MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

dfrance
Crazed Collector
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: The Black
Send PM

What to read next...classic sci-fi recommendations?
#248770 - 03/14/11 12:22 AM

OK...I'm way behind on my reading...I'm reading my first Heinlein book now, about half-way thru "Stranger in a Strange Land". Any recommendations where to go next? Looking for something on the list of books "you gotta read before you die"...something "classic" I can get lost into for days/weeks...

Asimov (read "I, Robot"...should I go with the Foundation series, if so where to start?)?

Clarke? (I own, but have never read, 2001...planned on reading it back in '99, but just sorta lost interest)

P.K.Dick (I just finished a collection of shorts, including Minority Report and really enjoyed it)?

Other Heinlein (have heard "Starship Troopers" is good...wasn't a fan of the film, but that doesn't mean a thing). I really like the character of Jubal Harshaw...I find his dialogue in the book to be very easy to follow...you know, that narrative voice in your head?

Brooks' "World War Z" (another one recommended to me)?

Any of the Terry Pratchett books?

Harlan Ellison? (I recently read Blish's collection of Star Trek episodes, and loved reading about the controversy behind "The City on the Edge of Forever"...I used to think he was a colossal prick, but watched some interviews with him and something clicked...I "tuned into" his sense of humor and understood where he was coming from, commentary/opinion-wise...I like how he says exactly what's on his mind)

I've read a ton of Doctor Who (all the new "BBC Books" series...which I realize is kid stuff, but I'm a Who fan) and am taking a break from the Target paperbacks (which I'm reading in the order which the episodes aired).

I've read Sagan's "Cosmos", loved the film, loved the book even more.

I'm off all this week on vacation (my two son's...9 & 12...are on Spring Break here in the US) and the wife, boyz, and I are heading out for some R&R. But I need something to read pool-side or at night (chronic insomniac...sometimes the 400mg of Seroquel the Doc put me on isn't even enough).

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: What to read next...classic sci-fi recommendations? new [Re: dfrance]
#248777 - 03/14/11 02:09 AM

Two off the top of my head...

William Gibson - Neuromancer is a tad dated these days, but still a classic. Pretty much anything else he's written is pretty good as well. His most recent trilogy (Pattern Recognition, Spook Country, and Zero History) aren't really sci-fi, technology has caught up with him over the years. They're still a pretty good read, though.

Harry Harrison - it's been a while since I've read anything by him, but I always enjoyed the Stainless Steel Rat and Bill, the Galactic Hero series. Worth checking out if you're looking for something more funny and less serious.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#248778 - 03/14/11 02:17 AM

> OK...I'm way behind on my reading...I'm reading my first Heinlein book now, about
> half-way thru "Stranger in a Strange Land". Any recommendations where to go next?
> Looking for something on the list of books "you gotta read before you
> die"...something "classic" I can get lost into for days/weeks...
>
> Asimov (read "I, Robot"...should I go with the Foundation series, if so where to
> start?)?
>
> Clarke? (I own, but have never read, 2001...planned on reading it back in '99, but
> just sorta lost interest)
>
> P.K.Dick (I just finished a collection of shorts, including Minority Report and
> really enjoyed it)?
>
> Other Heinlein (have heard "Starship Troopers" is good...wasn't a fan of the film,
> but that doesn't mean a thing). I really like the character of Jubal Harshaw...I find
> his dialogue in the book to be very easy to follow...you know, that narrative voice
> in your head?
>
> Brooks' "World War Z" (another one recommended to me)?
>
> Any of the Terry Pratchett books?
>
> Harlan Ellison? (I recently read Blish's collection of Star Trek episodes, and loved
> reading about the controversy behind "The City on the Edge of Forever"...I used to
> think he was a colossal prick, but watched some interviews with him and something
> clicked...I "tuned into" his sense of humor and understood where he was coming from,
> commentary/opinion-wise...I like how he says exactly what's on his mind)
>
> I've read a ton of Doctor Who (all the new "BBC Books" series...which I realize is
> kid stuff, but I'm a Who fan) and am taking a break from the Target paperbacks (which
> I'm reading in the order which the episodes aired).
>
> I've read Sagan's "Cosmos", loved the film, loved the book even more.
>
> I'm off all this week on vacation (my two son's...9 & 12...are on Spring Break here
> in the US) and the wife, boyz, and I are heading out for some R&R. But I need
> something to read pool-side or at night (chronic insomniac...sometimes the 400mg of
> Seroquel the Doc put me on isn't even enough).

Have you read Dune?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

dfrance
Crazed Collector
Send PM

Re: What to read next...classic sci-fi recommendations? new [Re: DMala]
#248779 - 03/14/11 02:17 AM

> William Gibson - Neuromancer

Heard of this one...or maybe the title caught my eye.

> Harry Harrison...

