Pages: 1

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Michigan, USA
Send PM

Help getting kungfum to scroll smoothly
#260428 - 07/21/11 02:45 PM

Can anybody suggest what combination of parameters I can try, to get kungfum to run less choppy?

Last night I played with vsync, waitvsync, tripplebuffer, syncrefresh, refreshspeed, speed and maybe others but the result was largely the same everytime, except for screen tearing showing up when turning off tripple buffer.

I thought syncrefresh would speed up the game to the 60Hz refresh rate of the monitor but that did not happen. I was hoping that would make the game scroll smoothly.

asasega
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/08/09
Send PM

Re: Help getting kungfum to scroll smoothly new [Re: "The Manuel"]
#260437 - 07/21/11 05:34 PM

mamexx.exe -switchres -r 640x480 -nothrottle -waitvsync kungfum

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

Re: Help getting kungfum to scroll smoothly new [Re: asasega]
#260439 - 07/21/11 05:51 PM

> mamexx.exe -switchres -r 640x480 -nothrottle -waitvsync kungfum

I think I tried that last night and the game ran extremely fast, which makes me wonder if vsync is really taking on my system.

Why switchres, though?

asasega
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/08/09
Send PM

#260524 - 07/22/11 04:57 PM

leave out then the switchres, let mame choose the resolution
i use a CRT
do not use the -mt option (multithreading)
i have to use these options in order to achieve perfect tear and jerky free scrolling in games
maybe it is not the same on all the PCs
i do not know, sorry that the setting it is not workink for you

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

Re: Help getting kungfum to scroll smoothly new [Re: asasega]
#260526 - 07/22/11 05:18 PM

> leave out then the switchres, let mame choose the resolution
> i use a CRT
> do not use the -mt option (multithreading)
> i have to use these options in order to achieve perfect tear and jerky free scrolling
> in games
> maybe it is not the same on all the PCs
> i do not know, sorry that the setting it is not workink for you

Thanks a lot. It was the -mt option that was preventing me to sync to the display's refresh rate. However, the jerkiness, although much improved, is not totally gone and the sound stutters a bit as it tries to keep up with the video. I guess I'll have pick my poison...

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

#260719 - 07/25/11 03:36 PM

> However, the jerkiness, although much improved, is not totally gone and
> the sound stutters a bit as it tries to keep up with the video. I guess I'll have
> pick my poison...

Inevitably, emulation will have to compensate for the synchronization mismatch and this is where you probably want auto frame skip enabled. This will allow it to catchup and you most likely won't even notice the frame drop.

I was on the same mission as you (with arcade monitor setup) and wanted my vertical shoot-em-ups (Raiden, Twin Cobra, etc) to scroll smoothly with no tearing and no audio hiccups. It was clearly not a CPU problem. Then I read more about syncing to monitor refresh and triple buffer. Eventually, emulation would be a half-beat ahead of the screen drawing process and that's when you'd hear an audio stutter, as emulation was, in a sense, catching up on the gap. (this is how I understand it to be, anyway)

With AFS turned on, the trade off is a dropped frame here and there but honestly, my finicky eye cannot discern this, and I'm a stickler in this area. Finally, I felt like I was playing the actual arcade game for the first time in forever. Hope this helps.

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

Re: Help getting kungfum to scroll smoothly new [Re: yaggy]
#260720 - 07/25/11 03:44 PM

> Inevitably, emulation will have to compensate for the synchronization mismatch and
> this is where you probably want auto frame skip enabled. This will allow it to
> catchup and you most likely won't even notice the frame drop.
>
> I was on the same mission as you (with arcade monitor setup) and wanted my vertical
> shoot-em-ups (Raiden, Twin Cobra, etc) to scroll smoothly with no tearing and no
> audio hiccups. It was clearly not a CPU problem. Then I read more about syncing to
> monitor refresh and triple buffer. Eventually, emulation would be a half-beat ahead
> of the screen drawing process and that's when you'd hear an audio stutter, as
> emulation was, in a sense, catching up on the gap. (this is how I understand it to
> be, anyway)
>
> With AFS turned on, the trade off is a dropped frame here and there but honestly, my
> finicky eye cannot discern this, and I'm a stickler in this area. Finally, I felt
> like I was playing the actual arcade game for the first time in forever. Hope this
> helps.

Thanks a lot for that insight. Frame skipping did not even cross my mind, as I have not used it in years since I switched from a PIII-based Celeron system to a more powerful one. Frameskipping makes perfect sense in this scenario and I'm eager to try it when I get home tonight.
I'm hopeful again.

By the way, what other features did you use in conjunction with frameskipping, vsync or tribplebuffer? Did you mess around with refreshspeed or any of that? If it's easier, perhaps you could post your ini file when you have time?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 217 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1975