MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

JWallace
Steamrollered by cool things, and likes it that way
Reged: 09/22/03
Send PM

SCREEN_RAW_PARAMS and dynamic changes
#258220 - 06/24/11 03:58 PM

So I'm looking into a fairly complicated CRTC chip (The Signetics SCN2674), and it looks like it can configure the sizes of the offscreen areas and visible areas pretty much at will - with at least one game exploiting that for raster timing.

I know it's the case that there's a call that lets visible area be changed within the driver, because PSX.c uses it, but what about the raw parameters - all I see in screen.c is the static versions for init time?

http://agemame.mameworld.info

AGEMAME HQ - was once a thing, now isn't really.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: SCREEN_RAW_PARAMS and dynamic changes new [Re: JWallace]
#258222 - 06/24/11 04:15 PM

> So I'm looking into a fairly complicated CRTC chip (The Signetics SCN2674), and it
> looks like it can configure the sizes of the offscreen areas and visible areas pretty
> much at will - with at least one game exploiting that for raster timing.
>
> I know it's the case that there's a call that lets visible area be changed within the
> driver, because PSX.c uses it, but what about the raw parameters - all I see in
> screen.c is the static versions for init time?

You can definitely change the screen parameters dynamically; look at the CRTC6845 emulation, for instance.

JWallace
Steamrollered by cool things, and likes it that way
Reged: 09/22/03
Send PM

Re: SCREEN_RAW_PARAMS and dynamic changes new [Re: R. Belmont]
#258313 - 06/25/11 03:25 PM

OK, thanks - I'm just putting off writing a modern device I guess - although MESS may want this chip eventually, as it appears to be part of a Motorola family of terminal device hardware.

http://agemame.mameworld.info

AGEMAME HQ - was once a thing, now isn't really.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 268 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1362