MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jasd
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/15/10
Send PM

Does someone know what's wrong with Mamedev?
#257095 - 06/12/11 03:49 AM

if someone has ever read H*z* post article,you think he's point is right or other dev's point right?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Does someone know what's wrong with Mamedev? new [Re: jasd]
#257096 - 06/12/11 04:11 AM

Although it isn't written directly in the board rules, we generally require posters to have some sort of clue. Your first one should have been triggered when you realized posting his name here is blocked by the board software yet you still went ahead and posted about his blog post, knowing twisty and everyone else who is civil doesn't want it here. Your second clue would have been to post your reply on his blog instead of here since he allows comments and it's actually on topic there.

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

Re: Does someone know what's wrong with Mamedev? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#257110 - 06/12/11 11:41 AM

> Although it isn't written directly in the board rules, we generally require posters
> to have some sort of clue. Your first one should have been triggered when you
> realized posting his name here is blocked by the board software yet you still went
> ahead and posted about his blog post, knowing twisty and everyone else who is civil
> doesn't want it here. Your second clue would have been to post your reply on his blog
> instead of here since he allows comments and it's actually on topic there.

Being childish and trying to suppress debate about the obvious problems going on internally with the MAME project, wont make them go away....

Just saying...

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: Does someone know what's wrong with Mamedev? new [Re: Ziggy100]
#257111 - 06/12/11 12:01 PM

Debate does no good if you have no say in the project. Literally the only people who can debate this is MAMEDEV itself-- to be blunt, what you and I say has NO bearing on the project.

It only serves to inflame the situation further to "debate" it here pointlessly.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

FatTrucker
Randomly pressing buttons in hope of success.
Reged: 01/31/06
Loc: London UK
Send PM

#257112 - 06/12/11 12:04 PM

Being childish and trying to suppress debate about the obvious problems going on
> internally with the MAME project, wont make them go away....
>
> Just saying...

Time and a place though isn't there. I have no interest either way but I've been using the boards for a few years and any threads on the subject hardly qualify as 'debate' since they all degenrate quickly into trolling and argument. Just more work to moderate with no practical benefit in actually resolving anything so what's the point.

Issues within Mamedev will need to be resolved within Mamedev, its really nothing to do with all the end users.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Does someone know what's wrong with Mamedev? new [Re: Firehawke]
#257117 - 06/12/11 01:38 PM

> Debate does no good if you have no say in the project. Literally the only people who
> can debate this is MAMEDEV itself-- to be blunt, what you and I say has NO bearing on
> the project.
>
> It only serves to inflame the situation further to "debate" it here pointlessly.

So the discussion about MameDevs on a message board where MameDevs discuss Mame and Mame Development is not an arena to discuss issues brought by a MameDev and a former Mame Project Leader? And the most successful MameDev/Project Leader to boot.

Sounds like censorship in the extreme sense or the MameDev in question is getting very accurate.

If it wasn't for this MameDev, Mame would not be where it is now IMHO.

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Send PM

Re: Does someone know what's wrong with Mamedev? new [Re: ]
#257119 - 06/12/11 02:00 PM

> So the discussion about MameDevs on a message board where MameDevs discuss Mame and
> Mame Development is not an arena to discuss issues brought by a MameDev and a former
> Mame Project Leader?

Not really. MW exists for the benefit of the MAME community. Internal politics of the developers is better suited to be discussed in private.

Some people (thankfully not many) seem to have this bizarre notion that MW is somehow obligated to advance MAME's development - no such obligation exists nor is it implied in the mission statement of the site. At its core, MW is primarily a fan site. That isn't to say that we won't offer to help out the project in any way we reasonably can - but this isn't an official MAMEdev site so let's keep that in mind.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#257120 - 06/12/11 02:04 PM

There are no internal problems other than the fact that people are working on mess more now since there's still easy stuff and that isn't going to change. It's a bunch of made up bullshit. He isn't internal so what would he know. Other mamedevs say when he says people are arguing there, it's basically about 1/10 as big of a situation as he makes it out to be, if that. That is of course unless Haywood is involved, in which case people actually get pissed off because he won't stop until they do as he is mentally ill. The word is that the only time anyone has ever seen Nicola lose his cool is from Haywood pulling this shit, not long before the last time he got kicked off the list for doing this shit there. Do you see a pattern?

