190 years to balance the deficit anyway.

4. Oh, and a pledge to "vote" on a balanced budget amendment... ok here's the "vote" we promised... nay. And the promise to vote on an additional 1.5 trillion in cuts... nay. Any other votes we promised to make in this deal? Didn't say "how" we'd vote, now did we. Just piss on us, that's how dumb they think we are.

5. Everyone gets re-elected, which was their goal... oh the country... yeah, almost forgot about that. We'll get to that... after the next election.

:kickthecan:

Boehner is a bonehead, Reid is a Harry nutsack, and Obama is Jimmy Carter's second term. They all had an opportunity to REALLY make real and substantial "Change" in the way things get done in Washington, but instead they accomplished nothing but the same old box of rhetoric that got us here in the first place.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by Gatinho (08/01/11 06:46 AM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Yeay! Both houses agree on a pile of crap! new [Re: GatKong]
#261173 - 08/01/11 06:56 AM

> "Despite what some Republicans have argued, I believe that we have to ask the
> wealthiest Americans and biggest corporations to pay their fair share by giving up
> tax breaks and special deductions. Despite what some in my own party have argued, I
> believe that we need to make some modest adjustments to programs like Medicare to
> ensure that they're still around for future generations. That's why the second part
> of this agreement is so important," Obama said from the White House briefing room.
>
> 1. "pay their fair share" usually means paying more than the share paid by everyone
> else, which in itself isn't fair.

I don't know what it means either, but if it means a flat tax, I'd like to hear your logic against it, and the deduction system is like spaghetti but the noodles are made from compressed shit. Tax breaks are often shit soup. Why should Nike and Amazon pay a smaller percentage when they have money to burn? Fuck em.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#261174 - 08/01/11 06:57 AM

This is all political theatre. It doesn't mean anything. Nothing is changed. Nothing will change.

The real cause of the all the debt is defense spending, and they're not touching it.

Last year, the US spent 687 billion on defense. That's more than the next TWENTY countries COMBINED...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

I think the real reason for the dog and pony show is to manipulate the stock market so that politicians can make a profit...

http://www.freakonomics.com/2011/05/25/politics-pays-evidence-of-insider-trading-among-congressmen/

http://steadfastfinances.com/blog/2009/0...or-politicians/

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arch...trading/239564/

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Yeay! Both houses agree on a pile of crap! new [Re: krick]
#261175 - 08/01/11 07:07 AM

> I think the real reason for the dog and pony show is to manipulate the stock market
> so that politicians can make a profit...

You can bet they and their cronies are taken care of! I say fuck them all. Get rid of every politician and call regular people in to run the country similar to how it is done for jury duty. Only you would serve for 2 years instead of a week. I'd rather have a single mother that has to make a certain amount of money last to feed her children, etc. making the calls. I think the average person would do a better job than the crooked fuckers that we have had for quite some time. All of the pork barrel shit would be eliminated. All of the big corporations buying politicians would be over. Etc, etc, etc.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: Yeay! Both houses agree on a pile of crap! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#261176 - 08/01/11 07:31 AM

> I don't know what it means either, but if it means a flat tax, I'd like to hear your logic against it, and the deduction system is like spaghetti but the noodles are made from compressed shit. Tax breaks are often shit soup. Why should Nike and Amazon pay a smaller percentage when they have money to burn? Fuck em.

I'm all for a flat tax... I'd line up to vote on taht all day long... do away with the tax codes and breaks and bullshit. You think Obama OR Boner is for a flat tax? Ron Paul maybe...

Hardly standing up for Nike and Amazon either. Corporations... buzz word for evil people who owe me money... but in reality is your plumber, your farmer, and your lawn guy. If a company is so big, its cheaper to buy politician votes to avoid the taxes than it is to actually pay the taxes... so lets not pretend this tax hike hits giant corps like Nike and Amazon. The reality is, the "inside" favorite corporations get special deals (GE alone avoids paying it's 3.2 billion dollar tax bill through "special" legislation so it actually paid zero... ZERO taxes)... so the only real targets of the higher taxes on "corporations" are the little guys... people like me and you when we try to start a company up working out of our garages and small rented office spaces... you know, Mom and Pop who incorporated.

