Pages: 1

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Britland
Send PM

Crazy Bollywood terminator thingy
#248048 - 03/05/11 09:14 PM

Apparently this went viral and was huge and stuff so sorry if you've seen it before:

I found it because AV Club did a 'I saw this on purpose' on it
here
pretty mad

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Crazy Bollywood terminator thingy new [Re: Fever]
#248056 - 03/05/11 10:17 PM

> Apparently this went viral and was huge and stuff so sorry if you've seen it before:
>
> I found it because AV Club did a 'I saw this on purpose' on it
> here
> pretty mad

You've got to love Bollywood... they blatantly rip off American cinema, but they do it with such irrational exuberance that it doesn't even matter.

Wilhelm @ 4:18 FTW.

Mojo2000
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: North America
Send PM

Yikes. new [Re: DMala]
#248063 - 03/05/11 11:59 PM

> You've got to love Bollywood... they blatantly rip off American cinema, but they do
> it with such irrational exuberance that it doesn't even matter.

I was honestly frightened at that thing. Forget Robert Patrick's T-1000 and Kristanna Loken's T-X. It was like a Konami shmup boss come to life in a nightmare.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#248075 - 03/06/11 02:29 AM

That was absolutely terrible: the drill was turning the wrong way!

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#248088 - 03/06/11 05:24 AM

Some of their movies wouldn't be half bad if it wasn't for the fact that they ALWAYS shoehorn in a bunch of pointless dance numbers that have NOTHING to do with the rest of the movie. Seriously, India, what the fuck?

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

-yawn- India is a third world culture on it's way to.... new [Re: Mojo2000]
#248095 - 03/06/11 05:54 AM

becoming a first world country, and so of course they've absorbed everything entertainment in the US and Japan, and mixed it with their inherent need of animism.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Mojo2000
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: North America
Send PM

And I like it. new [Re: mogli]
#248116 - 03/06/11 01:12 PM

Endhiran, the movie from which the clip was taken, was actually quite enjoyable for me - even considering the random song-and-dance clips which would see out of place in Hollywood flicks. It's all about suspension of belief anyway...

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

In whatever form, most folks need *some* kind of religion.... new [Re: Mojo2000]
#248257 - 03/07/11 10:34 PM

However, generally those who don't are living in reaction to the perceived absolute oppression by religion. What to do, what to do?

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: And I like it. new [Re: Mojo2000]
#248293 - 03/08/11 04:04 AM

> Endhiran, the movie from which the clip was taken,

I saw this clip a month (?) or so ago, but I didn't realise it was from a real movie - I just thought it was a demo, or maybe some wip. Thanks for the info, I've now ordered the movie so I can watch the whole thing.

Moose

Moose
Send PM

Re: In whatever form, most folks need *some* kind of religion.... new [Re: mogli]
#248294 - 03/08/11 04:05 AM

> However, generally those who don't are living in reaction to the perceived absolute
> oppression by religion. What to do, what to do?

Am I ? Well that's sure news to me.

Moose

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: In whatever form, most folks need *some* kind of religion.... new [Re: Moose]
#248301 - 03/08/11 05:56 AM

> > However, generally those who don't are living in reaction to the perceived absolute
> > oppression by religion. What to do, what to do?
>
> Am I ? Well that's sure news to me.

Yeah, I don't know about that.

There is the realization that the purpose of the religion is to give people a reason for following the rules that make society work, but the rejection of it is due to nonsense rationals, and from that follows the dropping of the arcana, rather than the full rule set being the cause of the rejection of the rationals for them.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: And I like it. new [Re: Moose]
#248307 - 03/08/11 06:54 AM

> > Endhiran, the movie from which the clip was taken,
>
> I saw this clip a month (?) or so ago, but I didn't realise it was from a real movie
> - I just thought it was a demo, or maybe some wip. Thanks for the info, I've now
> ordered the movie so I can watch the whole thing.

I've been doing some research on this film.

This movie was filmed and released in Tamil (one of the many languages spoken in India) as "Enthiran" and is also referred to as "Endhiran" for some reason. They're probably trying to get the closest they can to the Tamil pronunciation without ripping out your tongue.

It was later dubbed into Hindi (one of the most widely spoken languages in India) and released as "Robot" and dubbed into Telugu and released as "Robo".

There are several DVD releases that I've seen. I believe that all versions have English subtitles...

- A Tamil language 2 DVD special edition from Ayngaran International - "Endthiran"
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004L2FCOW/?tag=3feetunder-20

- A Hindi dubbed DVD version from Venus/Reliance Home Video - "Robot"
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QIDWUC/?tag=3feetunder-20

- A Telugu dubbed DVD version from Bhavani DVD - "Robo"
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MCHR1W/?tag=3feetunder-20

- There's also a 2 in 1 Tamil DVD release that squeezes two complete movies on one DVD and is very poorly reviewed due to the obvious image quality problems. This one should be avoided...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004E2X8YU/?tag=3feetunder-20

Note that the movie is over 2.5 hours, so a dual layer DVD release is a must for decent picture quality.

- Finally there's a DVD release by Lotus Fivestar that I believe is in Tamil but I think it's on a single layer DVD so the quality isn't that great. I can't seem to find anywhere that has it for sale, but there's torrents floating around so I know it exists.

I've seen multiple cover artwork for each of these releases, so I think you need to look closely at the fine print to make sure you're getting what you think you're getting.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Moose
Send PM

Re: In whatever form, most folks need *some* kind of religion.... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#248384 - 03/09/11 04:36 AM

> > > However, generally those who don't are living in reaction to the perceived
> absolute
> > > oppression by religion. What to do, what to do?
> >
> > Am I ? Well that's sure news to me.
>
> Yeah, I don't know about that.
>
> There is the realization that the purpose of the religion is to give people a reason
> for following the rules that make society work, but the rejection of it is due to
> nonsense rationals, and from that follows the dropping of the arcana, rather than the
> full rule set being the cause of the rejection of the rationals for them.

All anyone needs to live by is one simple rule: do unto others as you would have them do unto you. In other words, treat other people how you would like to be treated.

If everyone lived by that, we wouldn't need any other laws, or monstrously complex legal systems, or religion to try and keep some people on the straight and narrow.

Moose

Gemini
Loc: Georgia
Send PM

I don't know that much about Bollywood movies, new [Re: Fever]
#248385 - 03/09/11 04:36 AM Attachment: neetu-chandra-400x300.jpg 79 KB (1 downloads)

but I know what I like

http://www.maximindia.in/girls/

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

mogli
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: In whatever form, most folks need *some* kind of religion.... new [Re: Moose]
#248399 - 03/09/11 08:40 AM

Quote:

There is the realization that the purpose of the religion is to give people a reason for following the rules that make society work, but the rejection of it is due to nonsense rationals, and from that follows the dropping of the arcana, rather than the full rule set being the cause of the rejection of the rationals for them.

Quote:

All anyone needs to live by is one simple rule: do unto others as you would have them do unto you. In other words, treat other people how you would like to be treated. If everyone lived by that, we wouldn't need any other laws, or monstrously complex legal systems, or religion to try and keep some people on the straight and narrow.

Religion, and Culture itself, gives identity. Some feel the identity religion offers is constraining. Arguably, the identity Culture offers is constraining.

When referencing a mode of behavior, it helps to define it. For example:

open: dauntlessly, yet casually - curious of, and emotionally, physically, spiritually available to

- yourself

- and someone unfamiliar

I find nothing else necessary.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2201