Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Anyone good with exterior wood trim?
#250969 - 04/06/11 05:09 AM

Trimming out the corners of the garage, can't decide on a wood. I'll be painting whatever I put up, so durability isn't so much of a concern. I'll need roughly 150ft of trim, so cost is a bit of a concern.

Cedar is cheap, looks decent and paints well. Worried that cedar attracts bees and such though.

Some of the textured mdf trim products look real nice, but I'm concerned they won't hold up well.

All of the vinyl and pvc based trims look a little cheesy, and are mega costly.

Anyone have thoughts? Anything else they've worked with?

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Anyone good with exterior wood trim? new [Re: italie]
#250971 - 04/06/11 06:05 AM

I thought cedar repels insects. I have some unfinished cedar on my front porch and it has held up pretty good. I did get a couple of carpenter bees last year drilling holes, though. Apparently they don't know they aren't supposed to like cedar. Hopefully the can of wasp and hornet spay that I emptied into the hole killed her and babies. I'll give the hole a shot again this year too before i pump it full of caulk.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Anyone good with exterior wood trim? new [Re: redk9258]
#250981 - 04/06/11 07:05 AM

> I thought cedar repels insects. I have some unfinished cedar on my front porch and it
> has held up pretty good. I did get a couple of carpenter bees last year drilling
> holes, though. Apparently they don't know they aren't supposed to like cedar.
> Hopefully the can of wasp and hornet spay that I emptied into the hole killed her and
> babies. I'll give the hole a shot again this year too before i pump it full of caulk.

That is the big one I was afraid of, you can actually ~hear~ them chewing through my father-n-laws gazebo. Nasty little things.

I am leaning more toward cedar, everyone I've asked has mentioned it. I figure as long as it's painted anyway, it should hold up. Did the cedar on your porch warp or shrink at all?

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

#250986 - 04/06/11 07:10 AM

> I did get a couple of carpenter bees last year drilling holes, though.

Ewwwww. Hope that's the last you see of them. Vicious little vandals. Had a nasty run in with them myself a few years ago on the deck.

"What the... Why are there tiny little piles of sawdust all over the OMGWHATTHEHELL!??!?"

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#250987 - 04/06/11 07:19 AM

If you can afford the vinyl, go for it because it lasts forever and you never have to paint it.

A cheaper no-paint alternative is putting up wood and then "wrapping" it with vinyl-coated aluminum. You can even get rolls of aluminum that are embossed with a faint wood-grain texture, if you so desire, for more realism.

I hate painting with a passion, so I'll do anything to avoid it.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#250990 - 04/06/11 08:33 AM

> I am leaning more toward cedar, everyone I've asked has mentioned it. I figure as
> long as it's painted anyway, it should hold up.

My first thought of cedar was those knots that ooze sap every once in a while and discolor paint, but I guess that could be any wood where knots are present.... And, of course, that doesn't mean you have to buy cedar boards that have knots in them (I'm sure they'd have some without knots).

But I'm not an expert on anything like that.

LEVEL-4

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Just a suggestion... new [Re: italie]
#250993 - 04/06/11 10:20 AM

What ever you use to finish, spray some of this on it when you are done. Wear a mask and gloves. If you get the really nasty stuff, stand way back. I took out a huge 3'X3' hornets nest with about a 1/4 can. It's residual and lasts for a few years. And the nasty stuff is even worse(Can FUp your DNA). You can drop a bird out of the air with this stuff.

Hope that helps with the last rebuilding stage...

http://www.mantek.com/productView_byName...KO+PLUS+AEROSOL

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#251011 - 04/06/11 02:37 PM

> That is the big one I was afraid of, you can actually ~hear~ them chewing through my
> father-n-laws gazebo. Nasty little things.
>
> I am leaning more toward cedar, everyone I've asked has mentioned it. I figure as
> long as it's painted anyway, it should hold up. Did the cedar on your porch warp or
> shrink at all?

There has been a little warping and shrinkage, but it's like 20 years old. It is under cover but exposed to weather.

