Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

I watch imame4all video on YouTube.
#255452 - 05/24/11 08:21 PM

http://code.google.com/p/imame4all/

How come MAME team didn't try to make a port for iPhone/Touch/iPad?

Sounds aren't that good. Skipping and popping as I heard on the YouTube video.

There many be a little slow down on the games. I haven't try it and probably never will until MAME dev make their version with out all those hacking.

Please don't ask for ROMS for this.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: I watch imame4all video on YouTube. new [Re: Dullaron]
#255463 - 05/24/11 09:53 PM

> http://code.google.com/p/imame4all/
>
> How come MAME team didn't try to make a port for iPhone/Touch/iPad?
>

Because when they heard of such a request, they couldn't stop laughing hard enough to code up the port

Anyway, the absolute best way to enjoy MAME IMO is standing up at your cab or relaxing at your PC

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

Re: I watch imame4all video on YouTube. new [Re: B2K24]
#255465 - 05/24/11 09:59 PM

> > http://code.google.com/p/imame4all/
> >
> > How come MAME team didn't try to make a port for iPhone/Touch/iPad?
> >
>
> Because when they heard of such a request, they couldn't stop laughing hard enough to
> code up the port
>
>
> Anyway, the absolute best way to enjoy MAME IMO is standing up at your cab or
> relaxing at your PC

Or SDLMAME on a N900. Not an iToy.

Dullaron
Send PM

Re: I watch imame4all video on YouTube. new [Re: CrapBoardSoftware]
#255471 - 05/24/11 10:31 PM

> > > http://code.google.com/p/imame4all/
> > >
> > > How come MAME team didn't try to make a port for iPhone/Touch/iPad?
> > >
> >
> > Because when they heard of such a request, they couldn't stop laughing hard enough
> to
> > code up the port
> >
> >
> > Anyway, the absolute best way to enjoy MAME IMO is standing up at your cab or
> > relaxing at your PC
>
> Or SDLMAME on a N900. Not an iToy.

Yep that is true.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#255520 - 05/25/11 04:32 AM

> How come MAME team didn't try to make a port for iPhone/Touch/iPad?

Because a Pentium 2 with an 8MB AGP card would probably have more luck running today's version of MAME than a tarted up PDA. The iPhone port is based on MAME 0.37b5, which was released roughly eleven years ago for MS-DOS of all things.

No-one is going to port 6000+ games to MAME 0.37, only to watch them crawl at 4 frames per second or simply crash/hang because the 0.37 core structure is so primitive (by today's standards) that half the games added since the year 2000 wouldn't even work anyway. Good for shits and giggles running Pac-Man on the phone, but not for anything else.

MAME is, and always will be, designed for PCs and derivatives (which an Intel Mac is, as far as I care). Today's MAME simply will not run at a decent speed on your Nintendo DS, PSP, PS2, Xbox 1 or Scramble PCB, no matter how hard you try (you might get away with an early 1980s 8-bit game if you are lucky; yes, the Scramble board can do wonders, so Raiden 2 will also work perfectly with correct graphics, full speed and no crashing ). The only reason older builds of MAME are listed on the site is for historical purposes.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: I watch imame4all video on YouTube. new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#255539 - 05/25/11 07:16 AM

> > How come MAME team didn't try to make a port for iPhone/Touch/iPad?
>
> Because a Pentium 2 with an 8MB AGP card would probably have more luck running
> today's version of MAME than a tarted up PDA. The iPhone port is based on MAME
> 0.37b5, which was released roughly eleven years ago for MS-DOS of all things.

I have Tigerarcade running, which I think is based on a pretty late model of MAME. It ain't that early, in any case, and runs at least things like Progear just fine on my Samsung Epic.

Controls are a different story.....

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

zambr
MAME Fanatic
Reged: 04/12/09
Send PM

#255542 - 05/25/11 07:57 AM

I always carry around my slick HTC and just wish i could show off MAME on that. It would be a good combination, especially as today, more poeple seem to play oldskool games on mobiles than any other device.

In an ideal world, would be nice to one day use an official current android build of MAME that can run games up to early-mid 90's well enough, that is to similar speeds of old MAME version's.

At present, as mentioned numerous times, this isn't practical at all. I guess in the distant future, it could in theory become a reality if the much talked about extra GPU h/w support was introduced into the core.

I am alot more excited with the prospect of using an official GPU enhanced MAME with android, than i am for desktops....and so should everyone else if you are a true arcade gamer and mobile addict.

