MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

MESS 0.142u3
#254174 - 05/10/11 09:52 AM

http://mess.redump.net/downloads

0.142u3

New System Drivers Supported:
-----------------------------
(none)

Systems Promoted from GAME_NOT_WORKING:
---------------------------------------
(none)

Skeleton drivers:
-----------------
(none)

System Driver Changes:
----------------------
- amico2k: Implemented keyboard and display. [Curt Coder]
- amico2k: Fixed LED flickering. [Curt Coder]
- bbc: Started cleaning up the code as it has been neglected
for a long time. [GordonJ]
- psx: Most FMVs now have fluent video, again [R. Belmont]
- psx: Fix register readback of DMA completion, FMVs work
way better, SOTN gets into game [Fabio Priuli]
- prof80: Fixed display corruption. [Curt Coder]
- prof80: Added GripS 1.15 ROM. [Curt Coder]
- apple2e, apple2ee: Added keyboard ROMs. [Curt Coder]
- next: Added softlist and floppy device. [Curt Coder]
- atom: Fixed 2400Hz timer, CPU type, and added a comment
about the ERROR bug. [Curt Coder]
- abc802, abc806: Added ROM dump for ABC55/77 keyboard. [robcfg, Curt Coder]
- psx: fix FMV colors [Angelo Salese]
- next: Modernized driver and connected MCCS1850 RTC. [Curt Coder]
- c64: Connected to cartridge software list and implemented
loading of simple 8K/16K cartridges. [Curt Coder]
- ti99: Locked HSGPL mode to on for ti99_4p; HSGPL does not
lock up anymore when cartridge is plugged in; SAMS
address decoding fixed [Michael Zapf]
- at: Pentium drivers boots from HDD [Miodrag Milanovic]
- c64: Added mapper for the "VizaWrite 64" cartridge. [Curt Coder]
- next: Added default EEPROM, system boots to ROM monitor now. [Curt Coder]
- c64: Added mapper for the "Skaermtrolden Hugo" cartridge. [Curt Coder]
- c64: Added mapper for the "Easy Calc Result" cartridge. [Curt Coder]
- c64: Added mapper for the "Pagefox" cartridge. The 32KB RAM
expansion is not fully supported. [Curt Coder]
- pc: Fixed issues with XT HDC [Carl]

Software Lists:
----------------
- snes.xml: verified a lot of dumps and added a few more alt dumps [MESSfan]
- a800.xml/xegs.xml: updated to take advantage of and confirmed some dumps [k1w1]
- external contributions to lists from k1w1 (and mvrh)

Source Changes:
----------------
- sonydriv: fix crashes when accessing drive after a
software-initiated disk eject (e.g. zzcopy on apple2gs) [R. Belmont]

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

Jred
I gotta have more cowbell
Reged: 04/27/04
Send PM

Re: MESS 0.142u3 new [Re: abelenki]
#254190 - 05/10/11 05:33 PM

I'm curious about the hash/xml stuff that's being implemented.

It was my understanding that it wasn't just going to go by GoodSets since there's a lot of, for lack of a better word, crap in there, but looking at some of the xml files, they are generated from Good tools.

Is this because they are just in preliminary states or is this more or less gonna be the standard from now on?

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: MESS 0.142u3 new [Re: Jred]
#254194 - 05/10/11 06:02 PM

> I'm curious about the hash/xml stuff that's being implemented.
>
> It was my understanding that it wasn't just going to go by GoodSets since there's a
> lot of, for lack of a better word, crap in there, but looking at some of the xml
> files, they are generated from Good tools.

you are looking to the .hsi files used by the picker.
you should only check the .xml files used for software lists

Jred
Send PM

Re: MESS 0.142u3 new [Re: etabeta]
#254195 - 05/10/11 06:03 PM

Is there any software out there that can go through these xml files and through a dir of roms to see if you have those particular sets?