Everybody else just works on a driver and submits their changes, or blogs about it with the blog entry pertaining to programming or whatever. But not Haywood. Nope, he can't even add a game to MAME anymore without smearing shit all over it. You want to talk childish, how about refusing to add a game to the source everybody else uses and saying he'll submit it only after some merger he wants happens, how about getting kicked off more message boards and mailing lists than anyone else on the internet. Yeah, it's everybody else's fault, right? Wake up.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#257150 - 06/12/11 11:41 PM

> And the most successful MameDev/Project Leader to boot.

Aaron is the most successful.

> Sounds like censorship in the extreme sense or the MameDev in question is getting
> very accurate.

Or we don't think it's worth airing peoples personal issues in public.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#257175 - 06/13/11 04:24 AM

To put things bluntly, the current rate of progress is the new normal. Let me explain why for a few large reasons.

First off, MAME has emulated nearly every game that anyone currently alive is going to be nostalgic about, and what's left is mostly cookie-cutter 3D fighters, racers, and shooters of the sort that Yahtzee gleefully eviscerates every Wednesday. There are folks active on this board who claim all the games that matter were emulated by 0.37b5. I don't happen to share that opinion, but at the same time any unemulated games I do work on now it's more for the intellectual stimulation of the process than because I give a shit about the game.

Secondly, all those guys you saw in the credits every 2 weeks in 2004 are now 35+ and have wives/husbands and kids. And for whatever reasons the younger generation (under 25) isn't as into computer programming in general. (They *are* into music production, which has been great for OCRemix and similar projects). This isn't MAME or emulation-specific either. I've seen discussions for a variety of F/OSS projects wondering why there's little or no new talent. Most of those projects compensated by getting corporate backing and therefore being able to make programming Linux or GCC or WebKit your actual "day job" that can support your kids rather than taking time away from them. For a variety of reasons I don't think that model could work for MAME.

Even within emulation you'll notice that for instance ElSemi isn't exactly cranking things out like he used to, and in fact new non-MAME emulators are hard to come by. Supermodel was the last major launch, and it's already run into its own conflicts with the author's real life.

Thirdly, anything I'd remotely describe as "easy" to do in MAME has already been done. MESS offers a much larger untamed frontier, given that Al Kossow is dumping new 8-bit computers I've never heard of pretty much like clockwork, but even there things are starting to get harder.

So my conclusion is that MAME's current state is basically where it was destined to be, and nobody can change that or bring back 2004. It's a series of natural processes, not some boogeyman. If H*z* or anyone else is convinced they really can bring back 2004 rates of progress, they're welcome to fork the project under the terms of the license and give it a try. If it works, it's great for everyone. If not, well, it means I'm right

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Does someone know what's wrong with Mamedev? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#257183 - 06/13/11 06:00 AM

--
To put things bluntly, the current rate of progress is the new normal. Let me explain why for a few large reasons.

First off, MAME has emulated nearly every game that anyone currently alive is going to be nostalgic about, and what's left is mostly cookie-cutter 3D fighters, racers, and shooters of the sort that Yahtzee gleefully eviscerates every Wednesday. There are folks active on this board who claim all the games that matter were emulated by 0.37b5. I don't happen to share that opinion, but at the same time any unemulated games I do work on now it's more for the intellectual stimulation of the process than because I give a shit about the game.

Secondly, all those guys you saw in the credits every 2 weeks in 2004 are now 35+ and have wives/husbands and kids. And for whatever reasons the younger generation (under 25) isn't as into computer programming in general. (They *are* into music production, which has been great for OCRemix and similar projects). This isn't MAME or emulation-specific either. I've seen discussions for a variety of F/OSS projects wondering why there's little or no new talent.

---

Good post. Maybe that can be future FAQ material for MAMEdev site so users wonder why updates seem slow can understand why that is the case.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#257207 - 06/13/11 02:40 PM

I say... stop adding new games and improve games already added, specially games from the 80's.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Does someone know what's wrong with Mamedev? new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#257215 - 06/13/11 04:03 PM

> I say... stop adding new games and improve games already added, specially games from
> the 80's.

And I say that arguably the most significant improvement to the emulation of 80s games since the invention of emulators just happened: HLSL. (Not to mention things like couriersud's ongoing tinkering with the early 80s Nintendo games).