This probably will happen one day one way or another i'd imagine. Will be a great day when it does

PS: be as exciting for me as when i first played arcade space harrier on my pc, using system16 emulator with no sound....

Edited by zambr (05/25/11 09:12 AM)

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Yer not payin attention, yo. Read my thread above. (nt) new [Re: zambr]
#255546 - 05/25/11 09:10 AM

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

zambr
MAME Fanatic
Send PM

Re: Yer not payin attention, yo. Read my thread above. (nt) new [Re: mogli]
#255549 - 05/25/11 11:23 AM

Yes i was paying attention !!!

What does the emulator you mentioned have to do with official MAME?

(1) appears to be no source available for it
(2) CPS1, CPS2 & Neogeo only
(3) it's not MAME, referring to points (1) and (2)

Edited by zambr (05/25/11 11:36 AM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: I watch imame4all video on YouTube. new [Re: mogli]
#255567 - 05/25/11 03:43 PM

> I have Tigerarcade running, which I think is based on a pretty late model of MAME. It
> ain't that early, in any case, and runs at least things like Progear just fine on my
> Samsung Epic.

Those ARM ports all are derived from 0.37b5 with drivers of interest to the kiddiez backported and all of MAME's accurate and trustworthy CPU cores replaced with slapdash ARM assembly jobs. At least Tigerarcade doesn't include 'MAME' in the name.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I watch imame4all video on YouTube. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#255689 - 05/27/11 02:29 AM

> > I have Tigerarcade running, which I think is based on a pretty late model of MAME.
> It
> > ain't that early, in any case, and runs at least things like Progear just fine on
> my
> > Samsung Epic.
>
> Those ARM ports all are derived from 0.37b5 with drivers of interest to the kiddiez
> backported and all of MAME's accurate and trustworthy CPU cores replaced with
> slapdash ARM assembly jobs. At least Tigerarcade doesn't include 'MAME' in the name.

The point is, it plays the games accurately enough that I'm not noticing. I mean, for fuck's sake, it's a phone....

The Culture

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Yer not payin attention, yo. Read my thread above. (nt) new [Re: zambr]
#255690 - 05/27/11 02:29 AM

> Yes i was paying attention !!!
>
> What does the emulator you mentioned have to do with official MAME?
>
> (1) appears to be no source available for it
> (2) CPS1, CPS2 & Neogeo only
> (3) it's not MAME, referring to points (1) and (2)

Read RB's response to me above, and my response. Then make up your own mind.

The Culture

Budweiser
And you wonder why I drink !!!
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Arizona
Send PM

Re: Yer not payin attention, yo. Read my thread above. (nt) new [Re: mogli]
#255726 - 05/27/11 06:30 AM

MAME4All source code

Used also on Caanoo,Gp2x,Dingoo,and Pandora handhelds..

http://sources.cosam.org/svn/mame4all/

Rehab is for quitters !!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: I watch imame4all video on YouTube. new [Re: mogli]
#255790 - 05/27/11 05:33 PM

> The point is, it plays the games accurately enough that I'm not noticing. I mean, for
> fuck's sake, it's a phone....

Sure, and emulators are completely fucking uncontrollable on touch screens. I've got several on my EVO to show off (along with the recent M1 port), but they're all utterly unplayable. At least with UAE I can load it up with demos that you aren't meant to interact with anyway ;-)

zambr
MAME Fanatic
Send PM

Windows, Mac & Linux o/s compiles officially supported .........time for Android o/s maybe new [Re: R. Belmont]
#255822 - 05/27/11 11:09 PM

Even if to begin with is treated solely as a test case. Would be interesting to see how much it would mature over h/w device improvements over time.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-05-20-android-sales-beat-ios-in-q1

Edited by zambr (05/28/11 03:37 PM)

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I watch imame4all video on YouTube. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#255902 - 05/29/11 12:54 AM

> Sure, and emulators are completely fucking uncontrollable on touch screens. I've got
> several on my EVO to show off (along with the recent M1 port), but they're all
> utterly unplayable. At least with UAE I can load it up with demos that you aren't
> meant to interact with anyway ;-)

Hmh, yeah. I already caveated controls in my earlier post.

By the way, the version of Tigerarcade I have is not the same as the one originally on Android Market, but this one now available:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.tiger.game.arcade2

The Culture

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Mame4Droid new [Re: Budweiser]
#255903 - 05/29/11 01:17 AM

Well I played Mame4All on the XDA orbit and that ran pretty good on a 200mhz Arm.

