Pages: 1

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

HP => Incompetent repair techs?
#251818 - 04/15/11 01:17 AM

Don't mind me, I just want to vent. I deal with the equipment my company uses- printers, cameras, ipaq handhelds. I clearly identified an issue with the SD card slot not reading cards on an ipaq enterprise 211. Multiple cards not recognized at all. Talked to someone, sent it in. Just got it back today, set it up like any other device, copied required files onto an SD card, put the card into the ipaq. Nothing. Not recognized. WTH? Took a look at the note in the shipping box:

"We would like to inform you about the IPAQ's SD card issue. Your IPAQ is in perfect working order. After hours of strenuous testing, we did not find anything wrong with your unit. The SD card slot read audio, video, and documents..."

"strenuous testing"? Really? After the one card, I tried two others, one directly from an ipaq that had no trouble reading it. Still nothing. So I called them up, ready to explain my issue and send it back. The tech support person tells me that since the repair techs found nothing wrong with the SD card slot, I can't sent it back for the same repair. Say what now?!? Someone over there is either lying or incompetent, so even if I somehow show clear proof of the issue such as recording the ipaq not reading a card just removed from another ipaq that had no problem, you're saying I still can't send it back for proper repair? She was more than willing to give me useless advice to try though- format the card, go to a store and try several cards... Okay, when that advice fails, then can I send it back? Nope. THEN WHY AM I EVEN BOTHERING?

Okay, breathe... I asked about the SD card they used- she can't give me the information, and can't (won't?) give me information on getting a hold of someone who can, or can explain to me anything about what the techs did to test this device. Look, I know what the problem is- there is a pin not making proper contact. If I take out the CF card cover and shove a stylus down against the left side (no I didn't tell them I did this- any excuse to break a warranty you know), miracle of miracles- the card can be read! But what can I do with this information? Nothing, since they have deemed it to be in "perfect working order."

Poor, poor business practices.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Did you ask them if they had a 27B/6? new [Re: Qun Mang]
#251820 - 04/15/11 01:33 AM

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

I want to laugh... new [Re: GatKong]
#251823 - 04/15/11 02:23 AM

...but your clip doesn't seem to be working right now.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: HP => Incompetent repair techs? new [Re: Qun Mang]
#251824 - 04/15/11 03:10 AM

> "strenuous testing"? Really?

HP used to be an excellent company, with terrific quality products.

But alas, they are a shadow of their former selves now.

I purchased a HP 22 inch LCD monitor a few years back, and it was about 13 months old when it developed a nasty fault (the entire screen image would turn to static after a random amount of time).

LCD monitors should out last CRT monitors - so they should last 15+ years (all of my CRTs have lasted well over 15 years). e.g. I've still got a 14 inch colour Osbourne CRT monitor here that works perfectly (20+ years old) and an old 17 inch no-name CRT that I purchased with my Pentium 100 back in 1996 and it's still working fine. Hell, I've got some old AT's and XT's in the shed, and their ancient 25+ year old monitors work fine as well.

While many other LCD monitors seem to have 3 or more years warranties as standard, HP only have 1 year (or at least this monitor did).

And HP's shit monitors only last 13 months. Up yours HP. I'll never buy HP again.

Moose's quote of the day:
Confucious say: "Man with one watch know what time it is. Man with two watches never sure. But, Man with 3 watches is fault tolerant !"

Moose

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Strange... new [Re: Qun Mang]
#251827 - 04/15/11 04:59 AM

... it's just a basic embed. It continues to work for me, must be some bug in your set-up perhaps?

But check this link for it...

Central Services pays a visit.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

Re: Strange... new [Re: GatKong]
#251830 - 04/15/11 05:16 AM

Dunno. Embed still didn't work- just a black screen after pressing play. Maybe adblocker- one of my extensions for sure. The link worked though. The HVAC guys were a riot. Seems the missing form 27B(stroke)6 was a lifesaver. If only a 27B etc. would work with HP...

edit: Yep, adblocker. The embed wanted to play a commercial.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#251831 - 04/15/11 05:20 AM

> Poor, poor business practices.

