MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

uVSthem
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/06/11
Send PM

Art work file for Video Pinall download?
#254866 - 05/18/11 08:28 AM

Does anyone know where I can download the art work file for Video Pinall. I don't see it list on Mr Do's page.

StevieWunderful
Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: NY
Send PM

Re: Art work file for Video Pinall download? new [Re: uVSthem]
#254869 - 05/18/11 09:23 AM

It has not been completed yet, due to the complexities of the 3d depth and glowing blacklight paints used.

Ive recently found the proper scanner which can capture depth without blur distortion, however, Ive been tied up lately and have not yet scanned in the art in a non-lit way.

Still uncertain IF blacklight version will be possible on a flat scan.

Finally, it will not look like the real deal, cause Mame has yet to display on a 3d plane.

uVSthem
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/06/11
Send PM

Re: Art work file for Video Pinall download? new [Re: StevieWunderful]
#254870 - 05/18/11 09:38 AM Attachment: videopin.zip 430 KB (12 downloads)

I didn't know someone was working on it. Thanks and good luck on that. In the mean time here is a working artwork file while we wait.

Edited by uVSthem (05/18/11 09:49 AM)

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#254917 - 05/18/11 11:52 PM

Have you looked at AntoPISA site?

ChuckH
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/08
Send PM

#254927 - 05/19/11 12:27 AM Attachment: videopin.zip 415 KB (18 downloads)

Here's another artwork file. This one has a bezel also. I can't remember where I got it though.

ChuckH
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/08
Send PM

Re: Art work file for Video Pinall download? new [Re: ChuckH]
#254929 - 05/19/11 12:29 AM Attachment: 0000.png 501 KB (1 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

jcroach
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/27/04
Loc: Bloomington, Indiana
Send PM

Alternative to scanning new [Re: StevieWunderful]
#254982 - 05/19/11 06:58 PM

> It has not been completed yet, due to the complexities of the 3d depth and glowing
> blacklight paints used.
>
> Ive recently found the proper scanner which can capture depth without blur
> distortion, however, Ive been tied up lately and have not yet scanned in the art in a
> non-lit way.
>
> Still uncertain IF blacklight version will be possible on a flat scan.
>
> Finally, it will not look like the real deal, cause Mame has yet to display on a 3d
> plane.

Thank you for working on this!

One question, have you ever considered NOT scanning it?

High resolution photographs may be just as useful. Here's a suggestion: Figure out the angle between the monitor and the player's eyes. Set the play-field on the floor or saw horses, then set a high meg-pixel digital camera on a tripod at the same angle as the player's eyes would be to the monitor. Set up your black lights to either side of the camera/play-field. Take your pictures using the light of the black light and no flash.

The only thing you might then need to do would be to correct your digital photo for the keystoning inherent in an angled picture.

This would solve the problem of a flat scanner not giving the 3D effect, because you would be able to see the depth of the art from the angled photo. You'd have a good simulation of the play-field as viewed by the player, but not a pixel perfect image that could be reproduced.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Edited by jcroach (05/19/11 09:20 PM)

StevieWunderful
Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: NY
Send PM

Re: Alternative to scanning new [Re: jcroach]
#254997 - 05/19/11 09:20 PM

When I found out what the artwork was comprised of, I realized that the best way would be exactly what you pointed out. A photograph as the proper angle and lighting.

However, Mame does not display on angles to this date. Meaning, the games display would not map on to the artwork if the artwork were at the correct angle.

Maybe one day that will change.

(Btw, I think its a good option to have both ways possible... meaning, if someone wanted to revive a real game missing artwork, or make a cab from scratch.. they could have artwork displayed on a 2nd monitor separately. One monitor in front of the half silvered mirror which displays the game, and one behind it, showing the artwork)

jcroach
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Alternative to scanning new [Re: StevieWunderful]
#254998 - 05/19/11 09:34 PM

> However, Mame does not display on angles to this date. Meaning, the games display
> would not map on to the artwork if the artwork were at the correct angle.

Can't the angle be corrected using simple techniques in image editing software?

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/perspective.htm

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Alternative to scanning new [Re: StevieWunderful]
#254999 - 05/19/11 09:40 PM

Looks like we will need a 3DTV-compatible monitor and video card to run Video Pinball. Time to get the glasses out.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#255014 - 05/19/11 11:40 PM

> > However, Mame does not display on angles to this date. Meaning, the games display
> > would not map on to the artwork if the artwork were at the correct angle.
>
> Can't the angle be corrected using simple techniques in image editing software?
>
> http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/perspective.htm

The angle of the photograph, sure. The angle of the MAME game screen that will be projected onto the backdrop... not so much.

If there was a way to tilt the perspective of the MAME game screen, then we would be able to have the ideal viewing angle.

Until that time, I'd be more than happy to have the straight-up vertical version available.

(That reminds me... need to go out to buy that blacklight for the upcoming Boot Hill and Midway Baseball backdrops )

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Alternative to scanning new [Re: Mr. Do]
#255016 - 05/19/11 11:47 PM

I asked the new filter system author if he can add this tilt support. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible if you can do fishbowl with it.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Alternative to scanning new [Re: Smitdogg]
#255017 - 05/19/11 11:58 PM

> I asked the new filter system author if he can add this tilt support. I don't see why
> it wouldn't be possible if you can do fishbowl with it.

I was thinking about that, too, but hadn't mentioned it, since I hadn't seen it in the preview.

But if JD/MG could add it, that'd be cool.

(But still again, I would need the vertical view available, for non-Windows users).