Even Dkong played at full speed.......

The reason why the Mamedevs cannot port to Android, is that they are just narrow minded PC coders.

It is too much of a challenge for them to learn something new. Don't worry though I'm sure some 16 year old will code it sometime in the near future.

Its just a matter of time.

Budweiser
And you wonder why I drink !!!
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Arizona
Send PM

Re: Mame4Droid new [Re: ]
#255904 - 05/29/11 01:22 AM

Would be nice to see a more recent port of MAME for the pandora
the one now is ok but could be alot better...

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#255908 - 05/29/11 02:52 AM

> The reason why the Mamedevs cannot port to Android, is that they are just narrow
> minded PC coders.
>
> It is too much of a challenge for them to learn something new. Don't worry though I'm
> sure some 16 year old will code it sometime in the near future.
>
> Its just a matter of time.

Your the one with a narrow mind always wanting more instead of being appreciative of what you already have.

Maybe if you weren't always playing with your little phone YOU might be able to learn something new and code it up.

zambr
MAME Fanatic
Send PM

#255919 - 05/29/11 03:39 AM

> Well I played Mame4All on the XDA orbit and that ran pretty good on a 200mhz Arm.
>
> Even Dkong played at full speed.......
>
> The reason why the Mamedevs cannot port to Android, is that they are just narrow
> minded PC coders.
>
> It is too much of a challenge for them to learn something new. Don't worry though I'm
> sure some 16 year old will code it sometime in the near future.
>
> Its just a matter of time.

That has nothing to do with it.

Android is still a relatively new O/S, and so is the h/w generally speaking.

Alot of changes have been made to the MAME source over recent time, to make it easier and more portable friendly.

It might simply be the case that noone has looked into this yet, taking these points into consideration and the size of the MAME project.

From what i've read so far about compiling C++ programs for android, is that the apps appear to all be developed on linux.

Edited by zambr (05/29/11 03:51 AM)

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Mame4Droid new [Re: B2K24]
#255921 - 05/29/11 03:50 AM

Wow, I can't believe he insulted the mamedev's like that. Offering all there hard work for free, just to be slapped in the face for there efforts. I guess there's some people that just can't appreciate anything others do.

Well said btw. If you want something done bad enough, you should try to learn how to do it yourself.

Edited by Envisaged0ne (05/29/11 03:51 AM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Mame4Droid new [Re: Budweiser]
#255924 - 05/29/11 04:22 AM

> Would be nice to see a more recent port of MAME for the pandora
> the one now is ok but could be alot better...

You aren't paying attention. More recent MAME cannot run on these limp-dick ARM devices. They average about 1/2 the performance per clock of a Core 2 Duo. Dkong runs full speed on the "4all" ports because it's 0.37b5. The colors are wrong, the sounds are wrong, and the gameplay timing is wrong. But boy, they sure showed MAMEdev!

(And for the record, there is nothing new or novel about Android - it's boringly stock stripped-down Debian-ish with a Java emulator instead of a user interface. If you target 2.3 or later you can sweep the Java bullshit entirely aside and compile current MAME pretty much as-is once you've built SDL. But good fucking luck on the performance).

Edited by R. Belmont (05/29/11 04:28 AM)

Dullaron
Send PM

Yep. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#255928 - 05/29/11 05:49 AM

Your are right. MAME been change since then. Speed will be so slow on those little hand held machines. Slower than a snail crawling.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Yep. new [Re: Dullaron]
#255967 - 05/29/11 12:04 PM

> Your are right. MAME been change since then. Speed will be so slow on those little
> hand held machines. Slower than a snail crawling.

PCs really separate the men from the boys. How hard is it to simply use a laptop designed for computing on-the-move, instead of having 1000 useless things on a mobile phone? How about actually using the phone as a phone?

And not a 99 megapixel camera which still fails to deliver a decent picture, blurry video maker (because jagged, 160x120 laggy 7.355165fps-on-average videos are so awesome; yes I know they have improved, but still), wannabe desktop publisher (because capital letters and punctuation do not exist to most users), wannabe games console (no comment necessary), wannabe music player (because we all love that tinny, high pitched squeaky sound heard all over the bus/train/restaurant), internet browser (yay, let's all make mobile-specific pages because they can't fit the standard VGA width, let alone 1024 or wider), expensive messaging device (note that MSN et.al. are free, yet SMS texts still cost money like it's 1976).

Over mobiles since 1998. Over and out.

