Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Dear makers of Corn King bacon,
#258310 - 06/25/11 02:52 PM

I'm not a professional chef, but I have cooked my share of bacon. I've had great bacon, and I've had shitty bacon. Even shitty bacon is usually pretty good, which brings me to the point of writing this. Your "bacon", if you can even call it that, is "inedible" shitty. I shall elaborate.

First, kudos on that little "take a look at a sample slice through a cardboard flap" thing. It's how I managed to buy your pork based tripe. The tiny section of "bacon" you see ~looks~ safe enough. Marketing at its finest.

Now, where do I begin. I guess I'll start with another kudos, on figuring out a way to make "bacon" look sliced, even though it isn't. I don't know how you manage to slice only a 1" perimeter around your bacon, but that is some fancy machine work right there. Heck, maybe you aren't really slicing at all. Maybe you are just forming that crisco-like fat substance in place. BTW, is that stuff supposed to be bacon fat? That oreo filling really doesn't cook the same as bacon fat if you haven't attempted cooking a sample slice yet.

While were are on the topic of what your product is actually made from, what part of the pig are you using in your "bacon"? Are you using pig? I'll assume you are, but good lord I haven't seen such fat pulled from a pig since...well ever...and I've cooked a few whole pigs. Maybe your farmers should feed the pigs less sweets.

The parts of your "bacon" that was actually meat tended to clump together due to your interesting cutting methods. The "bacon" that was edible (about 3% of it) tasted like rabbit. A little gamey, compact, yet not tough. Interesting, but definitely not bacon. Just a thought, is your "bacon" a corn or soybean based vegan food? It's still shitty for vegan bacon, but it might explain my bewilderment.

The most interesting part of your "bacon", however, was something I've never seen in all my years of cooking. The middle "meat" and crisco-like substance in your "bacon" never brown. Instead, the very edge of your bacon seems to absorb all of the heat. That edge turns to solid rock. No exaggeration here, it turns to fucking rock. The remainder stays fairly raw. Raw and gooey. Maybe you have devised some advanced molecular gastronomy to achieve this. All I know is that a lot of companies would pay good money to understand that process. Fire departments could coat the firemen's suit with your bacon to re-direct heat from a house fire.

Whatever it is that you are making, please stop making it. I've had the taste and texture stuck in my brain like a scene from a horror movie. I might need therapy to get over the aversion I now have to bacon. At the very least, please stop marketing it as bacon. "Bacon shaped rabbit", "Designer crisco", or even "Fire retardent" would be good possibilities. Whatever you do, don't call it bacon.

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

C'mon, it can't be THAT bad. new [Re: italie]
#258315 - 06/25/11 04:18 PM Attachment: abomination.png 10 KB (1 downloads)

Oh.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

ok wait a minute, you bought bacon made by *CORN KING*??? new [Re: italie]
#258318 - 06/25/11 06:04 PM

can't say i sympathize with your displeasure...

i learned everything i know from KC

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Dear makers of Corn King bacon, new [Re: italie]
#258319 - 06/25/11 06:27 PM

I still don't understand you Yankees and your bacon-buying habits. Here we buy bacon from the delicatessen. We see the rashers sitting on display, say how many we want, and they put them in a bag, weigh it, and wrap it in butchers' paper for us. If one doesn't like the look of one rasher, it's as simple as saying, "Put that one back." Is it really normal in Chicago to buy pre-packaged bacon? It just seems so wrong.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Dear makers of Corn King bacon, new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#258321 - 06/25/11 07:03 PM

We have our choice here, you could buy it from the deli section too or a butcher shop but butcher shops are far less common than grocery stores and people want to get all their food shopping done at the same place (generally). Delis will probably only have their brand of bacon, like Kroger has their Private Selection brand and then you might have one other option like Boar's Head. They aren't going to carry anything else, just high end. In another section of the store you can get pre-packaged brands like this Corn King shite. If it wasn't set up this way then those other brands would have nowhere to sell their goods.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Dear makers of Corn King bacon, new [Re: Smitdogg]
#258325 - 06/25/11 07:51 PM

> We have our choice here, you could buy it from the deli section too or a butcher shop
> but butcher shops are far less common than grocery stores and people want to get all
> their food shopping done at the same place (generally). Delis will probably only have
> their brand of bacon, like Kroger has their Private Selection brand and then you
> might have one other option like Boar's Head. They aren't going to carry anything
> else, just high end. In another section of the store you can get pre-packaged brands
> like this Corn King shite. If it wasn't set up this way then those other brands would
> have nowhere to sell their goods.

