View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TknoMncr
Lurker
Reged: 09/22/03
Send PM

CHD Query
#257866 - 06/20/11 12:02 AM

Are all CHD titles atm, simply images of the drive and revisions are found via the ROMS themselves... or is it solely on the HDD? I ask as a friend now has apparently a version 1.3 hdd and version 1.4 hdd for Rush2049... and doesn't know how it's possible since he never toyed with the roms... just put in the new hdd he ordered.

TknoMncr

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

Re: CHD Query new [Re: TknoMncr]
#257867 - 06/20/11 12:12 AM

Depends on the particular platform. Killer Instinct had its game program in a ROM chip, with only graphics on the drive. Most of the newer Midway/Atari games on Seattle/Vegas/etc hardware had the game program on the drive itself, and the ROM on the board is just a BIOS/Boot ROM.

TknoMncr
Lurker
Send PM

Re: CHD Query new [Re: Reznor007]
#257869 - 06/20/11 12:32 AM

> Depends on the particular platform. Killer Instinct had its game program in a ROM
> chip, with only graphics on the drive. Most of the newer Midway/Atari games on
> Seattle/Vegas/etc hardware had the game program on the drive itself, and the ROM on
> the board is just a BIOS/Boot ROM.

Well the thing is, both his drives showed 1.3 and when he got the newer one and popped it in, it said 1.4 and apparently had a picture of the dev team [iirc], so this is why I was inquiring.

I mean if it's on the HDD itself, then will this mean that ever rev need be hunted down for accuracy... and if not.. then how the heck did this occur?

TknoMncr

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

#257870 - 06/20/11 12:45 AM

It was probably a mislabeled drive. But yeah, to get all the different revisions for those, all the drives will have to be dumped.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#257871 - 06/20/11 12:59 AM Attachment: kinst2.png 4 KB (0 downloads)

> Well the thing is, both his drives showed 1.3 and when he got the newer one and
> popped it in, it said 1.4 and apparently had a picture of the dev team [iirc], so
> this is why I was inquiring.
>
> I mean if it's on the HDD itself, then will this mean that ever rev need be hunted
> down for accuracy... and if not.. then how the heck did this occur?
>
>
> TknoMncr

Revisions can be stored as ROMs and CHDs. Take for example Killer Instinct 2, notice how revisions are listed for ROM and disk respectively. Currently MAME supports only one Killer Instinct 2 disk version, but that doesn't mean it's the only one. Your friend apparently got an upgraded 1.3 disk which got updated to 1.4 at an uncertain time.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#257953 - 06/20/11 09:01 PM

> Are all CHD titles atm, simply images of the drive and revisions are found via the
> ROMS themselves... or is it solely on the HDD? I ask as a friend now has apparently a
> version 1.3 hdd and version 1.4 hdd for Rush2049... and doesn't know how it's
> possible since he never toyed with the roms... just put in the new hdd he ordered.

As has been noted, it depends on the game. Some games have multiple versions of either the CHDs or the ROMs, some have multiple versions of both. If your friend genuinely has 2 different versions of Rush2049 we'd certainly appreciate a dump of whichever version we don't already have.

TknoMncr
Lurker
Send PM

Re: CHD Query new [Re: R. Belmont]
#258061 - 06/22/11 02:29 AM

> > Are all CHD titles atm, simply images of the drive and revisions are found via the
> > ROMS themselves... or is it solely on the HDD? I ask as a friend now has apparently
> a
> > version 1.3 hdd and version 1.4 hdd for Rush2049... and doesn't know how it's
> > possible since he never toyed with the roms... just put in the new hdd he ordered.
>
> As has been noted, it depends on the game. Some games have multiple versions of
> either the CHDs or the ROMs, some have multiple versions of both. If your friend
> genuinely has 2 different versions of Rush2049 we'd certainly appreciate a dump of
> whichever version we don't already have.

I will see what can be done... now it's a matter of finding out which hdd is which. ^^;; I wish I knew this for Road Burners so I coulda cloned that HDD before it died. x.x;;

Too bad Rush 2049 doesn't work in MAME yet enough to find it out that way.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 350 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1800