Pages: 1

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Kicked out of MAME!?
#251723 - 04/13/11 07:00 PM

Using Alt+Tab immediately after getting kicked out of MAME while playing a game I seen that Comodo AV was doing something at just the (in)convenient time. Is there a setting in MAME so that when something like this happens I'm not kicked out (and MAME is automatically minimized)?

Or would it be simple as setting it to always on top...? I don't see anyway to do that, but doesn't hurt to ask.

LEVEL-4

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Kicked out of MAME!? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#251741 - 04/13/11 11:13 PM

> Using Alt+Tab immediately after getting kicked out of MAME while playing a game I
> seen that Comodo AV was doing something at just the (in)convenient time. Is there a
> setting in MAME so that when something like this happens I'm not kicked out (and MAME
> is automatically minimized)

Then shouldn't you be looking for a setting in Comodo AV instead of MAME?

Unless I'm misreading you.

S

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Kicked out of MAME!? new [Re: Sune]
#251751 - 04/14/11 03:51 AM

> Then shouldn't you be looking for a setting in Comodo AV instead of MAME?
>
> Unless I'm misreading you.
>
> S

That was my other thought, but I was too enraged at the time of making that post. & I wasn't trying to place the blame on the MAME application, just wanting to know if there were a more preventative measure.

In Comodo I've set; Preferences, and unchecked 'Automatically check for updates'.

Or I could check for updates manually before I start playing around in MAME. I've always had that thought everytime that's happened.

I know their intentions mean well. But.... Just.... Why?

LEVEL-4

Lando242
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/27/06
Send PM

#251754 - 04/14/11 04:06 AM

Some security programs like that have a "silent mode" or "gaming mode", see if you can enable that. Basically they shut the hell up about updates and stuff for exactly the reason you got kicked from your game. They still preform the update and all that just don't tell you about it. If it doesn't have such a mode, well, I'd look into using a different program. If you do decide to change don't forget to bitch them out about their lack of this feature, maybe they'll add it sometime down the line.

Lando242

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#251758 - 04/14/11 04:35 AM

> Using Alt+Tab immediately after getting kicked out of MAME while playing a game I
> seen that Comodo AV was doing something at just the (in)convenient time. Is there a
> setting in MAME so that when something like this happens I'm not kicked out (and MAME
> is automatically minimized)?

Comodo is always doing this to me.

Install a new game, run it, Comodo comes up, but you can't actually get to the dialog (Alt Tab flashes it up to quickly to do anything with, etc). Sometimes it causes deadlock - the game cannot proceed and I cannot get to the Comodo dialog, so I have to kill of the game, check "Remember my answer" and click the "Allow" button in the Comodo dialog, and re-run game.

It's the price you pay for security.

Moose

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Um, use a different app? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#251840 - 04/15/11 06:04 AM

I've been using MSE for the last few months or so, and AMAZINGLY it's been the most carefree AV I've used in my life.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Um, use a different app? new [Re: mogli]
#251852 - 04/15/11 06:29 AM

> I've been using MSE for the last few months or so, and AMAZINGLY it's been the most
> carefree AV I've used in my life.

...Last few months? I used to use that but the almost daily updates... everytime that would happen I could hardly do anything. Like browsing... I think I just escaped out of MAME because I knew what it was going to do.

I posted/ranted/griped about MSE in the Bin more than once, like making snide remarks about the "progress bar" getting up to so much, like, 80 or 90'ish %, and it still taking a long (if not longer) time to finish.

Then again, that has been prior to when I fixed those other web-browsing difficulties, like not being able to get to certain sites because something in my internet settings got molested somehow mysteriously a long time ago.

Edited by T0M (04/15/11 06:57 AM)

LEVEL-4

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

Re: Um, use a different app? new [Re: mogli]
#251866 - 04/15/11 02:04 PM

> I've been using MSE for the last few months or so, and AMAZINGLY it's been the most
> carefree AV I've used in my life.

Agreed. I run Avast and the new MSE on different machines and I have to admit, MSE is definitely competitive. From my experience, it produces fewer false positives and is generally less intrusive at the expense of a slightly larger (~80mb) memory footprint. If MS would add more features like sandboxing and self-protection I wouldn't really have any reason to run anything else.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Um, use a different app? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#251898 - 04/15/11 07:54 PM

> > I've been using MSE for the last few months or so, and AMAZINGLY it's been the most
> > carefree AV I've used in my life.
>
> ...Last few months? I used to use that but the almost daily updates... everytime that
> would happen I could hardly do anything. Like browsing... I think I just escaped out
> of MAME because I knew what it was going to do.
>
> I posted/ranted/griped about MSE in the Bin more than once, like making snide remarks
> about the "progress bar" getting up to so much, like, 80 or 90'ish %, and it still
> taking a long (if not longer) time to finish.
>
>
> Then again, that has been prior to when I fixed those other web-browsing
> difficulties, like not being able to get to certain sites because something in my
> internet settings got molested somehow mysteriously a long time ago.

I'm sorry man, but Comodo has to be the single most infuriating virus scanner I've ever used. It wouldn't even let me play video games - it insisted on scanning ANYTHING LOADED INTO MEMORY. Something that takes thirty seconds to load on my PC suddenly took an hour.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 469 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2437