Almost every small business is a corporation... they incorporate to protect the owner from all the damn liability when a little old lady succumbs to the laws of gravity and falls on their sidewalk and sues them for everything they got. That's who this tax hits... Mom&Pop inc. takes it up the ass sans vasoline because they gots no low friends in high places, and giant corps like GE laughs all the way to the Washington.

It's really a double tax... Mom and Pop turn a profit for a change... yay, they are successful. So they pay the profits to themselves in the form of earned income. Now the tax man comes. They charge the corporation (owned by Mom and Pop) taxes on the profits, then they tax Mom and Pop themselves on their earned income (which is the same profit money already taxed). So that same 1 dollar of profit... lets see, 30% for the corporation profit, then its paid to mom and pop, who also pay 30%... so that's 60% total for Uncle Sam... then comes the state tax man, and the county tax man, and the city tax man... ouch... running a donut shop all of a sudden got expensive as hell, better not hire that new helper we were thinking about.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#261177 - 08/01/11 07:42 AM

If this sort of thing happens after the changes go through (GE etc.) then OK but you're kinda calling it out before anything even goes into effect. I'm not saying anything will happen one way or the other but not predicting the future either and if they say a certain change is going to happen then we should wait and see if it does. Glad you're for a flat tax.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#261179 - 08/01/11 07:48 AM Attachment: dontwanttolive.jpg 70 KB (1 downloads)

> If this sort of thing happens after the changes go through (GE etc.) then OK but
> you're kinda calling it out before anything even goes into effect. I'm not saying
> anything will happen one way or the other but not predicting the future either and if
> they say a certain change is going to happen then we should wait and see if it does.
> Glad you're for a flat tax.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Yeay! Both houses agree on a pile of crap! new [Re: italie]
#261180 - 08/01/11 07:51 AM

That's nice.

Llaffer
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/04/11
Send PM

#261184 - 08/01/11 10:52 AM

Budget is supposed to be an annual event. The fact that it didn't happen one year in Obama's first half of his term resulted in an open checkbook which caused this mess.

I wasn't happy about the "compromise" either. I think I'd rather see what happens with the country unable to pay bills for a week to really get thier asses in gear, instead of this tax-raising-push-it-off-again attitude that they've taken.

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

Re: Yeay! Both houses agree on a pile of crap! new [Re: redk9258]
#261188 - 08/01/11 12:53 PM

> > I think the real reason for the dog and pony show is to manipulate the stock market
> > so that politicians can make a profit...
>
>
> You can bet they and their cronies are taken care of! I say fuck them all. Get rid of
> every politician and call regular people in to run the country similar to how it is
> done for jury duty. Only you would serve for 2 years instead of a week. I'd rather
> have a single mother that has to make a certain amount of money last to feed her
> children, etc. making the calls. I think the average person would do a better job
> than the crooked fuckers that we have had for quite some time. All of the pork barrel
> shit would be eliminated. All of the big corporations buying politicians would be
> over. Etc, etc, etc.

...and you'd be eaten alive by the Japanese...AGAIN!
Seriously, as liberal as I am, I think you've got to remember that you're competing on a global stage and should be just thinking domestically (as hard as it is for Americans to remember that there are other countries in the world - 'World Series' baseball and all that, whatever)

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Yeay! Both houses agree on a pile of crap! new [Re: Llaffer]
#261189 - 08/01/11 12:58 PM

> Budget is supposed to be an annual event. The fact that it didn't happen one year in
> Obama's first half of his term resulted in an open checkbook which caused this mess.

That just isn't true.

This mess was well predicted, even before Obama was a candidate. It is the culmination to years of neglect in the private sector, a war we couldn't afford, and the ongoing practice of letting government run in the red without consequence.

The stimulus packages that everyone points out would have happened no matter who was president. It might not have been exactly the same, but it would have happened anyway.

I'm not sure what the hell you are talking about with the budget being "skipped" one year. Please elaborate, even if only for my own morbid curiosity.

Llaffer
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/04/11
Send PM

Re: Yeay! Both houses agree on a pile of crap! new [Re: italie]
#261205 - 08/01/11 03:32 PM

Here are a few articles that I found about the 2011 Fiscal budget (or lack-thereof), which depending on the source tends to spin it in a "good" or "bad" way depending on the source's adjenda (yay for non-biased media!)

