Pages: 1

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

bypassing a thermodisk
#250033 - 03/27/11 05:16 AM

I've got no choice. Old man winter lingers... & I need heat.

My thinking is that since the thermodisc is having trouble sensing heat and stopping the auger motor every few minutes -causing my fire to burn out- that I can just bypass this heat sensor and connect the wires going to it to each other.

I really hope my house doesn't burn down.

LEVEL-4

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: bypassing a thermodisk new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#250034 - 03/27/11 06:10 AM

I wouldn't do that unless I was standing right next to it. So what is this a pellet stove? Are you sure that is what is bad and not the motor itself? Do you have a meter or even a test light?

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: bypassing a thermodisk new [Re: redk9258]
#250040 - 03/27/11 07:00 AM

> I wouldn't do that unless I was standing right next to it. So what is this a pellet
> stove? Are you sure that is what is bad and not the motor itself? Do you have a meter
> or even a test light?

If you/anyone recalls this... http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...true#Post243444

I've got a meter, but it would be extremely difficult to get in there with anything to check and see what's going on. Unless I moved the stove out further from the wall...

Since I shorted it out it didn't quit as quickly as it would before... that is to say - it didn't quit at all and seemed to work as it normally should.

LEVEL-4

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#250048 - 03/27/11 09:05 AM

Is this sensor supposed to regulate how the pellets are fed or to stop the pellets if the fire is out? In other words, Is it a control for the auger motor or a safety feature you are bypassing? Do you have a wiring diagram of this thing?

Edit:

Is this sensor similar to the high limit on a furnace that cuts the gas off if the burner gets too hot from something like a failed blower motor?

Edited by redk9258 (03/27/11 09:11 AM)

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: bypassing a thermodisk new [Re: redk9258]
#250051 - 03/27/11 09:35 AM

> Is this sensor supposed to regulate how the pellets are fed or to stop the pellets if
> the fire is out? In other words, Is it a control for the auger motor or a safety
> feature you are bypassing? Do you have a wiring diagram of this thing?

I'm pretty certain it's supposed to stop the auger motor when the fire goes out stove cools down.

But that must take effect after so much time -since the temp wouldn't be high enough at the start, so it could have a timer somewhere to ignore some shut-off signal to give time for it to warm up. I guess.

If it's a safety feature?... I don't think it is really.

Diagram?... See page 10 of this.

The wires I connected together were the 2 orange with the 1 yellow.

> Is this sensor similar to the high limit on a furnace that cuts the gas off if the
> burner gets too hot from something like a failed blower motor?

There is a thermodisc/sensor for the blower that will stop it if the temp gets too high.

eta: also, see page 9, Troubleshooting, 5.1, #4 I'll probably be needing to call the dealer.

LEVEL-4

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

house didn't burn down [nt] new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#250066 - 03/27/11 03:02 PM

yay!

LEVEL-4

redk9258
Regular
Send PM

#250075 - 03/27/11 07:02 PM

> eta: also, see page 9, Troubleshooting, 5.1, #4 I'll probably be needing to call the
> dealer.

I think I would just replace that part before calling a dealer. Can you get to it? Is there a part number on it?

Maybe THIS will help troubleshoot?

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Thanks new [Re: redk9258]
#250088 - 03/27/11 11:04 PM

> > eta: also, see page 9, Troubleshooting, 5.1, #4 I'll probably be needing to call
> the
> > dealer.
>
> I think I would just replace that part before calling a dealer. Can you get to it? Is
> there a part number on it?
>
> Maybe THIS will help troubleshoot?

It'll be a while before I can do anything and it seems simple enough. I'll print that out for future reference.

LEVEL-4

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 259 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1539