I can script it in bash, but wouldn't mind if someone else has already done it for me

etabeta
Send PM

#254198 - 05/10/11 06:15 PM

you can do a batch scan/rebuild with cmpro: each .xml is treated as separate dat

more details on the user manual http://mess.redump.net/mess:howto#using_software_lists_with_cmpro
but feel free to ask if you have doubts

also, notice that for most consoles (but not all, e.g. not NES) nointro sets cover most of the collection. for NES otoh (and some games for SNES and MD), we replaced the headered files with proper split dumps like in MAME. more games will need separate files in future, but the redump/verification process is slow

also notice that for MESS to find the files you have to put them in the roms folder (or in any of the rompaths you have set in mess.ini / MESSUI), not in any 'software' folder:

e.g. in roms/nes/, roms/megadriv/, roms/snes, roms/xxxx (with xxxx=name of the xml file, without xml extension )

the batch process of cmpro creates this kind of hierarchy for you, once you have decided the rompath you want

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#254213 - 05/10/11 08:52 PM

you can load all the XMLs at once by shift clicking all the XMLs (Add DatFile option) and then input the individual settings path for each directory. After which you can enter batch mode, which scans everything in 1 pass.

Very simple to maintain sets once you get all the rom paths established in profiler. Just be sure you don't remove it after it's finished

etabeta
Send PM

Re: MESS 0.142u3 new [Re: B2K24]
#254215 - 05/10/11 09:19 PM

> then input the individual settings path for each directory.

not necessary, if the first time you're going to rebuild roms to new folders: in the Properties Menu of the Batchrun (the one which pops up when you select multiple dats/profiles), go in the Misc tab and tick the "create rompath for new dat" option. you specify the root rompath where you want the roms to end up (say my_roms/) and cmpro creates for you all the necessary subfolders for the xmls, e.g. if you are scanning wswan.xml, lynx.xml and gbcolor.xml it will create automatically

my_roms/wswan/
my_roms/lynx/
my_roms/gbcolor/

Also, cmpro will set them in the profile of each dat and start to rebuild roms to the correct folder

Jred
Send PM

#254217 - 05/10/11 09:37 PM

Thanks, that's exactly what i'm looking for.

B2K24
Send PM

#254224 - 05/10/11 11:48 PM

That's awesome etabeta,

I wasn't aware it was even simpler.

Thanks for that information

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#254242 - 05/11/11 04:19 AM

> It was my understanding that it wasn't just going to go by GoodSets since there's a
> lot of, for lack of a better word, crap in there, but looking at some of the xml
> files, they are generated from Good tools.

apple2gs.xml is mostly TOSEC, actually

crowlos
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/27/05
Send PM

Re: MESS 0.142u3 new [Re: R. Belmont]
#254256 - 05/11/11 07:22 AM

Holy Toledo--the new MESS is great. MESS is so very close to being my emulator of choice for most of the console platforms just because MAME's video output is so vastly superior to every other emulator's.

Symphony of the Night was letterboxed, and with MAME/MESS's video slider options, you can turn off keep aspect ratio and stretch the screen vertically so there's no dead space. It's almost exactly 16:10.

It looks glorious. Thanks for the work on PS1 in MESS.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: MESS 0.142u3 new [Re: crowlos]
#254259 - 05/11/11 01:41 PM

Ugh. Alucard was not meant to be fat!

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

crowlos
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/27/05
Send PM

Re: MESS 0.142u3 new [Re: Firehawke]
#254325 - 05/12/11 04:32 AM

He's not fat. It's the the same aspect ratio--there's just no letterboxing.