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

Re: Yep. new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#255973 - 05/29/11 04:30 PM

To be fair, modern phones are often 854x480 res or higher and can run most any web site. Many can record 720P video as well. Most plans include unlimited text/picture messages now also.

Games wise, the biggest issue is often controls. My phone can play Quake3 perfectly fine, but controlling it using 2 virtual analog sticks is...awkward at best. It's apparently not bad on phones with a physical QWERTY keyboard though. What RB said still applies to MAME though, even the 1GHz ARM CPU in my phone isn't a super performer for what MAME requires.

zambr
MAME Fanatic
Send PM

Re: Yep. new [Re: Reznor007]
#255976 - 05/29/11 05:14 PM

> To be fair, modern phones are often 854x480 res or higher and can run most any web
> site. Many can record 720P video as well. Most plans include unlimited text/picture
> messages now also.
>
> Games wise, the biggest issue is often controls. My phone can play Quake3 perfectly
> fine, but controlling it using 2 virtual analog sticks is...awkward at best. It's
> apparently not bad on phones with a physical QWERTY keyboard though. What RB said
> still applies to MAME though, even the 1GHz ARM CPU in my phone isn't a super
> performer for what MAME requires.

http://icontrolpad.com/ Still, this looks pretty neat for a controller solution. By same guys behind Open Pandora i think !

You would think a 1ghz cpu would be able to cope with games like galaxians, ms pacman, tempest and the like (even with MAME's modern accurate emulation overhead). Simple sprite / vector stuff, which is what im more interested in whilst down the pub :P

Thinking futurewise (actually, this applies equally today), my son plays simple games on his mobile all the time. Makes me think in the future when we have all gone, how best to introduce classics via MAME/MESS to youngsters? Perhaps mobile devices (not just phones) are the answer wether we like it or not. As when out and about, away from their consoles, surely more likely to try something different and simplier in design.

Edited by zambr (05/29/11 06:20 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: Yep. new [Re: zambr]
#255981 - 05/29/11 06:18 PM

> You would think a 1ghz cpu would be able to cope with games like galaxians, ms
> pacman, tempest and the like (even with MAME's modern accurate emulation overhead).
> Simple sprite / vector stuff, which is what im more interested in whilst down the pub
> :P

Clocks by themselves are totally meaningless as a measure of actual performance. I thought everyone learned that from the Pentium 4 debacle

zambr
MAME Fanatic
Send PM

Re: Yep. new [Re: R. Belmont]
#255982 - 05/29/11 06:23 PM

> Clocks by themselves are totally meaningless as a measure of actual performance. I
> thought everyone learned that from the Pentium 4 debacle

Ahh, i must have missed that one. Interesting.

I guess with the current pace of mobile device h/w being released, it hopefully won't be too long before a fairly reasonable cpu becomes adopted (taking cooling problems into consideration).

It's nearly as exciting as the 80's, speccy to amiga days :P

Edited by zambr (05/29/11 06:57 PM)

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#256009 - 05/30/11 01:25 AM

I can run late 80s or early 90s game 100% with MAME .89 (maybe .104) + hwstretch on a 750mhz XP SP3 machine.

However, I have the inclination that Android handles resources differently. Regardless, you can't do a thing with an app that isn't wrapped in Android widget format. Android phones are not PCs.

zambr
MAME Fanatic
Send PM

Re: Yep. new [Re: mogli]
#256011 - 05/30/11 01:59 AM

> I can run late 80s or early 90s game 100% with MAME .89 (maybe .104) + hwstretch on a
> 750mhz XP SP3 machine.
>
> However, I have the inclination that Android handles resources differently.
> Regardless, you can't do a thing with an app that isn't wrapped in Android widget
> format. Android phones are not PCs.

Yep, hence have to wait for a good enough cpu to compensate for all the android bloatware + MAME accuracy overhead.

I'm sure it will happen eventually.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

#256040 - 05/30/11 12:45 PM

> Yep, hence have to wait for a good enough cpu to compensate for all the android
> bloatware + MAME accuracy overhead.
>
> I'm sure it will happen eventually.

No, just use Tigerarcade. MAME was plenty mature at .37b . I'll make an ardent call for the wahmbulance for any who staunchly feel otherwise.

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

Re: Yep. new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#256059 - 05/30/11 05:49 PM

> PCs really separate the men from the boys. How hard is it to simply use a laptop
> designed for computing on-the-move, instead of having 1000 useless things on a mobile
> phone? How about actually using the phone as a phone?

