MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

deimos256
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/14/11
Send PM

Asteroids Bezel renders game unplayable????
#253825 - 05/06/11 03:05 AM

I am relatively new to Mame and artwork etc, but I am running mameui64 v.139 and all the bezels I have work perfect except for Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe. Both games are unplayably slow unless artwork is turned off. At first I thought this might be due to vector issues, but I just tried Battle Zone with its respective bezel with no slowdown whatsoever. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated as I feel I am really missing out running these two games with no artwork. Thanks kindly.

Ad_Enuff
MAME Artwork Project
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: London, UK
Send PM

Re: Asteroids Bezel renders game unplayable???? new [Re: deimos256]
#253849 - 05/06/11 02:45 PM

> I am relatively new to Mame and artwork etc, but I am running mameui64 v.139 and all
> the bezels I have work perfect except for Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe. Both games
> are unplayable, slow unless artwork is turned off. At first I thought this might be
> due to vector issues, but I just tried Battle Zone with its respective bezel with no
> slowdown whatsoever. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated as I feel I am really
> missing out running these two games with no artwork. Thanks kindly.

What is your PC spec and what's your graphics card? Graphics cards must have a bare minimum of 64Mb of RAM to deal with the new hi-res artwork.

Ad_Enuff
MAME Hi-Res CD & DVD Covers / MAME Artwork Project

My current MAME system PC Specs: AMD Quad CORE 3.60GHz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, ATI RADEON HD 6570 1Gb RAM, DirectX 11 & 9.0c, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

deimos256
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Asteroids Bezel renders game unplayable???? new [Re: Ad_Enuff]
#253852 - 05/06/11 03:24 PM

I don't have it in front of me but off the top if my head it's a laptop, and x64 dual core at about 2 ghz maybe 2.3. Ram is I believe 2 gigs and graphics is integrated. I understand the graphics being a choke point but I hVe high Rez artwork for many other games and have no issues with it. Also I am running battle zone with artwork so I don't think it's a vector issue. Operating system is win7 pro x64. The ram might be 3 or 4 gig I honestly can't remember but I know while running mameui 64 the system isn't being maxed out.

Ad_Enuff
MAME Artwork Project
Send PM

#253853 - 05/06/11 03:31 PM

> I don't have it in front of me but off the top if my head it's a laptop, and x64 dual
> core at about 2 ghz maybe 2.3. Ram is I believe 2 gigs and graphics is integrated. I
> understand the graphics being a choke point but I hVe high Rez artwork for many other
> games and have no issues with it. Also I am running battle zone with artwork so I
> don't think it's a vector issue. Operating system is win7 pro x64. The ram might be 3
> or 4 gig I honestly can't remember but I know while running mameui 64 the system
> isn't being maxed out.

Spec wise there doesn't seem to be any obvious issues other than the mentioned integrated graphics, but I'm sure its greater than 64Mb. Have you performed a new install by renaming your current folder adding _OLD to it and then installing a fresh new copy and then restarting MAMEUI so it recreates all files from scratch again? Failing that use the standard MAME.EXE and use a Frontend

Ad_Enuff

My current MAME system PC Specs: AMD Quad CORE 3.60GHz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, ATI RADEON HD 6570 1Gb RAM, DirectX 11 & 9.0c, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

deimos256
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Asteroids Bezel renders game unplayable???? new [Re: Ad_Enuff]
#253859 - 05/06/11 05:46 PM

I'll give that a try. Off the top of my head would just wiping out the config file for asteroids work? I'm not sure where it's located but I'd like to give that a try first. Also would wiping out the mameui cfg file work?

Ad_Enuff
MAME Artwork Project
Send PM

#253861 - 05/06/11 06:22 PM

> I'll give that a try. Off the top of my head would just wiping out the config file
> for asteroids work? I'm not sure where it's located but I'd like to give that a try
> first. Also would wiping out the mameui cfg file work?

Delete the cfg files and the mameui ini. Then restart mameui

Ad_Enuff

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

#253885 - 05/07/11 03:45 AM

> I am relatively new to Mame and artwork etc, but I am running mameui64 v.139 and all
> the bezels I have work perfect except for Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe. Both games
> are unplayably slow unless artwork is turned off. At first I thought this might be
> due to vector issues, but I just tried Battle Zone with its respective bezel with no
> slowdown whatsoever. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated as I feel I am really
> missing out running these two games with no artwork. Thanks kindly.

Reported awhile ago at mametesters:

http://www.mametesters.org/view.php?id=4176

Still not sure why it's happening yet.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

deimos256
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Asteroids Bezel renders game unplayable???? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#253941 - 05/08/11 12:10 AM

Yea I tried everything and can't get it to run fast. Not a huge deal I can live without the artwork. It looks to me through my limited knowledge like even though it's configured to run through directdraw it looks like d3d when it's loaded with art.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 620 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4880