Quantum Leaper
OCRer and Monkey Typist for Galaxy Game
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Orion spiral arm of the Milky Way
Send PM

#254494 - 05/14/11 02:53 AM

> > then input the individual settings path for each directory.
>
> not necessary, if the first time you're going to rebuild roms to new folders: in the
> Properties Menu of the Batchrun (the one which pops up when you select multiple
> dats/profiles), go in the Misc tab and tick the "create rompath for new dat" option.
> you specify the root rompath where you want the roms to end up (say my_roms/) and
> cmpro creates for you all the necessary subfolders for the xmls, e.g. if you are
> scanning wswan.xml, lynx.xml and gbcolor.xml it will create automatically
>
> my_roms/wswan/
> my_roms/lynx/
> my_roms/gbcolor/
>
> Also, cmpro will set them in the profile of each dat and start to rebuild roms to the
> correct folder

I have a question, I don't have much mess stuff, but I was wondering what the difference between the Software and Roms directories? Basically what goes in each directory?

abelenki
Super Drunk
Send PM

Re: MESS 0.142u3 new [Re: Quantum Leaper]
#254495 - 05/14/11 04:26 AM

> I have a question, I don't have much mess stuff, but I was wondering what the
> difference between the Software and Roms directories? Basically what goes in each
> directory?

ROMs directory are for all system BIOS files. and software are carts, disks, CD-ROMs, tapes, etc...

also, i suggest you to read the following documentation:

http://mess.redump.net/mess:howto

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

Quantum Leaper
Send PM

#254502 - 05/14/11 06:19 AM

> > I have a question, I don't have much mess stuff, but I was wondering what the
> > difference between the Software and Roms directories? Basically what goes in each
> > directory?
>
> ROMs directory are for all system BIOS files. and software are carts, disks, CD-ROMs,
> tapes, etc...
>
> also, i suggest you to read the following documentation:
>
> http://mess.redump.net/mess:howto

I did RTFM, in one place it seems to say it goes in the software directory and other it says it should be in the roms directory, that why I was asking.

The reason I was asking is it states that the software goes in the Roms? Example "x68k_flop.xml list, should be stored in a roms/x68k_flop/", a floppy isn't really a rom, at least not what I thought a rom should be...

So you say carts and the rest go into the Software directory, but the page you told me to read, says something different.

I guess the real question might be what goes in the Software directory?

abelenki
Super Drunk
Send PM

Re: MESS 0.142u3 new [Re: Quantum Leaper]
#254504 - 05/14/11 07:05 AM

> I guess the real question might be what goes in the Software directory?

the software (games, programs, etc.). this includes carts, tapes, CD-ROMs and other media.

ROMs folder is for system BIOS ROMs.

but you can have your own names for these folders defined in .ini file.

couple examples, how it's done on my sytem:

in mess.ini:

rompath D:\emulation\games\MESSBIOSROMs

in messui.ini:

a800_extra_software D:\emulation\games\MESSGames\400-800FDs
gba_extra_software D:\emulation\games\MESSGames\GameBoyAdvanceROMs
pce_extra_software D:\emulation\games\MESSGames\PCEngineCDs;D:\emulation\games\MESSGames\PCEngineROMs

etabeta
Send PM

incorrect new [Re: abelenki]
#254512 - 05/14/11 10:59 AM

Software directory is used *ONLY* by MESSUI Picker. It is a shortcut for the command line fullpath loading. I.e. if you have a piece of software in C:\mysoft\system\game.bin

you can either launch by command line with fullpath by typing (assuming game.bin is a cart)

mess system -cart C:\mysoft\system\game.bin

or setup in MESSUI the software directory for 'system' to be 'C:\mysoft\system\'. In the latter case, the MESSUI picker will present you game.bin (and the other files contained in C:\mysoft\system\) in the Picker tab, so that you can launch them by double clicking on the single files

THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO SOFTLISTS
It is only for usage with MESSUI and the picker (and indeed command line MESS does not use the software folder at all)

OTOH, roms/ (or any other rompath of your choice) is used to store bios files *AND* folders with software list sets. If you put, say, x68_flop/ files in a directory which is not set up as roms directory, MESS won't be able to load x68k disks through software lists. If you put it in the roms/ folder, MESS will launch it from the Software List tab.

