View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

RetroRepair
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/21/09
Send PM

Ride Racer 2 / Rave Racer
#254318 - 05/12/11 02:57 AM

I was just wondering what was holding up emulation on these two games since they both run on the same hardware as Ridge Racer 1 which works great for the most part. It's quite a shame too since rave racer is really close to working well, it's just that damn blackout issue with the lighting.

I'm not trying to moan or anything, I'm genuinely curious. I'm also sick of trying to get vivanonno to work reliably!

http://www.youtube.com/retrorepair

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Ride Racer 2 / Rave Racer new [Re: RetroRepair]
#254320 - 05/12/11 03:12 AM

> I'm also sick of trying to
> get vivanonno to work reliably!

Try Mjolnir, it might work better for those games, I don't remember.

Google 'Mjolnir 0.4', I think 0.4 was the last version.

S

RetroRepair
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Ride Racer 2 / Rave Racer new [Re: Sune]
#254344 - 05/12/11 07:12 AM

Thanks but it's no better than the latest mame, in fact it's worse.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

#254350 - 05/12/11 09:18 AM

Thanks but it's no better than the latest mame, in fact it's worse.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yeah, I tried it too a while back and it was pretty much the same as in mame.

I agree 100% with RetroRepair, that us Ridge Racer fans would be so overjoyed to see good emulation of RR2 and Rave. Love those games! The blackout issue is, as stated above, is really puzzling. Wonder why it darkens the screen like that.

Oh well, keep up the good works mame devs. Maybe someday

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Ride Racer 2 / Rave Racer new [Re: Outrun2006]
#254932 - 05/19/11 01:05 AM

Every time I think of Rave Racer, I'm reminded of the games it, and the Ridge Racer series in general, has had an influence on. One such game in particular, is Trackmania 2, which is slated for release later on this year. It is rumored the game's car handling will be very drifty and that the car will be able to initiate a slide similar to the way it's done in Ridge Racer. This news has me extremely excited about the game. Nadeo, the developers, have even stated Rave Racer as having an influence on them and on Trackmania. The guys at Criterion too, have cited the RR series as having an influence, and it is apparent in their Burnout games as well as the recent NFS Hot Pursuit.

The thing that absolutely boggles a lot of people's minds however, is the recent decision by Namco to farm this beloved franchise out to a western dev, and to add insult to injury, turn it into a FlatOut/Burnout clone. I mean seriously...what tool at Namco is responsible for making this decision and thinking a destruction derby type game is what Ridge Racer fans want? I'm just shaking my head at the moment. It's even more bittersweet for me personally, because I have always wanted Namco to announce a Ridge Racer game for the PC. So they FINALLY do it and what do we get? A burnout ripoff. Unbelievable.

With that having been said however, I have just recently seen a video which has footage of Namco and their western counterpart, Bugbear, talking about their philosophy behind the new direction this Ridge Racer Unbounded game will be taking. I came away slightly optimistic and even dare I say, somewhat excited. So I guess we'll have to wait and see. For those of you interested in seeing the video, it is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcTbcNi-22U

In the meantime, I will remain eternally grateful to the author of VivaNonno, as well as the MAME devs, for being able to play Rave Racer on my display at home. Once time passes and the MAME Devs improves mame to where Rave Racer runs absolutely perfectly, I will be in heaven

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#254936 - 05/19/11 01:52 AM

> I was just wondering what was holding up emulation on these two games since they both
> run on the same hardware as Ridge Racer 1 which works great for the most part. It's
> quite a shame too since rave racer is really close to working well, it's just that
> damn blackout issue with the lighting.
>
> I'm not trying to moan or anything, I'm genuinely curious. I'm also sick of trying to
> get vivanonno to work reliably!

Viva Nonno still exists in 2011? I thought that program disappeared alongside PSEmu Pro, Impact and S11emu...

RetroRepair
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Ride Racer 2 / Rave Racer new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#254941 - 05/19/11 03:32 AM

It's still around because it's still the only way to play ridge racer 2 or rave racer. Minus the FFB for rave racer and the cool lighting effects but you can't have it all.

I FINALLY got my wheel working with it though, turns out the gas axis on my driving force is Y and the brake is Zr.

Would be cool to see Mame run these properly one day. And for someone to add some real FFB to it as well.

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Send PM

#254958 - 05/19/11 08:40 AM

> Would be cool to see Mame run these properly one day. And for someone to add some
> real FFB to it as well.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

The addition of FFB to MAME to play Rave Racer or other 3D driving games, would result in me not playing anything else BUT MAME for the next 20 years straight.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Ride Racer 2 / Rave Racer new [Re: Outrun2006]
#254976 - 05/19/11 05:27 PM

I would say ditto but my Wheel's FFB steel cables came off and ruined the whole thing.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 356 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3196