View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Mame & USB2VGA
#251942 - 04/16/11 05:30 PM

Hi,

I decided to go ahead and buy several of these adapters to have more screens on my desk (hoping for 6) so I can code and do stuff. I got a dedicated display for Mame. I have tried several times in the settings to get it to display properly.

It works perfectly with everything I have (including PC games) and I am quite happy with the adapters.

It displays Mame32 fine, but when you go in game it reverts to the main display which is the monitor connected to my PC card. Is there any way I can trick Mame into using this USB2VGA as the main display?

Oh I am using Windows 7/64 with 8gb and a 2.6 dual core. Mame32 0.84.

Thanks in advance.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Mame & USB2VGA new [Re: ]
#251949 - 04/16/11 07:24 PM

> Hi,
>
> I decided to go ahead and buy several of these adapters to have more screens on my
> desk (hoping for 6) so I can code and do stuff. I got a dedicated display for Mame. I
> have tried several times in the settings to get it to display properly.
>
> It works perfectly with everything I have (including PC games) and I am quite happy
> with the adapters.
>
> It displays Mame32 fine, but when you go in game it reverts to the main display which
> is the monitor connected to my PC card. Is there any way I can trick Mame into using
> this USB2VGA as the main display?
>
> Oh I am using Windows 7/64 with 8gb and a 2.6 dual core. Mame32 0.84.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I know from command-line if you have multiple monitors you can choose which monitor is your primary. I don't know when that feature was added - it may have been after MAME 0.84. I haven't used MAME32/UI in a while so I don't know where to find it in the interface.

- Stiletto

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: Mame & USB2VGA new [Re: Stiletto]
#251957 - 04/16/11 09:13 PM

The big question I'd have is if the thing can even do DirectDraw or Direct3D acceleration. It's going to be pretty much useless without one or the other.

Somehow I doubt it has either.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Mame & USB2VGA new [Re: Firehawke]
#251969 - 04/17/11 02:17 AM

Why? When I do not enable either.

To answer your question it supports both. But that is not my problem. How can I make Mame32 think I am using monitor 3 as my main monitor?

If it cannot perform the function, which version can I use to make it work?

Thanks in advance.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#251970 - 04/17/11 02:17 AM

> Oh I am using Windows 7/64 with 8gb and a 2.6 dual core. Mame32 0.84.

Multi-head was added in 0.107 (it wasn't possible the old way video way handled), so you're screwed.

Lando242
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/06
Send PM

#251981 - 04/17/11 05:38 AM

You need to upgrade to a newer version of MAME if I remember correctly. The version you are using is 7 years old and probably does not have the feature you're looking for. Also, MAME32 is called MAMEUI now and is up to version .142. MAMEUI website.

BTW where did you even find that antique? Have you really been using it for 7 years without upgrading?

Lando242

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

#252002 - 04/17/11 12:23 PM

Arguably, the bulk of important games were added by .37, and important developments occured by .69 - but, .84 is preddy old. Multiple displays was available by at least .104 , but if what RB said is something you need, you might as well move up to at least .107 .

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Mame & USB2VGA new [Re: Lando242]
#252009 - 04/17/11 01:44 PM

Yeah,

I had an older PC system and it ran great on it. I did not touch the later versions because it ran too slowly, especially dkong and mrdot. Version .84 pretty much does what I want it to do without the bloat.

I'll upgrade to 14x and I will have a look a the new settings. I'm not looking forward to upgrading all my collection, but since I only play like 20 games, it should be a relatively straight through process for them.

Thanks for answering my question.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#252039 - 04/17/11 08:28 PM

> Yeah,
>
> I had an older PC system and it ran great on it. I did not touch the later versions
> because it ran too slowly, especially dkong and mrdot.

You'll love the newer versions, now that you have a fast enough machine (I think you had said you'd upgraded?) The new accurate colors and sound in dkong are a relevation.

> Version .84 pretty much does
> what I want it to do without the bloat.

I understand what you're trying to say, but "bloat" is the wrong word for it, and comes across as essentially trolling by using that word.

> I'll upgrade to 14x and I will have a look a the new settings. I'm not looking
> forward to upgrading all my collection, but since I only play like 20 games, it
> should be a relatively straight through process for them.

CLRMamePro will help you.

Just be wary: MAMEUI 0.142 has some serious issues. Either stick with MAMEUI 0.141 or a U-release compile, or start using MAME 0.142 itself with a frontend like Emuloader or MAMEPGUI or MALA or something, until it is (one way or another) resolved.

- Stiletto

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Mame & USB2VGA new [Re: Stiletto]
#252053 - 04/18/11 01:10 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

I'll look at 107+ and work from there. I have Cube Quest and Firefox CHDs so I guess I will have to use .84 in CoinOPS and use the later builds with the PC for the 20 odd games I only play. It would be nice to see how this adapter plays Mame.

Thanks again for all your help guys.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#252058 - 04/18/11 01:52 AM

> I have Cube Quest and Firefox CHDs so I guess I will have to use .84 in CoinOPS

There's a way to use CHDMAN to fix your old CHDs so that they'll work with later versions of MAME. Don't ask me how though.

S

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Mame & USB2VGA new [Re: Sune]
#252080 - 04/18/11 05:03 AM

Code:

chdman -update firefox.chd

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Mame & USB2VGA new [Re: Naoki]
#252653 - 04/23/11 07:00 PM

I got USB2VGA working in Mame and it is slow.

It is a shame, but I guess the device is only good for documents and simple applications.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 113 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1860