Final remark: software list sets are expected *NOT TO WORK* with the picker. if they are floppies or tapes, they could work, but if they are carts they often won't work when loaded through the picker. so the difference between roms/ and software/ is important

Anyway, since there seems to be confusion on the subject, I will try to update the manual next week (when I'm back from a work trip) with detailed explanation about this. The software folder is currently not well described because it is a MESSUI only thing and I use MacOSX so I focused my attention on the Command Line... I will rectify this soonish

abelenki
Super Drunk
Send PM

Re: incorrect new [Re: etabeta]
#254514 - 05/14/11 11:06 AM

> Software directory is used *ONLY* by MESSUI Picker. It is a shortcut for the command
> line fullpath loading. I.e. if you have a piece of software in
> C:\mysoft\system\game.bin

yeah, so nothing is incorrect in my statement above. and, of course, i don't use software lists, because they are useless and much incomplete.

etabeta
Send PM

Re: incorrect new [Re: abelenki]
#254517 - 05/14/11 11:30 AM

> yeah, so nothing is incorrect in my statement above.

the original poster was asking explicitly about software lists (he mentioned x68k_flop) and
1. replying that roms/ is for bios only is incorrect
2. replying that software has to be put in the software/ directory could lead to think also software lists files has to be put there

don't you like to say it was incorrect? fine. it was misleading towards Quantum Leaper. is that better?

> because they are useless and much incomplete.

which ones? all of them? incomplete in which way? you should be more precise to be taken seriously in your critics...

Quantum Leaper
Send PM

#254518 - 05/14/11 11:38 AM

> OTOH, roms/ (or any other rompath of your choice) is used to store bios files *AND*
> folders with software list sets. If you put, say, x68_flop/ files in a directory
> which is not set up as roms directory, MESS won't be able to load x68k disks through
> software lists. If you put it in the roms/ folder, MESS will launch it from the
> Software List tab.
>
Thanks that exactly what I wanted to know.

B2K24
Send PM

Re: incorrect new [Re: abelenki]
#254564 - 05/15/11 02:56 AM

I wouldn't say they are useless and incomplete because alot of them are a WIP and I'm sure it's very time consuming and difficult work to actually complete them. I do appreciate what has already been done and the work currently being done.

I had some problems with things launching and such when I first started out using MESSUI or command line, but managed to solve it by putting all the BIOS files in roms directory and all the extra software directories or software lists sub directories (not sure what to exactly call it) also in roms directory.

You can change windows list view to group by type so it looks organized. Then just for kicks I put the exact path
to all the systems extra_software in MESSUI.ini

In other words, I have everything in roms directory and haven't had to create a software directory. When I had the BIOS files in a directory named BIOS and the other directories in a directory named software is when I had major problems with command line and or MESSUI with certain things failing launch.

Quantum Leaper
Send PM

Re: incorrect new [Re: B2K24]
#254581 - 05/15/11 04:48 AM

> In other words, I have everything in roms directory and haven't had to create a
> software directory. When I had the BIOS files in a directory named BIOS and the other
> directories in a directory named software is when I had major problems with command
> line and or MESSUI with certain things failing launch.

I had it set up with Bios in Roms and the other software folders in Software, but that was wrong, so I moved the Bios files to Bios directory and then moved the games cartridges to Roms then added Bios to the Rompath, now everything works good, and the folders and bios files in two different directories. Also it makes a lot more sense to me. If I had been smart, I would have add software to the Rompath, but I think I might put the software that not in the lists in the software directory.

B2K24
Send PM

Re: incorrect new [Re: Quantum Leaper]
#254589 - 05/15/11 06:23 AM

Great too hear you got everything working.

Just like MAME where the ROMs and CHDs directories are all in roms directory, I choose to have my MESS setup the same way. Also, by default when using command line it expects the BIOS files in rom path and software list directories as well so, that's how I have left it.