Beyond that, I always say that if you want something done to your precise specifications, do it yourself. Ciro, I know you can program. So why not get your hands dirty? Barring that, I hope there are clear, concise, well-written tickets in MAMETesters for each and every 80s game that doesn't meet your standards. There's *always* something people can do for MAME

Ziggy100
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/14/08
Send PM

#257216 - 06/13/11 04:10 PM

> And I say that arguably the most significant improvement to the emulation of 80s
> games since the invention of emulators just happened: HLSL.

Cant argue with that, its a fantastic addition, and shows the use of 3d accelerator cards are a real bonus for MAME, and should be used more,alot more..hint,hint...

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#257219 - 06/13/11 04:16 PM

> > And I say that arguably the most significant improvement to the emulation of 80s
> > games since the invention of emulators just happened: HLSL.
>
>
> Cant argue with that, its a fantastic addition, and shows the use of 3d accelerator
> cards are a real bonus for MAME, and should be used more,alot more..hint,hint...

Don't worry, much more is planned

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

#257221 - 06/13/11 04:38 PM

> > And the most successful MameDev/Project Leader to boot.
>
> Aaron is the most successful.
>

Not Nicola?

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

Re: Does someone know what's wrong with Mamedev? new [Re: Fever]
#257248 - 06/13/11 07:28 PM

maybe? maybe not? =)
Point is, if there is such a throne as "the most successful MameDev/Project Leader to boot", it's definitely not mr. Haywood. And he'll definitely never claim it, even if he's in one of his angry rantmodes.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

#257249 - 06/13/11 07:30 PM

I understand what R. Belmont is saying. Life seems to become more complicated
as time goes on and Mamedev are not impervious to this. More and more time is
needed to spend with family work etc.

I do wish mamedev would go back though to the pattern of doing bug fix releases
though. I always looked forward to those updates more than any other. I also
understand that many problems with older games right now is protection needing
understood and emulated along with some needing the chips decapped etc. And
I admit I am no programmer so I am at their mercy (mamedev) on seeing these
fixes. NOT Complaining just stating a fact. And because of my lack of programming
skills I truelly appreciate all mamedev for their hard work and devotion.

The only real thing I would like to see is the CHD games like cubequest, mach one,
and firefox fixed but again I am no programmer so I quietly wait hoping to see these
fixed all the time understanding that Mamedev have lives too...

Only here to annoy...

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Does someone know what's wrong with Mamedev? new [Re: Renegade]
#257260 - 06/13/11 08:51 PM

> I do wish mamedev would go back though to the pattern of doing bug fix releases
> though.

I can only remember one specific bug-fix-only release in the history of MAME? And the next release *will* resolve a lot of problems - the recent serious breakage with save states have been fixed (which is good news for ClientServerMAME), and some improvements from the MESS Sega Saturn work are showing in ST-V, among other things. Plus HLSL continues to improve. (I'm hoping for some vector glow sometime soon myself).

The best thing you can do is make sure that whatever bugs pain you the most are well-documented in MAMETesters with clearly-written descriptions, inps/save states, and screen shots/mp3s where appropriate.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Does someone know what's wrong with Mamedev? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#257265 - 06/13/11 09:25 PM

I don't know about his mental status, but I do know about his accomplishments. Nobody is completely perfect.

I do believe that Mame is what it is now because of Mr Haywood, and I'm grateful to him because of that.

Edited by Bizimonki (06/13/11 09:25 PM)

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

#257274 - 06/13/11 11:13 PM

Quote:

And I say that arguably the most significant improvement to the emulation of 80s
games since the invention of emulators just happened: HLSL.

I disagree. HLSL is cool and I do enjoying playing around with it, but honestly all it's really doing is emulating flawed display technology of the past. It's not as if the hardware was sending flawed/degraded signal to the display, just the display doing the best it could to present the picture. As a kid I wished I could afford an RGB monitor so I could play my Nes, SNES and Genesis games with nice crisp, color-bleed free graphics like on PCs and some arcade systems back then. Most good monitors had controls for adjusting the screen size, pincushion, etc. in case something was being cut off. Go back in time for a moment. Did you really enjoy the eye strain, blurry NTSC output, runny colors and game information being cut off around the corners? As impressive as this technical achievement is, HLSL is something I'll mess with for a little while but eventually disable. Again, I'm grateful for its inclusion, but its just extra seasoning for nostalgia.

Edit: I don't think the NES was capable of RGB, but the Genesis and SNES were with the right cables.

Edited by denzilla (06/13/11 11:55 PM)

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Does someone know what's wrong with Mamedev? new [Re: DiodeDude]
#257276 - 06/13/11 11:37 PM

> Edit: I don't think the NES was capable of RGB, but the Genesis and SNES were with
> the right cables.

