MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Update @ Charles MacDonald's: DECO cassette drive overview
#251511 - 04/11/11 06:16 PM

http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

"Please make your dumps 44100Hz or higher" new [Re: Smitdogg]
#251515 - 04/11/11 06:24 PM

> http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/

cool.

S

Charles MacDonald
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/06/08
Send PM

Re: "Please make your dumps 44100Hz or higher" new [Re: Sune]
#251517 - 04/11/11 06:36 PM

Actually I was told 48000 Hz or above is even better.
Maybe I should change it.

Apparently we had some 44100 Hz dumps that were bad.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: "Please make your dumps 44100Hz or higher" new [Re: Charles MacDonald]
#251518 - 04/11/11 06:39 PM

Basically people need to make their dumps from the highest point possible in order to maximize the turd splashback.

Charles MacDonald
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/06/08
Send PM

Re: "Please make your dumps 44100Hz or higher" new [Re: Smitdogg]
#251520 - 04/11/11 06:49 PM

OK I rewrote the offending line so people are clear about what kind of dumps we are making.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#251523 - 04/11/11 06:53 PM

There's no need for that. Clearly after they read your post they know they are taking these dumps at their own risk. Dumping at this frequency is usually reserved for people with dysentery so they know the risk of building the laxative circuit you have constructed. Out of pure brawn.

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Send PM

Re: Update @ Charles MacDonald's: DECO cassette drive overview new [Re: Smitdogg]
#251526 - 04/11/11 07:11 PM

> http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/

This is great news - thumbs up to you & Charles here

Btw Smit, does Al K. have some undumped casettes on hand that he was supposed to dump?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Update @ Charles MacDonald's: DECO cassette drive overview new [Re: twisty]
#251527 - 04/11/11 07:15 PM

Yeah but I don't really know him and he seems constantly busy with other stuff. I think he has Angler Dangler(?) and a Japanese quiz one(?). I'm pretty sure he will send them to Charles to dump but I haven't talked to him about it. We could also use his pinout for reading the dongles.

Daveyuk
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/06/11
Send PM

Awesome 80`s bring it too me ;) new [Re: Smitdogg]
#251529 - 04/11/11 07:24 PM

Thanks everybody for there super work in this feat, and good luck dumping and get hold of Al K

Onwards

Edited by Daveyuk (04/11/11 07:24 PM)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Update @ Charles MacDonald's: DECO cassette drive overview new [Re: Smitdogg]
#251547 - 04/11/11 11:09 PM

Super awesome update imo.

I hope a lot of Charles info also makes its way into the driver file as well to add to what LN already mentions or update some of LN's notes if need be.

http://mamedev.org/source/src/mame/drivers/decocass.c.html

>We could also use his pinout for reading the dongles.

That too so the driver file will be very complete with hardware documentation since it's getting harder to find that type of hardware these days.

>I think he has Angler Dangler(?) and a Japanese quiz one(?).

I believe it is this item iirc.
--
http://unmamed.mameworld.info/non_dataeast.html#DecoCass

DS TeleJang (6/81)
--

I recall Mr. Goodwraith had mentioned they lost an auction for a Super Doubles cassette when they were probably bidding for Angler Dangler at around same time.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

#251548 - 04/11/11 11:19 PM

>Apparently we had some 44100 Hz dumps that were bad.

http://mamedev.org/source/src/mame/drivers/decocass.c.html

I guess that means some entries will be tagged as having bad data dumps and tapes have to be found again?

I look forward to seeing your work and Al's contributions be added to the cassette driver sometime later.

*o/t*

For any folks that weren't around MAME.net forum many years ago, Juergen B. did initial work in 2000 and 2001. Old MAME wip update in spring 2001.