I don't know where to purchase it, but have you heard of a new type of treated lumber that has glass infused into it? It looked like the best of all worlds. Paintable, insects hate it, rot resistance, doesn't warp, etc.

Here is a distributor near you...
Arnold, Steve
Big Bay Lumber
1017 W. Division Street
Chicago, IL 60642
(312) 642-8694 (business)
[email protected]

I'm curious how much it costs as opposed to cedar or pressure treated.

Edited by redk9258 (04/06/11 02:41 PM)

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#251012 - 04/06/11 02:45 PM

> > That is the big one I was afraid of, you can actually ~hear~ them chewing through
> my
> > father-n-laws gazebo. Nasty little things.
> >
> > I am leaning more toward cedar, everyone I've asked has mentioned it. I figure as
> > long as it's painted anyway, it should hold up. Did the cedar on your porch warp or
> > shrink at all?
>
> There has been a little warping and shrinkage, but it's like 20 years old. It is
> under cover but exposed to weather.
>
> I don't know where to purchase it, but have you heard of a new type of treated lumber
> that has glass infused into it? It looked like the best of all worlds. Paintable,
> insects hate it, rot resistance, doesn't warp, etc.
>
> Here is a distributor near you...
> Arnold, Steve
> Big Bay Lumber
> 1017 W. Division Street
> Chicago, IL 60642
> (312) 642-8694 (business)
> [email protected]
>
> I'm curious how much it costs as opposed to cedar or pressure treated.

Ahh Timbersil. Local distributer has that. Looks like awesome stuff, but I might as well be trimming with gold bars....

I'm sure the price will come down some day.

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#251015 - 04/06/11 03:26 PM

So how much is it compared to cedar or pressure treated?

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Brick new [Re: italie]
#251019 - 04/06/11 03:53 PM

It does a body good.

Kinda late maybe, since you usually need to account for it in the design.

I vowed never to build with wood extereriors ever again... or wood structure at all if I can avoid it. Closest I'll even consider is hardieplank, which is kind of a concrete product that looks like wood.

>Worried that cedar attracts bees and such though

WHAT!? Ceder attracts bees?

italieAdministrator
Send PM

#251027 - 04/06/11 04:46 PM

> So how much is it compared to cedar or pressure treated?

Local supplier wants $14 a 10ft run. I'm sure I can find it cheaper, but I'm getting to lazy to shop around...

I can do the same length of cedar or PT for <$5

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Brick new [Re: GatKong]
#251037 - 04/06/11 06:16 PM

> It does a body good.
>
> Kinda late maybe, since you usually need to account for it in the design.

Yeah, a little late in the game. I had thought about it initially but the wife pimp-smacked me back into reality. I'm glad she did, I would probably still be laying brick at this point.

> I vowed never to build with wood extereriors ever again... or wood structure at all
> if I can avoid it. Closest I'll even consider is hardieplank, which is kind of a
> concrete product that looks like wood.

I'm trying to match the style of a 100 year old craftsman house as best I can, wood is inevitable (he-he-heh...). I'm cheating a little and using vinyl siding instead of cement shingles. I can't stand working with those...

I did look at the hardiboard, but it too is a little expensive compared to traditional trim. I'm more apt to sink the money saved into the garages interior or beefing up the electrical. I can always re-trim later if I stay in the house for a while.

> > Worried that cedar attracts bees and such though
>
> WHAT!? Ceder attracts bees?

Carpenter bees. I'm not sure if it's Cedar specifically that attracts them, or just unfinished/soft wood in general.

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

Re: Anyone good with exterior wood trim? new [Re: aavada]
#251051 - 04/06/11 07:40 PM

> > I did get a couple of carpenter bees last year drilling holes, though.
>
>
> Ewwwww. Hope that's the last you see of them. Vicious little vandals. Had a nasty run
> in with them myself a few years ago on the deck.
>
> "What the... Why are there tiny little piles of sawdust all over the
> OMGWHATTHEHELL!??!?"

Termites are just as bad.

Kevin Eshbach

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 300 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1262