Thanks for those - will add them to my list.

dfrance
Crazed Collector
Send PM

Re: What to read next...classic sci-fi recommendations? new [Re: Master O]
#248780 - 03/14/11 02:23 AM

> Have you read Dune?

Back in High School (mid 80's)...and only the first one, but that's a good one to add back to the queue. My wife read it a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I keep most of my books and have read several many times, I can remember the most obscure things from music or movies, but reading recollection has always been something that fades quickly...yea, think it's time to add that one back to the read pile. :-) Thanks

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#248782 - 03/14/11 02:36 AM

> > Have you read Dune?
>
> Back in High School (mid 80's)...and only the first one, but that's a good one to add
> back to the queue. My wife read it a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I keep most
> of my books and have read several many times, I can remember the most obscure things
> from music or movies, but reading recollection has always been something that fades
> quickly...yea, think it's time to add that one back to the read pile. :-) Thanks

If memory serves, there are multiple Dune books, too.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#248785 - 03/14/11 03:52 AM

> OK...I'm way behind on my reading...I'm reading my first Heinlein book now, about
> half-way thru "Stranger in a Strange Land". Any recommendations where to go next?
> Looking for something on the list of books "you gotta read before you
> die"...something "classic" I can get lost into for days/weeks...
>
> Other Heinlein (have heard "Starship Troopers" is good...wasn't a fan of the film,
> but that doesn't mean a thing). I really like the character of Jubal Harshaw...I find
> his dialogue in the book to be very easy to follow...you know, that narrative voice
> in your head?
>

I Recommend reading more Heinlein. In particular, "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" is considered one of his best. Other excellent books include "Time Enough for Love" and "Friday".

Speaking of Jubal Harshaw, that character appears in several other Heinlein books...
"The Number of the Beast", "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls", "To Sail Beyond the Sunset". Supposedly, these three books should be read in order after "Time Enough for Love" because there's somewhat of a continuity. I read them completely out of order so I need to go back and read them again.

Check out these two links from the Heinlein FAQ for more good reading suggestions:
http://www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah/rahfaq.html#0408
http://www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah/rahfaq.html#0409

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#248786 - 03/14/11 03:58 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_of_the_Apes_(novel)

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#248789 - 03/14/11 04:24 AM

The enders game series is ok. The first one is great. The others meh ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender%27s_Game

Also if you are into star trek

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Prime

Not a 'classic' as it were but one of the better ones out of those st books.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#248804 - 03/14/11 08:25 AM

"Heard of" Neuromancer?! What the hell are you doing on the internet if you've only "heard of" it?
Seriously though, I really enjoy Gibson's writing style. He runs concurrent threads featuring several characters, and brings them together. Read the first trilogy (Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive) and his early short stories (Burning Chrome), then his second trilogy (Virtual Light, Idoru, All Tomorrow's Parties), and *THE* steampunk novel, The Difference Engine. The world conspires to keep me from the stuff he's written in this century.

There are quite a number of Dune novels. Six by Herbert himself, which is what I've read. Another ten, I think, by his son and someone else, that I haven't touched.

I haven't read Asimov since high school (back in the '80s). In his later works he tied most of his stuff together, so Robots, Empire, Foundation, the whole thing is about 17 novels, most of which are short on action (I think I rather enjoyed the Robot series, starting with The Caves of Steel). I couldn't say how best to read them all, except in the order they were written.

As always, less-classic recommendations of Dan Simmons, Peter F. Hamilton. Can I add Thomas (a.k.a. Tom) Easton?

If I ever get through this stack of magazines, there's a stack of old books next to it. I can see Sturgeon and Bradbury near the top....

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: What to read next...classic sci-fi recommendations? new [Re: krick]
#248805 - 03/14/11 08:30 AM

> > OK...I'm way behind on my reading...I'm reading my first Heinlein book now, about
> > half-way thru "Stranger in a Strange Land". Any recommendations where to go next?
> > Looking for something on the list of books "you gotta read before you
> > die"...something "classic" I can get lost into for days/weeks...
> >
> > Other Heinlein (have heard "Starship Troopers" is good...wasn't a fan of the film,
> > but that doesn't mean a thing). I really like the character of Jubal Harshaw...I
> find
> > his dialogue in the book to be very easy to follow...you know, that narrative voice
> > in your head?
> >
>
> I Recommend reading more Heinlein. In particular, "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" is
> considered one of his best. Other excellent books include "Time Enough for Love" and
> "Friday".
>
> Speaking of Jubal Harshaw, that character appears in several other Heinlein books...
> "The Number of the Beast", "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls", "To Sail Beyond the
> Sunset". Supposedly, these three books should be read in order after "Time Enough for
> Love" because there's somewhat of a continuity. I read them completely out of order
> so I need to go back and read them again.
>
> Check out these two links from the Heinlein FAQ for more good reading suggestions:
> http://www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah/rahfaq.html#0408
> http://www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah/rahfaq.html#0409

Almost last page: Oh, here's a cat, it walks through walls. I got a rather late start on those books, as I couldn't buy a book titled "The Number of the Beast" until I had gotten away from home.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: What to read next...classic sci-fi recommendations? new [Re: TriggerFin]
#248809 - 03/14/11 09:02 AM

> Almost last page: Oh, here's a cat, it walks through walls. I got a rather late start
> on those books, as I couldn't buy a book titled "The Number of the Beast" until I had
> gotten away from home.

