MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

klufs2004
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/27/11
Send PM

North Coast Arcades and the MAME license agreement?
#258469 - 06/27/11 06:55 AM

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at North Coast Custom Arcades recently and whilst their products are impressive I was wondering how is it legal? The website shows that they use MAME on the arcade cabinets (amongst other software) but I thought the MAME license agreement didnt allow commercial use? WHat do you guys think?

http://www.mameroom.com/home.asp

Edited by klufs2004 (06/27/11 06:56 AM)

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: North Coast Arcades and the MAME license agreement? new [Re: klufs2004]
#258473 - 06/27/11 07:56 AM

They are just showing off one thing you can do with the cab, but it doesn't ship with any software AFAIK and they aren't suggesting to stick it in a public place to make money.

You simply buy it for your home and enjoy an Arcade experience with a quality made cab.

I myself am pondering at slapping 5K at one of those instead of trying to build my own.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: North Coast Arcades and the MAME license agreement? new [Re: klufs2004]
#258487 - 06/27/11 03:14 PM

> I've been looking at North Coast Custom Arcades recently and whilst their products
> are impressive I was wondering how is it legal? The website shows that they use MAME
> on the arcade cabinets (amongst other software) but I thought the MAME license
> agreement didnt allow commercial use? WHat do you guys think?

Personally, those guys grate a bit. They used to DBA "MAMERoom" while claiming they came up with the name before emulators existed in order to dodge the MAME trademark requirements. And I *really* don't like that they offer working coin slots on the machines.

They seem to make decent quality stuff for all that though.

(Again, this is my personal opinion, the project doesn't have an official position on this sort of thing).

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: North Coast Arcades and the MAME license agreement? new [Re: B2K24]
#258562 - 06/28/11 01:22 PM

> They are just showing off one thing you can do with the cab, but it doesn't ship with
> any software AFAIK and they aren't suggesting to stick it in a public place to make
> money.
>
> You simply buy it for your home and enjoy an Arcade experience with a quality made
> cab.
>
> I myself am pondering at slapping 5K at one of those instead of trying to build my
> own.

Well. If you got the cash, I guess do that. But you could build your own for two grand, max (monitor, PC, everything), and that's with buying a few tools.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 170 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2033