Correct, RF or Composite only. So was the SMS if I believe right too.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#257282 - 06/14/11 12:16 AM

> Go back in time for a moment. Did you really enjoy the
> eye strain, blurry NTSC output, runny colors and game information being cut off
> around the corners?

Most NES (and some SNES and Genesis) games were programmed with the NTSC artifacting in mind, so the NTSC simulation is actually a necessary part of displaying them as the creators intended. This is why every NES emulator that's still updated has some implementation of it.

Emulating the square edges of the NES pad digging into your palms is still optional though ;-)

jasd
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Does someone know what's wrong with Mamedev? new [Re: Fever]
#257288 - 06/14/11 02:05 AM

Nicola is Mame's father,he is the best

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

#257290 - 06/14/11 02:36 AM

Meh... If given the choice of having pure output vs. simulated degradation, I'd choose pure every time. All 8 and 16-bit games look so much better on a PC monitor. Just my opinion, of course.

Quote:

Emulating the square edges of the NES pad digging into your palms is still optional though ;-)

I never had that problem, but my left thumb hurt like hell for what seemed like months after getting a NES.

Edited by denzilla (06/14/11 02:38 AM)

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#257291 - 06/14/11 02:59 AM

> And I say that arguably the most significant improvement to the emulation of 80s
> games since the invention of emulators just happened: HLSL.
>
>
> I disagree. HLSL is cool and I do enjoying playing around with it, but honestly all
> it's really doing is emulating flawed display technology of the past. It's not as if
> the hardware was sending flawed/degraded signal to the display, just the display
> doing the best it could to present the picture. As a kid I wished I could afford an
> RGB monitor so I could play my Nes, SNES and Genesis games with nice crisp,
> color-bleed free graphics like on PCs and some arcade systems back then. Most good
> monitors had controls for adjusting the screen size, pincushion, etc. in case
> something was being cut off. Go back in time for a moment. Did you really enjoy the
> eye strain, blurry NTSC output, runny colors and game information being cut off
> around the corners? As impressive as this technical achievement is, HLSL is something
> I'll mess with for a little while but eventually disable. Again, I'm grateful for its
> inclusion, but its just extra seasoning for nostalgia.
>
> Edit: I don't think the NES was capable of RGB, but the Genesis and SNES were with
> the right cables.

That's exactly what I was talking about before. Yeah emulating an NTSC/PAL signal is an improvement, but it's just as fun and gimmicky as emulating battery dry, scratched discs or bug infusion via cartridge tilt... or so I though.

Now that I got access to PlayStation 2 emulation and I'm unable to get a clear/sharp resolution I'm not really sure about that anymore. I suppose HLSL will be useful for interlaced video and resolutions in the future after all.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Does someone know what's wrong with Mamedev? new [Re: BIOS-D]
#257294 - 06/14/11 03:08 AM

There is definitely a place for it, no question. Very much in agreement with RB in regards to Vector glow. Can't wait to see Tempest, Battlezone and Asteroids!

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#257296 - 06/14/11 03:27 AM

because I don't know anything about C++ programing. I code in Delphi.
Sure, I can read some C source code, but code in this language ? no...

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: Does someone know what's wrong with Mamedev? new [Re: gregf]
#257323 - 06/14/11 11:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Good post. Maybe that can be future FAQ material for MAMEdev site so users wonder why updates seem slow can understand why that is the case.

Haven't you heard? FAQs and blogs and....whatever else....are so yesterday. Kids don't read those things anymore....not sure what they read much of....

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#257324 - 06/14/11 12:01 PM

Quote:

Meh... If given the choice of having pure output vs. simulated degradation, I'd choose pure every time. All 8 and 16-bit games look so much better on a PC monitor.

Maybe you haven't seen them on a brand new, later model arcade monitor. Of course, if your vision is bad, you're just hosed.

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/10
Loc: Brasil
Send PM

#257339 - 06/14/11 02:11 PM

Alined scanlines aren't simulated DEGRADATION. It doesn't hurt the eyes and the image output on a Pc monitor looks terrible without it. A real arcade monitor is the way to go if you have it. I bought one and it's incredible, but now the image output from mame is almost as cool on my 21' crt pc monitor.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you're just trolling.