I thought "The Cat who Walks Through Walls" had an unsatisfying ending. I know that Heinlein was trying to go for a Schrödinger's cat kind of thing, which I respect and it was interesting, but kind of left you hanging. I guess that was kind of the point though.

Incidentally, the ending to "The Cat who Walks Through Walls" links it to pivotal events that happen in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" so I recommend that you read that one first.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

Re: What to read next...classic sci-fi recommendations? new [Re: Master O]
#248819 - 03/14/11 01:36 PM

> > > Have you read Dune?
> >
> > Back in High School (mid 80's)...and only the first one, but that's a good one to
> add
> > back to the queue. My wife read it a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I keep
> most
> > of my books and have read several many times, I can remember the most obscure
> things
> > from music or movies, but reading recollection has always been something that fades
> > quickly...yea, think it's time to add that one back to the read pile. :-) Thanks
>
> If memory serves, there are multiple Dune books, too.

At this point, I think it's nearly 20 of them, if you count all the 'cash cow' stuff his nephew (?) has done.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

JWJr
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/15/04
Send PM

#248843 - 03/14/11 08:07 PM

Absolutely the Foundation series, but you need to read 'em in the correct order. In the forward of Prelude, Issac defined the order thusly:

1. The Complete Robot (1982) and/or I, Robot (1950)
2. Caves of Steel (1954)
3. The Naked Sun (1957)
4. The Robots of Dawn (1983)
5. Robots and Empire (1985)
6. The Currents of Space (1952)
7. The Stars, Like Dust (1951)
8. Pebble in the Sky (1950)
9. Prelude to Foundation (1988)
*10. Forward the Foundation (1993)
11. Foundation (1951)
12. Foundation and Empire 5 (1952)
13. Second Foundation 5 (1953)
14. Foundation's Edge (1982)
15. Foundation and Earth (1986)

# 10 gets an asterisk because it was not on Asimov's original list, having not been written yet; from the content, this is the order in which it belongs.

Having previously read all of them in published order, I spent one glorious summer a couple of years ago re-reading them all in this order. I recommend it highly. -JW

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: What to read next...classic sci-fi recommendations? new [Re: JWJr]
#248852 - 03/14/11 10:10 PM

> Absolutely the Foundation series, but you need to read 'em in the correct order. In
> the forward of Prelude, Issac defined the order thusly:
>
> 1. The Complete Robot (1982) and/or I, Robot (1950)
> 2. Caves of Steel (1954)
> 3. The Naked Sun (1957)
> 4. The Robots of Dawn (1983)
> 5. Robots and Empire (1985)
> 6. The Currents of Space (1952)
> 7. The Stars, Like Dust (1951)
> 8. Pebble in the Sky (1950)
> 9. Prelude to Foundation (1988)
> *10. Forward the Foundation (1993)
> 11. Foundation (1951)
> 12. Foundation and Empire 5 (1952)
> 13. Second Foundation 5 (1953)
> 14. Foundation's Edge (1982)
> 15. Foundation and Earth (1986)
>
> # 10 gets an asterisk because it was not on Asimov's original list, having not been
> written yet; from the content, this is the order in which it belongs.
>
> Having previously read all of them in published order, I spent one glorious summer a
> couple of years ago re-reading them all in this order. I recommend it highly. -JW

The End of Eternity, Nemesis, and The Positronic Man are missing from that list; they have some connections to the Foundation series. It has been far too long for me to place them properly.

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

#248862 - 03/15/11 01:24 AM

If you're in the mood for an undiscovered gem I suggestAdam Robert's 'salt', the setting is reminicentr of Dune but the planet is a huge ball of salt rather than sand and its Anarchists Vs. Fascists and human nature and stuff - it's good!
Also the Graphic novel of Watchmen is probably better then you image, even if you thinh it might be good - its better then that, really good infact! Haven't seen the film so I can't say how it compares...

Cable
retro gamer
Reged: 08/30/08
Loc: UK
Send PM

#248864 - 03/15/11 01:58 AM

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester
This book hooked me from the start with Gully Foyle (main character) left to survive in space with only the oxygen left in the ships locker he hidding in, after a surprise attack. The book follows his un hero like quest for revenge.