Yes, HP is complete and utter shit these days. Their products are shoddy, and their "tech support" is specifically designed to give you the runaround until you give up and go away.

My wife had a laptop that was just under a year old that was suddenly incredibly sensitive to ESD. You'd shift your position on the couch on a winter's day and it would instantly lock up. I called tech support to get it serviced before the warranty ran out, and they jerked me around for *nine solid hours* over three days. I did my best to go along with their "troubleshooting" process, jumping through all of their stupid hoops, and at the end, they basically declined to fix the machine.

My wife stuck it out another six months with the stupid thing, then ended up getting a Mac. So now we have an 18-month old laptop that is basically a paperweight. Eventually, I'll tear it apart and see if I can find anything obviously wrong. If I can't get it working, I'd really like to find someone with a backyard trebuchet and see what kind of distance we can get with it.

So, yeah, HP can pretty much curl up and die for all I care. It's a shame, too, they used to make decent products.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#251833 - 04/15/11 05:32 AM

I used to work for an authorized HP service center in the early 2000's. It was the local mom-n-pop computer chain, but they had paid to become authorized... so my suggestions are dated, but see below.

Solutions:
1. Try walking it into your local HP authorized service center, even if you have to travel to the nearest Large City.
http://h20465.www2.hp.com/gpl/search.aspx?language_code=en&country_code=us&SearchType=SSP
This list isn't always up to date, you might be better off to use Google or call around to find a certified HP tech or service center.

I know most are no longer authorized, but it's worth a shot.

2. Try finding something else wrong with it (wipe out the software somehow?) and send it in, and ask to fix both issues.

3. If it's nearly out of warranty: some warranties (probably not HP) permit getting it fixed locally, then submitting for reimbursement. But there's a risk you could never get repaid.

4. Fuck the warranty and try to fix it yourself or fix it locally.

- Stiletto

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

Re: HP => Incompetent repair techs? new [Re: Stiletto]
#251849 - 04/15/11 06:22 AM

> I used to work for an authorized HP service center in the early 2000's. It was the
> local mom-n-pop computer chain, but they had paid to become authorized... so my
> suggestions are dated, but see below.
>
> Solutions:
> 1. Try walking it into your local HP authorized service center, even if you have to
> travel to the nearest Large City.
> http://h20465.www2.hp.com/gpl/search.aspx?language_code=en&country_code=us&SearchType=SSP
> This list isn't always up to date, you might be better off to use Google or call
> around to find a certified HP tech or service center.
>
> I know most are no longer authorized, but it's worth a shot.
>

Partner locater doesn't have ipaq as an option. Now that's old, as ipaq has been around for over ten years. Still, if I choose "Compaq tablet," something pretty close, it does list a bunch of places. I wonder who is still in business?

> 2. Try finding something else wrong with it (wipe out the software somehow?) and send
> it in, and ask to fix both issues.

Might as well crack the screen to make it an expensive repair for them if it comes to this. Hey, it's under warranty until the end of the year. Of course they'll just say it's not covered. I don't think we got accidental damage plans on this batch.

>
> 3. If it's nearly out of warranty: some warranties (probably not HP) permit getting
> it fixed locally, then submitting for reimbursement. But there's a risk you could
> never get repaid.
>

As mentioned above, I still have over half a year on the warranty.

> 4. Fuck the warranty and try to fix it yourself or fix it locally.
>

Now this is the way to do it. I just have about six in front awaiting repair- I'll probably end up taking the screens from the ones with misc. issues and put them on the three with broken screens- too expensive to replace screens. Hopefully the screens aren't soldered to the board- my fine motor skills are pathetic and I have destroyed more than one board as a result...

