View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

METRODUCK
Regular
Reged: 09/22/03
Send PM

i have a virus i need help
#249118 - 03/17/11 08:52 PM

to get rid of i have win xp and i keep getting windows media player pop ups all the time i have avg installed not real sure how to get rid of it anybody have an idea thanks for your help

Hats off to Tessa west 6/13/1981 -7/11/09

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: i have a virus i need help new [Re: METRODUCK]
#249119 - 03/17/11 09:00 PM

> to get rid of i have win xp and i keep getting windows media player pop ups all the
> time i have avg installed not real sure how to get rid of it anybody have an idea
> thanks for your help

That's not a virus, it's malware. Anti-virus don't protect against all malware available so you need to use additional tools you must update and run manually.

Malwarebytes + Spybot S&D combo so far never fails me.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

posting from your cell phone? [nt] new [Re: METRODUCK]
#249124 - 03/17/11 09:56 PM

> to get rid of i have win xp and i keep getting windows media player pop ups all the
> time i have avg installed not real sure how to get rid of it anybody have an idea
> thanks for your help

Hmmm...

LEVEL-4

FatTrucker
Randomly pressing buttons in hope of success.
Reged: 01/31/06
Loc: London UK
Send PM

#249130 - 03/17/11 10:35 PM

> thanks for your help

Try SUPERantispyware. Stupid name, pretty effective little tool.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#249132 - 03/17/11 10:50 PM

Get rid of AVG and get Microsoft Security Essentials.
Also like the others said run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (free version), Spybot - Search & Destroy, and SUPERAntiSpyware.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: i have a virus i need help new [Re: redk9258]
#249135 - 03/17/11 11:12 PM

> Get rid of AVG and get Microsoft Security Essentials.
> Also like the others said run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (free version), Spybot -
> Search & Destroy, and SUPERAntiSpyware.

Along the lines of MWB, I've been very impressed by a quick-and-dirty cloud-based anti-spyware called Hitman Pro. Not for everyday... but when you're disinfecting...
http://www.surfright.nl/en

- Stiletto

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Britland
Send PM

Re: i have a virus i need help new [Re: BIOS-D]
#249240 - 03/19/11 12:05 AM

> > to get rid of i have win xp and i keep getting windows media player pop ups all the
> > time i have avg installed not real sure how to get rid of it anybody have an idea
> > thanks for your help
>
> That's not a virus, it's malware. Anti-virus don't protect against all malware
> available so you need to use additional tools you must update and run manually.
>
> Malwarebytes + Spybot S&D combo so far never fails me.

If all else fails (and I have to fight malware a lot as I work in a school that was fool enough to run a 'Laptops for Students' scheme for a number of years) I run ComboFix from safe mode, which is a weird little heuristic thing that run in a command shell box and seems to be a silver bullet for the really annoying stuff that the normal scanners miss (but misses the vast majority of stuff that the others get so you can't only use it)

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: i have a virus i need help new [Re: BIOS-D]
#249242 - 03/19/11 12:16 AM

> Malwarebytes + Spybot S&D combo so far never fails me.

Agreed. You should make sure that you run the "immunize" step in Spybot too after updating Spybot with the latest definitions.

Also, once you get your machine clean, there's a few simple things you can do to help protect yourself in the future...

1) Start using Firefox along with the AdBlockPlus plugin...
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/
One of the biggest attack vectors for malware is through flash-based ads and/or popups and AdBlockPlus stops 99.9% of them.

2) Change your router to use OpenDNS as your DNS provider. They block a lot of sites that are known to distribute malware. It's free, you don't need to sign up or download and install anything. You just need to manually configure these DNS servers in your router:

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 115 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1532