Also, you can have rgb out on the Nes with a little mod.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

#257371 - 06/14/11 07:24 PM

> I can only remember one specific bug-fix-only release in the history of MAME? And the
> next release *will* resolve a lot of problems

I was just talking, I remember yrs ago when it was stated that a next update would
be consintrated on fixes and that's what I was referring too. I know many fixes are
still added and I am apprecitive of them.

> The best thing you can do is make sure that whatever bugs pain you the most are
> well-documented in MAMETesters with clearly-written descriptions, inps/save states,
> and screen shots/mp3s where appropriate.

Yeah I have checked on mametesters and it is documented, I have ran it thru the
debugger in mame and it kicks out right after the mame O.K. screens with no load
of the debugger or of mame itself producing an error log of the problem so I know
that will make it harder to track down, Im using win7 64 bit with straight mame64
and windows promptly kicks out a error window asking to close the program so no
help there either... anyway I do appreciate all the work put into mame by all
involved but I also know that there are many that have past the test of time and
still here today helping preserve not just the games but mame itself like yourself.

I have seen many come and go thru mame thru the yrs and my hats off to those who
are still here and after all these yrs of time, effort and the ammount of dedication
they have put into it.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Immediate kick-out bug new [Re: Renegade]
#257382 - 06/14/11 08:20 PM

> Yeah I have checked on mametesters and it is documented, I have ran it thru the
> debugger in mame and it kicks out right after the mame O.K. screens with no load
> of the debugger or of mame itself producing an error log of the problem so I know
> that will make it harder to track down

What game is this, for reference?

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Immediate kick-out bug new [Re: R. Belmont]
#257387 - 06/14/11 08:31 PM

He is talking about Cubequest, Mach One,
and Firefox.

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Send PM

Re: Does someone know what's wrong with Mamedev? new [Re: Ramirez]
#257405 - 06/14/11 10:57 PM

Quote:

Alined scanlines aren't simulated DEGRADATION. It doesn't hurt the eyes and the image
output on a Pc monitor looks terrible without it. A real arcade monitor is the way to
go if you have it. I bought one and it's incredible, but now the image output from
mame is almost as cool on my 21' crt pc monitor.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you're just trolling.

Also, you can have rgb out on the Nes with a little mod.

I didn't mean to imply scanlines themselves were "degradation", but scanline jitter and color bleeding are. Your preference to Arcade monitors is noted, and is entirely subjective. What looks good to you may not look good to me. Not really sure how you came to the conclusion that I was trolling....

I thought I read at one time that RGB could be done by modding the console. Good to know my memory isn't entirely crap

Edited by denzilla (06/14/11 11:00 PM)

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

#257407 - 06/14/11 11:30 PM

The "little" mod is removing the PPU from the NES and putting one of the RGB arcade PPU's from VSNES or PC10(can't remember exactly). The colors aren't right however, since the NES versions are designed for the NTSC color setup.

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Does someone know what's wrong with Mamedev? new [Re: Reznor007]
#257490 - 06/15/11 06:36 PM

> The "little" mod is removing the PPU from the NES and putting one of the RGB arcade
> PPU's from VSNES or PC10(can't remember exactly). The colors aren't right however,
> since the NES versions are designed for the NTSC color setup.

Yes, you're right... there's nothing little about this mod.

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Send PM

#257491 - 06/15/11 06:44 PM

> Alined scanlines aren't simulated DEGRADATION. It doesn't hurt the eyes and the image
> output on a Pc monitor looks terrible without it. A real arcade monitor is the way to
> go if you have it. I bought one and it's incredible, but now the image output from
> mame is almost as cool on my 21' crt pc monitor.
> Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you're just trolling.
>
> Also, you can have rgb out on the Nes with a little mod.
>
>
> I didn't mean to imply scanlines themselves were "degradation", but scanline jitter
> and color bleeding are. Your preference to Arcade monitors is noted, and is entirely
> subjective. What looks good to you may not look good to me. Not really sure how you
> came to the conclusion that I was trolling....
>
> I thought I read at one time that RGB could be done by modding the console. Good to
> know my memory isn't entirely crap

So you prefer an upscaled image over one in its own resolution... Ok.

Naoki
Send PM

#257494 - 06/15/11 07:06 PM

There's nothing really wrong with it is there? I mean, many people complain that older gen consoles on LCDs/Plasmas look bad because of blurring,upscaling to that native res would get rid of blurring.

I myself like sharp graphics, regardless of what the programmers intended. So sacrifice the effect of say shadowing or fading for sharpness, I wouldn't care TBH.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#257498 - 06/15/11 09:07 PM

> So you prefer an upscaled image over one in its own resolution... Ok.