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#255018 - 05/20/11 12:04 AM

If non-Windows users want to continue to be difficult they should have to learn to live without having 100% of the available luxuries. I'm just sayin. They already won't have the new system, why stop there.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Send PM

#255027 - 05/20/11 12:48 AM

> If non-Windows users want to continue to be difficult they should have to learn to
> live without having 100% of the available luxuries. I'm just sayin. They already
> won't have the new system, why stop there.

We already have GLSL support in SDLMAME - cgwg has already done a set of filters that do much the same thing. You're the ones that have been living without the luxuries so far :P

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Alternative to scanning new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#255028 - 05/20/11 12:57 AM

Good then it's decided, no more worrying about porting anything out to other operating systems. You guys do your thing and we'll do ours.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#255050 - 05/20/11 09:12 AM

and for windows users which do not have access to a pixel-shaders-2.0/3.0 gfx card...

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Alternative to scanning new [Re: etabeta]
#255061 - 05/20/11 04:24 PM

> and for windows users which do not have access to a pixel-shaders-2.0/3.0 gfx card...

This is the big one - bannister.org is lousy with people who have video cards and laptops that can't use the new filter system (e.g. many ArcadeVGAs). Therefore relying on it to properly display a game without a pure software fallback is a non-starter.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#255062 - 05/20/11 04:27 PM

> If non-Windows users want to continue to be difficult they should have to learn to
> live without having 100% of the available luxuries. I'm just sayin. They already
> won't have the new system, why stop there.

Hey, if you want to make war on 2 of the 4 remaining active MAMEdevs that's the DU's loss.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Alternative to scanning new [Re: R. Belmont]
#255067 - 05/20/11 06:04 PM Attachment: darth_vader_2.jpg 21 KB (2 downloads)

> > If non-Windows users want to continue to be difficult they should have to learn to
> > live without having 100% of the available luxuries. I'm just sayin. They already
> > won't have the new system, why stop there.
>
> Hey, if you want to make war on 2 of the 4 remaining active MAMEdevs that's the DU's
> loss.

I find your lack of faith disturbing. My next war will be with MESS Empire and with that out of the way you'll have nowhere else to turn except back to MAME. We will first use your own Jedi mind tricks against you to convince you that there are no more obsolete 1980's pocket calculators left to emulate. With no more obsolete 1980's pocket calculators left to pointlessly emulate, you will turn your powers back to arcade games. Calculators lead to MESS. MESS leads to software lists. Software lists leads to suffering...

The second part of my plan is with...sister, yes. Seducing your precious Anna Wu. If she only knew the power of the Dark Side. Forever will it dominate her destiny.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#255095 - 05/21/11 02:28 AM

Here's how the cabinet works...

Note that the artwork is on top, facing down, and the player views it in a half-silvered mirror. The graphics on the monitor below the mirror combine with the reflected artwork from above.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Send PM

#255101 - 05/21/11 04:23 AM

> Good then it's decided, no more worrying about porting anything out to other
> operating systems. You guys do your thing and we'll do ours.

We should drop the WIndows-specific OSD layer and make you all compile against SDL. Less code to maintain, and you only have one more package to download. I doubt it will make you Windows users stop having buttsecks with your cousins anyway.

jcroach
MAME Fan
Send PM

Fishbowl? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#255289 - 05/23/11 03:18 PM

> I asked the new filter system author if he can add this tilt support. I don't see why
> it wouldn't be possible if you can do fishbowl with it.

Fishbowl effect? Is a realistic simulation of Aztarac not far behind?

jcroach
MAME Fan
Send PM

Let me clarify new [Re: Mr. Do]
#255291 - 05/23/11 03:24 PM

> The angle of the photograph, sure. The angle of the MAME game screen that will be
> projected onto the backdrop... not so much.
>
> If there was a way to tilt the perspective of the MAME game screen, then we would be
> able to have the ideal viewing angle.
>
> Until that time, I'd be more than happy to have the straight-up vertical version
> available.

I'm not sure my idea is getting through correctly. In the end, what you'd have would be a straight-up vertical version. When you correct the angle of the picture, the perspective and proportions of the image would be the completely vertical. the only difference is you'd get some of the 3D effect because you'd see some of the "depth" of the artwork. This doesn't require a massive overhaul of the MAME code, just a camera, a protractor, a black light and about 10 minutes of tweaking in photoshop.

I'll post an example image if I have time.

Edited by jcroach (05/23/11 05:39 PM)

jcroach
MAME Fan
Send PM

How tall is the game? new [Re: krick]
#255307 - 05/23/11 05:38 PM

> Here's how the cabinet works...
>
> Note that the artwork is on top, facing down, and the player views it in a
> half-silvered mirror. The graphics on the monitor below the mirror combine with the
> reflected artwork from above.

Thank you for posting that! What's the height of the cabinet?

With that number and the average eye height of a person (61.7 inches) we can figure out the correct angle for viewing, thus the correct angle for the camera.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...2tw&cad=rja

Edited by jcroach (05/23/11 09:14 PM)

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: How tall is the game? new [Re: jcroach]
#255621 - 05/26/11 03:04 AM

> Thank you for posting that! What's the height of the cabinet?
>
> With that number and the average eye height of a person (61.7 inches) we can figure
> out the correct angle for viewing, thus the correct angle for the camera.

I'm not sure how high the cabinet is. The manual doesn't say.
Here's the best copy I've found...

http://mame.3feetunder.com/mameworld/Video_Pinball_TM-130_1st_Printing.pdf

Incidentally, I've noticed that there's audio schematics in the manual.
Does Video Pinball still need discrete audio work in MAME?

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 395 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3603