MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

zeedre
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/15/11
Send PM

mame hangs while trying to access configure general inputs?
#257435 - 06/15/11 05:42 AM

Hi guys,

I'm having a problem while trying run mame.(ubuntu, celeron cpu, sdlmame) Basically, it tries to run if I point it at a game but then crashes tryign to find various files which it lists out.

I found a post where someone had a similar problem but then used the configuration menu to get it to work. Trying to replicate this.

So, I type in mame in the command line and get a screen with all my games and an option to configure general inputs. However it freezes almost instantly here. I can't get out of this screen and have to power down the computer.

Anybody got any ideas what I can try?

Some history - I had xmame running for a bit then I upgraded and it stopped working. I then switched to sdlmame via the repository. So, my roms are ok I think.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: mame hangs while trying to access configure general inputs? new [Re: zeedre]
#257436 - 06/15/11 05:46 AM

Delete default.cfg? Sounds like it may be corrupt and MAME is choking on it.

S

zeedre
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: mame hangs while trying to access configure general inputs? new [Re: Sune]
#257642 - 06/17/11 05:15 AM

Hi Sune,
Thanks for responding and apologies for getting back to this so slowly.

I renamed the config file in ~/.mame and command lined mame again and it behaved the same way.

Any other thoughts? Could this be a problem with the actual computer being too slow? p800 celeron is pretty wimpy.

Andre

Sune
Connected
Send PM

Re: mame hangs while trying to access configure general inputs? new [Re: zeedre]
#257646 - 06/17/11 06:10 AM

> I renamed the config file in ~/.mame and command lined mame again and it behaved the
> same way.

default.cfg is in the cfg folder, try deleting that. The main mame.ini does not store input settings.

S

zeedre
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: mame hangs while trying to access configure general inputs? new [Re: Sune]
#257681 - 06/17/11 06:46 PM

Hi Sune,
Yes, sometimes reality changes in my head.

That's the one. I actually renamed it. It did not seem to have replaced it tho. It contains a bit of xml that seems well formed so I'm not sure if that's the issue.

So, I have the issue of not being able to access configuration directly thru the mame interface but it would seem I should be able to play a game otherwise. However all the games that worked fine in xmame won't play because of one set of missing files or another. Any idea why xmame would be more tolerant? Is there a setting to get it to ignore missing files that I have'nt discovered?

Sune
Connected
Send PM

#257887 - 06/20/11 06:03 AM

> all the games that worked fine in xmame won't play because of one set of missing files or
> another. Any idea why xmame would be more tolerant? Is there a setting to get it to
> ignore missing files that I have'nt discovered?

Time to read the FAQ.

"Missing files" are from the game ROMs, it doesn't have anything to do with MAME itself. If your ROMs work on xmame but not on Windows it's because one is 767u1 and the other is 130597u75. Either use the same version as you were using on Linux, or update your ROMs.

S

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#257912 - 06/20/11 02:40 PM

> Hi Sune,
> Thanks for responding and apologies for getting back to this so slowly.
>
> I renamed the config file in ~/.mame and command lined mame again and it behaved the
> same way.
>
> Any other thoughts? Could this be a problem with the actual computer being too slow?
> p800 celeron is pretty wimpy.

You'll definitely find that games run pretty slowly on that system, but it won't cause an actual freeze. Could you run with -verbose and post the log?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 168 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1997