MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

now that we've had 20 years to think about it, which NES game holds up the best?
#260918 - 07/27/11 10:12 PM

also, with everybody having an NES full set of roms for over 10 years now, it should be interesting to see what everybody thinks about which NES cart is still magic. maybe nostalgia factors in, but which game do you think still stands on its own?

my vote - mike tyson's punch-out. it's still a goddamn joy to just sit for 1 session and see how far you can go. everything's still nice and responsive, and the personality hasn't diminished at all. even though i was far more psyched about other games during the NES era, when i'm skimming over the rom list for what to load during a lull, i load this bastard more often than not. also, i didn't own this game, i had rented and borrowed it a couple of times until i beat it.

i learned everything i know from KC

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: now that we've had 20 years to think about it, which NES game holds up the best? new [Re: jopezu]
#260919 - 07/27/11 10:22 PM

> also, with everybody having an NES full set of roms for over 10 years now, it should
> be interesting to see what everybody thinks about which NES cart is still magic.
> maybe nostalgia factors in, but which game do you think still stands on its own?
>
>
> my vote - mike tyson's punch-out. it's still a goddamn joy to just sit for 1 session
> and see how far you can go. everything's still nice and responsive, and the
> personality hasn't diminished at all. even though i was far more psyched about other
> games during the NES era, when i'm skimming over the rom list for what to load during
> a lull, i load this bastard more often than not. also, i didn't own this game, i had
> rented and borrowed it a couple of times until i beat it.

Punch-Out - Totally agree
SMB 3 - Still the best Mario ever
Gradius - My favorite shooter
Contra - Never gets old
Exitebike - First game I bought for the NES; still holds up (and got the 3DS version)
Legend of Zelda - Fun to play for a few hours to beat the game again.

Pretty much, my favorites back then are still my favorites today. Funny enough, was just playing Punch Out last night. (For fun Trivia, grab Stargate (J) for NES, play through at least one level, and let me know if you recognize anything )

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: now that we've had 20 years to think about it, which NES game holds up the best? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#260920 - 07/27/11 10:26 PM

I agree with most of those though I doubt I'd play the NES Gradius if I could play the arcade one and I haven't felt the urge for some Zelda since the 80's. All the Marios were pretty good and timeless and Micromachines is still fun for a while.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: now that we've had 20 years to think about it, which NES game holds up the best? new [Re: jopezu]
#260929 - 07/28/11 02:09 AM

> also, with everybody having an NES full set of roms for over 10 years now, it should
> be interesting to see what everybody thinks about which NES cart is still magic.
> maybe nostalgia factors in, but which game do you think still stands on its own?
>
>
> my vote - mike tyson's punch-out. it's still a goddamn joy to just sit for 1 session
> and see how far you can go. everything's still nice and responsive, and the
> personality hasn't diminished at all. even though i was far more psyched about other
> games during the NES era, when i'm skimming over the rom list for what to load during
> a lull, i load this bastard more often than not. also, i didn't own this game, i had
> rented and borrowed it a couple of times until i beat it.

Metroid
Punch-Out (Even though I never beat Tyson)
Contra
RC ProAM
Exitebike
Legend of Zelda
Any MegaMan
Rygar
Dusty Diamonds Allstar Softball
Bionic Commando
Stryder
T&C surf (I have NO clue why)

I find myself popping open Handy more often lately to play Lynx games. Their version of California Games was the best. Pinball Jam was pretty addicting too.

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Bible Adventures new [Re: jopezu]
#260931 - 07/28/11 02:57 AM

Okay, okay... SMB3.

Yes, I am a generic consumer-type person. *sobs*

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Bible Adventures new [Re: aavada]
#260935 - 07/28/11 03:59 AM

> Okay, okay... SMB3.
>
> Yes, I am a generic consumer-type person. *sobs*

Well, no. Bible Adventures is just as good now as it was then, so the subject is pretty much right.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#260936 - 07/28/11 04:44 AM

I'd have to say Super Mario Bros. I know pretty much every nook and cranny of that game by heart, and yet it's still fun to play. The later games had bigger levels, better graphics, and new gameplay mechanics, but to me nothing matches the charm of the original.

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

#260982 - 07/28/11 05:12 PM

> which game do you think still stands on its own?

I always come back to Wrecking Crew
Deep comprehensive thinking!

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: now that we've had 20 years to think about it, which NES game holds up the best? new [Re: yaggy]
#260994 - 07/28/11 08:25 PM

> I always come back to Wrecking Crew
> Deep comprehensive thinking!

I liked this game a lot back in the day, but I find it gets boring rather quickly when I play it now. I suspect this reflects more on how the Internet has ruined my attention span than on the game itself.

Oooh, shiny...

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#260996 - 07/28/11 11:23 PM

> "which NES game holds up the best"

Knight Rider.

Holding Up to accelerate really hurt my thumbs.

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

#260998 - 07/29/11 12:27 AM

Nothing and I mean NOTHING compares to the orginal Super Mario Bros.

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 135 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1258