I didn't know this effect magically transforms every LCD pixel into the right size to display a determined native resolution. Oh wait, you mean upscaled images with faked effects?... my bad. :P

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Does someone know what's wrong with Mamedev? new [Re: BIOS-D]
#257499 - 06/15/11 09:34 PM

> > So you prefer an upscaled image over one in its own resolution... Ok.
>
> I didn't know this effect magically transforms every LCD pixel into the right size to
> display a determined native resolution. Oh wait, you mean upscaled images with faked
> effects?... my bad. :P

If you want to be sarcastic, you should go back some posts and read it... he was saying that he prefer the image of an arcade game on a modern day pc monitor than on a real arcade monitor matching the game native resolution. And of course, how Naoki said, there is nothing wrong with it.

Naoki
Send PM

#257506 - 06/16/11 12:37 AM

> > > So you prefer an upscaled image over one in its own resolution... Ok.
> >
> > I didn't know this effect magically transforms every LCD pixel into the right size
> to
> > display a determined native resolution. Oh wait, you mean upscaled images with
> faked
> > effects?... my bad. :P
>
> If you want to be sarcastic, you should go back some posts and read it... he was
> saying that he prefer the image of an arcade game on a modern day pc monitor than on
> a real arcade monitor matching the game native resolution. And of course, how Naoki
> said, there is nothing wrong with it.

Wait, now I'm confused. When you said "..ok", were you implyinng it seemed strange to you?

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Does someone know what's wrong with Mamedev? new [Re: Naoki]
#257527 - 06/16/11 04:35 AM

Yes. It's strange to me. But what can I say... different folks, different strokes.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#257560 - 06/16/11 11:26 AM

> But what can I say... different folks, different strokes.

That's what homie next door is saying.....

Ramirez
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Does someone know what's wrong with Mamedev? new [Re: mogli]
#257568 - 06/16/11 02:11 PM

> > But what can I say... different folks, different strokes.
>
> That's what homie next door is saying.....

Hummm... homie... this one a have to search the meaning...

Homie or homey is a slang term in urban culture whose origins etymologists generally trace [1] to African American language from the late 19th century. This was a time when many African Americans were migrating to cities in larger numbers, and "homeboy" meant a male friend from back home. It was eventually shortened to "homie". The term could also have originated from the Spanish word hombre, which means man. Similarly, the word is also a contraction of Mexican slang words "homeboy" or "homebuddies" which became prevalent among some of the youth in Latino and chicano communities in the United States, starting in the late 1960s and continuing up to the present. Since the 1980s, the word has been particularly prevalent in hip hop subculture. Homie was also commonly associated with gangs, gang symbols, and rebellious youth.

Are you implying that you know my ethnicity? When some one have a difficulty with english you just imply that he or she is an african american or an hispanic latin american? Are you a racist?

Edited by ramirez (06/16/11 02:11 PM)

Naoki
Send PM

#257571 - 06/16/11 03:12 PM

> > > But what can I say... different folks, different strokes.
> >
> > That's what homie next door is saying.....
>
>
> Hummm... homie... this one a have to search the meaning...
>
> Homie or homey is a slang term in urban culture whose origins etymologists generally
> trace [1] to African American language from the late 19th century. This was a time
> when many African Americans were migrating to cities in larger numbers, and "homeboy"
> meant a male friend from back home. It was eventually shortened to "homie". The term
> could also have originated from the Spanish word hombre, which means man. Similarly,
> the word is also a contraction of Mexican slang words "homeboy" or "homebuddies"
> which became prevalent among some of the youth in Latino and chicano communities in
> the United States, starting in the late 1960s and continuing up to the present. Since
> the 1980s, the word has been particularly prevalent in hip hop subculture. Homie was
> also commonly associated with gangs, gang symbols, and rebellious youth.
>
> Are you implying that you know my ethnicity? When some one have a difficulty with
> english you just imply that he or she is an african american or an hispanic latin
> american? Are you a racist?

