Bart

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

Re: Look at the size of that damn moon new [Re: Smitdogg]
#249223 - 03/18/11 08:17 PM

said that to my wife,now i'm writing in starbucks...but for what it was worth they make strong coffee.....

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: That's no moon... new [Re: Bart T.]
#249230 - 03/18/11 08:52 PM

> ... it's a space station.

More please!

- Stiletto

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Britland
Send PM

Re: That's no moon... new [Re: Bart T.]
#249233 - 03/18/11 09:44 PM

> ... it's a space station.

I was think the other day about how the Ewoks come from the moon of Endor - that would be weird, an inhabital, temperate planet that was actually the moon of a gas giant (I assume that's what Endor was meant to be) what would the day / night cycle be like for one? how long would a year be? etc?

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Re: That's no moon... new [Re: Fever]
#249243 - 03/19/11 12:18 AM

> > ... it's a space station.
>
> I was think the other day about how the Ewoks come from the moon of Endor - that
> would be weird, an inhabital, temperate planet that was actually the moon of a gas
> giant (I assume that's what Endor was meant to be) what would the day / night cycle
> be like for one? how long would a year be? etc?

Depends on how you define a year. I guess they would have 2 kinds of years, a lesser year (rotation around Endor) and a major year (rotation around Endor's star).

However the gas giant wouldn't be so giant. Probably product of a small second generation star (e.g. the Sun is a third gen star). If it were larger, it would be further from the star, so the moon would be frozen and non inhabitable. If not with a size like Jupiter but a distance like Mars, its orbit would be unstable so it would have been swallowed by the star or launched in an elliptic orbit making it again non inhabitable.

But this is all junk, I know nothing of astrophysics.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

jopezu
bread-train
Loc: georgia
Send PM

hope no insane earthquakes and crap happen. nt new [Re: Smitdogg]
#249274 - 03/19/11 03:29 AM

> http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/03/18/nasa.moon/index.html?hpt=C2

i learned everything i know from KC

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: That's no moon... new [Re: Pi]
#249320 - 03/19/11 08:12 AM

> Depends on how you define a year. I guess they would have 2 kinds of years, a lesser
> year (rotation around Endor) and a major year (rotation around Endor's star).

If the moon were tidally locked, though, the rotation around the planet would essentially be the day/night cycle. Depending on the speed of the orbit, days and nights could be exceptionally long by our standards. A lunar day on our moon is roughly 30 Earth days.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: That's no moon... new [Re: DMala]
#249326 - 03/19/11 10:01 AM

> > Depends on how you define a year. I guess they would have 2 kinds of years, a
> lesser
> > year (rotation around Endor) and a major year (rotation around Endor's star).
>
> If the moon were tidally locked, though, the rotation around the planet would
> essentially be the day/night cycle. Depending on the speed of the orbit, days and
> nights could be exceptionally long by our standards. A lunar day on our moon is
> roughly 30 Earth days.

It'd be exactly a moonth, if they'd just fix the months and stop worrying about them ending at the same time as the years. New moon should always = new month.

Ganymede orbits Jupiter in roughly a week, and is tidally locked. The sun is rather distant, though. I'd move to the planet-ward side for better light, so Jupiter would go dim for half of every week.

Io gets around in only 42.5 hours, give or take, but it doesn't look like a nice place to live.

So anyway, there's no reason for the orbital period of Endor to be very long, but it is. Over 400 days, though I don't know if those are Endor days (18 hours) or Earth days. Those numbers are probably there just to explain how it manages to be a "forest" moon. If the planet (also Endor) isn't the primary source of light and heat, those Ewoks are in for some long, cold, dark winters.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: That's no moon... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#249417 - 03/20/11 08:20 AM

Well,

If it gets that cold and the the snow gets that deep... Wouldn't it be wise to be compact with a thick fur and live above the snow/frost line?

Also, if a Death Star came into your planet or moons gravity field, would it not do some major damage? Not to mention the surounding planetary bodies & dark matter, strings & such.
Sorry, I don't have the algo-calcs for that.

JAT

sorry, lick them I do - oops... like them I do, heh heh
Oh hell.. both...

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Look at the size of that damn moon new [Re: Smitdogg]
#249433 - 03/20/11 02:46 PM

> http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/03/18/nasa.moon/index.html?hpt=C2

Just went outside to see for myself. Unfortunately there is a lot of thick, fast-moving cloud obscuring the moon, however when the occasional gap passes, the moon is brilliantly white, and can cast a shadow. The darker areas across the centre are easily seen with the naked eye.

It doesn't actually look that much bigger, but it sure is brighter.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 112 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1709