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/house-democrats-announce-no-budget-will-be-passed-in-2010/
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20008456-503544.html
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=37893

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Yeay! Both houses agree on a pile of crap! new [Re: krick]
#261212 - 08/01/11 04:43 PM

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

They spent about 800 billion on medicare/medicade then 700 ish on SS then another equal amount on defense spending. Cutting only defense spending will not fix the issue.

*all* three numbers are too big... Those 3 numbers do not include the 200 billion per year they spend on interest because of past borrowing. Also the debt will be 15-16 trillion next year that number will keep getting bigger. It will get bigger MUCH faster than people expect. Just eliminating the debt would free up as much as 200 billion per year. Which is 2 trillon over 10 years. What could we do with that extra money? Instead of giving it to banks?

Fact of the matter is they 'lowered' the spending by about 200 billion. Calling it '2 trillion (mumble mumble over 10 years mumble mumble)'. They are still short about by about 1.2 trillion. Even 100% removing defense spending they would still be short.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Yeay! Both houses agree on a pile of crap! new [Re: redk9258]
#261220 - 08/01/11 06:50 PM

> You can bet they and their cronies are taken care of! I say fuck them all. Get rid of
> every politician and call regular people in to run the country similar to how it is
> done for jury duty. Only you would serve for 2 years instead of a week. I'd rather
> have a single mother that has to make a certain amount of money last to feed her
> children, etc. making the calls. I think the average person would do a better job
> than the crooked fuckers that we have had for quite some time. All of the pork barrel
> shit would be eliminated. All of the big corporations buying politicians would be
> over. Etc, etc, etc.

It's a nice idea, but that would be a million times worse. Politicians hardly have a monopoly on greed. Imagine some minimum wage shlub thrust into that position for two years. Sure, some people would be honest and do the right thing, but plenty would take the opportunity to line their pockets as much as possible. Power corrupts.

Not to mention, the better politicians at least have some kind of understanding of what's going on. Imagine someone with a high school education or less trying to even comprehend global politics, let alone make intelligent policy decisions. I am college educated and consider myself reasonably smart, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do a very good job of it. It would be like a whole government full of Michelle Bachmann and worse.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

#261221 - 08/01/11 06:50 PM

> If this sort of thing happens after the changes go through (GE etc.)

You're WAY more optimisitic than me to even think there's a chance GE won't get a big break again next year.

Quote:

the Times reports, only 6.6% of Uncle Sam's tax revenue comes from corporations (down from 30% in the 1950s).

I was wrong about GE paying no taxes... it was worse.. they got 3.2 billion in tax "benefits"! We paid them! Their taxes should have been 4.26 Billion (30% x 14.2 Billion in profit for 2010 = 4.26 billion). Now , if they didn't get that "benefit" and instead PAID their taxes that itself would account for 7.4 billion in lost taxes. One company. How many other examples are there?

GE didn't pay any US taxes in 2010. In fact, it got a tax benefit of $3.2 billion.

Quote:

It's no coincidence that President Barack Obama installed GE's chief executive as the head of his new Council on Jobs and Competitiveness. One key subject the council is expected to address is taxes.

Cronyism. Corruption. Only the government can get away with this kind of crime. But you're right, next year might be different.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#261224 - 08/01/11 07:01 PM

I'm trying to make an effort to be less cynical in general but every time someone in the government does anything at all people here claim bullshit and conspiracy. They could literally say anything in the world and nothing would satisfy people, they cried wolf too many times in the past or whatever.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

#261225 - 08/01/11 07:07 PM

Quote:

(yay for non-biased media!)

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/house-democrats-announce-no-budget-will-be-passed-in-2010/
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20008456-503544.html
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=37893

1 out of 3 ain't bad.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#261232 - 08/01/11 09:54 PM

> Here are a few articles that I found about the 2011 Fiscal budget (or lack-thereof),
> which depending on the source tends to spin it in a "good" or "bad" way depending on
> the source's adjenda (yay for non-biased media!)
>
> http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/house-democrats-announce-no-budget-will-be-passed-in-2010/
> http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20008456-503544.html
> http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=37893

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy10/browse.html

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 107 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1997