Language like lifeforms evolve over time. Homie used to mean that, but can be referred to as a friend or something nower days.

jasd
MAME Fan
Send PM

#257678 - 06/17/11 06:01 PM

> To put things bluntly, the current rate of progress is the new normal. Let me explain
> why for a few large reasons.
>
> First off, MAME has emulated nearly every game that anyone currently alive is going
> to be nostalgic about, and what's left is mostly cookie-cutter 3D fighters, racers,
> and shooters of the sort that Yahtzee gleefully eviscerates every Wednesday. There
> are folks active on this board who claim all the games that matter were emulated by
> 0.37b5. I don't happen to share that opinion, but at the same time any unemulated
> games I do work on now it's more for the intellectual stimulation of the process than
> because I give a shit about the game.
>
> Secondly, all those guys you saw in the credits every 2 weeks in 2004 are now 35+ and
> have wives/husbands and kids. And for whatever reasons the younger generation (under
> 25) isn't as into computer programming in general. (They *are* into music production,
> which has been great for OCRemix and similar projects). This isn't MAME or
> emulation-specific either. I've seen discussions for a variety of F/OSS projects
> wondering why there's little or no new talent. Most of those projects compensated by
> getting corporate backing and therefore being able to make programming Linux or GCC
> or WebKit your actual "day job" that can support your kids rather than taking time
> away from them. For a variety of reasons I don't think that model could work for
> MAME.
>
> Even within emulation you'll notice that for instance ElSemi isn't exactly cranking
> things out like he used to, and in fact new non-MAME emulators are hard to come by.
> Supermodel was the last major launch, and it's already run into its own conflicts
> with the author's real life.
>
> Thirdly, anything I'd remotely describe as "easy" to do in MAME has already been
> done. MESS offers a much larger untamed frontier, given that Al Kossow is dumping new
> 8-bit computers I've never heard of pretty much like clockwork, but even there things
> are starting to get harder.
>
> So my conclusion is that MAME's current state is basically where it was destined to
> be, and nobody can change that or bring back 2004. It's a series of natural
> processes, not some boogeyman. If H*z* or anyone else is convinced they really can
> bring back 2004 rates of progress, they're welcome to fork the project under the
> terms of the license and give it a try. If it works, it's great for everyone. If not,
> well, it means I'm right

But as far as I know most of Mamedev don't want to do emulation work,if the left work very difficult or they may be forget why Nicola build Mame.....

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

? *nt* new [Re: jasd]
#257683 - 06/17/11 07:03 PM

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#257687 - 06/17/11 08:12 PM

> But as far as I know most of Mamedev don't want to do emulation work,if the left work
> very difficult or they may be forget why Nicola build Mame.....

Nonsense. The devs who stopped being able to do work have largely formally quit, and the ones that haven't are doing work. Meadows Warp Speed just started running, for instance, although it's strange hardware so it may not be perfect by the next release.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#257690 - 06/17/11 09:25 PM

>> But as far as I know most of Mamedev don't want to do emulation work,if the left work
>> very difficult or they may be forget why Nicola build Mame.....

>Meadows Warp Speed just started running, for instance, although it's strange hardware
>so it may not be perfect by the next release.

Nice. The old MAME Chat threads, including links to a video clip showing Warp Speed cab and game in operation last year, have expired. And the video clips are no longer online either. It's a bummer because the same person that had other videos (Williams Road Race, and Kasco's The Driver) online appears to have taken those down. Oh well.

I don't know if any paperwork was ever printed for Meadows' Warp Speed. If Warp Speed audio is all discrete components, here's hoping someone would want to trace specific components and create audio logic schematics for audio sounds so audio sounds could be emulated later. If not, that's understandable. The fact that the game is running is an achievement itself.

Meanwhile, here are some video clip goodness of non-cpu game Midway Wheels in action. One shows the game operating outside of a Wheels cab and the other is from Sega's Space Ship contributor Fabrice (of France).

btw: Midway Wheels does not have any roms or proms needing to be dumped.

Midway Wheels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQWIXHAeNT0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3ADj5Gu_s

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#257693 - 06/17/11 09:44 PM

> > > But what can I say... different folks, different strokes.
> >
> > That's what homie next door is saying.....
>
>
> Hummm... homie... this one a have to search the meaning...
>
> Homie or homey is a slang term in urban culture whose origins etymologists generally
> trace [1] to African American language from the late 19th century. This was a time
> when many African Americans were migrating to cities in larger numbers, and "homeboy"
> meant a male friend from back home. It was eventually shortened to "homie". The term
> could also have originated from the Spanish word hombre, which means man. Similarly,
> the word is also a contraction of Mexican slang words "homeboy" or "homebuddies"
> which became prevalent among some of the youth in Latino and chicano communities in
> the United States, starting in the late 1960s and continuing up to the present. Since
> the 1980s, the word has been particularly prevalent in hip hop subculture. Homie was
> also commonly associated with gangs, gang symbols, and rebellious youth.
>
> Are you implying that you know my ethnicity? When some one have a difficulty with
> english you just imply that he or she is an african american or an hispanic latin
> american? Are you a racist?