Then the truely amazing Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon
The narrator tell of his journey from earth, transported to not only other worlds, but other galaxies, parallel universes and through time, big bang though to the end (as amazing as it is you better have a dictionary handy)

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Send PM

#248902 - 03/15/11 01:25 PM

May I recommend Andre Norton, Anne McCaffery and C.J. Cherryh as well as all the other good recommendations in this thread.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

I disagree on the Asimov new [Re: TriggerFin]
#249072 - 03/17/11 04:43 AM

Initially, the Robot and Foundation series' were separate. It was only much later that he conjoined them. As well, they're different kinds of stories. I say:

- start with publishing chronology.

- and read either Foundation or Robots separately

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Schrodiner's Cat trilogy wadn't great, anyways..... new [Re: krick]
#249073 - 03/17/11 04:45 AM

The Illuminatus! . And then maybe Cosmic Trigger, I've been told.

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

More on Foundation new [Re: TriggerFin]
#249546 - 03/22/11 06:03 AM

For those who might have interest in more....modern...renditions and such of this universe, I recommend Gregory Benford's Foundation's Fear.

(Don't bother with the other two in the set. I love both Bear and Brin, but these are not their best....and, arguably, the approaches taken were largely to blame.)

Also, a novella by Donald Kingsbury called Historical Crisis - which he expanded into a novel called Psychohistorical Crisis. Both excellent.

PS: here is a great passage about neat stuff from Kingsbury's site:

Since 1999 I have been researching ancient measures, and have found startling validation of most of the work done by that amazing metrologist, Livio Catullo Stecchini (whose work I found at http://www.interpres.cz and in Peter Tompkins book Secrets of the Great Pyramid). I was trained as a mathematician, and patterns emerged from Stecchini's material that Stecchini himself was unaware of, indicating exactly how the ancient metrologists calibrated their measures -- which completely dispels old myths about where the old measures came from. You can bet your ass that they didn't use no king's foot or elbow length!

jcroach
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/27/04
Loc: Bloomington, Indiana
Send PM

#249555 - 03/22/11 02:47 PM

Thanks for posting this question. I don't have any recommendations, but I always love reading the suggestions. I posted a similar question a couple of years ago. Let me see if I can find it.

FatTrucker
Randomly pressing buttons in hope of success.
Reged: 01/31/06
Loc: London UK
Send PM

#249556 - 03/22/11 03:49 PM

By no means a 'classic' but I've just finished reading Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds after it was recommended by my brother in-law and its one of the best Sci Fi books I've ever read.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: What to read next...classic sci-fi recommendations? new [Re: jcroach]
#249557 - 03/22/11 03:51 PM

> I posted a similar question a couple of years ago. Let me
> see if I can find it.

Retention for most subforums here is a year from the most recent reply, so... No?

- Stiletto

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Gotta make my mind up, which book should I take? new [Re: dfrance]
#249560 - 03/22/11 04:17 PM

IT'S SCI-FI SCI-FI, GOTTA GET DOWN WITH SCI-FI. EVERYBODY'S LOOKING FORWARD TO THE FIC-TION.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Send PM

Re: Gotta make my mind up, which book should I take? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#249562 - 03/22/11 04:26 PM

> IT'S SCI-FI SCI-FI, GOTTA GET DOWN WITH SCI-FI. EVERYBODY'S LOOKING FORWARD TO THE
> FIC-TION.

All Hail the next Beiber.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Hail Beibser (nt) new [Re: igamabob]
#249563 - 03/22/11 04:29 PM

jcroach
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: What to read next...classic sci-fi recommendations? new [Re: Stiletto]
#249574 - 03/22/11 07:21 PM

> > I posted a similar question a couple of years ago. Let me
> > see if I can find it.
>
> Retention for most subforums here is a year from the most recent reply, so... No?
>
> - Stiletto

Yeah, couldn't find it. Oh well.

jcroach
MAME Fan
Send PM

#249575 - 03/22/11 07:24 PM

> Clarke? (I own, but have never read, 2001...planned on reading it back in '99, but
> just sorta lost interest)

I recommend Clark's "Childhood's End" from 1953 and "Rendezvous with Rama" from 1972. Both good reads.

CptGuapo
Beat'em-ups Lover
Reged: 03/18/08
Loc: Off to Never Never Land
Send PM

#250023 - 03/27/11 03:19 AM

I recommend Jorge Luis Calife's Books, a Brazilian author: Padrões de Contato (Patterns of Contact), Horizonte de Eventos (Horizon of Events) and Linha Terminal (Terminal Line), among others.

A curiosity about this author, in 1982 he got to be recognized by the appreciation made by Arthur C. Clarke in the book 2010: Odyssey 2, where Clarke mentions him because of a letter that inspired the book.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 527 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2506