MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

You know you're running outdated hardware
#251066 - 04/06/11 08:26 PM

When the simplest of pages takes over 5 minutes to load

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

Re: You know you're running outdated hardware new [Re: Naoki]
#251080 - 04/06/11 09:23 PM

> When the simplest of pages takes over 5 minutes to load

...but on th other side you plan to spend your monies for a second arcade system?

Naoki
Send PM

Re: You know you're running outdated hardware new [Re: CrapBoardSoftware]
#251086 - 04/06/11 09:59 PM

holy sheet you knew? lol, i need my priorities sorting, but then on the other hand, I like the way I am

----

By gods I've found it!

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

's them damn gifs and flash... new [Re: Naoki]
#251220 - 04/08/11 01:22 AM

and shit. I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with a 'blocker' for those things. Maybe someone has, and I need to look for it.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: 's them damn gifs and flash... new [Re: mogli]
#251229 - 04/08/11 02:18 AM Attachment: proxomitron.zip 1643 KB (2 downloads)

> and shit. I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with a 'blocker' for those things.
> Maybe someone has, and I need to look for it.

Firefox + AdBlock Plus works pretty good for blocking things that are advertisements or "ad-like".

If you want to go old-school, you can run Proxomitron with some of the homegrown filter sets. I think the one I use to use was called the "Grypen" filter set.

Proxomitron is a web filter proxy. All your browser requests go through it and it has a bunch of filter rules that re-write the HTML pages to remove ads and other annoying things. They even have an option to stop GIF animations.

The guy who wrote it died, so it's pretty much community supported at this point. Nobody has the source code so they've resorted to ui skinning patches that you can apply to the original EXE.

I've attached the final versions of Proxomitron, Proxopatcher, and Grypen's Filter Set in a zip file if anyone is interested.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: 's them damn gifs and flash... new [Re: krick]
#251236 - 04/08/11 03:38 AM

> I've attached the final versions of Proxomitron, Proxopatcher, and Grypen's Filter
> Set in a zip file if anyone is interested.

Thank you. Just before this, I did a search for 'indigenous' methods of blocking flash, and found that IE (no other browser has satisfied all my required criteria, alas) you can disable flash, and then each site will prompt, and only requires the first instance of permission.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Naoki
Send PM

Re: 's them damn gifs and flash... new [Re: mogli]
#251237 - 04/08/11 03:41 AM

I need to geta PC that is new and not dying/old. This motherboard is faulty at the best of times, well, better than the LGA775 board I have. And to think it had a really good Pentium 4 inside it, well, good to my standards anyway..

----

By gods I've found it!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 119 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1614