--
2001-02-12

Jürgen Buchmüller sent in an updated DECO Cassette system driver with support for Bump N Jump / Burnin' Rubber, Burger Time, Graplop / Cluster Buster, La.Pa.Pa / Rootin' Tootin', Fighting Ice Hockey, Pro Bowling, Night Star, Pro Soccer and Peter Pepper's Ice Cream Factory, but the games still lack some graphics.
--

Juergen had posted on MAME.net forum of how the tapes were recorded. I never saved that post and missed the technical details that Juergen had mentioned in the post of tapes were recorded. Another reason of why all that stuff should be in MAME source code whenever possible.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Update @ Charles MacDonald's: DECO cassette drive overview *edited* new [Re: Smitdogg]
#251549 - 04/11/11 11:41 PM

I hope some preliminary Kee Games Quiz Show driver can be added since Quiz Show roms have already been dumped. As for tapes data, that's on the needed list....assuming any of the tapes and its data contents are still readable these days.

Quiz Show flyer: http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=846

I forgot to mention about Quiz Show does appear to make use of a s2650 cpu. Info came from Al Kossow back around 2004 or 2005. iirc dwidel had mentioned that the Quiz Show manual sort of tried to hide that piece of info, but Al Kossow did post that on old MAME.net forum years ago.

And Ramtek Trivia is still on my old time non-cpu games list. Cabs, tapes, pcbs, manuals, schematics are accounted for (credits to angera, italie, Frank, iritis, Smit, and Mr. Do) with one set of proms dumped from a pcb a few years ago and another Trivia pcb to eventually be dumped as well. italie had made backups of tapes, and "mw" did partially decode one of the tapes in 2009 iirc to show what the data would look like if it were displayed on the monitor.

Non-cpu emulation is still some ways off, but some folks (italie, siftware, Frank P., myself) do have paperwork (Trivia manual and or Trivia schematics) along with two Trivia cabs so this at least does have a slight chance of being emulated....it's just that emulating Trivia would be a truckload project itself compared to emulating a couple of the various pong clones or maybe Stunt Cycle. The Trivia schematics looks like a 7 page (ledger size 11x17) nightmare compared to other non-cpu video games. The game might appear to have a simple operation....nothing elaborate, but schematics show otherwise. ;-)

Trivia flyer: http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=2605

Edited by gregf (04/12/11 12:15 AM)

Kale
Il Sindaco
Reged: 09/26/03
Loc: Naples, Italy
Send PM

Re: Update @ Charles MacDonald's: DECO cassette drive overview *edited* new [Re: gregf]
#251557 - 04/12/11 01:43 AM

> I hope some preliminary Kee Games Quiz Show driver can be added since Quiz Show roms
> have already been dumped. As for tapes data, that's on the needed list....assuming
> any of the tapes and its data contents are still readable these days.
>
> Quiz Show flyer:
> http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=846
>
>

Honestly, I've never ever seen any rom set regarding this one, that's why the skeleton driver wasn't done so far ...

TheGuru
MAMEDev Dumper
Reged: 06/13/04
Loc: Dumpville
Send PM

Re: "Please make your dumps 44100Hz or higher" new [Re: Smitdogg]
#251624 - 04/12/11 01:49 PM

> There's no need for that. Clearly after they read your post they know they are taking
> these dumps at their own risk. Dumping at this frequency is usually reserved for
> people with dysentery so they know the risk of building the laxative circuit you have
> constructed. Out of pure brawn.

I think you mean pure brown

I've got 2 tapes here too. One was already dumped the other could be DS Telejang I think. Not 100% sure though.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: "Please make your dumps 44100Hz or higher" new [Re: TheGuru]
#251629 - 04/12/11 02:46 PM

> > There's no need for that. Clearly after they read your post they know they are
> taking
> > these dumps at their own risk. Dumping at this frequency is usually reserved for
> > people with dysentery so they know the risk of building the laxative circuit you
> have
> > constructed. Out of pure brawn.
>
> I think you mean pure brown
>

Aww poop, I made a typo.

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

Re: "Please make your dumps 44100Hz or higher" new [Re: gregf]
#251637 - 04/12/11 06:05 PM

> Juergen had posted on MAME.net forum of how the tapes were recorded. I never saved
> that post and missed the technical details that Juergen had mentioned in the post of
> tapes were recorded. Another reason of why all that stuff should be in MAME source
> code whenever possible.

Finally, a proper archive of at least the forums here would do also (in between).

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 276 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3329