Been busy lately, deli counter isn't open at the times I've been able to go shopping. This was literally the only brand left. Won't be a mistake I make again.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#258326 - 06/25/11 07:56 PM

That stuff sounds really shitty but there's plenty of good bacon to be had away from the deli. The Kroger/QFC deli has great stuff but it's pricey. The Private Selection stuff is pretty damn good in my experience. Their roast beef, if it's pink (not overcooked) the stuff is crazy delicious and their Swiss is some of the best I've ever had.

Anyway, Australia sucks. USA. USA. USA.

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

#258328 - 06/25/11 08:42 PM

> That stuff sounds really shitty but there's plenty of good bacon to be had away from
> the deli. The Kroger/QFC deli has great stuff but it's pricey. The Private Selection
> stuff is pretty damn good in my experience. Their roast beef, if it's pink (not
> overcooked) the stuff is crazy delicious and their Swiss is some of the best I've
> ever had.
>
> Anyway, Australia sucks. USA. USA. USA.

Buying Bacon either from the deli counter in a supermarket or pre-packed and branded in the chiller section of the supermarket are both normal ways to purchase bacon here too

That there is one of the classier brands: Danepak Danish Bacon - it's yummy too!
DENMARK, DENMARK!
We all love Peter Schmickel - Yeah!

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

#258342 - 06/26/11 02:24 AM

> That stuff sounds really shitty but there's plenty of good bacon to be had away from
> the deli. The Kroger/QFC deli has great stuff but it's pricey. The Private Selection
> stuff is pretty damn good in my experience. Their roast beef, if it's pink (not
> overcooked) the stuff is crazy delicious and their Swiss is some of the best I've
> ever had.
>
> Anyway, Australia sucks. USA. USA. USA.

You should not (generally) save money on food. Especially in a country that produces nearly everything from cheap subsidized genetically engineered corn. Probably even bacon.
Fresh Market/Whole Foods ftw.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Dear makers of Corn King bacon, new [Re: Fever]
#258347 - 06/26/11 03:34 AM

> That there is one of the classier brands: Danepak Danish Bacon - it's yummy too!
> DENMARK, DENMARK!
> We all love Peter Schmickel - Yeah!

Wow, that stuff looks way yummier than the corn king....

(Best approximation I could find. Teh "king" was ten times worse.)

Jdurgi
Regular
Loc: NEW England, CT
Send PM

#258348 - 06/26/11 03:51 AM

> > That there is one of the classier brands: Danepak Danish Bacon - it's yummy too!
> > DENMARK, DENMARK!
> > We all love Peter Schmickel - Yeah!
>
>
> Wow, that stuff looks way yummier than the corn king....
>
>
> (Best approximation I could find. Teh "king" was ten times worse.)

I have never heard of that brand, but I will now avoid it like herpes. Once you've had it, you can never forget ever again.

Thanks for the heads up!

--------------------------------------------------
I am just a worthless liar.
I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

My bacon has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R... new [Re: italie]
#258349 - 06/26/11 03:59 AM

...my bacon has a second name, it's M-A-Y-E-R.

I love to eat it every day
In breakfast burritos; now I'll saaaaaay

No other bacon shall I eat
'cept good 'ol Oscar's; it's a treat

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Jdurgi
Regular
Loc: NEW England, CT
Send PM

Re: My bacon has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R... new [Re: Mr. Do]
#258351 - 06/26/11 04:13 AM

> ...my bacon has a second name, it's M-A-Y-E-R.
>
> I love to eat it every day
> In breakfast burritos; now I'll saaaaaay
>
> No other bacon shall I eat
> 'cept good 'ol Oscar's; it's a treat

I've grown quite fond of the ready-to-eat bacon in the boxes. Simply because it's easy to incorporate into any meal, even microwaved Jimmy Dean Sausage Biscuit sandwiches. The thick cut stuff works the best.

Still, when I have money and time to see the butcher, I have the butcher cut me some good thick bacon strips. Mmmmm.........

My local bar makes a BLT with Jalapeno encrusted thick-cut bacon, and chipotle mayo. This stuff tastes awesome, but REALLY hurts when it says goodbye.

--------------------------------------------------
I am just a worthless liar.
I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

#258482 - 06/27/11 01:29 PM

Yesterday, I wondered to myself whether the paper thin, translucent "bacon" at the Holiday Inn Express
was actually a food product. At least I was qualified to perform rocket surgery after staying there for a night.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

*Where* are you sho-pping? (nt) new [Re: italie]
#258488 - 06/27/11 03:42 PM

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 181 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1838