> - Stiletto

Thanks for the suggestions.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#251854 - 04/15/11 07:34 AM

> Partner locater doesn't have ipaq as an option. Now that's old, as ipaq has been
> around for over ten years. Still, if I choose "Compaq tablet," something pretty
> close, it does list a bunch of places. I wonder who is still in business

Apparently that link is really old. I just found this other one:
http://vdccnzitg.houston.hp.com/GPL/sear...;SearchType=HHO

which came from the following link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/contacthp?lc=en&cc=us&product=425747
under: "Find HP Service center or reseller"

Which lists iPaq as an option. And believe it or not (for me on the East Coast of the US), punched in a search radius of 500 miles and I found PC Connection. Yeah, the same guys as the catalog. The listing is MOST LIKELY listing resellers, but then again, there's this:
http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/PM/Brands/ServiceConnection/PartsAndRepair

Although, some combination of the old list and the new list might work for you.

PS. Are you sure that a loose pin in the memory card slot is covered by warranty? No offense, but it seems to me they could very well deny that based on "severe use" or something like that...

- Stiletto

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: HP => Incompetent repair techs? new [Re: Stiletto]
#251855 - 04/15/11 07:40 AM

You could also try something like this:
http://www.ipaqrepair.com/
Out of warranty repair, if you don't trust your fine motor skills (I certainly don't trust my own these days...)
You'd probably end up spending more than the handheld is currently worth.

- Stiletto

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

#251899 - 04/15/11 07:59 PM

> Don't mind me, I just want to vent. I deal with the equipment my company uses-
> printers, cameras, ipaq handhelds. I clearly identified an issue with the SD card
> slot not reading cards on an ipaq enterprise 211. Multiple cards not recognized at
> all. Talked to someone, sent it in. Just got it back today, set it up like any other
> device, copied required files onto an SD card, put the card into the ipaq. Nothing.
> Not recognized. WTH? Took a look at the note in the shipping box:
>
> "We would like to inform you about the IPAQ's SD card issue. Your IPAQ is in perfect
> working order. After hours of strenuous testing, we did not find anything wrong with
> your unit. The SD card slot read audio, video, and documents..."
>
> "strenuous testing"? Really? After the one card, I tried two others, one directly
> from an ipaq that had no trouble reading it. Still nothing. So I called them up,
> ready to explain my issue and send it back. The tech support person tells me that
> since the repair techs found nothing wrong with the SD card slot, I can't sent it
> back for the same repair. Say what now?!? Someone over there is either lying or
> incompetent, so even if I somehow show clear proof of the issue such as recording the
> ipaq not reading a card just removed from another ipaq that had no problem, you're
> saying I still can't send it back for proper repair? She was more than willing to
> give me useless advice to try though- format the card, go to a store and try several
> cards... Okay, when that advice fails, then can I send it back? Nope. THEN WHY AM I
> EVEN BOTHERING?
>
> Okay, breathe... I asked about the SD card they used- she can't give me the
> information, and can't (won't?) give me information on getting a hold of someone who
> can, or can explain to me anything about what the techs did to test this device.
> Look, I know what the problem is- there is a pin not making proper contact. If I take
> out the CF card cover and shove a stylus down against the left side (no I didn't tell
> them I did this- any excuse to break a warranty you know), miracle of miracles- the
> card can be read! But what can I do with this information? Nothing, since they have
> deemed it to be in "perfect working order."
>
> Poor, poor business practices.

The company been going down the drain since the late 90's.

Kevin Eshbach

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

Thanks for the update new [Re: Stiletto]
#251917 - 04/15/11 11:27 PM

> PS. Are you sure that a loose pin in the memory card slot is covered by warranty? No
> offense, but it seems to me they could very well deny that based on "severe use" or
> something like that...
>
> - Stiletto

Not sure at all now. Probably not worth paying to fix it though if HP refuses since the CF slot still works fine. I do know this started happening only after the one using it somehow lost the SD card that was in it. She's one of the more trustworthy ones, so if she had dropped it she would have told me.

msbhvn
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/29/08
Loc: Teh Internet!!1
Send PM

Re: Thanks for the update new [Re: Qun Mang]
#251922 - 04/16/11 02:24 AM

My current PC is an HP. It has a flip-down cover on the DVD drive that obscures the eject button when open, making it impossible to close the drive without pushing the drive tray. How did that get past their design team? Did they never use the DVD drive, ever?