Na, dude. I was playing on the 'black guys have bigger dicks' thing. Other folks - different strokes. Get it?

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#257694 - 06/17/11 09:49 PM

> Midway Wheels
>

The papa of Monaco GP. Doesn't look like they did much more than dress up the graphics from one to the other.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#257827 - 06/19/11 06:34 AM

>> Midway Wheels

>The papa of Monaco GP. Doesn't look like they did much more than dress up the
>graphics from one to the other.

Midway Wheels uses a single logic/game pcb. It is interesting that Sega's game uses a dual pcb setup to run Monaco GP. And as known, Sega's game does use roms/proms for storing graphics and maybe some of the game code data as well. I haven't compared the exact differences or features between the two games.

ranger_lennier
Reged: 04/07/05
Send PM

Warp Speed video new [Re: gregf]
#257831 - 06/19/11 09:34 AM Attachment: Meadows-WARP_SPEED.zip 13606 KB (34 downloads)

>
> Nice. The old MAME Chat threads, including links to a video clip showing Warp Speed
> cab and game in operation last year, have expired. And the video clips are no longer
> online either. It's a bummer because the same person that had other videos (Williams
> Road Race, and Kasco's The Driver) online appears to have taken those down. Oh well.
>

I saved this Warp Speed video long ago. It will be good to see this game working, as it's one that seemed to have slipped through our fingers before.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#257901 - 06/20/11 10:18 AM

> >> Midway Wheels
>
>
> > The papa of Monaco GP. Doesn't look like they did much more than dress up the
> > graphics from one to the other.
>
> Midway Wheels uses a single logic/game pcb. It is interesting that Sega's game uses
> a dual pcb setup to run Monaco GP. And as known, Sega's game does use roms/proms for
> storing graphics and maybe some of the game code data as well. I haven't compared the
> exact differences or features between the two games.

You know, I didn't look but I had a feeling I was conflating the two games. They look so similar, though. And there was an evolution to Monaco. Hmmm.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#257994 - 06/21/11 05:28 AM

>>>> Midway Wheels
>
>
>>>The papa of Monaco GP. Doesn't look like they did much more than dress up the
>>>graphics from one to the other.
>
>>Midway Wheels uses a single logic/game pcb. It is interesting that Sega's game uses
>>a dual pcb setup to run Monaco GP. And as known, Sega's game does use roms/proms for
>>storing graphics and maybe some of the game code data as well. I haven't compared the
>>exact differences or features between the two games.

>You know, I didn't look but I had a feeling I was conflating the two games. They look so
>similar, though. And there was an evolution to Monaco. Hmmm.

Lesser the pcbs needing to be used for controlling a game....the better.

I was surprised when first finding out, many years earlier, that Midway was able to get Wheels working with one pcb. I was guessing two pcbs were needed. Midway's later edition of Super Speed Race also used one pcb, but that was expected since SSR does use a cpu to control operations. It probably could have been 2 pcbs had Midway not been using a cpu for controlling the game. Had Sega's MonacoGP used a cpu, it probably would have been a single pcb rather than a dual pcb setup.

For oddities, Kee Games Tank used a two board pcb setup while Fun Games' Tankers made use of a 3 pcb setup for handling Tankers. Both games should have identical gameplay. I occasionally played both games way back in mid 1970s. From what I recall, Tank was the better of the two imo because it had better, faster response when moving the tank around the screen during gameplay.

--
Kee Games Tank http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=1167

Fun Games Tankers http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=2503
--

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Warp Speed video new [Re: ranger_lennier]
#257995 - 06/21/11 05:32 AM

>> The old MAME Chat threads, including links to a video clip showing Warp Speed
>> cab and game in operation last year, have expired. And the video clips are no longer
>> online either. It's a bummer because the same person that had other videos (Williams
>> Road Race, and Kasco's The Driver) online appears to have taken those down. Oh well.

>I saved this Warp Speed video long ago. It will be good to see this game working, as
>it's one that seemed to have slipped through our fingers before.

Good move at the time. I should have done the same with Williams Road Race last year.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 312 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 7604