I can't understand why some create a directory named software unless it's really needed by tapes and floppies which I haven't tested yet.

Now, if you delete or move your MESSUI.ini out of your MESS path and delete all files in ini directory, command line fails if BIOS files and software list directories are not in roms path.

Therefore, I leave the files exactly where MESS expects them too be.

etabeta
Send PM

#254592 - 05/15/11 07:45 AM

> I can't understand why some create a directory named software unless it's really
> needed by tapes and floppies which I haven't tested yet.

because it's used by MESSUI, when you want to launch a game which is not in the software lists

etabeta
Send PM

#254593 - 05/15/11 07:59 AM

> If I had been smart, I would have add software to the Rompath, but I think I
> might put the software that not in the lists in the software directory.

if you plan to also use software which is not in the lists (e.g. software you have wrote, which is possible in the case of home computers, or some nice rom translations and hacks), it is indeed smarter to store them separately from the software list paths

anyway, the power of MAME/MESS options is exactly the flexibility: if you want to separate carts from floppies and tapes and bios and you want CDs in an external HD, you can!
assume you have the following folders to store software:

C:\emu\carts\nes\
C:\emu\carts\snes\
C:\emu\carts\gba\
C:\emu\disks\x68k_flop\
C:\emu\disks\x1_flop\
C:\emu\tapes\x1_cass\
E:\CDs\segacd\

you just need to set rompath as: "roms;C:\emu\carts;C:\emu\disks;C:\emu\tapes;E:\CDs" and you are done! MESS will find bios in roms, and everything else in the folders you used

Just be careful that you have to set the root folders, not the single system folders, and that there is a limit to the number of chars for the rompath (I think around 500), so it's good to avoid hundreds of separate folders

The option of having everything inside roms/ is otoh useful when creating the list, because you can simply throw everything inside that folder and you are ready to test the list

Quantum Leaper
Send PM

#254624 - 05/15/11 06:48 PM

> > If I had been smart, I would have add software to the Rompath, but I think I
> > might put the software that not in the lists in the software directory.
>
> if you plan to also use software which is not in the lists (e.g. software you have
> wrote, which is possible in the case of home computers, or some nice rom translations
> and hacks), it is indeed smarter to store them separately from the software list
> paths
>
I think I will do that, but I still use Vice for the C64 more than MESS, I like the ease of changing Disks and the different settings. I still play a few C64 games quite a bit, M.U.L.E. and a few others, though I will try them in MESS. I use Buddy 64 (versions 8.2 or 10) when I play around with programming on the C64, just wish my FD2000 disks were readable thats where a lot of my programming was stored on, I have more problems with 3.5 than 5.25 disks.

> anyway, the power of MAME/MESS options is exactly the flexibility: if you want to
> separate carts from floppies and tapes and bios and you want CDs in an external HD,
> you can!
>
> you just need to set rompath as: "roms;C:\emu\carts;C:\emu\disks;C:\emu\tapes;E:\CDs"
> and you are done! MESS will find bios in roms, and everything else in the folders you
> used
>
I figured that out very quick, I also use a custom folder setup for MAME, MESS is very easy, it just Roms, CDs, and Software which I will put my stuff in..

> Just be careful that you have to set the root folders, not the single system folders,
> and that there is a limit to the number of chars for the rompath (I think around
> 500), so it's good to avoid hundreds of separate folders
>
I thought it would have a limit like MAME, when I set up my friends MAME, he had stuff all over, and I ran in to the limit of the Rompath. After a little work and a bigger HD, everything works good for my friend.

> The option of having everything inside roms/ is otoh useful when creating the list,
> because you can simply throw everything inside that folder and you are ready to test
> the list

CLRMamePro doesn't seem to like having the Bios in with the Roms folders, unless I am missing an option. Lucky I don't have that many different roms for consoles so it was easy to fix, mostly systems I have real hardware for and the cartridges.