Those guys at Narcotics Anonymous are assholes, I told them I have a 3 litre a day Coke habit and they kicked me out!

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Thanks for the update new [Re: msbhvn]
#251926 - 04/16/11 05:12 AM

> My current PC is an HP. It has a flip-down cover on the DVD drive that obscures the
> eject button when open, making it impossible to close the drive without pushing the
> drive tray. How did that get past their design team? Did they never use the DVD
> drive, ever?

First hit in a google search..maybe you can use it:

http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=5d207342-6680-44e9-bf21-0e38267101a5

S

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Am I the only one new [Re: Qun Mang]
#251928 - 04/16/11 06:28 AM

Who wonders why you're still using iPaq's? Aren't those out of production for years now? I work in the I.T. support field and probably the last time I've seen an iPaq was at least 2006-ish.

IRRC they didn't have much in the storage capcity, especially compared to what today's devices can do. You'd be lucky to get a full day's e-mails and calendar items before it was full.

I curious, which models are you using?

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

Re: Am I the only one new [Re: Hizzout]
#251929 - 04/16/11 06:45 AM

Ipaqs are very much still on the market, though for how much longer who knows. We use Enterprise 210s and 211s.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: Am I the only one new [Re: Qun Mang]
#251930 - 04/16/11 06:58 AM

Huh...whew knew? I guess the advertising of all the smart phones and iPhones/iPads have totally overshadowed the iPaq.

To be honest I'm wondering how they can even really compete.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Am I the only one new [Re: Hizzout]
#251951 - 04/16/11 07:32 PM

> Huh...whew knew? I guess the advertising of all the smart phones and iPhones/iPads
> have totally overshadowed the iPaq.
>
> To be honest I'm wondering how they can even really compete.

Considering the specs of the 211 and the nature of its five-year-old OS, they can't.

I can only assume Qun Mang's company is tied into some contract, or required to use some antiquated Windows CE app, or something.

- Stiletto

msbhvn
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/29/08
Loc: Teh Internet!!1
Send PM

Re: Thanks for the update new [Re: Sune]
#251972 - 04/17/11 02:58 AM

Thanks for that, Sune, but I made my own program in C# to open and close the tray. I just pointed it out as an epic fail on the part of the case designers and HP to let a product get to market with such a critical flaw. That and the OP's experience with warranty repairs has convinced me never to buy HP again.

Those guys at Narcotics Anonymous are assholes, I told them I have a 3 litre a day Coke habit and they kicked me out!

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Send PM

Re: Am I the only one new [Re: Stiletto]
#251978 - 04/17/11 04:26 AM

> >
> > To be honest I'm wondering how they can even really compete.
>
> Considering the specs of the 211 and the nature of its five-year-old OS, they can't.
>
> I can only assume Qun Mang's company is tied into some contract, or required to use
> some antiquated Windows CE app, or something.
>
> - Stiletto

The latter. In fact, the app we're using was designed for an even earlier version of the OS, though which I don't know. The company we use just patches it from time to time. This part of the wikipedia ipaq article worries me:

Quote:

In December 2009, HP released the iPAQ Glisten, running on Windows Mobile 6.5. As of April 2011, no new models have been announced. HP continues to advertise the 111 series and the Glisten on its website, however. As such, the status and fate of the iPAQ line is vastly unclear.

With ipaq's future uncertain, I hope they are already working on moving the software to something more current. Does ipad support printing over wifi? That would be a logical next step for it, assuming Apple even allows enterprise apps. There's always android honeycomb too.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 144 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2280