Ah Because today you probably want something that is more of a general-communicator-remote-login-office-hacking-device than only "a phone"? Phones (and unfortunately still most "Smart"phones too) are ironiliciously "for tick pepol" onlee. I could be ok with that if you did wrote to separate is using a real desktop machine instead of (most are) a crappy and too expensive laptop for computing.

> And not a 99 megapixel camera which still fails to deliver a decent picture, blurry video maker (because jagged, 160x120 laggy 7.355165fps-on-average videos are so
> awesome; yes I know they have improved, but still)

But still? Last time i checked, most cameras have been VERY improved (N8 anyone?) So in what decade are you living? 2003-ish? 720p is not a rare word heard in the mobile business...

> wannabe desktop publisher (because capital letters and punctuation do not exist to most users)

That's a problem in general (on the web anyway), not particular to mobile users.

> wannabe games console (no comment necessary)

"No comment", why? For example, Maemo can play webOS games via preenv. I think most of them are really nice, besides that it doesn't support multitouch. I think most mobile games are comparable (in "depth" or lack thereof, content, graphics and controls/easy-of-access) to arcade games, so why are you interested in arcade games then?

> wannabe music player (because we all love that tinny, high pitched squeaky sound heard all over the bus/train/restaurant)

About playing in public: Indeed, but that are mostly kids/teens/Americans. Use good earbuds (and by that i especially NOT mean the ones you got with your Eiphone/Eipod/Portable device, but costly 3rd party ones like f.e. the Sennheiser CX 400-II) and a music player with supports FLAC/Vorbis/Parametric EQ et al. Btw, the speakers on my N900 show good frequency response, are perfectly understandable, and do not distort... often not even laptops can provide this experience.

> internet browser (yay, let's all make mobile-specific pages because they can't fit the standard VGA width, let alone 1024 or wider)

Almost no issues using microB and Opera (Fennec is a resource hog). And using microB, i can load the desktop versions of websites, not having to use the mobile version as on iOS and similar shit. Even Flash is supported if truly in need, but it's sometimes cumbersome anyway.

> expensive messaging device (note that MSN et.al. are free, yet SMS texts still cost money like it's 1976).

Ok, SMS / MMS is still expensive as shit in Europe / on roaming if you do not have special plan packages, but Pidgin (ICQ, Jabber, or maybe also MSN for you NA's) & Skype rock using WiFi where available, and if not, anyway you HAVE to use a data package with your plan.

> Over mobiles since 1998. Over and out.

What do you use since 1998, then? If not "Mobiles", "Luggables"? Or only telephone booths?

Besides gaming with is different on a mobile, I can do almost anything that i need to do while travelling. Either while in Vietnam/Asia, the US, or elsewhere. Only Sygic Mobile on Maemo sucks as there are no other Navigation solutions that offer offline address searches/routing, because it's prone to segfaults. Most if not all free tools can download OpenStreetmaps, but do not support offline routing if you do not want to create a track before.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#256096 - 05/31/11 01:55 AM

> > Clocks by themselves are totally meaningless as a measure of actual performance. I
> > thought everyone learned that from the Pentium 4 debacle
>
> Ahh, i must have missed that one. Interesting.

To give you an idea, an 1.60 GHz Pentium Dual Core E2140/Conroe is faster than a 3.40 GHz Pentium 4 651/Cedar Mill. By a hair, admittedly, but it is faster.

S

Quantum Leaper
OCRer and Monkey Typist for Galaxy Game
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Orion spiral arm of the Milky Way
Send PM

Re: Yep. new [Re: Sune]
#256168 - 05/31/11 05:44 PM

> > > Clocks by themselves are totally meaningless as a measure of actual performance.
> I
> > > thought everyone learned that from the Pentium 4 debacle
> >
> > Ahh, i must have missed that one. Interesting.
>
> To give you an idea, an 1.60 GHz Pentium Dual Core E2140/Conroe is faster than a 3.40
> GHz Pentium 4 651/Cedar Mill. By a hair, admittedly, but it is faster.
>

Also if it compare P3 to P4, P3 would be faster at the same clock speed. The only reason the P4 was faster was it was clocked higher.

kevenz
Reged: 04/25/11
Send PM

Re: Yep. new [Re: mogli]
#257637 - 06/17/11 03:42 AM

I used Tigerarcade last year on my moto droid before selling it for an iphone 4.

and I looked at the code and it's actually a port of Final Burn Alpha with stripped down code.... only cps1, cps2, cave and neogeo are supported.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 339 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5189