B2K24
Send PM

#254653 - 05/16/11 02:54 AM

> CLRMamePro doesn't seem to like having the Bios in with the Roms folders, unless I am
> missing an option. Lucky I don't have that many different roms for consoles so it was
> easy to fix, mostly systems I have real hardware for and the cartridges.

I don't experience this problem because the software lists have their own individual directorys, so in ClrMAME settings you point the rompath to the directory name that matches the name of the XML you're scanning.

If your scanning the mess software lists then ClrMAME should not be concerned with bios files in roms directory.

etabeta
Send PM

#254668 - 05/16/11 12:33 PM

but if you check bios roms, it might complain about the unneeded directories you use for software lists... that's why separate rompath are suggested if you are cmpro-aholic and you cannot live without perfect scan results

B2K24
Send PM

#254678 - 05/16/11 05:04 PM

Very good point and yes this does indeed happen. In my case I simply move them to their own directory before scanning and then move them back, but I can understand how others would think it's a major pain too do that.

AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Reged: 09/15/08
Loc: Pisa, Italy
Send PM

#255209 - 05/23/11 12:24 AM

Does anyone know where I can download the MESS sources 142u1, 142u2 and 142u3?

Or alternatively if you know how many files "*.c" are in the folder "src/mess/drivers"?

Thanks!

Site: https://www.progettosnaps.net/
Board: progetto-SNAPS Official Board
Twitter: @progettosnaps

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: MESS 0.142u3 new [Re: AntoPISA]
#255211 - 05/23/11 12:46 AM

Did you check here...http://mess.redump.net/downloads?

AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Send PM

Re: MESS 0.142u3 new [Re: redk9258]
#255263 - 05/23/11 08:41 AM

There he finds only version 142u3 (and only the binary)...

Site: https://www.progettosnaps.net/
Board: progetto-SNAPS Official Board
Twitter: @progettosnaps

abelenki
Super Drunk
Send PM

#255277 - 05/23/11 12:46 PM

> There he finds only version 142u3 (and only the binary)...

lol.

0.142 sources:
http://mess.redump.net/_media/downloads:mess0142s.zip

then apply 0.142u1 diff:
http://mess.redump.net/_media/downloads:mess0142u1_diff.zip

then apply 0.142u2 diff:
http://mess.redump.net/_media/downloads:mess0142u2_diff.zip

then apply 0.142u3 diff:
http://mess.redump.net/_media/downloads:mess0142u3_diff.zip

and you will have complete 0.142u3 sources.

AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Send PM

#255279 - 05/23/11 01:02 PM

You're right... But I should compile three versions of MESS.

I just need to know how many files are present, for each version, in designated folder (src/mess/drivers), only the number, if you can.

abelenki
Super Drunk
Send PM

#255281 - 05/23/11 01:08 PM

> You're right... But I should compile three versions of MESS.

then compile 0.142 first. then apply u1, and compile second. then apply u2, and compile third. then apply u3, and compile fourth.

if you need to compare four source trees, keep them in separate folders after applying updates.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#255282 - 05/23/11 01:26 PM

If he just wants to count drivers, he doesn't need to compile. Too bad you can match the "u" releases to the SVN version numbers, it would be real easy to give a count.

B2K24
Send PM

#255302 - 05/23/11 05:15 PM

0.142u1 441

0.142u2 437

0.142u3 422

AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Send PM

Re: MESS 0.142u3 new [Re: B2K24]
#255303 - 05/23/11 05:22 PM

Many thanks...

You have been very kind!

Edit: Soon understand the reason for my little curiosity ...

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: MESS 0.142u3 new [Re: crowlos]
#255320 - 05/23/11 09:10 PM

> He's not fat. It's the the same aspect ratio--there's just no letterboxing.

SOTN renders to 4:3 256x224 (which minimizes how bad the PS1's lack of fill rate hurts when doing a lot of parallax layers) and it's sometimes difficult to get emulators to give you proper 4:3 out of that.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 209 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5260